• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

Dear MechWarriorOnline Developers,

What I See This Game Could Be

A Game where I can Have My own home-base maps that I can invite friends to hang out and train. A Home Base that can be assaulted (by invite.) A Home Base that I can upgrade with anti-mech artillery emplacements and litter with drop ship zones. Enormous and Customizable maps. I don't just want more Mechs, I Want to Buy Maps! With Fortresses! That Me and My Friends Build! I Would Give you Moneys for Map Development!

I'd like to reiterate and expound the concept of Enormous. I'd love to own a Viridian Bog style map four times It's current size with a small (to start) base in the center. And I'd love to be able to Expand and Develop that base. However, I'd also like to drop on maps that are as large as possible, given the current technology and platform, against hundreds of MechWarriors with every Mech that I own In Epic Rumbles that would make the developers of Battlefield Proud.

A True MMO style Persistent Universe that I can drop in with lore based cities and resource points that can be controlled and mined for materials and credits. It would be awesome to be able to take contracts from mining companies to protect their operation against raids by Mechwarriors who take contracts to assault them. Or how about colony defense? City Defense? How about maps of economically important cities that span hundreds of kilometers with a key spaceport at it's center that must be defended against hordes of invaders!

Arena Style Training Grounds I can fight in where I can drop from a drop deck with 12, 16, 20, 24 Mechs in a row (or all of them lol!) in fights that are 64 vs 64 or more Posted Image I can see battles over resource points that pay to Units the materials and credits needed to upgrade the Units home base! I can imagine defending five anti-drop ship emplacements placed like a baseball diamond around a central base (with the fifth anti-drop ship artillery emplacement as its core component, think pitchers mound) against waves and waves of dozens of Mechs intent on destroying everything, me included, on a map that is Canyon Network to the eighth power, for Loot and Glory! Gamemode Idea: Playing for Pinks, Winner Take All!

I Want To Trick My Rides!!!

I want Mechs to be upgradeable in a way that is reminiscent of buying custom components for cars in some racing games. I want to Trick My Rides! With components from lore-based companies with in game currency (or real currency, think MC for c-bill purchases) that have properties that mimic quirks! The more your mech is upgraded the higher the tier it is for matchmaking. Components can be divided into five tiers with stock equipment being the sixth base tier. Leveling your mech with experience unlocks tiers! Components that could be upgraded: weapons, computer suites, sensor components, engines, actuators, coolant systems, and permanent pilot-able UAVs with every Mech that I own that only have to be replaced if they're destroyed, and on and on!

In summery,
I Want More Maps, Much Bigger Maps!!! A Home Base I can Develop!!! Larger Scale Battles!!! And I Want a Hanger full of Tier One Tricked Out Mechs!!!

p.s. I Would Give You Moneys to Develop Maps With A Bake Sale For Servers and Maps!!!
https://mwomercs.com...-sale-for-maps/

Posted Image

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 03 June 2017 - 08:51 AM.

#2 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:29 AM

I'd pay a World of Warcraft style subscription and a $60 buy in for these kinds of improvements.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:32 AM

View PostKatastrophe Kid, on 01 June 2017 - 11:29 AM, said:

I'd pay a World of Warcraft style subscription and a $60 buy in for these kinds of improvments.

They'd need that kind of buy-in to rent the servers it would take to run that and recode the game for a new engine which could handle all that without lag.

#4 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:44 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 01 June 2017 - 11:32 AM, said:

They'd need that kind of buy-in to rent the servers it would take to run that and recode the game for a new engine which could handle all that without lag.

I would Pay, Gladly.

#5 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 June 2017 - 11:54 AM

This Game isn't a tenth of what it could be.

#6 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:12 PM

Mechwarrior is not clash of clans bud. Lol if it was anything like your saying i would move onto something completely different.

#7 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:14 PM

View PostNatred, on 01 June 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

Mechwarrior is not clash of clans bud. Lol if it was anything like your saying i would move onto something completely different.

