Ostsol?

37 replies to this topic

#1 Burning Chrome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 248 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:41 AM

Anyone else interested in the OTL series mechs? Now that we're in the 3060s with the new tech coming soon, there are multiple potential variants that would work well in MWO.

IMHO, of course.

OTL-4D

The Ostsol's primary weapons are two Tronel III Heavy Large Lasers in the right and left torsos, providing powerful medium to long-range firepower. As ranges close, the Ostsol is able to bring its four Tronel II Medium Lasers, two in either side torso and two more rear mounted, into play.
Nine tons of armoring is considered decent for a heavy 'Mech, while its fast cruising speed of 54 km/h is thanks to a nineteen-ton Vlar 300 fusion engine. Besides speed though it's the 'Mech's highly-sensitive TRSS.2L3 targeting-tracking system, able to detect enemies over several kilometers in even the most difficult terrain, which makes it a good command platform for scouting missions. Sixteen heat sinks also help manage the heat output of its all-energy weapons payload.

OTL-4F

The 4F Ostsol introduced in 2871 was the only common variant of the 'Mech pre-Clan Invasion, completely removing the laser weapons and replacing them with two Dominion-V PPCs in the side torsos. The 'Mech is seen as, in some ways at least, a poor man's Marauder or Warhammer, and the PPC array can quickly overload the sixteen heat sinks. Though, on its own merits, the variant is a good long-range direct fire support 'Mech which uses its top speed of 86.4 kph to dictate combat ranges against most heavier 'Mechs.

OTL-5D

A House Davion upgrade of the 4D model first fielded in 3065, the 5D upgrades its armor to eight and a half tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor and mounts five additional Rocket Launcher 10s, giving the Ostsol incredible one-shot firepower in a pinch and added shock value when facing an enemy. The fact it is very similar to the Taurian Concordat's OSR-3C Ostroc has raised questions as to the variant's origins.

OTL-5M

The 5M variant of the Ostsol is an upgrade of the design using Star League technology and is built for close-range combat starting in 3050. The original engine, heat sinks, and weapons have been stripped from the chassis and replaced with a Hermes 300 XL engine and sixteen double heat sinks. Taking the place of its standard weapons, the 5M Ostsol carries two Tronel XIII Large Pulse Lasers and four Tronel XII Medium Pulse Lasers, two of which remain rear-mounted to discourage attacks against the 'Mech's weak rear armor. Finally, for added protection against missile attacks, the 5M carries a Lindblad Shotgun Anti-Missile System in its right torso with one ton of ammo in the left.

OTL-6D

A complete redesign of the Ostsol unveiled in 3064, the 6D is powered by a GM 300 XL engine and is built using triple strength myomer, which push the 'Mech's top speed to 97.2 kph when operating in its optimum heat range. Carrying fourteen double heat sinks, the 'Mech is protected with eleven and a half tons of StarGuard Ferro-Fibrous armor. The weapons payload of the 6D consists of two Diverse Optics ER Large Lasers, two Diverse Optics ER Medium Lasers, two Magna 600P Medium Pulse Lasers, and two Magna 200P Small Pulse Lasers. The extended-range lasers are split between the side torsos, the medium pulses split between right torso and head, and both small pulse systems are in the center torso. All of these weapons are linked to an advanced Targeting Computer, making them more accurate at range.

OTL-7M

The 7M steps outside the Ostsols design philosophy of independent operations. Introduced in 3065 the 'Mech is built around an Endo Steel chassis, and uses an extralight engine for power, though it only carries ten double heat sinks. The primary weapons are two Light Gauss Rifles and four ER Medium Lasers. Finally, CASE has been added to protect against a catastrophic failure of either of the Light Gauss Rifles.

OTL-8D

This variant of the 6D, introduced in 3069, replaces that version's pulse lasers and large lasers with a Light PPC and a pair of Light Autocannon/5s. The weight savings allows the use of a Light Fusion Engine instead of the bulky extra-light version. The extra heat sinks of the 6D were no longer needed, so they were removed. In order to save even more weight, a new Heavy Ferro-Fibrous armor weave is used on this design, as is a small cockpit.
A sizable, CASE-protected ammunition bin in each side torso allows the use of different types of ammunition with the two light autocannons.

Small cockpit is an issue, but could be worked out as PGI has done in the past with other mechs and HFFA could be added to the game...or just use standard FFA.

OTL-8M

The 8M Ostsol was built by the Free Worlds League in 3066 using the same Endo Steel chassis as the 7M, adding a larger 360-rated extralight engine to boost the 'Mech's speed to 97.2 kph. The 'Mech is similar, though, to the intended design philosophy of the original 'Mech, using Triple Strength Myomer to boost its top speed to 118.8 kph, and carries a PPC as its primary weapon. This is supported by a large pulse laser, two medium pulse lasers, an ER Small Laser, and an ER medium laser.

No TSM in game so...but no physical attack either so it works out. Could be some interesting quirks regarding mobility, sensors/targeting and durability.

Nice mech to showcase most of the new tech.

#2 Ced Riggs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 825 posts
  • Locationunclear, mech stuck in bay.

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:48 AM

Rarely have I seen a mech so visually unappealing.

#3 dario03

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:51 AM

View PostCed Riggs, on 31 May 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

Yeah, I was wondering why a post with so many sarna links didn't have a link to the mech in question.

#4 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:19 AM

I know often times mechs in game can look much nicer than the Sarna sketches but this Ostsol looks to me a lot like a tall urbie?

#5 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:24 AM

I loved the jelly bean mechs.

