• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:21 AM

View PostNebeIparder, on 13 June 2017 - 08:20 AM, said:

Sorry but there is not matchmaking in place.

Im in Tier 4, still I get matched with or against Tier 1 players like that MoltenMetal youtube guy.

He's like tier 1 since forever, why would i ever be matched with him?

Hate to say it but there is absolutely no matchmaking in place.

During times of relatively low server population Tier 4 will meet Tier 1 in the solo queue. The match maker still balances teams by Tier.

You are being teamed with players of varying Tiers against a team that is also of varying Tiers. Just because you don't understand the matchmaking does not mean it fails to exist. I played the game when there was no matchmaking, back in early open beta. You could easily end up in matches with badly stacked teams, one team of nothing but veteran players in their best mechs, the other a bunch of newer players, half with single heat sinks, under tonnage, and no clue how their weapons work.

#42 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:24 AM

View PostGwei Loong, on 13 June 2017 - 06:32 AM, said:

Egalitarian matchmakers like the one used by Blizzard maintains high player populations. From my understanding it basically works like this: When you have 12 people on a team, and I don’t know the exact numbers here; you should have an average w/l ratio of 12.

You will be surprised, but: 1) This is the way, matchmaker actually works now 2) It shouldn't work this way, cuz skill isn't linear, i.e. matchmaking isn't as simple, as 2 + 2 = 4 3) The only pro of such matchmaker - shorter queue times 4) Result of using such matchmaker - much worse quality of matches both for players with low and high skills.

I'm still in Tier 3. And impact of such matchmaker on my gaming experience - constant stomps and one-shots. And I don't think, that such matches can be enjoyable for skilled players. Just because when such rare thing happens for me, as match against lower Tiers - in most cases enemy team collapses so quickly, that I can't even deal any damage.

Better matchmaker - matchmaker, that takes personal skill into account, not only W/L, that is very team-dependent and is affected by quality matchmaking itself (i.e. dead loop - bad matchmaking => biased W/L => even worse matchmaking).

#43 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:22 AM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 13 June 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

Why are you so tied to K:D as the defining matchmaking metric? K:D rewards builds and playstyles that are good at securing kills, not at securing wins. The objective of the game is to win, not just kill. K:D would unfairly punish any build that isn't "big pinpoint alpha" because those are the kinds of builds that secure kills.

Going back to this: K/D wouldn't really punish builds that aren't big pinpoint alpha, it would kind of reward them, as that would mean you get grouped with better players (assuming for a moment that those players got a good K/D by actually being good players) and thus have easier matches.

#44 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:40 AM

View PostGwahlur, on 15 June 2017 - 05:22 AM, said:

Going back to this: K/D wouldn't really punish builds that aren't big pinpoint alpha, it would kind of reward them, as that would mean you get grouped with better players (assuming for a moment that those players got a good K/D by actually being good players) and thus have easier matches.

Basing ranking on K/D rewards people that hide shut down and then power up at the end of the match to vulture-kill weakened opponents.

#45 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:58 AM

View PostEscef, on 14 June 2017 - 12:21 AM, said:

During times of relatively low server population Tier 4 will meet Tier 1 in the solo queue. The match maker still balances teams by Tier.

You are being teamed with players of varying Tiers against a team that is also of varying Tiers. Just because you don't understand the matchmaking does not mean it fails to exist. I played the game when there was no matchmaking, back in early open beta. You could easily end up in matches with badly stacked teams, one team of nothing but veteran players in their best mechs, the other a bunch of newer players, half with single heat sinks, under tonnage, and no clue how their weapons work.

That's pretty much all of the time, though. The game population in general isn't high enough to keep the tiers filled out with enough players to prevent tier 5s from being matched up with tier 1s. Not to mention it's been proven numerous times that PSR means nothing. Play long enough you'll advanced eventually.

#46 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:08 AM

View PostEscef, on 15 June 2017 - 06:40 AM, said:

Basing ranking on K/D rewards people that hide shut down and then power up at the end of the match to vulture-kill weakened opponents.

I'm not talking about basing ranking on K/D, I'm talking about basing the matchmaker on K/D, which would punish people who are doing that, not reward them.

#47 Rhaezor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPT

Posted 15 June 2017 - 01:51 PM

I dont know about stats or graphs but I have my experience. I swear pgi has a system in place so that we start with a mad lose streak. We are just put with people that can't play or came from cs:go and will die in the first 30 seconds. Then after a while of these frustrating games we start getting good players. I dont like it, I assume there's just a lack of players for a better system but... hell

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users