Suggestion: Hard Limit On Rocket Launchers To 3.

65 replies to this topic

#1 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:16 PM

Requesting that Rocket Launchers be limited to 3 launchers per mech, as more can kill any mech from the back or front most of the time.

#2 FireStoat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:48 PM

B33f and other experienced players are correctly predicting that rocket launchers will drastically skew Scouting Mode faction warfare in the favor of Inner Sphere, hardcore. Even with 3 total racks on a mech, people will be deleting enemy mediums in one go and have remaining tonnage for backup brawling weapons. I think the whole idea of their inclusion in the game is a mistake.

#3 Agent1190

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 469 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:49 PM

I'll have t play with them more - I loaded up to RL20's on a Lolcust and took it to the Awesome's back in testing grounds. Firing the left then the right into it's back barely scratched it.

#4 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,766 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:55 PM

View PostFireStoat, on 29 June 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

B33f and other experienced players are correctly predicting that rocket launchers will drastically skew Scouting Mode faction warfare in the favor of Inner Sphere, hardcore. Even with 3 total racks on a mech, people will be deleting enemy mediums in one go and have remaining tonnage for backup brawling weapons. I think the whole idea of their inclusion in the game is a mistake.

That's their gimmick, there is NO other reason to take a one-shot weapon other than to delete something in one massive salvo.

#5 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

View PostFireStoat, on 29 June 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

Unless you give someone your back you don't get killed by 3 racks. They are not pinpoint alpha. I wonder how many of you have even used these?

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 29 June 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

That's their gimmick, there is NO other reason to take a one-shot weapon other than to delete something in one massive salvo.

I was running my Archer with. 4X20 and mrms. I didn't "delete" anyone when we did 1v1.

#6 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,766 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:05 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 29 June 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

I was running my Archer with. 4X20 and mrms. I didn't "delete" anyone when we did 1v1.

1v1s aren't really a suitable scenario are they? That said you could've gone what, 8 20s and 1 15 for something like a 306 point alpha? I don't really know the missile rack counts on the Archer, nor do I care. Any one-shot launcher is going to either be useless, or gimmicky. They don't really serve any other niche.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 29 June 2017 - 01:06 PM.

#7 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:13 PM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 29 June 2017 - 01:05 PM, said:

1v1s aren't really a suitable scenario are they? That said you could've gone what, 8 20s and 1 15 for something like a 306 point alpha? I don't really know the missile rack counts on the Archer, nor do I care. Any one-shot launcher is going to either be useless, or gimmicky. They don't really serve any other niche.

8-20 so I could maybe kill 1 mech. It's not even 100%. If you hit the side, get a bad shot off you get nothing. Personally I look for at least 3 kills a game.

They serve just fine . I have tons of mechs I will put a launcher on because I normally don't use them other than 4+ counts for srm.

#8 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

Rocket launchers should have ghost heat. That way after a rocket launcher boat 1 shots a mech they will not be able to continue firing due to shutting down. This will deter the problem.

At least that diamond graph in the mechlab has a purpose now. Rocket launchers can actually show you that you have proper amounts of firepower. I always wondered what had 250 firepower besides a derp LRM 20 stalker and now I can tell PGI was thinking years ahead. :D

#9 MechWarrior414712

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:27 PM

View PostAgent1190, on 29 June 2017 - 12:49 PM, said:

I'll have t play with them more - I loaded up to RL20's on a Lolcust and took it to the Awesome's back in testing grounds. Firing the left then the right into it's back barely scratched it.

That's because of a bug. Locusts have 6 tubes per missile max I think, which means your RL20 shoots only 6 missiles. You tried 4 RL20 on a locust, go try it on an archer for example which doesnt have tube limits. You'll see the difference!

#10 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,766 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:30 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 29 June 2017 - 01:13 PM, said:

Personally I look for at least 3 kills a game.

Then taking any of them is pointless since you are looking for sustained damage to actually contribute. RLs do 26.25 damage per ton, which is absolutely horrendous efficiency.

#11 Cy Mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

And once again, a B33f video causes panic in the streets!

#12 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

View PostRampage, on 29 June 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

And once again, a B33f video causes panic in the streets!

what? I never saw a b33f video ever about this. New news to me.

#13 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:17 PM

They are and will be a troll weapon. A suicide mutual destruction weapon; you kill one or two enemies and in return are made functionally useless. That's the only real purpose they serve.

That's a terrible, terrible, horrible, terrible game design concept for a MOBA.

