Who do you see as our biggest rival?

37 replies to this topic

Poll: Who do you see as our biggest rival? (129 member(s) have cast votes)

Which other organization do you see as House Marik's biggest rival?

1. House Davion (38 votes [22.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.75%

2. House Kurita (15 votes [8.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.98%

3. House Liao (32 votes [19.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.16%

4. House Steiner (74 votes [44.31%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.31%

5. Free Rasalhague Republic (8 votes [4.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 bloodline

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationHere.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Question and poll says it all.

I can remember in the MPBT days feeling such venom and fire towards Davion and Kurita. Organizing strikes, lurking around waiting for battles at Ishiyama Arena, seeing certain names pop on to hunt them down and leave them in pieces on the battlefield!

What do you think this game will hold for the Free Worlds League? Who will be our biggest rival, the organization that we look at and feel the bile in our throats, polishing PPC's and our House Marik emblems to go strike them in the heart???

#2 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:19 PM

ME

#3 The Outlaw Kazzen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:23 PM

View PostBrenden, on 22 July 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

ME

This guy seems legit.

#4 The Justicar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 197 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

Steiner. They're my favorite target, isn't that just about the same thing?

#5 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostThe Outlaw Kazzen, on 22 July 2012 - 12:23 PM, said:

This guy seems legit.

Posted Image

#6 Graives

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 150 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:30 PM

Don't be worried so much about the Houses. Be worried about the Mercs they hire. :P

#7 The Outlaw Kazzen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:45 PM

View PostBrenden, on 22 July 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

Posted Image

I'd trust him to invade House Marik AND get my daughter home by 9. He's totally a standup guy.

#8 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:52 PM

View PostThe Outlaw Kazzen, on 22 July 2012 - 12:45 PM, said:

I'd trust him to invade House Marik AND get my daughter home by 9. He's totally a standup guy.

Invade, yes.
Both places? Definantly.
Home by 9? You bet.
My car? That. ~points to the awesome Shadow Hawk~

#9 Seabear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

Within the timeframe of the game, Steiner and their allies, Davion, will be our biggest foe. It irks me that the Capellans are now our allies as, traditionally they have been the one group against whom we have held the greatest hostility. I do not doubt that the Capellans will give some moments of combat since they cannot help but make trouble for those around them. Right now they are fixated on the Fedcom, having lost so much to them. Maybe they will behave toward us for a while. I doubt it though. The FRR and Kurita will not be a problem for us due to distance.

Edited by Seabear, 23 July 2012 - 07:38 AM.

#10 Brenden

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

View PostSeabear, on 22 July 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

Withion the rtimeframe of the game, Steiner and their allies, Davion, will be our biggest foe. It irks me that the capellans are now our allies as, traditionally they have been the one group against whom we have held the greatest hostility. I do not doubt that the Capellans will gives some moments of combat since they cannot help but make trouble for those around them. Right now they are fixated on the Fedcom, having lost so much to them. Maybe they will behave toward us for a while. I doubt it though. The FRR and Kurita will not be a problem for us due to distance.

What about the FRL?

#11 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

In the Free Worlds, the Lyran Commonwealth is (and nearly always has been) the enemy. The Capellan-Free Worlds rivalry, which is older by nearly half a century, does not seem to excite as much ardor as the Lyran one does. The average Free Worlder's perception of the Concord of Kapteyn is that it is a temporary truce signed in order to obtain the alliance of the Draconis Combine. By comparison, the thought of peace (much less alliance) with the Lyrans is repugnant beyond description. As the old Oriente saying goes, "Never turn your back on a Capellan, but shoot a Lyran on sight."

From the House Marik: The Free Worlds League Battletech book produced by FASA. So there you have it, folks - lore-wise, Steiner is our most loathed enemy. The book also describes relations with the rest of the factions as well. It gives the following run-down, more or less:

Steiner - mortal foe
Liao - despised, but in the current timeframe a necessary ally
Davion - liked, but in the current timeframe a necessary opponent due to their alliance with Steiner
Kurita - neutral, but in the current timeframe a necessary ally

Edited by Bloodweaver, 22 July 2012 - 08:54 PM.

#12 Aeneas

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 19 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

It will be Steiner.

House Liao is not strong enough to defend against both us and Davion, so they will try to keep us nice and happy. Especially if they know what is good for their continued existence.

Other than that, Steiner is really the only house that has a border with FWL. They are arrogant, aggressive, self-entitled faux-warriors that will veiw all the land around them with an eye for conquest, especially ours. They will see Marik as the biggest threat, frankly, because we are. The RasRep.(the only other border with steiner) tries, but they are Kurita's leftovers. If the snakes didn't even want them what good can they be.

Davion will not be a problem because they have to go through Liao, and the Dracs are briething down their necks. they cannot mount a campaign that far from home. Kurita even less so, because they always have to go through two houses to get to us.

Steiner, definately Steiner.

Edited by Aeneas, 22 July 2012 - 09:04 PM.

#13 Lorash

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:32 PM

While any House could do a mad rush "down the middle" as it were, such an endeavor would be unsustainable. The only House that really has anything to gain in the long term would be, as noted above, are the Steiners.

Their constant "adventurism" just proves how bloodthirsty and malignant the whole Lyran system is at its core.

#14 BlakesBully

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:38 AM

Not a hard guess: Davion (as they are everyones biggest rival)
It won´t be a bad thing to hurt their criminal underbelly (=Steiner) or capture the Liaos (so Davion can´t get them :) )

#15 Seabear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 23 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

At this time , the Davions hold a large chunk of what used to be the Capellan Confederacy in the area known as the Terran corridor. I do not expect that border to be quiet for 2 reasons. First, those former Capellans are no longer bound by the treaty of alliance between the FWL and the CC, enabling them to strike at us as members of the Fedcom. The second reason is that the Lyrans will push the Davions to "open a second front" against us hoping to releive pressure on the traditional FWL/Lyran border, especialy since their "social generals" are so inept. Kurita needs us to counter the the enormous pressure of the Fedcom that surrounds them, save for the FRR. We will fight the Lyrans along the historical border; the Davions,along the coreward boundary that used to be the CC and will have to keep a wary eye on the rimward border of the CC. We are like the Marine general who responded to being told his force was surrounded, "Now we have the enemy just where we want him!"

#16 Ito Ogami

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:51 PM

Howdy,

Our greatest rivals?

Easy answer, ourselves.

#17 OldDirtyFox

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 109 posts
  • LocationOver ther >.>

Posted 23 July 2012 - 01:56 PM

My biggest rival will be my boss when we hit that busy time of the year when they like to make us work mandatory saturdays when I would rather be playing this lol

So look out floor manager when this game releases me and you are gona have a few words >.<.

#18 Evogenesis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

If we can stay united, we need not fear any House. The Lyrans will be taught to understand this.

#19 Azalie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 341 posts
  • LocationThe Warp

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:11 AM

The only thing keeping me from directing the forces I have under my control at the FWL is the fact that the CC is an even uglier eyesore on my holomaps.

Edited by Azalie, 31 July 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#20 Fenixrock

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

Azalie, didn't I frag you the other night after you legged one of our scouts? Oh, no, pardon me, it was actually Rot. I will make sure I cockpit you next time we meet on the field of battle. If you have any questions, you can ask them when my Atlas is standing on top of the smoldering wreck that was once your mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users