54 replies to this topic

#1 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,934 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

I am up now to 7 clan mechs and hope to have 8 when I finish the event. But I think I need two more, just to get the whole clan experience:

I need me some missiles. Both LRMS and SRMS.

While I generally hate LRMS, I do want to get a flavor for all things Clan. So I think I need at least one mech to run some LRMS on. Was thinking a 6ERML plus LRMs on a Timber but I have heard many say that the Timber has now been hit too hard with the engine decouple nerf bat. So what else? Maddog?

Same question for SRMs. I would like something that can still have a little reach in addition to the SRMs so not so keen on the idea of the straight up Maddog SRM spamer, but that's just it I don;t know what is good. Maybe that is the best SRM build.

This is not about a meta build btw. Rather this is about flavor. I have never played clan mechs and am learning. I am looking to get a couple more mechs that are in these two veins (LRM and SRM users) but not necessarily boats.

Your comments and suggestions would be welcome.

#2 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:24 PM

MDD, high Cockpit and can Run 2LRM20 + 5ERML, or 6SRM+A + 5ERSLs,

#3 Kalleballe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:33 PM

Cannot go wrong with a Night gyr for jump Lurming Clan style.

The Orion is a seriously good brawler, but might not do enough lasers for you.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...396723de0c38579

Edited by Kalleballe, 28 May 2017 - 03:39 PM.

#4 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:34 PM

Both Crows and Dogs have some decent splat options, and I would have thought MadDog would be a good option for LRM as well.

(And if decide later the RM's aren't so hot, they can be reconfigured)

Edited by MadBadger, 28 May 2017 - 03:38 PM.

#5 Snazzy Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 28 May 2017 - 03:43 PM

Night Gyr D has good lurm potential if you're wanting to take actual launchers rather than the memey spam lrm 5 launchers. Supernova was mentioned as well.

#6 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:02 PM

My picks for missile heavy Clan 'mechs;

Jenner IIC - 6M - A nasty 6x SRM6 72 damage Alpha if you're feeling bold. I tend to stick to 5x SRM4 or 4x SRM4, 2x SRM2.
Hunchback IIC-B - 4M - 4x ASRM6 then 2x SPL/ERML/MPL to taste.
Huntsman - Up to 8M - A crippling 8x SRM6 96 damage Alpha if you're feeling insane and like to cook yourself. The Hero really helps this chassis shine and 4x ASRM6 with 3-5 SPL/ERML/MPL is rather glorious.
Stormcrow - Up to 5M - Just grab the D variant, maybe play around with a Streakcrow.
Mad Dog - Up to 6M - 6x LRM5 was fun, before multiple nerfs. Never tried 6x ASRM6, but have been wrecked by it enough times to know it's deadly effective.
Linebacker - Up to 6M - A little light on the tonnage, however it cam mix SRMs and Small/Medium class lasers very well with it's speed.
Summoner - Up to 5M - 5x ASRM6 is probably my most effective build on the Summoner. Fast and mobile enough to put them where it counts.
Timber Wolf - Up to 4M - I'm a heathen, I run a Timber Wolf with 2x LRM racks, 4x ERMLs and a TAG to... passable, effect. Or, you can run 4x ASRM6 with 4-7 SPL/ERML/MPL and 0-3 MGs.

Edited by Jay Leon Hart, 28 May 2017 - 04:05 PM.

#7 mouser42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 382 posts
  • Locationb-more

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:03 PM

mad dog, huntsman or linebacker for SRMs for LRMs hunchback iic or mad dog should make most people happy

#8 BlueFlames

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • 327 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 04:12 PM

I love the Linebacker for SRMs. 3ASRM6 stacked on the right side, and whatever combination of lightweight lasers (ERSL, SPL, or ERML) with which you're comfortable makes for a nasty flanker.

Really, though, the Vulture is still the reigning king of missiles on the Clan side. It's a little squishy for extended brawling, but with 6ASRM6, you should be killing isolated targets before any engagement can be described as "extended." It used to do 6(A)LRM5 pretty well too, but the spread on those launchers got nerfed, because apparently it's better that all LRMs be useless than having any of them be worthwhile. Balance!

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:02 PM

These guys had forgot to mention the little Clan lurming champ--the Adder. You can get up to 13% LRM spread reduction with the D torsi and A arms quirks + skill tree. Just take 3xCLRM10s (or 4xCLRM5s), and TAG, and you can rack damage numbers well above average 35 tonners--and those damage tend to focus on the enemy's CT. Especially useful in GQ where tonnage is restricted, but can contribute in SQ as well.

Edited by El Bandito, 28 May 2017 - 05:03 PM.

#10 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:15 PM

Warhawk alt-B is another good one

#11 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,934 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:24 PM

No Timber then?

Absent that, sounds like Maddog is the LRMer I am looking for and I can turn my event Linebacker into a SRM brawler. Though I must admit I REALLY like the aesthetics of the Huntsman, so may have to go that route too.