Just remove them completely. The whole concept doesn't work for MWO. As a 'one shot backup' weapon they're even bad because there's no way to ensure that's how they're used (and it's a stupid concept anyway for a 12 v 12 or 4 v 4 team based MOBA).

Get rid of them completely. There's no way it's going to turn out well. It's a tool for trolling the other team and yours, that's it. That's their only purpose. One-shot one or two guys, who obviously didn't have fun that match and then.... you're worthless to your own team, who's obviously not going to be happy with you. You get to suicide bomb one or two people and then go die and quit the match. That's what these are for, that's what they'll be used for, that's what you'll see happening all the time. For the love of god this idea is so bad it hurts my faith in PGI as a game designer. Why not just introduce a 'detonate engine' button to let a player suicide and take out nearby mechs.

#14 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:20 PM

Ok, for you knuckleheads who think that this is going to be an issue, look at the before and after. This is one alpha:

Posted ImagePosted Image

This was against a stationary target with two SNPPC firing as well. Rockets will not break the game.

#15 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

Did your mech have tube limits?

Because I just played in a match with an Archer who one-shot killed 3 mechs, back to back to back, with just rockets.

#16 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

View PostCato Zilks, on 29 June 2017 - 02:20 PM, said:

Ok, for you knuckleheads who think that this is going to be an issue, look at the before and after. This is one alpha:

Posted ImagePosted Image

This was against a stationary target with two SNPPC firing as well. Rockets will not break the game.

Try it on the rear. My rear armor is usually 10 to 2, Assault to Light.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 29 June 2017 - 02:26 PM.

#17 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:30 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 29 June 2017 - 01:02 PM, said:

Unless you give someone your back you don't get killed by 3 racks. They are not pinpoint alpha. I wonder how many of you have even used these?

Okay, fine. You caught me. I hadn't actually used them yet - I was going off of B33f's livestream that I was watching.
So, I hopped into the PTS just now to see for myself what was up. On Canyon Network there's a Centurion very close to your spawn point. He's a 50 ton IS mech that's pretty durable, and my concern was with Scouting mode so... he's a perfect test subject.

I walked onto the nearby railroad track bridge to get at a comfortable 100 meters for my shooting. Bushwacker pilots in Scouting can get into this position all day long. The first two racks fired dead center at range 100 are shown in the second image, and the 3rd rack used on its own finished the mech, barely. I think I got lucky with an ammo explosion - I did NOT expect the third rack to take it out. Either way, without luck, a 4th rack would have done it for certain OR the casual use of my energy weapons.
If the weapons are to remain in the game without change, then Clan better be able to get ahold of them. If not, kiss Scouting mode goodbye.

https://imgur.com/a/OJRz0

#18 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

Ahem. I like panic.
First, the Scouting has weight limit. In that limit on the IS side there are multiple mechs with 4 missile hardpoints. But only 2 Kintaros with 5 ballistic hardpoints, 1 Bushwacker and 1 Javelin with 6 missile hardponits. Second, Javelin and Bushwacker have tube count limitations (can be translated to the limitations on RLs, sounds goods). Kitaros are also partially limited. So why the panic? Third, does the patchnotes state that only short range weapons are allowed into Scouting?
Don't you think that cHMGs will skew balance even worse now that those Novas can get a way better punch up close?

Edited by pyrocomp, 29 June 2017 - 02:34 PM.

#19 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:38 PM

View Postpyrocomp, on 29 June 2017 - 02:34 PM, said:

Ahem. I like panic.

Your post of theorycrafting isn't helping anyone. Check out my example above, and then go into the PTS for yourself to see what's up. For what it's worth, my test mech was the Loyalty Blackjack that was collecting dust in my bay.

Edit - and if you're not brawling in Scouting mode, you're doing it wrong.

Edited by FireStoat, 29 June 2017 - 02:38 PM.

#20 pyrocomp

• Philanthropist
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

View PostFireStoat, on 29 June 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

Your post of theorycrafting isn't helping anyone. Check out my example above, and then go into the PTS for yourself to see what's up. For what it's worth, my test mech was the Loyalty Blackjack that was collecting dust in my bay.

Edit - and if you're not brawling in Scouting mode, you're doing it wrong.

Which is what it is about. Some more mechs will see use and maybe some more aproaches to Scouting. Before massive tests the statement that RLs are ruining Scouting are premature. If the IS side will go mass RLs the clan side will go mass cERLLs. RLs have their limitations.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users