The salt would wash into to the sea.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 01 June 2017 - 12:17 PM.

#8 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 June 2017 - 01:49 PM

I feel like a mech pack purchuse is a worthwhile investment to further the development of this game that I love. I feel the same way about MC purchases. But, I'd also like to have some of my purchases invest in maps and bigger maps specifically. As well as an increase in playable mechs per map, up the game to 16 vs 16 and six mechs in a drop deck. And my feelings about replacing the skill tree with 'I Want to Trick My Rides!!!' are resolute.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 01 June 2017 - 01:51 PM.

#9 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:00 PM

When StarCitizen is done PGI could ask if they could use the engine and advancements made there to create a real MechWarrior MMO Posted Image

I mean just imagne if PGI would just do one full build out planet that is persistant. With Citiys, Military bases, Spaceports, idfferent climate zones and so on.
Just that one Planet with a constant ongoing war and a working economey would entertain people for maybe a year or so, if not longer.
For FW it would be immensly immersive as well as challeging, giveing big units something to realy sink their teeth into. Owning a small part of the planet. Starting with a small mobile base, building that up to a fortress.......lots of stuff to be done.

Also you could have players doing convoy runs with trucks and tank. Have Pilots take the sky and the ultimate reiinforcement a units own dropship to get around the planet.

I can imagne so much you could do with a single Planet. Now imagne that they would add a Planet every year or two.

Also I think the ideal starting Planet would be Tukayyid...except that we exchange ComStar with the greate houses and clans...well they do their thing.
On the other hand...I bet that most people wouldn't care much for the lore anyway if they would be told that they can have an entire persistant planet as their playground.

No matter if PGI would ever go into the MMO terretorie or not, I think it could help a lot to ask CIG for their experiance with Cryengine/Lumberyard and how they optimized things. PGI and CIG should definitly go for an exchange of knowledge.

Edited by Nesutizale, 01 June 2017 - 02:02 PM.

#10 Kalleballe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

When was last time we got a new map? Forget it, development have almost stopped.

#11 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:18 PM

Damn, you get it Nesutizale, lol

So, PvE Raids That Tell a Story, Fights over Space Ports and Strategically Important Economic Resource like Mining Colonys and Manufacturing Cities. That would also be playable PvP. Made like WoW expansions. Cbills and Resources earned spent to upgrade personal home bases and a Units Home Base. And Tricked Out Mechs. Let Me Trick My Rides!

View PostNesutizale, on 01 June 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

When StarCitizen is done PGI could ask if they could use the engine and advancements made there to create a real MechWarrior MMO Posted Image

I mean just imagne if PGI would just do one full build out planet that is persistant. With Citiys, Military bases, Spaceports, idfferent climate zones and so on.
Just that one Planet with a constant ongoing war and a working economey would entertain people for maybe a year or so, if not longer.
For FW it would be immensly immersive as well as challeging, giveing big units something to realy sink their teeth into. Owning a small part of the planet. Starting with a small mobile base, building that up to a fortress.......lots of stuff to be done.

Also you could have players doing convoy runs with trucks and tank. Have Pilots take the sky and the ultimate reiinforcement a units own dropship to get around the planet.

I can imagne so much you could do with a single Planet. Now imagne that they would add a Planet every year or two.

Also I think the ideal starting Planet would be Tukayyid...except that we exchange ComStar with the greate houses and clans...well they do their thing.
On the other hand...I bet that most people wouldn't care much for the lore anyway if they would be told that they can have an entire persistant planet as their playground.

No matter if PGI would ever go into the MMO terretorie or not, I think it could help a lot to ask CIG for their experiance with Cryengine/Lumberyard and how they optimized things. PGI and CIG should definitly go for an exchange of knowledge.

This, all of it....