Thanks for the advice.

Decisions, decisions...

#12 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 28 May 2017 - 06:22 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 28 May 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

No Timber then?

Those missile ears are a death sentence. That's why it's not.

The Summoner is a decent choice btw.

#13 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 28 May 2017 - 07:33 PM

I actually enjoy my Madcat missile mech. TBR-D

Which, with a quick load out change can become a brawly beast... TBR-D

I actually have a friend who'll use a streak version to go light hunting when the light queue gets too full in QP.

The Vulture an Ryoken are also fair choices.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 28 May 2017 - 07:33 PM.

#14 Ced Riggs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 825 posts
  • Locationunclear, mech stuck in bay.

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:45 PM

All these great mech misused to carry lens LRMs disgust me. Especially the Warhawk and the Supernova. I mean, fine, if you're keen on getting pushed and killed by anything that can walk forward, go ahead.

I accept LRM Maddogs, even if Splatdogs are superior in field presence and damage potential. But those other suggestions make my skin crawl. LRMs are the path to badness.

#15 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 28 May 2017 - 08:59 PM

Try these

Summoner, 4XASRM6+ ALRM15+tag (need one of the loyalty torso's to do it. grab the missile skills, JJ skills, all the target decay, and a bit of structure boosts and 5 kinetic bursts.

Hellbringer, 2xASRM6, 4 MPL's, 2 Machine guns. (takes loyalty arms) It kinda plays like a HBK-4SP with ECM and the machine guns are for late match when everything starts opening up. I know people like to run hellbringers as laser mechs, but this one is pretty solid.

I'm also liking my Warkhawk, (get the one with the energy CT hardpoint), with a pair of LArge pulse, 3 MPL's, and 2xASRM6 for close up blasting. It runs a bit hot like all clanners so pack in as many heat sinks as you can fit. in the end you will be 2 tons shy, with one slot in each arm, Add a CAP and level 1 targeting computer. War hawk moves well, so i just took the kinetic bursts and a little twisting. Max out your armor/structure buffs as it has some nice buffs already and finish it off with some weapons and light sensors.

Now, if i only can "git gud" with my SRM's as i am completely out of practice after such a long run using ballistics and lasers.. But all are solid IMO.

Good luck!

View PostBud Crue, on 28 May 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

Was thinking a 6ERML plus LRMs on a Timber but I have heard many say that the Timber has now been hit too hard with the engine decouple nerf bat. So what else? Maddog?

ERML's are too hot, 4 at most IMO, (use a tag for the 5th hard point, but put it in an arm, atleast you can zombie if you use the timber C)

But come on, no self respecting clan account can NOT have a timber. Don't listen to all those that cry nerf into the ground. The Timber is STILL a good mech. It's just not super OP anymore.

So many new mechs i bought one of, and so many old favs to try, who has time for all this!

Edited by JC Daxion, 28 May 2017 - 09:30 PM.

#16 Ced Riggs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 825 posts
  • Locationunclear, mech stuck in bay.

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:09 PM

My name is commander Riggs and that is my favourite post on the thread.

#17 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:14 AM

My vote also go to the Mad Dog. Just 2xLRM20A and 4xMPL and you got a fine LRM carrier who's not afraid to help from 2nd line and push when necesary, like a good LRM carrier should.

TBRs and EBJs are wasted as LRM carriers, their ears make them fragile. Night Gyrs are too slow to position correctly.

Huntsman could probably also do a fine job.

Many mechs look like they could be fine LRM carriers but end up falling flat. Most disappointing is the Archer. If going IS I would suggest the Catapult instead.

#18 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 29 May 2017 - 01:15 AM

All of them are disgusting.

Get a Trebuchet instead.

#19 SteelMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 179 posts
  • Locationon the shifting sands of the meta

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:24 AM

For a long time my favorite Clan SRM boat was the Maddog with 6x6Asrm although recently I have been using the Huntsman also with 6x6 Asrm. I haven't really decided which I like better yet, they both run at the same speed and while the Maddog has a bit more armor and runs a bit cooler the Huntsman has jump jets which are great for spreading damage. It also has lower tonnage and seems to be a lower priority target for a lot of players.

I was using a Stormcrow with 5xlrm5 and cspl but it was before the lrm5 was nerfed. The higher speed on Stormcrow helped to get to good positions and having a decent amount of cspls was good to chase off lights but if I was to run lrms in today's AMS heavy pug queue I think I would go with 20s instead of 5s.

#20 Roadbuster

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:29 AM

I'm using a Warhawk, a Timber and a Mad Dog with LRMs in mixed loadouts, never go pure LRM/SRM.

But these days you either need big launchers or alot of ammo.
Tried running a LRM50 Battlemaster this weekend. In some matches I had to fire all launchers at once to break through AMS and deal at least a little bit of damage.

People underestimate AMS big time. It's funny to see people cry about LRM boats, but same people refuse to equip AMS.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users