Is Starter Mechs - 4 Different Classes

BattleMechs General

33 replies to this topic

#1 Vordhosbn11

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to own 4 innersphere mechs in my mech warehouse to begin with (QP focus), and I'd really prefer to have one of each class (light, med, etc.). I feel the IS side takes more currency for experimentation because there are more variables to consider than the clan side, so I'm asking ya'll for some suggestions.

I already own a battlemaster 2c and a locust 1E - The battlemaster is 'mastered' per the skill tree, and I already have a 2.0 kdr while using it, so needless to say I really enjoy piloting it. The locust on the otherhand, really needs that max XL190 engine to be effective so I'm grinding my life away trying to save up for one. I have both of these mechs set up with lasers only, so in my opinion there is no huge risk on wasting money on something that may be inferior once the new tech drops.

My question to the community would be: what would be good IS heavy & medium mech additions to my first 4 mech purchases, and what builds would you recommend that 1. do not depend on getting an XL engine, and 2. are reasonably hedged against opportunity costs of new tech once it drops.

I purchased a rifleman 5d, outfit with 4x ER-LL and really did not like it (so it went up for auction in the House Steiner mech exchange), and now I'm looking at the grasshopper for a 3xmpl 2xlpl build w/STD engine (heavy), and maybe an energy-based enforcer (medium).

I'm not necessarily looking for something super role-sepcific, such as an outright LRM boat, SRM brawler, or LL-only sniper - rather, something mid-long range that handle various situations in QP without overly committing to a certain role. Once I have some more currency and have experimented more, I'll look into role-mechs but for now I just need a solid 4 mechs across each weightclass for QP grind.

Thanks!

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:02 AM

IS Heavy--GHR-5P, WHM-6D, JM6-DD, TDR-Top Dog. Roughneck is really tanky.

IS Medium--CDA-2B, CRB-27B, several variants of Shadowhawks, Centurions, and Bushwackers, depending on your loadout.

#3 Vordhosbn11

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 09 June 2017 - 08:02 AM, said:

IS Medium--CDA-2B, CRB-27B, several variants of Shadowhawks, Centurions, and Bushwackers, depending on your loadout.

Yes, I know the variant list from meta-mechs just fine.

I was really asking for people to be a bit more specific in builds they may, or may not have had success with that operate 1. without a critical need for an XL engine, 2. will not need a complete re-work once new tech drops.

Thank you though.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

View PostVordhosbn11, on 09 June 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

I was really asking for people to be a bit more specific in builds they may, or may not have had success with that operate 1. without a critical need for an XL engine, 2. will not need a complete re-work once new tech drops.

Thank you though.

Then do not pilot IS mechs for now. New tech and energy rebalance will screw with their quirks a lot, and there will be guaranteed losers.

I can only recommend safe options as TDR-Top Dog, HBK-4G, and Roughnecks, for Std engine builds that are not affected too much by weapon and energy rebalance changes.

Edited by El Bandito, 09 June 2017 - 08:17 AM.

#5 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:20 AM

Medium: BJ-1X

Fast, high hardpoints , spreads damage okay, all-energy role flexibility with lots of firepower available. Can be used well with both STD and XL engines. Hard to go wrong with this, quirks or no.

Heavy: DRG-1C

Better armor than a 75 tonner, excellent poking hardpoints, rolls damage well, can poke for days. Wears both STD and XL engines well. Use with triple LPL or triple ERLL. A bit of a one-trick-pony, it's easy to play and get results. It also leaves lots of tonnage for other stuff. Dependent upon quirks, but hard to ignore right now.

#6 Vordhosbn11

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 09 June 2017 - 08:20 AM, said:

Medium: BJ-1X

Fast, high hardpoints , spreads damage okay, all-energy role flexibility with lots of firepower available. Can be used well with both STD and XL engines. Hard to go wrong with this, quirks or no.

Heavy: DRG-1C

Better armor than a 75 tonner, excellent poking hardpoints, rolls damage well, can poke for days. Wears both STD and XL engines well. Use with triple LPL or triple ERLL. A bit of a one-trick-pony, it's easy to play and get results. It also leaves lots of tonnage for other stuff. Dependent upon quirks, but hard to ignore right now.

Do you think something like this could work for the DRG-1c?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...12763eafdb49141

It sucks because I really don't have the coffer size to experiment all that much - I know in time it will get better, but getting to that point is a real grind.

Edited by Vordhosbn11, 09 June 2017 - 08:57 AM.

#7 Mcgral18

• CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:52 AM

View PostVordhosbn11, on 09 June 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

It sucks because I really don't have the coffer size to experiment all that much - I know in time it will get better, but getting to that point is a real grind.

Id just go 3LPL
More overall range, similar damage, easier to use

#8 Dark Wooki33 IIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 379 posts
  • LocationBlessed Saxony

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

I guess from your liking for the blr2c you prefer mobile mechs with lpl. (exellent taste btw Posted Image )

So go for the Dragon-1C! Like others said this thing is a beast and great fun.
(i prefer this build DRG-1C )

The IS does have many excellent mediums that can work really well, but most are somewhat boring.
If you want a really awesome mech to pilot that is kinda unique try a pxh-3s. MASC on a speedy jump jet mech is simply the pure joy. This PXH-3S is the build that let me grin Posted Image .

#9 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:38 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 09 June 2017 - 08:02 AM, said:

As much as I love my Bushwacker (X2), it's not a mech I would readily suggest to just anyone as she requires a different mindset that most players I find readily apply in MWO. I use mine as a flanker/striker/ambusher/direct fire support unit and she works well in that role, but trying to play peek and poke with it and you will not have a good time.

