I Want To Trick My Rides With 'patented' Equipment!

33 replies to this topic

#1 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

I Want To Trick My Rides!!!

'Patented' Equipment

I want Mechs to be upgrade-able in a way that is reminiscent of buying custom components for cars in some racing games. I want to Trick My Rides! With components from lore-based companies bought with in game currency that have properties that mimic quirks! The more your mech is upgraded the higher the tier it is for matchmaking. Components can be divided into five tiers with stock equipment being the sixth base tier. Leveling your mech with experience unlocks tiers! Components that could be upgraded: weapons, armor, computer suites, sensor components, engines, actuators, coolant systems, and pilot-able UAVs that only have to be replaced if they're destroyed, and on and on!

Add it to the (hopefully soon to be reworked) skill tree, with the skill tree providing modest, adjustable base stats.

Don't over do it on the bonuses provided by Custom Components.

Level cap like this: Five Tier 5, Four Tier 4, Three Tier 3, Two Tier 2, One Tier 1
Example of a Mech fully Leveled: Tier One Weapons, Tier 2 Armor, Tier 3 Engine, Tier 4 Computer Suite, Tier 5 Sensors, Everything else Tier 6 (base equipment)

Once a Mech Variant is Leveled it is Unlocked for all extra copies owned, just spend the c-bill to equip.

Don't Make IT A Grind!!! Make leveling a single mech painless while still being enough work to feel like an accomplishment.

Keep the Cost Down, Make the c-bill cost of custom equipment a 20% mark up per tier over standard equipment prices. Tier One Patented Equipment doubles the price.

The skill tree is kind of meh. One dimensional, Custom Equipment just adds a certain flare to leveling mechs.

Have Different Variants of the same piece of Equipment in a given Tier have different stats.
Example: Three Tier 1 engines, One that focuses on Speed and Hill Climb, One that focuses on Fall Damage Reduction and Legged Mobility, and another that focuses on Torso Twist Speed.

Two Tier One Mercury Metals Extended Range Death Dealer AC20s for my King Crab!!!

What!?!

Stats: +24% Range, +12% ballistic velocity, +12% Cool down, -5% Critical Chance, +15% Impact (screen Shake)

Now Doesn't that sound like a great addition to the skill tree?

I know this might make some Monsters, but,

I Want A MONSTER with which to fight MONSTERS!!!

p.s. nothing grows in salted ground

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 03:54 PM.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:01 AM

This is stepping on to the slippery slope that is Pay To Win. PGI has done a good job avoiding this path, and they should stay the course. IMO

#3 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 10:08 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 02 June 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

This is stepping on to the slippery slope that is Pay To Win. PGI has done a good job avoiding this path, and they should stay the course. IMO

Its demonstrably not pay to win if all the equipment is available for c-bills, like I stated in my opening gambit.

The more your mech is upgraded the higher the tier it is for matchmaking. Monster Mechs fight Monster Mechs.
Add a Quick Play Stock Mech Battle Mode without Patented Equipment bonuses for those that are into that kind of thing. (Looking at you Peiper.) Posted Image

Please Comment on following Threads:

https://mwomercs.com...ey-for-servers/

https://mwomercs.com...rs/page__st__20

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 11:03 AM.

#4 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

Sounds like STO's weapons system.
I hate it.

#5 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:34 PM

At least Custom Equipment has depth, better than the flat lifeless skill tree.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 01:35 PM.

#6 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

Let critical hits have a tiny chance of permanently destroying Patented Equipment. Let me gift stuff in my inventory to other players. Let my Unit hook up members with inventory bought by the Unit.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 03:03 PM.

#7 BumbleBee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 527 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 01:55 PM

Straight buffs does not equal "depth". Depth would be making choices, what you are proposing is actually extremely shallow.

I play this game because of the customiseability. What you are proposing would make me finally drop the game

#8 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

View PostBumbleBee, on 02 June 2017 - 01:55 PM, said:

Straight buffs does not equal "depth". Depth would be making choices, what you are proposing is actually extremely shallow.

I play this game because of the customiseability. What you are proposing would make me finally drop the game

Was I not Clear in my post? Or did you not bother to read it Fully?

Being able to chose whether you want to bump your weapons to tier one over your engine or computer suite, and which weapon you want? To be able to choose one weapon variant that is Named over another in the same tier for its quirk stats? That's shallow? Please, we must have a different understanding of the meaning of 'shallow.'

Patented Equipment would add So much more depth and choice for customization. Don't want an engine that focuses on speed, but rather torso twist speed? Pick the one that has the stats that reflect the role you want your mech to play. Save your tier one slot for your sensors if your a scout and want to have boosted advanced seismic sensors, target info gathering, advanced sensor range and target decay. Want a tank? Put Armor and Structure bonuses for your Tier 1 slot. etc...

A fully leveled mech would only have one tier 1 slot, one tier 2, one tier 3, one tier 4 and the rest tier 5.
Have Different Variants of the same piece Equipment in a given Tier with different stats.
Pick your poison. As long as the quirks are in small enough increments so that there is a minimal difference between mechs only a couple of tiers apart and have matchmaking take into consideration the mechs tier, then mixed matches would be fine.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 03:05 PM.

#9 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:12 PM

Theory Crafting would go insane. And not just for individual mechs, Lance Crafting.

Three Warhammers and an Atlas. One Warhammer Focuses on Speed and Sensors for its Tier 1 and Tier 2 slots to better run as point man, the other two focus on Firepower and Armor while the Atlas focuses on Mobility over Firepower to better keep up with his Lance so they can quickly get to superior firing positions.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 03:15 PM.

#10 Kangarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 573 posts
  • LocationIn the Mechlab, adding more Double Heatsinks.

