Rocket Launcher: Inevitable Troll Meta

19 replies to this topic

Poll: Rocket Launcher (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Rocket Launchers be removed from the game?

1. Yes (14 votes [31.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.82%

2. No (30 votes [68.18%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.18%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 YourSaviorLegion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSpace The Final Frontier

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:46 AM

Personally I think RLs will be used as a troll weapon, the one and done aspect of the weapon is just going to be abused. Once a RL boat fires they'll be useless for the rest of the game and be negatively impacting their team.

Edited by YourSaviorLegion, 29 June 2017 - 09:47 AM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:48 AM

I tried to warn everyone that Rocket Launchers would be too hard to balance without making them useless or leading to toxic suicide-bomber gameplay. Not enough people listened.

#3 Dracking

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:52 AM

the thing about the rocket launchers is that I for example have a lot of mechs with open missile hardpoints because I have no space for a missile weapon and ammo, BUT with the rocket launchers I have a choice that makes that hardpoint useful, sure some stupid people will fill their mechs with it and be useless after the first shot, but the reasoning for it, at least I think makes it worthwhile in the game.

#4 AbradolfLincler

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:55 AM

Rocket launchers have their place. I think they offer the possibility of last ditch weapons on some mechs or as something to dissuade brawls with a sniper. I was thinking of a Shadowhawk 2k with ppcs and 3 RLs that would ward off under running them without adding much weight.

However, I do think that pure RL builds need to be marked invalid the mechlab and I also think that people who only do RL damage in a match, need to get a timeout and a cbill deduction much like a TK might.

#5 Dick Shipley

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:58 AM

I was just insta-gibbed in a loyalty blackjack by another loyalty blackjack. One shot to front armor with rocket launcher 20(s?). afterward while viewing i noticed on teammates paper doll info that all 4 rocket 20's were in white (operational). At very least, one or more of those rocket launchers should have been displayed in red (destroyed/spent). They do seem too powerful to me as well, but maybe they can be tweaked. Minimum range added and destroyed status on paper doll once spent would be a good start

View PostFupDup, on 29 June 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

I tried to warn everyone that Rocket Launchers would be too hard to balance without making them useless or leading to toxic suicide-bomber gameplay. Not enough people listened.

#6 Ced Riggs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 825 posts
  • Locationunclear, mech stuck in bay.

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:06 AM

Tested 6 RL20 on a Bushwacker.
Centurion looked at me.

WOOSH.
KILLING BLOW.

What a hoot. I am sure the Centurion found it just as fun as I did.

#7 Haacknslay

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:02 AM

i see some use for the Rocket Launcher´s actually i tried it on my King Crab Build wich has 2xAC10 3xLL i putted in Light Engine and then added 3 RL 20´s as additional Burst. Sure it will be no fun on the receiving end when u suddenly die but on the other side they have much Spread so only if somebody is allrdy hugging your mech u will die. So when u paying Attention u should be able to spot whoever is crawling to your knee´s and kill it. It will make Seismic a lot more viable also i don´t know if someone could sneak in with stealth armor still need to test that out.

Edited by Haacknslay, 29 June 2017 - 11:03 AM.

#8 Nimnul

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 247 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:17 AM

I like any new weapons!

#9 LennStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

Just try the 175rocket archer.

You can even walk away after firing them all at the same time.

#10 naterist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 1,724 posts
  • Location7th circle of hell

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

ive used rocket launchers both as intended, and to alluhu ackbar some fools on hpg.ive considered it and came to the conclusion that a one time 90 point alpha is ok. i was useless after, and the spread helps it not be an garunteed instakill. honestly, laservomit alpha builds are more gamebreaking, since they can get almost as high of an alpha, but they can reshoot it indefinitely. 12 rocket boats v 12 rocket boats wont be fun, but i think they got the sweetspot between useful, and gamebreaking with these.

#11 corpse256

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 164 posts
  • LocationNebraska, USA

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

View PostLennStar, on 29 June 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

Just try the 175rocket archer.

You can even walk away after firing them all at the same time.

ya tried it out 8 20s and 1 15. 300+ damage in one shot is hilarious but at least you got one kill. I'm sure The B33f would have fun with that one.

#12 Mycroft000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Partisan
  • The Partisan
  • 511 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:14 PM

View Post**** Shipley, on 29 June 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

I was just insta-gibbed in a loyalty blackjack by another loyalty blackjack. One shot to front armor with rocket launcher 20(s?). afterward while viewing i noticed on teammates paper doll info that all 4 rocket 20's were in white (operational). At very least, one or more of those rocket launchers should have been displayed in red (destroyed/spent). They do seem too powerful to me as well, but maybe they can be tweaked. Minimum range added and destroyed status on paper doll once spent would be a good start

I see this as displaying information as intended. You can't tell when someone has run out of any other kind of ammo except by observation. I don't see why rocket launchers that have been fired should be any different. Now I could see an argument for having a visual change to the mech that shows empty tubes after they've been fired.

#13 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

I would like to see it changed so that when a rocket launchers has exhausted its ammo I would like the weapon to appear red in the enemy information. That way you know if its safe to approach or not. This would be a good balancing mechanic in my mind.

They may need additional adjustment.

Edited by Kaptain, 29 June 2017 - 02:52 PM.

#14 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

The new meta will be full load of Rocket launchers and back-up lasers. I had my mech's CT one-shotted by an alpha from an Archer, no different than the 6xPPC Stalker that gave us Ghost Heat.

#15 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:22 PM

Rockets are not OP, relax. See:
https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5806321

#16 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:23 PM

Removed? NO.

Reworked? ******* Yes!

#17 Kaptain

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,284 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:53 PM

View PostCato Zilks, on 29 June 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

Rockets are not OP, relax. See:
https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5806321

Does the Griffin 2n have 4x20tube hardpoints? Because if it doesn't that completely invalidates that test...

#18 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:19 PM

It can one-shot almost any heavy, but not an Atlas.

That doesn't invalidate it as a troll design.

A Javelin one-shotting most heavies, or a Bushie one-shotting two mediums and then running around with a LPL does. It also screws scouting.

It's not about it being OP, it's about the gameplay it creates. Suicide bomber gameplay is ****.

#19 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:22 PM

knew this was coming, suggested turning rls into missile machine guns with very limited ammo. insane dps for 2 seconds with insane ghost heat and a limit of 1. again, when trying to adhere to closely to the tt rules bites you in the buttocks.

low hanging fruit fix is to only allow 2 to fire at once, sort of like gauss rifles. but always with the low hanging fruit. why dont you ever want to do better?

Edited by LordNothing, 29 June 2017 - 03:24 PM.

#20 Dubinsky

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:33 PM

Archer 5w vaporizes Atlas like nothing. That means goodbye brawling, assaults etc. BUT. Most important thing - in faction warfare that means tryhards will gather full stack of archers and oneshot generators ignoring enemies. I've seen that done by srms,With RLs it would be 10x times easier. So, goodbye FW too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users