And this,
Aerospace and Mechwarrior and a First Person Shooter aspect that would allow a Pilot to fight dismounted from his mech. Running to the hanger to mount up and roll out. Waiting to Drop. When your mech is disabled an escape pod ejects and you're flown to your next mech, whether its a dropship or a hanger. Cockpit shots force you to dismount and wait for extraction. Pray your friends dont die and clear the area for pilot rescue, because if they don't, you aint nothin' to my Tier One Mercury Metals Death Dealer Extended Range ac20s (+20% range, +15%velocity, +5% cooldown), go home clan scum.

I would pay $15 a month that bought (not rented), and provided for the maintenence of and services of: dedicated servers (buy them, don't rent them) so that I can enjoy account linked real estate as well as $60 bucks a year expanded PvE and PvP content.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 08:14 AM.

#12 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 June 2017 - 02:53 PM

MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries V2.0

now with tricked out mechs

and estates, personal and unit bases

and epic battles

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 01 June 2017 - 03:03 PM.

#13 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

It would probably be best to not do the gear leveling all at once. Start with tier 5 and tier 4 with the current stock equipment taking the place of the 6th tier slot. Research and create and Manufacturing Companies that will sell this 'Patented' equipment that has tier appropriate quirk style improvements over stock equipment. Think Street Racing Games. Everything purchable with c-bills. Equipment slot upgrades payed for with experience, X amount of XP to upgrade my weapon hard points or my sensor suite slot or my engine slot or my actuator agility slot or my whatever slot to the next tier so I can equip the next tier of tier-appropriate quirk-like enhanced 'patented' equipment.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 01 June 2017 - 05:06 PM.

#14 Peiper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 1,444 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationA fog where no one notices the contrast of white on white

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:11 AM

You're a dreamer, kid.

As am I.

As I BELIEVE Russ, Bryan, Paul and the bunch were when they began working on this game.

I'm no developer, but I expect what you're asking for is beyond the capabilities of this game engine and the servers. My evidence of that, however, is based upon what has been done so far. But I could be wrong, too, that they've only tapped a bit of the potential.

When I've approached the devs, I've given them a sort of road map of things they could do, adding things incrementally so that any mistakes wouldn't require a monumental effort to repair and a rewind.

I can't help but thinking of the last faction war town hall. It was heartbreaking. 3 hours of mostly talking about buckets (managing players and ensuring they get drops, mostly by reducing the number of possible match ups so as to force those who are playing to play against each other). There were some balance issue things, if I recall, and vague promises of a new game mode. Maybe. My memory has gotten fuzzy.

The point is, there were several intelligent people in that town hall, and they DIDN'T talk about what they could add to the game. They talked about managing what they had. There was no talk of future possibilities. Nothing that would suggest the devs had any hope, dreams or vision for something bigger. The promises of the San Francisco launch party seem like a eulogy to community warfare when looking back in retrospect.

Your dreams, my dreams and hopes seem to run contrary to what appears to be tunnel vision by the devs. They're so afraid of screwing up what they worked so hard to hammer out, that they're simply polishing their gems, rather than adding more to the collection. The new skill tree was simply a re-packaging of the old skill tree with the exception that we get to choose some of the quirks that they chose for us in the past. That's not something new, just a repackage. Incursion mode is kind of interesting, but we got it at the cost of no new maps and hardly any content (dropships hovering over your base is about the only new content there, besides squirreling batteries around). Other than 'siege' maps, CW is respawnable death matches from quickplay. Scouting drops are a fun variation of conquest. Then there's all the balancing, and balancing. Before that it was host-state rewind, resizing, and tons of new mechs, skins, decals and do-dads.

My point is, in the last few years, have we seen single tank? Any sort of aircraft? Elementals or srm teams? Smoke rounds from artillery, minefields, destructible terrain? How about anything related to strategy on the IS map? There is still absolutely no reason to work hard to take a planet, no supply lines, no raid missions, nothing other than a map with pre-determined planets that make stars subtly change colors. There's no economy of any kind, black market, or salvage. I've sent in ideas to add all these things in step by step into the game with minimal effort and one guy at PGI who isn't a dev acknowledged that my thoughts were appreciated.

