116 replies to this topic

#41 Rufus Ingram

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 129 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre, Free Rasalhague Republic

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

This is great. I always liked their name, but didn't know anything about them. Have fun and see you at the border.

#42 Hayden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:07 PM

View PostRufus Ingram, on 16 June 2012 - 04:59 PM, said:

This is great. I always liked their name, but didn't know anything about them. Have fun and see you at the border.

Yeah, they've long been my personal favorite unit (in spite of my long-running love affair with St. Ives), and the revamp they got as a Kuritan house unit was just... meh. Suffice to say, in the beginning they were a Merc unit and then later they somehow became a DC house unit (I'm still sifting through things). Anyway, I'm shooting for a DC 'merc unit because A. there are so few organized DCMS units at this point and B. because there are so few (any???) Kuritan mercs.

But yes. We will see you at the border. Invite us over, punch will be served.

#43 Kybaliom

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:25 AM

Here is the insigna for the illuminati battalion a non existant battalion... just a quick brainstorm idea : (not official)

Posted Image

More to come

Edited by Kybaliom, 17 June 2012 - 12:02 PM.

#44 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostKybaliom, on 17 June 2012 - 10:25 AM, said:

Here is the insigna for the illuminati battalion :

Posted Image

More to come

I appreciate your enthusiasm but we're not even up to Companies yet. :D

#45 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts
  • LocationAlshain Military District

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

View PostHayden, on 16 June 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

Yeah, they've long been my personal favorite unit (in spite of my long-running love affair with St. Ives), and the revamp they got as a Kuritan house unit was just... meh. Suffice to say, in the beginning they were a Merc unit and then later they somehow became a DC house unit (I'm still sifting through things).
It appears that this unit suffered a retcon (retroactive continuity change); I have only been made aware of this recently myself.

The Draconis Combine Field Manual describes it as a pure DCMS regiment that does not include any samurai amidst its ranks but is formed from the example of the convict-staffed so-called Chain Gang Missions in an attempt by Jinjiro Kurita to create a permanent cadre of expendable light shock troops.

I realize that this change likely does not appeal to you as the old unit's description did, and I would agree that it was probably unnecessary, but that's the way the canon is now. I suppose that you now have to face the difficult decision of whether to stick to the canon (whether by changing your outfit's background, or even adopting a new name and livery to create an original unit that would be compatible with the current official DCMS) or if you wish to dismiss the canon description of these regiments.

#46 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:41 PM

View PostHayden, on 16 June 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

You'll figure it out quick :D

I think you give the Steiner too much credit. lol

View PostHayden, on 16 June 2012 - 05:07 PM, said:

But yes. We will see you at the border. Invite us over, punch will be served.

Dragon Punch?

View PostKyone Akashi, on 17 June 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

It appears that this unit suffered a retcon (retroactive continuity change); I have only been made aware of this recently myself.

The Draconis Combine Field Manual describes it as a pure DCMS regiment that does not include any samurai amidst its ranks but is formed from the example of the convict-staffed so-called Chain Gang Missions in an attempt by Jinjiro Kurita to create a permanent cadre of expendable light shock troops.

I realize that this change likely does not appeal to you as the old unit's description did, and I would agree that it was probably unnecessary, but that's the way the canon is now. I suppose that you now have to face the difficult decision of whether to stick to the canon (whether by changing your outfit's background, or even adopting a new name and livery to create an original unit that would be compatible with the current official DCMS) or if you wish to dismiss the canon description of these regiments.

He may also opt to adapt the current canon with the old, such as he's using a regiment number not normally associated with the Amphigean LAG. All he's gotta do is be a bit more creative and it fits just as well.

In any case, I'd say it's not hard to fit into canon where he'd already thought to, even if there'd need to be a few changes. Would be easy to say that their old origins still works for the 3rd LAG as it's not a canon unit, that it was an old merc unit but later rolled into the DCMS (or at least affiliated in this case,) and taking on the name of 3rd LAG.

That's the great part about making our own units (especially merc ones until they add the ability to make fan house units,) is that it's easy to snake (<.<) around existing lore and make our own mark in the universe as far as MW:O is concerned.

Edited by Jack Gallows, 17 June 2012 - 12:54 PM.

#47 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 17 June 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

It did suffer a retcon, most regrettably. It's not that difficult of a decision, though. The livery is already different from the DCMS Amphigean LAG, as are the insignia. The insignia is actually the same as the original 'merc unit. As is, I'm keeping things that way as a protest against the retcon, which to my understanding was largely incidental. That said, I have considered adopting the name "Amphigean Security Group", as a nod to it's early-canon precursor. This would allow me to keep a lot of the old flavor, too.

