23 replies to this topic

#1 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:01 PM

Or at least for what seems like 98% of our player base it is...

It kind'a struck me tonight while doing the "dead man ride along" during a match how few folks actually use their throttle to their advantage. It's either "full on" or "off" for so many and they are missing the advantages inherent with using it, namely controlling ones turn radius and enhancing their aim.

Part of the problem stems from the fact that PGI apparently glossed right over the fact that for most vehicles particularly military ones, their speed is discussed in "max speed" and "cruising speed". One being the maximum speed theoretically attainable and the other essentially being the "ideal", be it for comfort, economy or stability/performance.

IMHO... PGI is missing the boat on performance envelopes.

PGI addresses this only with the turn-radius envelope, i.e... speed translates linearly with turn-radius and acceleration/deceleration. The reality is it should also directly effect heat, stability and weapon accuracy.

Don't even get me started on what the walking cadence of a 100-ton mech would be and how that would affect the stability of it as a weapon platform... But I digress.

Summary: Folks... You have a graduated throttle for a reason. Try using for maximum manoeuvrability.

This has been todays PSA. Posted Image

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:12 PM

I used varius throttles in MW2-MW4 but I see less use of it in MWO. I do agree that max speed should adversely affect accuracy, cause that has been canon in novels, and will give another layer of immersion. "Gotta go fast" crowd will not like it though.

#3 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:22 PM

The way PGI put it before is that no one would make another sim mech game, the best the gaming companies would touch was Harken and we should be glad we got this instead of strafeing, sliding, healing mechs , so this game is a compromised sim in favor of the FPS crowd... live with it X) .

Edited by Nik Reaper, 07 June 2017 - 08:22 PM.

#4 RaptorRage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 133 posts
  • LocationLB-79

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:25 PM

If the game was better suited to joystick use like all the previous MechWarrior titles maybe people would be taking advantage of an analog throttle that can define any speed for better piloting control. The alternative is using the throttle decay toggle and tapping the keyboard a lot more.

#5 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:31 PM

View PostRaptorRage, on 07 June 2017 - 09:25 PM, said:

If the game was better suited to joystick use like all the previous MechWarrior titles maybe people would be taking advantage of an analog throttle that can define any speed for better piloting control. The alternative is using the throttle decay toggle and tapping the keyboard a lot more.

The default keyboard input uses a gradient input... No need for finger gymnastics or joystick. IMHO Throttle decay is even worse than not modulating ones speed.

#6 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:32 PM

I'm going to hard pass.

Being able to alternate full speed forward and reverse faster pays much bigger dividends in poking that dominates shoot outs beyond SPL range. Tapping the throttle is an acceptable price to pay.

Edited by Aggravated Assault Mech, 07 June 2017 - 09:33 PM.

#7 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 07 June 2017 - 09:41 PM

Personally I like to match speed with something larger than myself - at least until I need to gtfo. I do think there should be a 'sweet spot' for throttle/performance and so on (not only that but varying your speed can interfere with tracking.

#8 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:58 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 June 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

I used varius throttles in MW2-MW4 but I see less use of it in MWO. I do agree that max speed should adversely affect accuracy, cause that has been canon in novels, and will give another layer of immersion. "Gotta go fast" crowd will not like it though.

Might make camping even more prevalent.

I like the idea though.

#9 Pjwned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:39 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 June 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

It's not just that "gotta go fast" people wouldn't like it though, it would also make the game even more of a campfest than it already is if fast movement is punished.

#10 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:52 PM

When I tried using a joystick just to see how it would work the throttle is probably the best implemented feature. It works great, but that said torso twist and aiming is horrible using a joystick.

If I remember correctly I think torso twist in the virtual world centers was done with foot pedals. Anyway its pretty expensive to have a decent joystick / footpedal / throttle to do it right. You might as well build a cockpit if your that dedicated.

#11 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:59 PM

Well as primarily a fast medium/light player I always use variable speeds so I can try to throw peoples aim occasionally. Only downside is typing to players not on voice becomes a real pain....