#10 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

This is not my favorite of my IS Mediums but you really seem to want something with a STD engine, so I'm going to give you my Hunchback. HBK-4P

And this is my favorite IS Heavy and it fits your not really wanting an XL requirment quite nicely. It's even using the STD engine that it comes with stock so not only do you not have to buy a new XL engine, you don't have to buy a new engine at all. Please note the machine gun and AMS are completely optional and can be removed for additional heat sinks or jump jets if desired. I just have found AMS to have become something worth taking since the skill tree release and the MG is there because I am OCD about having unfilled weapons hardpoints. MAD-5M

#11 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:52 AM

View PostVordhosbn11, on 09 June 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

Thank you though.

If you want specific builds:

BJ-1X:
7xMedLas and STD275 (alt: drop 7th MedLas for 2x Small, my preferred build)
6xMedLas + 2x MedPulse and XL290
2x LargeLas + 6x MedLas and XL 225
6x MedPulse + 2x SmLas and XL 280
8 x SmPulse and STD 280

DRG-1C:
3x ERLarge and STD 280
3x ERLarge + 1x MedLas and XL 335
3x LgPulse and STD 275
3x LgPulse and XL 300
2x ER PPC + 2x MedLas and XL 325

#12 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:55 AM

View PostVordhosbn11, on 09 June 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

That's too weak for mid range and it doesn't have the repeatability of triple Large Pulse. Even at just 13 DHS, triple LPL is pretty chill and it has better range synergy.

If you want to do Gauss, you should go XL and equip ER LL, but then triple or quadruple ERLL is still better.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 09 June 2017 - 10:56 AM.

#13 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:02 AM

don't get a Jager DD (my first Mech) unless you like to die a lot

I have over 1300 deaths in that thing which is more deaths then a lot of people have total drops

#14 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

View PostDavegt27, on 09 June 2017 - 11:02 AM, said:

don't get a Jager DD (my first Mech) unless you like to die a lot

I have over 1300 deaths in that thing which is more deaths then a lot of people have total drops

I don't know what the heck you were trying to do with it, but I have a pretty solid set of ratios on mine, and it is the 'Mech I've had longest contiguous ownership of. Nothing amazing, but it was one of my training wheels. Is still usually a hoot when I drop with it today.

#15 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 09 June 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

I don't know what the heck you were trying to do with it, but I have a pretty solid set of ratios on mine, and it is the 'Mech I've had longest contiguous ownership of. Nothing amazing, but it was one of my training wheels. Is still usually a hoot when I drop with it today.

I am so bringing back the machine gun troll build when new tech arrives. 6 heavy machine guns, and two LPL and the biggest LFE I can shove in. It's gonna be an Arrow on steroids.

Has anyone theory crafted a 4UAC5 yet using the LFE to free up enough tonnage? Just how slow would that be.

Some of my Jaggers and Tbolts and Phracts are going to be very different once that engine is available.

#16 jonfett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 355 posts
  • LocationSitting on a NaCl mountain in a place called Puglandia

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:35 AM

Roll the Jager DD with a STD engine and 2 AC/20's. It's tons of fun, and doesn't die any faster than other mechs in it's class.

#17 Vordhosbn11

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

View PostMole, on 09 June 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

This is not my favorite of my IS Mediums but you really seem to want something with a STD engine, so I'm going to give you my Hunchback. HBK-4P

And this is my favorite IS Heavy and it fits your not really wanting an XL requirment quite nicely. It's even using the STD engine that it comes with stock so not only do you not have to buy a new XL engine, you don't have to buy a new engine at all. Please note the machine gun and AMS are completely optional and can be removed for additional heat sinks or jump jets if desired. I just have found AMS to have become something worth taking since the skill tree release and the MG is there because I am OCD about having unfilled weapons hardpoints. MAD-5M

These both look like really cool suggestions!

#18 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 09 June 2017 - 11:53 AM

View PostVordhosbn11, on 09 June 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

These both look like really cool suggestions!

I'm glad you like them. It seems as though I missposke about that Marauder variant coming with a STD 300 though. I could have swore it did but I just checked the stock loadout of that particular variant and it comes with a XL 300. It's the other variants that come with STD 300s. Sorry about that.

EDIT: If you really want to cut costs the cheaper MAD-3R can fit a very similar build that sacrifices one medium laser and jumpjets for greater heat efficiency and actually does come stock with a STD 300. I personally feel the 5M is the superior machine but either variant is really solid. I did Marauders back before the skill tree dropped and we had to level 3 variants of each chassis to master the one we liked, so both the 3R, the 5M and the 5D all saw extensive play by me. The two builds I have shown you is what I ran on the 3R and the 5M and I had very good results on it. The 5D though I just couldn't create anything that I liked that wasn't also prohibitively hot.

Edited by Mole, 09 June 2017 - 12:04 PM.

#19 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 09 June 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

I am so bringing back the machine gun troll build when new tech arrives. 6 heavy machine guns, and two LPL and the biggest LFE I can shove in. It's gonna be an Arrow on steroids.

Has anyone theory crafted a 4UAC5 yet using the LFE to free up enough tonnage? Just how slow would that be.

Some of my Jaggers and Tbolts and Phracts are going to be very different once that engine is available.

2x SN-PPC or 4x LPPC instead of 2x LPL, man.

Also, anything other than XL for 4x UAC/5 is simply not feasible. Troll-like, yes.

Even with XL, still troll.

#20 Vordhosbn11

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 09 June 2017 - 11:21 AM, said:

That's going to be one of the biggest changes IMHO, if not THE biggest - I personally cannot wait for that to happen, the ST XL-engine death is such an encumbrance for an IS pilot and the STD weight prevents some pretty cool builds from happening

Edited by Vordhosbn11, 09 June 2017 - 01:13 PM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users