Flamer Stuck/heatsink Disappeared, Causing Overheat And Suicide

5 replies to this topic

#1 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

I was playing last night when the flamer got stuck and causing explosion, even though I wasn't shooting.

Here's the situation. I have 1 Flamer, set on toggle fire. When the match began, I shot the ground 3 to 4 times, each time for around 0.5 seconds, then started running to the map objective. Latency around 200-350ms. Soon I was getting overheat warning, forced shutdown, then the mech explode. I was not firing the flamer anymore. And even if I did, the shutdown would have stopped the firing and let me walk away with minimal damage.

I'm not sure if the game ignored my heatsinks, or if the flamer was still causing heat although I was no longer firing.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:40 AM

On Academy? As far as I know it runs offline.

Likely the flamer still causing heat. A similar bug exists with machine guns where you stop firing and everything else says you still are (this is an online bug, though, our friend was using machine guns and he stopped shooting, but they fired non-stop which caused a lot of team damage when he was looking around. We asked him to try firing again and this stopped the machine guns. His footage of the situation showed he was not firing, but me and three other people all saw that he was firing.)

#3 Simulacrum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 109 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:10 PM

There is something like a flamer suicide bug.
As far as I know this bug is known since 2015/2016.

#4 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:22 AM

Sounds like it's the same bug. Good to know something never got fixed :P

#5 Sereglach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,563 posts
  • LocationWherever things are burning.

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:51 PM

It is a bug. It came about with PGI's convoluted "Flamer Fix" at the time of "Flamergeddon" when some number adjustments -rather than a proper reengineering- caused the Flamer to break the game via a known exploit. This all went down in early 2016. Regardless, here's what happened to you:

Flamers don't have an actual cooldown, but they have a pseudo cooldown built into their firing mechanics to prevent an exploit in the exponential heat scaling they have.

When you "tap" the button too many times and/or too fast (can't recreate it consistently, myself), the game doesn't really register your release. Sure, you stop firing, but the game only half registers it. On the cooldown side (which is the side where the exponential heat scaling occurs) you never let go of the trigger. When that happens, the exponential heat scaling never stops, which means you endlessly build up heat faster and faster until . . . POP! You die.

The same can happen with Machine Guns because while they are a "stream fire" weapon, like the Flamer, they still have a pseudo cooldown of .1 second between each "shot". Again, when you tap it too much and/or too fast (again, can't recreate it consistently, myself) you can trigger an effect where you've technically stopped firing, but at the same time you haven't. In the MG's case, all that happens is you'll inevitably run your ammo dry while damaging anything in front of you in MG range, since they don't generate heat.

Sorry if I sound bitter, but these are things that PGI has been aware of for a LONG time; and part of it revolves around the terrible exponential scaling mechanic that I've been begging PGI to do away with for many years now. The fixes are actually ridiculously easy . . . PGI just hasn't done them.

#6 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:40 AM

Thanks to all for answering the question.

But this isn't an Academy issue, so cap it or move it elsewhere, thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users