Fw - Haven't Played It In 2 Years, Still Stinks

25 replies to this topic

#1 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:25 PM

So, today is "win 2 games in Invasion with a passable score and get some MC day." OK, so I played a few games of FW. I haven't touched it in 2+ years, and now I remember why. It still sucks.

- PPFLD and laser vomit is about the only viable build. Brawling is questionable to worthless, LRM's are worthless (no shock), so expect the same mechs repeated over and over again.

- Map designs are still awful. Too many places to get snagged, pits that can only be exited on one side, etc. Also, the firing lanes that you blunder down to be massacred are just stupid.

- Game modes are still stupid. Defending was tolerable, but attacking was just futile. By the time the stupid gates opened, the enemy team was happily placed on the hill, drilling long-range holes in every mech that walked through into the kill zone. Again, who thought this was fun?

- Game mode performance is still shoddy. FPS was lower in those game modes than in QP, and bugs abounded. Lost a team mate to hanging on the drop screen when he respawned, and spectated on another team mate who fell through the map floor to float around in space for a while, with the map visible in the distance, until somebody mercifully killed him. That was just in 2 games... how can this mode still be this unstable?

- Games are nothing but slow motion rolls. Just because you have 48 mechs per side doesn't mean anything changes. I watched the score both matches, and if you divided the kills by 4, you'd get a typical Quick Play game at any time. So, the outcome isn't any different when you start falling behind, but it just takes longer to play out, which reduces what little fun remains even further.

- Poor teams get you killed even quicker than in QP: 2nd game we were on the attack, and my team of PUG's opened one gate, ran through, and died. OK... they then decided to start working on the other gate... until half of them went back to the first gate. The other half stayed at the 2nd gate, halfheartedly working on it, until they got bored, made bad trades and then wondered off to the first gate. By that time, the other half of the respawned team had died.

All of this without even getting to be seal-clubbed by a 12-man! And is it any wonder nobody plays FP anymore?

#2 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 16 June 2017 - 12:25 PM, said:

So, today is "win 2 games in Invasion with a passable score and get some MC day." OK, so I played a few games of FW. I haven't touched it in 2+ years, and now I remember why. It still sucks.

- PPFLD and laser vomit is about the only viable build. Brawling is questionable to worthless, LRM's are worthless (no shock), so expect the same mechs repeated over and over again.

- Map designs are still awful. Too many places to get snagged, pits that can only be exited on one side, etc. Also, the firing lanes that you blunder down to be massacred are just stupid.

- Game modes are still stupid. Defending was tolerable, but attacking was just futile. By the time the stupid gates opened, the enemy team was happily placed on the hill, drilling long-range holes in every mech that walked through into the kill zone. Again, who thought this was fun?

- Game mode performance is still shoddy. FPS was lower in those game modes than in QP, and bugs abounded. Lost a team mate to hanging on the drop screen when he respawned, and spectated on another team mate who fell through the map floor to float around in space for a while, with the map visible in the distance, until somebody mercifully killed him. That was just in 2 games... how can this mode still be this unstable?

- Games are nothing but slow motion rolls. Just because you have 48 mechs per side doesn't mean anything changes. I watched the score both matches, and if you divided the kills by 4, you'd get a typical Quick Play game at any time. So, the outcome isn't any different when you start falling behind, but it just takes longer to play out, which reduces what little fun remains even further.

- Poor teams get you killed even quicker than in QP: 2nd game we were on the attack, and my team of PUG's opened one gate, ran through, and died. OK... they then decided to start working on the other gate... until half of them went back to the first gate. The other half stayed at the 2nd gate, halfheartedly working on it, until they got bored, made bad trades and then wondered off to the first gate. By that time, the other half of the respawned team had died.

All of this without even getting to be seal-clubbed by a 12-man! And is it any wonder nobody plays FP anymore?

Groups play it. It's meant for groups.

