Night Gyr Builds

25 replies to this topic

#1 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:11 AM

Greetings MechWarriors. Today I have a simple question. What are a few good builds for the Night Gyr? Does it matter much which one I buy, since it's an omnimech and the quirks seem to be mediocre™?

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:18 AM

2xGauss+CERPPC is top build ATM. 6xCUAC2 or 4xCAC2+2xCUAC2 is a popular shake and bake build. CUAC10+3xCUAC5 is a good dueling build. Not built for it, but you can still brawl with NGyr with 2xCLB10X+3xASRM6.

Must buy variants are the D- for CT energy slot, and Hero for 2x ballistic LT.

Edited by El Bandito, 28 May 2017 - 06:23 AM.

#3 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:29 AM

D is the best chassis because of the energy hardpoint in the chest.

Night Gyr is for big guns. It's optimized for tonnage but doesn't have much heat sink capacity or non-ballistic hardpoints.

Edited by SmokedJag, 28 May 2017 - 06:31 AM.

#4 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:36 AM

I'm using:

1) 1x Gauss, 2x ER-PPC on the Prime
2) 2x Gauss, 1x ER-PPC, 2x ERML on the B
3) 2x Gauss, 1x CLPL, 3x ERML on the D

It can also run all sorts of Dakka well (6x2, 4x4, combination of 10s and 5s), but honestly speaking, the Dakka builds are inferior for QP.

#5 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:22 AM

Gauss and PPCs are fun, but I want DAKKA. GIVE ME DAKKA!

HOW IS TRI-UAC/10 DAKKA! OR QUAD-UAC/5?

*Read this with enthusiasm, not anger.

Also. Should I really invest in heat gen nodes? Tri-UAC 10s are hot, but I'm not sure I need the extra cooling on the Night Gyr and Operations would be a waste of points.

Edited by cazidin, 28 May 2017 - 07:27 AM.

#6 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:29 AM

View Postcazidin, on 28 May 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

HOW IS TRI-UAC DAKKA! OR QUAD-UAC/5?

It's good at dakka, you won't find a clan heavy that is better at boating UACs. It's just that gauss+ x is better than uacs. But if you want to go full dakka, the gyr wont dissapoint you. Just be aware that it is less mobile than other clan heavies.

Edit: not sure about heatgen because i don't use dakka builds anymore, but they all ran pretty hot (especially 6x uac 2)

Edited by meteorol, 28 May 2017 - 07:31 AM.

#7 SmokedJag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:41 AM

Also. Should I really invest in heat gen nodes? Tri-UAC 10s are hot, but I'm not sure I need the extra cooling on the Night Gyr and Operations would be a waste of points.

While Night Gyr doesn't overheat from the environment it doesn't cool from it either. And it has locked equipment everywhere with a low locked engine. It will have trouble with heat just from lack of heat sinks. If you're running something hot, get every heat reduction node you can.

#8 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

Due to the set of 8 rules now imposed on omni to enable them to have stock quirks, on some builds it can be beneficial.
So ya can, although true you can effectively kit other builds on a chassis, you'll lose the inherent benefits, which on some gyrs there are some decent quirks to utilize.

2Gauss, ppc works well is just meh.

Night Gyr C - (20% ballistic velocity, 10% energy range. Laser heatsinks)
LA- 2 UAC10s, LT -LPL Head- small laser RA - small laser X2 - load the rest up with ammo, dhs and maybe a tc. Fun times.

Night gyr Jade Kite -(20% erppc velocity) 4 UAC2 (2in LT, 2 in LA), 1ERPPC in the right arm. Obviously have to have the hero for this one.

Or you could go crazy and jump on the lrmaggedeon bandwagon that's currently going on and grab the D - 4lrm15+Artemis, LPL in the ct and tag in the head.

#9 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:08 AM

Tri UAC10s is fun but , you will need the B and C pods to bring those hardpoints close, which makes a big difference. You would think that 3UAC10s would outright murder, but it doesn't oddly enough. Great for lane holding.

As smoked Jag pointed out, the heatsinks are just heat neutral, so in reality the gyr Achilles is it's heat management (300xl with only 2 dhs and limited space) and mobility - that can be mitigated some with jjs.