#48 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 17 June 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

He may also opt to adapt the current canon with the old, such as he's using a regiment number not normally associated with the Amphigean LAG. All he's gotta do is be a bit more creative and it fits just as well.
Well, it would still be the LAG, and as such I do not think this would suffice to avert the conflict.
That said, I have not seen any information about the 3rd LAG on any canon sources yet, so I suppose he already opted for this. Certainly this provides him with more freedom, though not enough to change the entire LAG's identity.

In any case, I'd say it's not hard to fit into canon where he'd already thought to, even if there'd need to be a few changes. Would be easy to say that their old origins still works for the 3rd LAG as it's not a canon unit, that it was an old merc unit but later rolled into the DCMS (or at least affiliated in this case,) and taking on the name of 3rd LAG.
Hai, there are certainly ways to avoid the issue! Now that you mention it ... The DCMS' Company Store scheme would be a good explanation, for example. In fact, given the LAG's reputation and "non-samurai" recruitment policy, wouldn't it be the perfect place to "dump" indebted mercenaries in? :D

That's the great part about making our own units (especially merc ones until they add the ability to make fan house units,) is that it's easy to snake (<.<) around existing lore and make our own mark in the universe as far as MW:O is concerned.
Normally I would agree there. The problem in this case, of course, being that the Amphigean Light Assault is not a fan unit. I am generally sceptical about "ursurping" canon formations (preferring that players would "share" regiments rather than laying sole claim to them), but when they (or in this case the "mother group") are then turned into something else it becomes even more of a problem to someone who would prefer things remaining close to the official material.

This is in no way intended as a criticism to Hayden's commendable enthusiasm and activity - but like you, I believe that it would be possible to balance original ideas with the official background in a way that no conflict exists.

View PostHayden, on 17 June 2012 - 01:05 PM, said:

It did suffer a retcon, most regrettably. It's not that difficult of a decision, though. The livery is already different from the DCMS Amphigean LAG, as are the insignia. The insignia is actually the same as the original 'merc unit. As is, I'm keeping things that way as a protest against the retcon, which to my understanding was largely incidental. That said, I have considered adopting the name "Amphigean Security Group", as a nod to it's early-canon precursor. This would allow me to keep a lot of the old flavor, too.
This would be a clever way to avoid the conflict as well. I do not really like "pushing" people to change their idea, especially given that you have already put so much work into this project, but just in case that you and your pilots value the concept of a canon setting as a "common ground" just as much as I do, I thought it best to point it out.

If it will help, there actually seem to have been some very few mercenary units in the DCMS' employ even after Takashi's (in)famous edict, so simply changing your regiment's name to the ASG and maintaining the original description would preserve the canon whilst at the same time protect the old background from fading into oblivion due to the retcon. Additionally, as both a "true" mercenary as well as an original unit, I suppose you'd have some more freedom in terms of organization/hierarchy as well as designs.

Alternatively, you could follow up on Jack Gallow's idea and clarify that the unit is now regular DCMS but recruited of former mercenaries, possibly even several different companies that fell victim to the Company Store and were now unified into a new regiment to reinforce the LAG. I think both ways would work, and you'd be able to maintain the majority of your current identity.

Either way, best of luck, both with tackling this issue as well as with the recruitment of new mechwarriors!

#49 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 17 June 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Well, it would still be the LAG, and as such I do not think this would suffice to avert the conflict.
That said, I have not seen any information about the 3rd LAG on any canon sources yet, so I suppose he already opted for this. Certainly this provides him with more freedom, though not enough to change the entire LAG's identity.

Ah, my meaning is that he is not the entire lag, but merely one section of it. My proposal is that he has control of that and not the entire LAG itself such that gives him freedom to make it mesh correctly.

Hai, there are certainly ways to avoid the issue! Now that you mention it ... The DCMS' Company Store scheme would be a good explanation, for example. In fact, given the LAG's reputation and "non-samurai" recruitment policy, wouldn't it be the perfect place to "dump" indebted mercenaries in? :)

Lots of bowing and rabble rousing! Just trying to give an example of how he could make it work as is without stepping on canon toes. And in the end, seeing as what we do in game isn't technically canon, I wonder how much it really matters in the end.

Normally I would agree there. The problem in this case, of course, being that the Amphigean Light Assault is not a fan unit. I am generally sceptical about "ursurping" canon formations (preferring that players would "share" regiments rather than laying sole claim to them), but when they (or in this case the "mother group") are then turned into something else it becomes even more of a problem to someone who would prefer things remaining close to the official material.