#3 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

k

#4 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 June 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

Being in a group does not address:

- The cruddy map design

- The excessive number of bugs

- The lousy objectives and how the game mode heavily favors the defenders assuming groups of equal skill and builds

- The extremely limited number of viable builds

I never said it wasn't for groups - heck, I didn't even have to get smashed by a 12 man to find the game mode still an awful, flawed mess. Both games I played were PUG on PUG, or maybe with a few small groups mixed in; both were still boring messes on cruddy maps with lousy objective design and open-beta level bugs tossed in. FP still sucks.

Edited by oldradagast, 16 June 2017 - 12:41 PM.

#5 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:47 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 16 June 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

- The lousy objectives and how the game mode heavily favors the defenders assuming groups of equal skill and builds

Doesn't favor defenders at all.

In fact, it was made this way because attackers were favored back then.

See here:

This is what happens. In under 2 minutes, they killed the Omega Generator and won the game.

Blame PGI for not thinking about exploits as this.

#6 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:01 PM

<stuff>

Only a few players are worthy of playing 100% solo in Community Warfare.

Posted Image

#7 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

Looks like more stellar reading comprehension and try-hard nonsense going on here. Nobody has addressed any of the game design points, the bugs, the sloppy, snare-ridden maps, etc. Instead, it' just chest-beating about who is "worthy of playing solo in CW" Posted Image

I'll repeat it again for those who missed it the first few times - the game mode is still buggy, poorly designed junk even in PUG vs. PUG, which is what I played.

Anyway, we now return to our previously scheduled chest-beating about who is "worthy" to be in FP... and the queues will empty out again after this event, and people will wonder why? Idiocy. Posted Image

Edited by oldradagast, 16 June 2017 - 01:06 PM.

#8 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

I agree with everything you said except for this bit about builds. Brawling is actually too strong. You just have to be in a group to be able to do it at all (same goes for group queue, though, it's not just CW.)

#9 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:44 PM

View PostTarogato, on 16 June 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

I agree with everything you said except for this bit about builds. Brawling is actually too strong. You just have to be in a group to be able to do it at all (same goes for group queue, though, it's not just CW.)

Yep, solo queue brawling got hit in the sack recently. Dunno about GP as all six of my paying teammates are checking out other games since the recent changes.

Sorry to say older, but you are wasting your time posting. It's quite obvious who they listen to. You know, the ones who are over playing on another product after pushing for and praising the most recent changes as making the game "so much better to play".

#10 ShadowFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

Yep, FW could be better. Whoever was the idiot who designed those choke-point maps did not have a clue. PGI's map design team has been and probably still is their weakest link. But I have to admit, they are getting slowly better. I will say their art team is great. Some of their maps are downright beautiful!

#11 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:00 PM

You can brawl in FP, just like you can brawl in solo queue. They both suffer the same problems, which is basically you need enough people dedicated to brawl to make it work. I mean, KCom, one the most successful FP units, almost always brawls (they can play other ways too, but 90% of the time you'll see W key Win key)

Edited by Vxheous Kerensky, 16 June 2017 - 02:01 PM.

#12 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

Brawl pushes in FW are nearly unstoppable unless there's a similarly outfitted team on the other side. Of course you can't do it solo--very few solo QP tactics work in FW. Get an entire team into SPL Linebackers or MPL Black Knights and you will see lopsided stomps every time.

#13 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 02:29 PM

It's been a raging garbage fire for years.

#14 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 16 June 2017 - 12:40 PM, said:

Being in a group does not address:

- The cruddy map design

- The excessive number of bugs

- The extremely limited number of viable builds

I never said it wasn't for groups - heck, I didn't even have to get smashed by a 12 man to find the game mode still an awful, flawed mess. Both games I played were PUG on PUG, or maybe with a few small groups mixed in; both were still boring messes on cruddy maps with lousy objective design and open-beta level bugs tossed in. FP still sucks.

