• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:12 PM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 27 May 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

its always GoodGame for me,

i have said GG on a 1-12 before, both on me winning and losing,
i was in a brawl with another player it was a hard brawl and lasted 3minutes,
i lost the battle, but his team also lost the match, 2-12 it was a good fight so i posted GG,
its kinda up to the situation, you can have a close 1-12, where the enemy is very banged up,

I think part of the issue is that when someone GGs on a game that clearly wasn't, it just makes you angry. The problem is in the interpretation. For example, if someone is on the winning team and are walking away with 3 kills and some other big scores, then in their eyes it absolutely was a Good Game. I mean they had fun that game and they are walking away feeling good about the game so to them it was a Good Game and there could very well be zero malice in saying it was a Good Game. Still if your on the receiving end of that and some says GG your likely going to resent it even if GG was ment as GG.

So in my eyes, GG or more importantly Good Game should be reserved for those super intense games where it comes down the the wire an could go either way right up to the end. Those are GGs everyone can agree on.

#42 vandalhooch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 891 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:16 AM

When someone says "good morning" to you, do you take that as a sign of just polite behavior or as a nefarious attempt to convince you that despite the economy, weather, and it being a Monday it really is a "good" morning? Do you just assume that stranger is just being a troll?

#43 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

View PostVxheous Kerensky, on 27 May 2017 - 01:18 AM, said:

Back in the days of Starcraft (not Starcraft II), you would still say GG, even if you crushed your opponent in like 5 mins, (or 2). It is a generational thing. Just like GL HF at the beginning of a match, now that just triggers the "DID YOU JUST ASSUME I CAN'T HAVE FUN!?!?!?" crowd

Nope. It's not a "generational thing" in that "kids these day's can't handle GG and get all angry about it," but rather that somewhere along the line GG became frequently used as a sarcastic way to spit in the face of an easily and thoroughly beaten foe. THAT is the problem, not "kids these days getting worked up about nothing."

It's calmed down somewhat in MWO in the past year or two, but for a long while there, you were MORE likely to get a "GG" from an opponent if they rolled you than if it was actually a close fight and a "good game." There is no way that is anything but trolling and spitting in the face of the loser. Considering also how badly the try-hards were running the game into the ground at the same time, that type of behavior isn't surprising, and the real meaning of GG from the winners after a 12-0 stomp is obvious... and it's not "really, I hope you also had a good time, honest."

Edited by oldradagast, 28 May 2017 - 09:03 AM.

#44 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:09 AM

I've always wondered about the people who get so salty when someone says "gg".

Did they not play team sports growing up? Is there some sort of cultural difference where they come from so they automatically interpret it as a backhanded insult? Or are they just the same salty kids who used to spit on their hands at the end of a match, but they now have the megaphone that is all-chat.

Edited by Jman5, 28 May 2017 - 09:10 AM.

#45 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:24 AM

View PostJman5, on 28 May 2017 - 09:09 AM, said:

I've always wondered about the people who get so salty when someone says "gg".

Did they not play team sports growing up? Is there some sort of cultural difference where they come from so they automatically interpret it as a backhanded insult? Or are they just the same salty kids who used to spit on their hands at the end of a match, but they now have the megaphone that is all-chat.

It's just the internet, man. Scarred by trolls or are trolls themselves. Anonymity and all that jazz.

#46 Malcolm Vordermark

• 2,520 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:30 AM

It means "good game" its a sign of good sportsmanship. If you take it any other way you're thinking too hard about it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users