#6 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:28 AM

I'd be ok with an Ostsol, but whatI really, really, really want is an Ostscout. But then I'd need to be able to kick, and for jump jets to provide a 4+ to hit. Tabletop wise, they're fantastic 3025 leg assassins and light hunters.

#7 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:29 AM

View Postdario03, on 31 May 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

Yeah, I was wondering why a post with so many sarna links didn't have a link to the mech in question.

The link probably removed itself out of shame. That's some baby-smothering level of ugly, right there.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:34 AM

Another one of mediocre capability nostalgia IS mechs?

#9 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:48 AM

Don't judge it on its 80ies art. Look what they did to the Ostscout recently:
Posted Image
And the original art was like that:
http://cfw.sarna.net...TT-Ostscout.png

I am pretty sure the whole Ost-Series will get a similar revision. And then there is Alex.

Here is another interpretation of the Ostsol and Ostroc:

Posted Image

Posted Image

View PostEl Bandito, on 31 May 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

I prefer the Ostroc myself. Neither Ostsol nor Ostroc are world beaters, for sure, mostly due to their uncomfortable weight.
I would not campaign for them, but they are solid choices nonetheless. It is just that the IS has so much better choices. "Solid" does not cut it anymore.

#10 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 31 May 2017 - 10:50 AM

I'd prefer the Scorpion, but Ost-mechs could be fun (though, i'm not convinced by their efficacy in MWO, especially the Ostscout).

#11 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:23 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 31 May 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

Maybe? The Ostsol and Ostroc are 60 ton mechs that come stock with 300 engines, they're reasonably swift for their size, equaling a Dragon or Quickdraw. No jets, sadly. The Ostsol is a pure laser boat, and would fit well enough in the current meta, would even have a small niche (fast, 60-ton energy boat). The Ostroc is similar, but packs a single missile launcher; might be useful for a token launcher to compliment the lasers, especially after time jump with some MRM action (might even make for a swift, low-end heavy NARC platform).

Honestly, I'd probably be happier with the Anvil, very similar in capabilities to the Ostsol, but with some high mounted energy points, jets, and ECM. (I'd also love to get the Bandersnatch... Ok, and the Axman, but that's about as likely as me suddenly starting to defecate out $100 bills.)

#12 Burning Chrome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 248 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:28 AM

I did not post pics cuz the current art wont matter as we'll get new art as part of the development from Alex anyways. That and I figured you'd find it on your own.

I was going to do a separate post for the Ostroc, but lunchtime ran out so it will have to wait till tonight.

Edited by Burning Chrome, 31 May 2017 - 12:34 PM.

#13 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:46 AM

While it's not a beautiful mech by a long shot, they look a good deal better than over half the mechs on the poll asking people which mech they hope P.G.I make next.

Also, as noted above, in the time Alex has made the art work for mech, made the mechs look, on the whole, the best designs the franchise has seen, with only a few of them complete howlers

Edited by Cathy, 31 May 2017 - 11:49 AM.

#14 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:51 AM

The new OTLs looking like a good interpretation.
As for the Anvil, when you introduce that also add the Hammer.

#15 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 31 May 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 31 May 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

Don't judge it on its 80ies art. Look what they did to the Ostscout recently:
Posted Image
And the original art was like that:
http://cfw.sarna.net...TT-Ostscout.png

Yes they made it look like a lame power suit, also the link isn't the original picture from the TRO, but a badly draw copy, from another prospective.

#16 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:04 PM

View PostCathy, on 31 May 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

Yes they made it look like a lame power suit, also the link isn't the original picture from the TRO, but a badly draw copy, from another prospective.

I personally like the ''lame power suit'' design.
Posted Image
Prefer it over the original, to be honest.

#17 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:26 PM

View PostCathy, on 31 May 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

also the link isn't the original picture from the TRO, but a badly draw copy, from another prospective.

The picture in question is straight from the original TRO:3050. And it is not like the 3025-art, which you may have in mind, was any more flattering anyway.

Edited by FLG 01, 31 May 2017 - 12:28 PM.

#18 Burning Chrome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 248 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 12:41 PM

Notable pilots for the Hero variant:
Lynn Woo from the 7th Sword of Light piloting a black OTL with "kill stripes"
Charles LaPierre, no affiliation but a known gambler...maybe a unique paint job/mech name based on that?
Ragnar Magnusson, OTL-5M 3rd Drakon Vargjagare (aka Wolf Hunter) Company, FRR.

Edited by Burning Chrome, 31 May 2017 - 12:43 PM.

#19 Scyther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 31 May 2017 - 01:16 PM

If you scroll to the bottom of the Ostsol page on Sarna you see better looking versions.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Ostsol

Posted Image

Edited by MadBadger, 31 May 2017 - 01:17 PM.

#20 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 31 May 2017 - 05:24 PM

View PostEscef, on 31 May 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

Maybe? The Ostsol and Ostroc are 60 ton mechs that come stock with 300 engines, they're reasonably swift for their size, equaling a Dragon or Quickdraw. No jets, sadly. The Ostsol is a pure laser boat, and would fit well enough in the current meta, would even have a small niche (fast, 60-ton energy boat). The Ostroc is similar, but packs a single missile launcher; might be useful for a token launcher to compliment the lasers, especially after time jump with some MRM action (might even make for a swift, low-end heavy NARC platform).

Honestly, I'd probably be happier with the Anvil, very similar in capabilities to the Ostsol, but with some high mounted energy points, jets, and ECM. (I'd also love to get the Bandersnatch... Ok, and the Axman, but that's about as likely as me suddenly starting to defecate out $100 bills.)

Alex may surprise us yet, but I was never impressed by Ost series, both in terms of looks, and in terms of function.

Edited by El Bandito, 31 May 2017 - 05:26 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users