I don't know that the devs are receptive to new ideas is the thing. I really wish that when someone like you, who puts a lot of thought and effort into typing up your ideas and present them in a clear manner with no malice or sarcasm attached, that a dev would drop by and say: hey! we hear you! Or maybe, those are some great ideas, but here's what we're doing: and give us an idea of what they're doing.

We both love the game. We both recognize the potential. While I have a different vision for the game than you do, I would still support your idea because it is something MORE than what we have. Even something as simple (in my none dev mind) as a map a month seems too much for PGI, and yet they won't let us put maps into the private lobbies for us to create some new game modes and objective-type scenarios. Mechs sales might make PGI money, but CONTENT and MEANING keep us playing, not new mechs. Once we have a good array of mastered mechs, we keep playing for three reasons. I think of it as a table on three legs. We love our MWO friends, we love battletech/mechwarrior, and because there's new and exciting things to do. But a table can't stand on just two of those legs, and that's where it's been for a long time.

PGI, whether you take our ideas and use them or not, or come up with your own: do it. And if you've lost the hope and dreams that you had when you began this project, then find a way to bring it back. In a marriage that has gone stale, a counselor will tell the couple to change one thing each week. Go out and do things they've never done, or try things you failed at in the past, or change your brand of tooth paste. CHANGE. Shake things up. If that takes a change in management, it might be worth it for the sake of the company and longevity of the game. I don't wish jobs lost when I say that. I mean, shake things up. And if you can't do what we've been begging you to do for years, then admit the game engine is too limited and get a new game engine. CHANGE.

If you have tunnel vision, set off a nuke, blow up the mountain so you can stand in the sunshine again and build a city from the rubble.

Don't be afraid to hope and dream again.

#15 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:18 AM

I have said it before, but PGI would benefit a lot from developing a MMO PVE only game for mechwarrior/battletech, they could get away with a lot of stuff like this that people love for the lore aspects, teambuilding and of course rambo epeen measuring ;)

It would have to be wholly PVE, and an entirely separate project from MWO, but it could be a very similar style (good graphics, first person shooter style), while being all or mostly about the RPG aspects involved in mechwarrior.

It really is what I think a large percentage of players want, a pretty unbalanced roflstomper in big robots game, where no one really complains about unbalanced BS, because the things being smashed repeatedly are AI NPCs.

#16 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:20 AM

I know I'm dreaming big, but, go big or go home.

#17 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:24 AM

View PostKatastrophe Kid, on 01 June 2017 - 10:53 AM, said:

I want Mechs to be upgradeable in a way that is reminiscent of buying custom components for cars in some racing games. I want to Trick My Rides! With components from lore-based companies with in game currency or real currency that have properties that mimic quirks! The more your mech is upgraded the higher the tier it is for matchmaking. Components can be divided into five tiers with stock equipment being the sixth base tier. Leveling your mech with experience unlocks tiers! Components that could be upgraded: weapons, computer suites, sensor components, engines, actuators, coolant systems, and permanent pilot-able UAVs with every Mech that I own that only have to be replaced if they're destroyed, and on and on!

p.s. I would give you moneys for maps.

:)

I can't tell if you're serious or not, but since you MIGHT be, I'll give you my reasoning for why these would be terrible without joking.

Tiers based on vehicle stats have a fun habit of becoming incredibly grindtastic in games like these, to the point where people have to spend hundreds of hours or spend tons of cash to get anywhere. That sort of grinding isn't fun for me at all. Additionally, it would split the playerbase, and the playerbase isn't large enough currently to let the tier system that is in place right now to work properly.

In that same vein, map packs would increase the split to horrifying degrees. And that's overlooking the fact that map packs are terrible for the consumer and should burn.