Don't forget under the new decoupling system theres also a turning circle penalty depending on throttle so going max speed isn't necessarily always the best tactic (though my Commando/Javelins will thank you for it). ;)

#12 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:15 AM

View PostDaZur, on 07 June 2017 - 08:01 PM, said:

It kind'a struck me tonight while doing the "dead man ride along" during a match how few folks actually use their throttle to their advantage. It's either "full on" or "off" for so many and they are missing the advantages inherent with using it, namely controlling ones turn radius and enhancing their aim.

First of all, accelerating and decelerating as quickly as possible is far more valuabe. Second of, you can control your turn radius with brief pressing of the "W", as your mech does have inertia and does not react to throttle immidiately it results in average speed and thus lesser turning radius.

#13 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:25 AM

View PostPjwned, on 07 June 2017 - 11:39 PM, said:

It's not just that "gotta go fast" people wouldn't like it though, it would also make the game even more of a campfest than it already is if fast movement is punished.

I understand what you mean, but such a change would make the game more Battletech, for me. From its inception, Battletech had deliberate and steady style. I don't mind either way, as I can perform in both.

#14 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,921 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:35 AM

i use a ch pro throttle usb as my left hand control. its a slide action throttle and you can slam it full open faster than your mech can accelerate. so its really effective.

theres a time for full throttle, but most of the time you want to go at your formation's speed. having an analog go stick really helps you do this. you can also pump it to screw with the enemy's deflection shooting.

as for what the op was hinting at, its really useful with mechs like the exe. you have to cut your throttle to turn and then you can use masc for instant accel. it really catches the enemy off guard in a close in covered engagement.

Edited by LordNothing, 08 June 2017 - 12:46 AM.

#15 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 12:57 AM

"I've only got one speed - GO!"

#16 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 01:35 AM

#17 Excalibaard

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:24 AM

Throttle decay is better than the other setting, because without throttle decay you increase your throttle slower than your mech can accelerate in many cases for Lights and Mediums. Using high accel and decel throws off people's shots --> you live longer.

#18 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:13 AM

the speed you go in MWO is max cruising speed

mechs can sprint in tabletop, but not in MWO, and sprinting would be maximum speed. sprinting means you cant fire any weapons at all.

IMHO Throttle decay is even worse than not modulating ones speed.

throttle decay is the only way to play. at least for light mechs.

the problem with not using throttle decay is that quite a few mechs can accelerate/decelerate much faster than the throttle can adjust for it.

so like if you pilot a locust for example, and dont use throttle decay, youre cheating yourself out of a massive amount of acceleration/deceleration. When you pop out from behind cover that means giving the enemy between a half second or a second of extra exposure time. Thats really bad for a locust.

its another issue they really need to fix but probably never will...

Edited by Khobai, 08 June 2017 - 07:46 AM.

#19 Wyald Katt

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 165 posts
  • LocationHell (aka Florida)

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:38 AM

I use my lights without throttle decay, but I set my X key to kill throttle. That way I can peek, shoot, and back up without that delay, cept for having to tap W, X, then S.

I tried using the reverse throttle that lets you flip instantly between forward and reverse, but I couldn't get comfy with it.

Edited by Wyald Katt, 08 June 2017 - 05:39 AM.

#20 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:40 AM

While it's true that by default accel/decel is reacting faster with throttle decay on, there is a way to make that work for non-throttle decay too. By default increasing/decreasing throttle is set to be very smooth. This has the advantage to set your speed very precisely but as you guys know this also takes more time to set the speed than fast mechs need to adjust.

But in the settings you can re-assign the throttle-keys to be set in steps (i guess it was 10%). This way the speed can be set much faster and should be in throttle-decay efficiency while retaining the ability to move at a set speed.

If i wouldn't have used throttle decay for ages i would probably retrain myself and switch to this method because it combines the best of both worlds. But i'm lazy...

Edited by Daggett, 08 June 2017 - 06:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users