Operations Skill Tree, (Hill Climb, Gryo, Retention Tweak)

4 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

Ok, so after playing around with lots of builds, and using it on a number of faster mechs it got me thinking about a slight change. I know one issue is the whole hill climb thing and JJ mechs. Or some don't feel hillclimb adds enough for many mechs. So it got me thinking about a small buff/change. So i played around in paint and made this.

I felt upping hillclimbs % was one way to go, but it got me thinking about a slightly deeper point investment with larger gains.

The max cool run node SP are the same but you now have a couple of options that are move related. Just getting 3 has been pushed up one node point, (i know the horror!) The trade off is you can choose a side. for more focus, (it didn't make since to me that both retention and gryos are mixed because they really are focus's on different mechs. (isn't that why you are just taking one side, to focus more?

Are you bee lining down with the increased leg speed.. (presumably a faster mech with less armor to maybe be a little more effective once legged) OR are you taking full gryos. which should help mechs with beefier armor more. Before it was a split and it really didn't help much with a split going just one side. the gryos were weak, and the retention was weak, it just felt like a non-effect if you don't take all.

There is now an easy path for hillclimb to get to the cooling nodes and it costs the same as the other guys going middle. Or sink once point more for an extra coolrun, (but anyone going middle could do that too.) ANother option would be for max hillclimb with 2 cool runs and 2 heat contains for just 2 more points than going middle, BUT you are getting max hillclimb as well. (so 11 point investment.. Or just take the top 2 cool runs, and your hill climb, (a 9 point investment), Though sinking deeper into hill climb will cost you 2 extra points, (BUT you are going from 15% to 20% so a 1/4 more)

Anyway, thoughts on this?

Posted Image

Edited by JC Daxion, 30 May 2017 - 01:45 PM.

#2 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 01:44 PM

This doesn't look like much of an improvement, you're just shifting the junk nodes up further.

#3 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:17 PM

View Postcazidin, on 30 May 2017 - 01:44 PM, said:

This doesn't look like much of an improvement, you're just shifting the junk nodes up further.

actually it lets you add heat contain for one less Node point, and you can get to adding 2 down low for the same amount of points it takes to take Cool run, so now the deep end becomes the Point sink for the cooling cluster. But its one point cheeper

Then you have 3 choices to get to that, Hillclimb, Retention, or Gryos.. Which while not the best Nodes in some peoples minds, they actually do something. Is it enough for some people, No, but they do something, and hill climb being the best of the 3 for some mechs, that is why it is the extra point spent.

Gryos, Especially if they tweak impacts a bit this could really mean something too.) Make those AC20 slugs hit hard, Make a cluster of missiles knock you off balance. Make heavy weapons fire doe something like shake your,. We might not have KNOCKDOWN.. But we certainly can add more KNOCKAROUND. :)

Rention, This does work when stacked, and again not well enough for some, but it is operations.

Hillclimb, This works on a bunch of faster Non JJ mechs. (put it on a commando, or cicada, raven ect), this part of the tree is tweeked by making hill climb a bit stronger with the extra buff.

Again this isn't a total revamp of the operations tree, It is about giving a slight tweak, to make 3 paths, and have those three actually effect your mech for the same points you are spending now, but making those 3 skills just a bit stronger.

Edited by JC Daxion, 30 May 2017 - 02:24 PM.

#4 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:28 PM

JC. I'm going to be upfront with you on this one.

The only thing I want to see is the TOTAL REMOVAL of Hill Climb, Improved Gyros and whatever else PGI wants to throw into Operations to halt me from getting heat containment and cool run.

#5 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:45 PM

View Postcazidin, on 30 May 2017 - 02:28 PM, said:

JC. I'm going to be upfront with you on this one.

The only thing I want to see is the TOTAL REMOVAL of Hill Climb, Improved Gyros and whatever else PGI wants to throw into Operations to halt me from getting heat containment and cool run.

Yes, and so are others going to say the exact same thing.. But I'd be will to bet, there is no way in hell PGI is going to do that.

So with that in mind, i proposed a small change to help those that are dipping into the operations tree get a little more out of said tree.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users