Believe I have described my reply to this above, that he's not really laying claim to the entire unit, just one part of it that is not a part of canon. Not to say what you have here is incorrect.

This is in no way intended as a criticism to Hayden's commendable enthusiasm and activity - but like you, I believe that it would be possible to balance original ideas with the official background in a way that no conflict exists.

I understand and agree, which is why my own created unit was made as it was. :P Within the lines without going over them.

Either way, best of luck, both with tackling this issue as well as with the recruitment of new mechwarriors!

Have to say, it's nice to see more level headed individuals willing to actually discuss things then come off as aggressive or offensive like I've seen building lately on the forums. Lots of nice people, and good to see the trend continues.

#50 Kyone Akashi

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

View PostJack Gallows, on 17 June 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

Ah, my meaning is that he is not the entire lag, but merely one section of it.
True, true. But when the LAG as a whole is described as a regular DCMS formation of expendable shock troops, it would seem contradictory if one were to add/invent a sub-group that radically goes against this.

In other cases there might be more leeway, but I think the difference between permanent line troops of the regular military, and a temporarily employed mercenary company with an identity of its own is too large. Questions like "what would happen if they go without contract for a few months, would they have to change their name when they no longer work for the same command" etc would arise.

Much of this might be personal interpretation, of course!

View PostJack Gallows, on 17 June 2012 - 03:50 PM, said:

Have to say, it's nice to see more level headed individuals willing to actually discuss things then come off as aggressive or offensive like I've seen building lately on the forums. Lots of nice people, and good to see the trend continues.
Surely this way it is more constructive, too - I do enjoy the atmosphere in this community, and Hayden seems like a friendly person with a good deal of enthusiasm to invest in our faction, which makes criticizing things as minor as these a bit awkward when he should deserve praise for his efforts. That being said, even for warriors there is no reason to not be diplomatic at times. Let us show the other Great Houses the meaning of Kuritan respect and honor. :)

#51 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:25 PM

View PostKyone Akashi, on 17 June 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

That being said, even for warriors there is no reason to not be diplomatic at times. Let us show the other Great Houses the meaning of Kuritan respect and honor. :)

Long as you don't try it anywhere near Kentares, you should be fine! :P

I'd also say, in the end it seems easier for Hayden to keep it a merc unit due to the ability to have more control over it especially since it's not a canon unit. If people confuse it for the rest of the LAG, maybe that works to his advantage, in universe and out. I don't see that as disqualifying the use of the name, and is a sight more interesting story wise then having him change it.

Maybe I'm not such a stickler for canon when it's concerning a somewhat obscure unit that had a retcon anyway, or wanting Hayden to have the freedom to build the unit he wants using the name he'd like (seeing as it's not an actual canon name.)

Edited by Jack Gallows, 17 June 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#52 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:53 AM

The 3rd Amphigean LAG is pleased to announce the foundation of Alpha Company! We are currently accepting applications for new enlisted personnel in the Command, Fire and Recon lances! Two positions for interested officer candidates are opening in the Fire and Recon lances (one in each lance!)

#53 Omdra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:10 AM

*thumbs up* from me :D

rgds
Om

#54 Lorchan

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:27 AM

Cudos to your work on this unit. I have been looking for weeks about how to start a Mercenary group, but no instructions or rules or how to's exist. I am hoping that once we are in the game our group can become official.

#55 Jack Gallows

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,824 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

Bright on horizon
The dragon's heart beats strongly
Fire and honor

#56 BoxOfAids

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMA, USA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostJack Gallows, on 19 June 2012 - 08:02 AM, said:

Bright on horizon
The dragon's heart beats strongly
Fire and honor

Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

#57 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:20 AM

Posted Image

3rd Amphigean Light Assault Group

Alpha Company

"Lucky B*stards"

Now accepting applications.

Edited by Hayden, 19 June 2012 - 11:21 AM.

#58 BoxOfAids

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMA, USA

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

View PostHayden, on 19 June 2012 - 11:20 AM, said:

Posted Image

3rd Amphigean Light Assault Group

Alpha Company

"Lucky B*stards"

Now accepting applications.

Aw yeah, Alpha company resresentin'!

#59 Kybaliom

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:58 AM

Lucky bump! Still looking for experienced pilots to mount our alpha company. Join NOW :D

http://alag.enjin.com/recruitment

Edited by Kybaliom, 20 June 2012 - 05:59 AM.

#60 BoxOfAids

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 175 posts
  • LocationMA, USA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:13 AM

Bump, needs moar alpha company

Edited by boxofaids, 21 June 2012 - 08:13 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users