Yes, but I was referring to his comment that nobody plays it anymore. People still play it in all it's "glory."

#15 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:00 PM

Oldie ... you should put your novel ideas on Russ' Twitter feed. I'm pretty sure he should know about this groundbreaking research you have done.

#16 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:07 PM

lol

on with the show

#17 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:23 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 16 June 2017 - 12:47 PM, said:

Doesn't favor defenders at all.

In fact, it was made this way because attackers were favored back then.

See here:

This is what happens. In under 2 minutes, they killed the Omega Generator and won the game.

Blame PGI for not thinking about exploits as this.

So because of 1 stupid cheese tactic that means the attackers were (and still are...?) favored over defenders despite the massive advantage that defenders have with a huge fortress impeding the attackers who have to rush into a killzone to get anything done?

That's like saying Inner Sphere was totally fine a while back until the TDR-9S got its (absolutely absurd) quirks nerfed into the ground.

What about when you don't cheese the game like that? Is everything fine because attackers can win sometimes with a single strategy that's as lame as possible?

Even if you don't zerg rush the generators with light mechs the strategy for attackers is still always the same "group up and rush" garbage because the maps & objectives are so piss poorly designed, so you actually see a lot less variety in strategy & builds than you regularly get in quick play, which is really saying a lot.

The mode is a travesty and a slap in the face to anybody who believed PGI's lies about delivering something remotely decent with community warfare.

Edited by Pjwned, 16 June 2017 - 05:24 PM.

#18 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:30 PM

View Postoldradagast, on 16 June 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

Looks like more stellar reading comprehension and try-hard nonsense going on here. Nobody has addressed any of the game design points, the bugs, the sloppy, snare-ridden maps, etc. Instead, it' just chest-beating about who is "worthy of playing solo in CW" Posted Image

I'll repeat it again for those who missed it the first few times - the game mode is still buggy, poorly designed junk even in PUG vs. PUG, which is what I played.

Anyway, we now return to our previously scheduled chest-beating about who is "worthy" to be in FP... and the queues will empty out again after this event, and people will wonder why? Idiocy. Posted Image

Based on your posting history on the matter, you're really just complaining about being stomped while insisting on dropping solo. Everything else is just an excuse.

As such, that's the premise I am working on.

Edited by Mystere, 16 June 2017 - 05:31 PM.

#19 Tincan Nightmare

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:33 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 16 June 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

The only problem with this statement, that is pretty much the go to answer for any issue someone brings up with FW, is then why are pugs allowed to drop in FW at all? If this mode is designed for groups, then it should be groups solely and pugs shouldn't be able to get in. The problem with that, is that there aren't enough groups to support the mode by themselves, resulting in the need for pugs as filler to make up a team. Then when they complain about the mode, it's 'join a group', and the pug player goes back to QP. I mean it's pretty sad that save for events like this that draws in pugs for the rewards (who then promptly leave when the event is over, like me Posted Image ) it's usually a ghost town of long wait times (at least from what people post here on the forum, don't have any idea my self, since once the event is done I'm back in QP too).

If this is 'end game' content, and designed for groups, but can't be supported solely by the group population, isn't that then a big waste of time and resources for PGI?

#20 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:36 PM

View PostTincan Nightmare, on 16 June 2017 - 05:33 PM, said:

The only problem with this statement, that is pretty much the go to answer for any issue someone brings up with FW, is then why are pugs allowed to drop in FW at all? If this mode is designed for groups, then it should be groups solely and pugs shouldn't be able to get in.

PUGs able and willing -- or those crazy enough Posted Image -- should be allowed in. That is why I have also been asking that solos be allowed into group QP.

View PostTincan Nightmare, on 16 June 2017 - 05:33 PM, said:

If this is 'end game' content, and designed for groups, but can't be supported solely by the group population, isn't that then a big waste of time and resources for PGI?

The waste is that it is just another arena game mode, but with respawns. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 16 June 2017 - 05:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users