Recommendation On Hero To Buy?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Tomo Sukesada

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

Looking to pickup a hero mech with the 20% mc sale. Can anyone recommend an agile (speed, accel, decel) in the heavy or medium or light class? Jump jets optional. Clan or IS. The more durable, the better. To be used to skirmish and brawl. Already own an oxide and medusa. Thanks!

#2 Skanderborg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:08 PM

Yen-lo-wang looks like tons of fun , and its a good ole classic AC-20 brawler , or you could try the storm crow hero if you want clan tech.

Edited by Skanderborg, 26 May 2017 - 04:09 PM.

#3 Tomo Sukesada

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:42 PM

Totally forgot I owned YLW, ha ha! But not the storm crow, will check that one out. Thanks.

#4 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 04:46 PM

The Bounty Hunter II, I run it with xl300 3ER Large 4 Med Pulse, full jump jets, no endo / all the heat sinks. Its a beast.

#5 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 26 May 2017 - 05:29 PM

I'm having a fat load of fun with the Pakhet Huntsman.

Sure, you can replicate a few of it's builds on other variants, but you have to put missiles in the arms to do so, and I much prefer them in the high mounted torso hardpoints. It makes a fantastic SRM poptart (which is a playstyle I never new I loved until I started bouncing around like Tigger vomiting high explosive death) and jumping past the platform on river city and dumping missiles into the face of a lurking Cheeto while screaming SAAAIL never gets old.

It can brawl OK as long as you don't attract too much unfriendly attention, as it does run hot. I find It works better as a striker - pick a softened up enemy, do a mad bombing run, and jump back to cover, making sure you impress everyone with your sick jumpjet turns and last minute missile blasts as you sail through the air.

It's hitboxes are OK, but it is still a 50 tonner, and has no structure buffs to speak of, so try to curb your enthusiasm at the start of a fight and wait until battle lines are established. Long range peek fights are not your friend, and are probably the biggest weakness of the Pak - short range and impatient bloodlust do not mix.

I like to skill for the missile weapon crit quirks, a little cooldown reduction, and as much structure and armor as possible. Grabbing double coolshot is also a good idea, and radar derp is a must. I've even put a few points in the JJ tree - I keep telling myself I can tell the difference, but in my heart of hearts i'm not sold. Like most mediums, i'm finding the agility tree mostly optional, but YMMV.

Also, the 8 piece omnipod quirks are actually pretty good: 10% missile velocity and 15% turn rate.

Also, you can run 8xSRM6!

70% of the time, it works every time.

#6 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:08 PM

Death Knell - Sparky - Jester (and probably a camo for the Jester since the reworked one sucks). Play wise these are really fun laser brawlers. I use MPL for mine and get consistently good results with really fun matches.

Arrow is a notable mention because 6 MG trolling with JJs and LPL to open them up is almost totally worth the MC.

Hellslinger would be a runner up as an assault that was mobile, but I haven't tested it since the patch. It's was both a capable mech, and also capable of loading a stupid high alpha shot setup for its tonnage. Something like 91.8, touch more if you were willing to go a little slower with smaller XL and swap a couple srm6s in.

Last place would be the YenLoWang. It "kind of sucks" but at the same time its also pretty fun to run ac20 only and the biggest xl engine you can fit with like 7 tons of ammo and just go bannanas until you die. I don't think any other mech in the game intentionally offers bad enough hardpoints that running 1 single weapon can be as much fun as this mech seems to be.

Didn't try any of the clan heroes, and don't care for most of the rest of the IS ones.

Edited by sycocys, 26 May 2017 - 06:09 PM.

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:14 PM

Top Dog is literally top dog right now. Unless PGI nerfs its quirks.

Edited by El Bandito, 26 May 2017 - 06:14 PM.

#8 mouser42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 382 posts
  • Locationb-more

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:23 PM

pirates bane is my favorite mech to play

#9 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 26 May 2017 - 06:50 PM

I would tell you not to buy any of them. Save your mc and wait for them to go on sale.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 26 May 2017 - 06:50 PM.

#10 LordLeto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:03 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 26 May 2017 - 06:50 PM, said:

I would tell you not to buy any of them. Save your mc and wait for them to go on sale.

I second this. By all means pick up the extra MC, but be patient and wait for a hero sale to get the most for your MC.

#11 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:08 PM

The Death's Knell (Commando): it's a tiny bundle of joy with an XL235 and 4x Medium Pulse lasers and it handles so well. Fast, agile, bitey. <3

Jester (Catapult): Underrated as hell. It spreads damage exceedingly well. You put duration quirks on this one and it becomes one hell of a laser scalpel.

Top Dog (Tunderbolt): I would say this is the bludgeon to the scalpel of the Jester. Load it up with a STD 280, 18x DHS, 3xLL, and 5x ML, get those range and duration nodes, and enjoy the easy mode.

#12 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 26 May 2017 - 11:19 PM

Commandos are really strong right now. TDK would be a really cost effective purchase if you don't want to wait for a sale. Pirates Bane is also a good, cost-effective Hero although it doesn't gain quite as much from the new skill tree.

