Did The Skill Tree Make Your Mechs Loadouts Change?

28 replies to this topic

#21 GRRRT

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

I bought a few new mechs with all the money it gave me but for most of my existing ones the loadouts remain unchanged. I had to figure out how to manage without radar derp (which I considered essential previously) or speed tweak (which I never really paid much attention to tbh) but that is mostly a matter of cover and positioning. 90% of my skill trees look very similar to each other, zoom if the mech needs it followed by mandatory operations, one point in consumables, then firepower and structure investment depending on the mech.

A few of my mechs like Maulers, my Summoner, my Nova (which already was unreliable) and one of my Riflemen were gimped into less than usefulness and were summarily stripped of equipment, painted noob green and put into long term storage.

Others like my Mad Dogs and Gargoyle got hit hard by the engine decoupling, making them a bit harder to use than before...

For all the complaints about IS mechs being ruined by the skill tree I swear I don't notice any difference. Sure the quirks got hit a bit but the skill tree usually makes up for it and in some cases even buffs the things. I always have and still do consider my IS mechs to be on par or better than their clan counterparts and the main reason I rarely use them is the lack of quality among the playerbase on the IS side in faction play....

My old Gargoyle loadout ended up being scrapped entirely (due to cooldown nerf) in favor of a new one made viable by the skill tree. It is the only mech I have that has no need for the operations tree and is thus able to almost max out both firepower and survival trees. Which is good, because I had to strip a bunch of armor off the thing to fit the heavy weapons... Only other changes were some mechs and loadouts getting switched around on the IS side between my close and long range drop decks depending on whether they had range quirks or not.

My Kitfox, Vipers and Marauder 2Cs got a nice survival boost as well. The things were way too fragile before. Yes I know the Marauders could take insane amounts of damage already but walking around at 15% with most of my firepower gone is not my idea of tankiness.

Edited by GRRRT, 07 June 2017 - 04:21 PM.

#22 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:34 PM

A little. Mostly I dropped a ton of ammo from my ballistic/missile builds. I upgraded my targeting computer on a couple of clan mechs, though I'm not sure if I'm going to keep that.

#23 Dollar Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLost in the Skill Maze.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:35 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 07 June 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

None. Cuz I am not playing any of my old (existing at the time the skills tree dropped) mechs. Shelved all 159 IS mechs until PGI stops mucking with quirks, nodes, tech and other balance features for more than a month at a time. I just refuse to play the pick 91 nodes mini game only to have pgi change the rules of the game every month and then charge me to play again because of their planned changes (that they keep us in the dark about).

When there is some semblance of stability (I'm guessing September-ish) I'll play them again and I doubt any builds will change unless energy rebalance really screws them over.

I agree. This is mostly why I stopped playing, maybe for good. I already feel the Skill Maze is too unnecessarily convoluted, and a pointless waste of time. To have PGI make questionable changes on a whim every month, making me deal with the Skill Maze over and over again, plus charge me a respec cost too? I'd rather avoid that frustrating hamster wheel. Too much work just to get nowhere.

Edited by Dollar Bill, 07 June 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#24 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:17 PM

For most nope but in some cases it did. For example my Loyal Cataphract mounted Dual ER PPC in the torsos and it worked great prior to the skill tree but after the skill tree, even building for maximum heat efficiency, my build was just to hot to run. Not sure what happened but now I can't find a build I like at all for it.

#25 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,910 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:30 PM

View PostDollar Bill, on 07 June 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

I agree. This is mostly why I stopped playing, maybe for good. I already feel the Skill Maze is too unnecessarily convoluted, and a pointless waste of time. To have PGI make questionable changes on a whim every month, making me deal with the Skill Maze over and over again, plus charge me a respec cost too? I'd rather avoid that frustrating hamster wheel. Too much work just to get nowhere.

BAH. I don't quit though, do what I did: just buy a bunch of mechs that don't rely on quirks to be good. I REALLY like my Ebon Jag for example. I like it so much I may not go back to my IS mech even when there is a bit of stability. Thanks PGI for showing me the way.*

*(that was supposed to be dripping with sarcasm by the way).

#26 LORD ORION

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:57 PM

Bigger Dakka.

#27 Dollar Bill

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLost in the Skill Maze.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:23 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 07 June 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

BAH. I don't quit though, do what I did: just buy a bunch of mechs that don't rely on quirks to be good. I REALLY like my Ebon Jag for example. I like it so much I may not go back to my IS mech even when there is a bit of stability. Thanks PGI for showing me the way.*

*(that was supposed to be dripping with sarcasm by the way).

LOL. Thanks Bud, I'll give it a try. But man, I'm currently having way too much fun playing Fallout 4. Had some DLCs I never played and now the game has me by the neck again. Posted Image

#28 Spyco94

• PipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:24 PM

With the PPC quirk nerfs across the board I figured that it was time throw PPCs onto mechs that didn't have quirks for it. My Black knight used to be 3 LPLs and 4MLs. Now it's running 2 PPCs and 5 MLs. I think it's working out better than my old build due to reduced agility of mechs and not so insane twist speeds.

Edited by Spyco94, 07 June 2017 - 08:24 PM.

#29 Queen of England

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:37 PM

No.

I changed a few due to engine desync to add more guns in lieu of a large engine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users