Edited by JackalBeast, 28 May 2017 - 08:09 AM.

#10 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:31 AM

I run a couple build though they aren't meta.

2 x Gauss, 3 ER MLs

1 x UAC/10, 2 UAC/5 and 3 ER ML.

I find this to be an optimal configuration between heat management and power.

As far as which one to Purchase, just get the D because of the CT mounted Energy Harpoint. I ended up buying the Prime because my original idea was to just switch up a few minor things and take advantage of the Set of 8 bonuses. It didn't take long to realize that there were better builds to be had if I ditched set of 8 and now I regret not having the CT Hardpoint.

#11 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:39 AM

As everyone else has said the NTG-D is the way to go due to it's CT locked energy hardpoint.

My favorite or really the only build I like for my NTG is 2xUAC10, ERPPC, 4xSL.

I also like the sandblaster builds, anything with LBX's, lot's of them.

#12 utternoobism

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

My favorite build so far is the NTG-C with 2 UAC10s in the left arm, 2 mpls in the right and one in the head, TCII, 5 1/2 tons ammo for the '10s and the rest is heat sinks. I've had really good games with this mech, generally 400-600 damage with one >1000. It's not to hot (took almost all the heat related skills) and has great burst. The trip mpls really help finish off an open component, and the dual uac10s make people panic.

#13 utternoobism

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

Forgot to add, the other build I've had really good luck with that is not meta is 3xerppc and 1 gauss rifle with 2 1/2 tons ammo. You can chain fire the erppc's five times (need to give the mech 1 or 2 seconds to cool before firing the last or second to last ppc) and let the gauss fly without overheating. It's a great burst fire sniper, works great on open maps like polar highlands. You do have to cool off from a near shutdown after every burst.

#14 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:13 PM

Triple UAC10s used to work great until PGI nerfed the UAC jam time. Now running a pure UAC boat is a liability. Even quad UAC5s don't provide enough redundancy, I have a NTG-B running 4xUAC5, and I had all four guns jam on me on more than one occasion. Try 2xUAC10 + 3xMPL + TC1 + 6 tons of ammo, this will give you the best of both worlds. It's currently the top performer among all my Night Gyr builds.

#15 CanadianCyrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 275 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

I run my NTG-C as an offshoot of the stock C variant. 3 UAC2s (5 T Ammo), 2 ER Large, TC4, Rest is Heatsinks. Fun build if you're looking for something long range outside of Dual Gauss + PPC meta.

#16 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,082 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 28 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

NTG-D Dakka Vomit - 2x UAC10 [240] + 4x MPL, 18 DHS

#17 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 28 May 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

Triple UAC10s used to work great until PGI nerfed the UAC jam time. Now running a pure UAC boat is a liability. Even quad UAC5s don't provide enough redundancy, I have a NTG-B running 4xUAC5, and I had all four guns jam on me on more than one occasion. Try 2xUAC10 + 3xMPL + TC1 + 6 tons of ammo, this will give you the best of both worlds. It's currently the top performer among all my Night Gyr builds.

Yeah you right on point here. No way in hell would I rely on UAC's along currently. You have to have some back up weapons for when all your UAC's miraculously jam at the same time. The UAC changes rank right up there with the JJ nerf in my all time biggest BS changes made to the game.

#18 SmokeGuar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 450 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:49 PM

If all dakka is what you want, LBX 10 to arm, 2 * UAC10 in torsos + plenty of ammo.
Pulling alpha on full UAC build causes total jam. PGI went overboard with jam coding, some changes are needed.

#19 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:54 PM

C variant, 2 uac 10s on the arm, they both fit in so no convergence issues and 4 med lazors, may need to swap the non-ballistic arm to be able to do it. Stuff lots of ammo in and you have a monster.

Edited by Carl Vickers, 28 May 2017 - 03:54 PM.

#20 GrimRiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationIf not here and not there, then where?

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:57 PM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 28 May 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

Pretty much the very reason why I never go full UAC.

I find that my 2xC-UAC10 in ST's always jam together at the same time every time, which should not happen because UAC jam rates are supposed to be random and yet both jam at the same time whenever I jam.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users