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

look balancing is allready all over the floor ... id like it to not get worse.
PGI allready has all theyr hands full with teh current stuff realy.

#11 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:36 PM

View PostKangarad, on 02 June 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

look balancing is allready all over the floor ... id like it to not get worse.
PGI allready has all theyr hands full with teh current stuff realy.

If you already believe that it would be too difficult or impossible to balance a system like this then you've lost before you've begun. I know that its possible, it would require an substantial investment in time and resources for development, so, it isn't something that would happen over night.

But you are right that PGI already has their hands full for the near future.

I'm just dreaming long term.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 03:38 PM.

#12 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

Just to be clear here, You think PGI would implement something like this and NOT make it a ridiculous grind or make it PTW?

Haaaaa ha ahahaaaaaa ha ha ha!!!

#13 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:42 PM

View PostTLBFestus, on 02 June 2017 - 03:37 PM, said:

Just to be clear here, You think PGI would implement something like this and NOT make it a ridiculous grind or make it PTW?

Haaaaa ha ahahaaaaaa ha ha ha!!!

I believe what I see, and since I haven't seen it yet I'm not counting either possibility out. Maybe they'd make it a ridiculous grind, maybe they'd make it pay to win, maybe they wouldn't. They may never even seriously consider this. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, I'll just be dreaming.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 03:43 PM.

#14 JagdpantherX

• PipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

Your just suggesting what the skill tree already does, but only in a slightly different form, you do realize that right?

Edited by JagdpantherX, 02 June 2017 - 04:26 PM.

#15 Kangarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 573 posts
  • LocationIn the Mechlab, adding more Double Heatsinks.

Posted 02 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

View PostKatastrophe Kid, on 02 June 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

If you already believe that it would be too difficult or impossible to balance a system like this then you've lost before you've begun. I know that its possible, it would require an substantial investment in time and resources for development, so, it isn't something that would happen over night.

But you are right that PGI already has their hands full for the near future.

I'm just dreaming long term.

I know that there is the possibility of it being done... it is however preferable to keep nerfing good this and the adding more better things for people to grind and nobody has actualy done a full balance on a game with sub components where theres not a hard meta. I just dotn trust PGI or well anyone to just find the magic equation were people find all things equal in value... which for most will be very boring btw.

#16 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:01 PM

View PostJagdpantherX, on 02 June 2017 - 03:45 PM, said:

Your just suggesting what the skill tree already does, but only in a slightly different form, you do realize that right?

Its not just different, its an Expansion to the current system.

View PostKangarad, on 02 June 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

I know that there is the possibility of it being done... it is however preferable to keep nerfing good this and the adding more better things for people to grind and nobody has actualy done a full balance on a game with sub components where theres not a hard meta. I just dotn trust PGI or well anyone to just find the magic equation were people find all things equal in value... which for most will be very boring btw.

I have foreseen balancing issues which is why I advocated that the differences in tiers be as minimal as possible while still providing a noticeable improvement in performance. Sure a Tier 6, strait off the showroom floor Mech vs a Tier 1 Tricked out Mech would get destroyed, but the difference between a Tier 4 and a Tier 2 mech would be small enough that it would still be overwhelmingly based on pilot skill.

It doesn't have to be perfectly balanced and a lot of us like theory crafting and watching our RPG characters grow. I really enjoyed racing games that let me upgrade my rides as I won, Slowly adding better parts until it was perfect. I'd like to have catalogs of equipment to choose from for my mechs.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 04:12 PM.

#17 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:02 PM

I LOVE THE IDEA...just not for MWO's battletech. If they spin off another game yeah, that would be awesome! Not here though. I'd like here to stay as battletechy as possible regardless of how impossible the feat may be.

But again, the idea is great, for some reason Armored Core keep coming to mind. Remember the mind boggling amount of weapons and equipment were in that game? That was one of a kind at that time...and i'm pretty sure there still isn't a game out there that has gone that far...dunno maybe hawken? I dunno...i'm rambling.

#18 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

"Patented" equipment (this is an utter travesty of lexicography btw) should not be about ANY performance issue. It should be exclusively about aesthetics. If I want a Sunglow large laser on the arm of my Thunderbolt that is as big as the lower torso of a Panther and am willing to pay MC for that then let me have it! But that Sunglow large laser ought to perform no better than any other ...sigh..."patented" large laser. Such equipment should be in effect an elaborate three dimensional, hit box affecting decal.

#19 King Chimera

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

I'd prefer it if different weapons could be made by different companies. I don't know much about Battletech lore, but on sarna weapon systems seem to have various names attached to the weapon. An example being a laser that runs slightly hotter, but has slightly more range or vise versa.

#20 Katastrophy Kid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 123 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 02 June 2017 - 04:14 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 02 June 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

"Patented" equipment (this is an utter travesty of lexicography btw) should not be about ANY performance issue. It should be exclusively about aesthetics. If I want a Sunglow large laser on the arm of my Thunderbolt that is as big as the lower torso of a Panther and am willing to pay MC for that then let me have it! But that Sunglow large laser ought to perform no better than any other ...sigh..."patented" large laser. Such equipment should be in effect an elaborate three dimensional, hit box affecting decal.

lol, explain the lexicon travesty. I like to learn new stuff, what am I missing? (seriously, I miss stuff all the time)

Regardless (I bet you'd have flipped if I'd used irregardless, lol) the main point is leveling, this is kind of an RPG, sure a Stompy Robots Arena Battle RPG, but an RPG nonetheless. Aesthetics would be the icing on the Cake that is my Vision.

Edited by Katastrophe Kid, 02 June 2017 - 04:20 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users