My First Gauss Build

14 replies to this topic

#1 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWiarton, Canada

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:32 PM

OK, lords and ladies, in anticipation of the "Kapow" challenge coming up, I'm throwing a Gauss on my Hellbringer-Prime. I have fired approximately 4 shots from a Gauss cannon in my tiny career. I've got a mouse with a DPI drop for sniping, I put an AP on it for faster targeting data, and a Mk1 comp on it so far. I'm carrying 2 tons of Gauss ammo and I have 6.5 tons to finish the loadout.

I know the AP is a little dumb, I don't have the thing mastered, so I'm essentially building a "trial" build. I have 5 energy hardpoints left, and one more ballistic. No FF, No Endo.

How many Gauss rounds do you carry on a single Gauss build? Should I up the target comp? Should I just not do this, and modify my Timber prime to carry a Gauss?

Note: Please don't give me a Dual Gauss Urbie build or something totally crazy and more specialized than a set of artificial legs for an Aurumvorax. I just want to do it somewhat right when the nickel slugs start flying.

Thanks for your attention to my question.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

I wouldn't do this but since you are back it up with ER medium lasers. Tonnage will be your biggest boon Hellbringers are very limited in available tonnage.

The AP is fine and smart. A TC 2 instead is an okay alternative as well. Aim for weak spots. If you end up liking this go for some info gathering skill nodes to find weak points faster.

Good luck.

#3 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWiarton, Canada

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

Thanks Kon. What would you use a Gauss on? I have a mastered CN9-AH that I could tuck the Gauss onto, but it doesn't have the fancy clan stuff, nor ecm, which I feel enhances my survivability. I have a half *** tuned up Ebon Jag I could throw the Gauss back on, too. I suppose since one must get the achieve with either Clan or IS tech I should go with the Hellbringer and the Jag? I overthink these things.

Sometimes you guys have a piece of vital info that would never occur to a new guy, which is why I ask these questions.

#4 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:48 PM

I have both a Gauss Hellbringer and a Gauss Timber Wolf, both preform admirably. So has the trail Ebon Jag champ built (which is the same as my T-Wolf build, minus the jump jets) If you have a good feel for the Gauss Rifle, both mechs should work fine.

#5 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:06 PM

I only tried Gauss on Heavies/Assaults in arms only.
In STs, it gets hit and the explosion really hurts especially if using XL engine.
Recently had one in the arm of a Ghillie, gets hit, blows the arm and weakens the ST that is XL then that gets hit.
Skipping the Gauss challenge myself, only need one more for Oh Canada and Trigger Happy is so much eaiser plus I don't need the Kapow rewards.

#6 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:29 PM

You can put a Gauss rifle on any mech... I love it on my Raven! :)

#7 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

OK was having some fun with my previous post... Hellbringer works great with a Gauss rifle in the upper torso & w/ ECM... Its a fun sniper combo. Also a Summoner can work well with 1 Gauss rifle. So does a T-wolf. I usually take 3 tons of ammo per rifle otherwise you tend to run out before a match is over. Take more if its CW. I don't find targeting computers to be so great compared to the space and tonnage but I haven't used them since the last update on the TC stats....

But honestly, running dual gauss is fun, challenging, and rewarding so get a mech that can do that... Dual Gauss is more difficult to pilot than the typical meta-dakka build... but a lot of fun when you score the killshot at 1000m.

Edited by Gaussfather, 27 June 2017 - 08:35 PM.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:51 PM

View PostAureliusDean, on 27 June 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

Thanks Kon. What would you use a Gauss on? I have a mastered CN9-AH that I could tuck the Gauss onto, but it doesn't have the fancy clan stuff, nor ecm, which I feel enhances my survivability. I have a half *** tuned up Ebon Jag I could throw the Gauss back on, too. I suppose since one must get the achieve with either Clan or IS tech I should go with the Hellbringer and the Jag? I overthink these things.

Sometimes you guys have a piece of vital info that would never occur to a new guy, which is why I ask these questions.

A lot of things. However despite being 65 tons the actual free tonnage the Hellbringer has is enough tonnage for an lbx 20 and uac 20 with 1 ton of ammo each. Compare the IS 65 tonnes and despite the immense weight of gauss rifles for the i.s. you can fit 2 plus plenty of ammo plus backup weapons... Granted you won't be anywhere near as fast as a Hellbringer.

In general I try to avoid single gauss rifles in mwo. I have done a few and they do have some merit. So try it.

Personally I enjoy twin ppc twin gauss quad mg, or quad gauss. (Both are dire wolves). Jagermech twin gauss quad mg twin Tag.

Im gonna try a gauss Hellbringer. Arm or chest mounted gauss?

#9 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:24 PM

The chest hardpoint is higher so it's easier to get hits. Just make sure to torso twist and shield with your other side. You also want to invest in Structure and Case in the Skill Tree.

#10 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:53 PM

I offer The Gauss-Bringer

I've taken that very build into a brawl with a unit member using a more conventional single gauss and medium laser build, and the consensus was, I'd've won if I was a decent shot. Surprised 'em when that first dual gauss round smashed into the CT, I just kept getting different components, cuz my teammate twisted like his mech depended on it. Dual gauss is vicious. In this mech, your gauss is your armour, remember that. If it looks at you, make it pay. The Loki tends to get focus fired on that tasty left torso three energy hardpoint side, which on this build, is your dead side, so there's that too.

The point of this build, for me, is there is no backup weaponry. You learn to gauss, or you die early. For a starter, especially one who wants to keep track of their gauss specific damage, I'd suggest this mech. Every point of damage a match'll be gauss damage.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 27 June 2017 - 10:54 PM.

#11 Kaethir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 236 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY, USA

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:08 AM

I'm going to be bringing my quad-gauss kdk3. fun times.

To answer your question more directly, 3 tons is usually a good spot for a single rifle, although you can skimp to 2 if you need the tonnage. Almost everything I've run with gauss (WHM, KDK, DWF) I run 2 rifles and an absolute minimum of 4 tons of ammo. The quad-gauss kdk3 I run 6 tons.

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

View PostAureliusDean, on 27 June 2017 - 03:32 PM, said:

How many Gauss rounds do you carry on a single Gauss build?

for a single Gauss I would not take less than 3 tons of ammo, and usualy 4 or 5.

#13 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

HBR-A
Can't go wrong with a Gauss and medium laser battery. One of my favorites. 3 tons is sufficient for a single gauss, 5 for a pair.

Edited by Roughneck45, 28 June 2017 - 12:30 PM.

#14 AlexWildeagle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 549 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:07 PM

OK. Using the gauss for the first time in a while. The sun spider I just started using has it in the right torso and then has 2 tons ammo in different places in the mech. I added a 3rd ton. Get into my first fight 3 rounds in, click, click, click.....gauss doesn't fire, just click sound when I pull trigger. Tried dropping the extra ton and still just get clicking sound. Even before the fight starts all I get is a click when gauss is fired?

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 01:41 PM

View PostAlexWildeagle, on 15 April 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

OK. Using the gauss for the first time in a while. The sun spider I just started using has it in the right torso and then has 2 tons ammo in different places in the mech. I added a 3rd ton. Get into my first fight 3 rounds in, click, click, click.....gauss doesn't fire, just click sound when I pull trigger. Tried dropping the extra ton and still just get clicking sound. Even before the fight starts all I get is a click when gauss is fired?

Hold button. Wait for bar to fill (there's one by "Gauss" the word and one by target reticle).
Once full, let go of button.

Looks like this.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users