Top Dog (Thunderbolt)
Black Widow (Warhammer)
Sleipnir (Cyclops)
Scorch (MAD-IIC)
Boiler (Supernova)

Those are the sure bets. Some honorable mentions are the High Roller, Legend Killer, Bounty Hunter. You can also pick up any of the Omnimech ones and build it however you'd build a non-hero, obviously.

Also consider that just buying an (S) pack might give you more value than an Assault mech hero- especially more than some of the more lackluster ones like the La Malinche or Boars Head if those are piquing your interest.

Edited by Aggravated Assault Mech, 26 May 2017 - 11:19 PM.

#13 BurningDesire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:42 AM

your all wrong and damn fools for recommending anything other than another Medusa

#14 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 12:55 AM

View PostTomo Sukesada, on 26 May 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

Looking to pickup a hero mech with the 20% mc sale. Can anyone recommend an agile (speed, accel, decel) in the heavy or medium or light class? Jump jets optional. Clan or IS. The more durable, the better. To be used to skirmish and brawl. Already own an oxide and medusa. Thanks!

Huntsman "Pakhet" - Even with base OmniPods this can wreck face with 4x ASRM6 and 3x SPL. Add in another 1-2 SPL and it gets downright disgusting. Medium. Comes with JJs.

Linebacker "Redline" - 97.2kph Heavy with Clan tech. SRMs or ALL THE LASERS! are my choices. No JJs. BONUS! The Prime variant is free with the latest event.

Edited by Jay Leon Hart, 27 May 2017 - 01:00 AM.

#15 Isolani

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:09 AM

Agree with others, Top Dog is good right now. A dev just rolled their face across the numeral keypad to enter it's accel/decel and twist speed values, for whatever reason they are way better than other Thunderbolts, and as good as some medium mechs. It still has better structure quirks than other TDR also. I expect the agility might get nerfed at some point, but even if it does, it would still be a solid mech. Top Dog isn't a brawler though, it's laser vomit alphas + hiding to cool off. Double coolshot recommended if you don't care about saving c-bills.

I still like my Warhammer Black Widow a lot also, but it isn't very agile and not really a brawler if you run it with a bunch of AC5 like most people seem to do. I guess you could go with 2 X AC20, a STD 270, and 7 tons of AC20 ammo for something brawlier, but I like the 4 X AC5 build a lot already personally.

Blackjack Arrow actually is kind of a brawler if you use 6 X MG and some LL or LPL on it. But you pretty much have to use an XL engine on a brawler with no shield arms, so you can die quickly against people that can aim. I do derive some sick pleasure out of killing people with machine guns though. Fun to play, but dubious effectiveness unless you have some teamwork going on so you can get close enough to brawl with MG without getting your side torso blown off. It's hit or miss with this mech in quick play.

Hunchback IIC(O) is still a solid c-bill mech if you like clan autocannons.

Wolverine Quarantine...either 3 X LPL for laser action and just pray your right arm with all your lasers doesn't get shot off, or something like AC10 with 2 X ASRM6 and the biggest XL you can fit. WVR-Q still kept some decent offensive and armor quirks. I like this mech just because I never see anybody playing it. The fluorescent green paint job seems to draw fire though.

Orion IIC (O) LB20X + 3 X ASRM6 + 3 X ERML or SPL...and you can still fit a fairly big engine in it too. Orion IIC-A is better for brawling, but the IIC (O) still works ok. Bad hitboxes, but it has some armor quirks.

I would like to say Dragon Flame because it still has good armor quirks and has good accel/decel and twist speed as well. With full survival tree it has 84 side torso armor and 114 center torso armor on an agile 60 ton mech. It has all the makings of a good brawler, but its hard points just plain suck. AC20 with 4 X ML and the biggest STD engine you can fit is probably about as good as this thing can get unfortunately. AC10 + ASRM4 + 4 X ML with a bigger XL is also an option with better speed. This mech makes me the saddest out of all the heroes I have purchased.

That's all I can think of right now. I've been considering getting the Bushwhacker hero personally just because I have been having some decent matches with the X2 variant with full survival tree and 2 X AC10 + 2 X ML. Don't know if the hero is any good though.

#16 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,061 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:16 AM

my favorite (hero) mech is still the ilya. it kind of got nerfed bad with the skill tree, at least my 3x ac10 build. but its still fun.

Edited by LordNothing, 27 May 2017 - 02:16 AM.

#17 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 02:21 AM

Buy MC 20% off
Wait for Christmas or other guaranteed 50% off hero sale and get a huge discount.

Scorch is great for brawling

#18 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 27 May 2017 - 04:44 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 May 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

Top Dog is literally top dog right now. Unless PGI nerfs its quirks.

He's right.

I don't like Tbolts in general but I own a TDR-5-S-T and I actually put it back to its 8 ML/1LL configuration last night. Another good one was three LL/three ML. It's like a freakin' disco show. With very manageable heat if you top out the heat tree.

#19 mouser42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 382 posts
  • Locationb-more

Posted 27 May 2017 - 05:08 AM

Scorch (MAD-IIC) is my 2nd favorite mech to play

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users