The rest of your post just ain't going to happen, due to how much of a spaghetti code this game is already, and the fact that it was never designed for anything like what you're asking for, and would require being rebuilt from the ground up to accomplish. I hate to squash your dreams man, but with all of the basic things this game is lacking, like colorblind support, these requests are painfully far out there.

#18 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:25 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 02 June 2017 - 12:18 AM, said:

I have said it before, but PGI would benefit a lot from developing a MMO PVE only game for mechwarrior/battletech, they could get away with a lot of stuff like this that people love for the lore aspects, teambuilding and of course rambo epeen measuring Posted Image

It would have to be wholly PVE, and an entirely separate project from MWO, but it could be a very similar style (good graphics, first person shooter style), while being all or mostly about the RPG aspects involved in mechwarrior.

It really is what I think a large percentage of players want, a pretty unbalanced roflstomper in big robots game, where no one really complains about unbalanced BS, because the things being smashed repeatedly are AI NPCs.

PvE Raids and Strike Missions, Mining Colony Protection Missions, etc... all that and a home base for my unit, mixed with a healthy serving of PvP on the side.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 08:25 AM.

#19 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:35 AM

View PostRestosIII, on 02 June 2017 - 12:24 AM, said:

I can't tell if you're serious or not, but since you MIGHT be, I'll give you my reasoning for why these would be terrible without joking.

Tiers based on vehicle stats have a fun habit of becoming incredibly grindtastic in games like these, to the point where people have to spend hundreds of hours or spend tons of cash to get anywhere. That sort of grinding isn't fun for me at all. Additionally, it would split the playerbase, and the playerbase isn't large enough currently to let the tier system that is in place right now to work properly.

In that same vein, map packs would increase the split to horrifying degrees. And that's overlooking the fact that map packs are terrible for the consumer and should burn.

The rest of your post just ain't going to happen, due to how much of a spaghetti code this game is already, and the fact that it was never designed for anything like what you're asking for, and would require being rebuilt from the ground up to accomplish. I hate to squash your dreams man, but with all of the basic things this game is lacking, like colorblind support, these requests are painfully far out there.

I'm not joking. Developers who made their games too much of a grind have made a mistake that doesn't have to be repeated. Its the economy, units that do do drops together on weekends could distribute the fund that they earn together to help beef up unit member's mechs (perks of being in a unit.) If you mean map packs that only can be played on by players who have bought them, then no, I don't want nor did I intend to imply anything of the sort. However, I would love a Base. And MORE MAPS, bigger maps. Work on 16v16 next, with maps and game modes that support them. I know that every idea I proposed can't feasibly be done over night and delivered to my doorstep with a pretty bow, but, Dream Big or Go Home and A Journey of a Thousand Miles... blah blah blah....

and my feelings about Tricked-Out Mechs are resolute, just keep the grind reasonable, I mean I play the game anyway so it really isn't a grind for me.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 08:22 AM.

#20 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 02 June 2017 - 12:49 AM

Easy for all you guys to say "what you'd pay for"..

We get it, you've got cash.. great for you..

But the BEST thing about MWO is that its FREE TO PLAY.

Let's not let the rich kids spoil it for the rest of us, huh?

Paying for maps? Are you crazy?

Absolutely NOT a good idea..

Monthly subscriptions? Yeah, cut 70% of your player base away.. You know, 60$ a month is more than double what some of us pay for our Internet connections..

Or food.

So cut this P2W bullshait..

The only things that should be available for real $ other than the ones we already have are:

1) Custom (cosmetic) mech geometry

2) Customisable mech bays

3) Custom pilot skins

4) Custom achievement display cases

5) Brand name weapons and equipment (Like a brand name PPC that has some minor bonuses to how much XP or cbills you get)

6) 1 milion mech XP + 500 MC to make a mech a "Legendary mech" with a 25% cbill boost

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users