New Portal

10 replies to this topic

#1 radmin13

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

So, I downloaded the new portal as instructed. I've read that you don't need to reinstall the game. problem is when I try to run MWO from the new portal, it has to patch it. and its a 16g patch. Which seems more like its trying to reinstall the game. is this a thing? or did i mess something up on installing the portal?

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,747 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

I am going to hazard a guess that you may not have pointed the MWO installer to your current MWO directory....

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5798992

Basically, when the MWO installer ask where to install MWO, you point it to the directory RIGHT BEFORE Mechwarrior Online, which should be Piranha Games. From speaking with some others, their first MWO attempt directory looked like this:

c:\Games\Piranha Games\Mechwarrior Online\Mechwarrior Online

Uninstall MWO Portal and reinstall it, pointing it to the Piranha Game directory itself... Then when it asks to install MWO, point that installer to the same Piranha Game directory.

It will end up looking llike this \Piranha Games\MWO Portal and \Piranha Games\Mechwarrior Online

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 30 June 2017 - 09:00 PM.

#3 Michael Abt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 470 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:12 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 30 June 2017 - 08:52 PM, said:

I am going to hazard a guess that you may not have pointed the MWO installer to your current MWO directory....

Basically, when the MWO installer ask where to install MWO, you point it to the directory RIGHT BEFORE Mechwarrior Online, which should be Piranha Games. From speaking with some others, their first MWO attempt directory looked like this:

Uninstall MWO Portal and reinstall it, pointing it to the Piranha Game directory itself... Then when it asks to install MWO, point that installer to the same Piranha Game directory.

It will end up looking llike this \Piranha Games\MWO Portal and \Piranha Games\Mechwarrior Online

My problem is that i installed MWO at "d:\Mechwarrior Online". Since i am already at the root there is no dir right before that, hence the Portal always tries to install the full game again.

#4 radmin13

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 30 June 2017 - 08:52 PM, said:

I reinstalled it to that directory. still tries to apply a 16g patch

#5 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:24 PM

View Postradmin13, on 01 July 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

I reinstalled it to that directory. still tries to apply a 16g patch

Just for clarification, mine was an example. WHERE IS your mechwarrior online directory?

For the d: install, does the installer not allow you to just remove everything but d: ?

#6 Michael Abt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 470 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 01 July 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

Just for clarification, mine was an example. WHERE IS your mechwarrior online directory?

For the d: install, does the installer not allow you to just remove everything but d: ?

It does, but the result is still the same, it tries to download the entire 16GB.

#7 radmin13

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:08 AM

C/games/piranhagames. In that it says /Mechwarrioronline, /mwoupdate, /mwoptr, and /mwoportal

#8 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,747 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

View Postradmin13, on 02 July 2017 - 06:08 AM, said:

C/games/piranhagames. In that it says /Mechwarrioronline, /mwoupdate, /mwoptr, and /mwoportal

Just double checking that you do not have more than one MWO installed. You can check your WIndows Settings, Apps, and look for Mechwarrior Online and MWO Portal. Also what language is your system using? Asking because one user was having issues and PGI directory was not seeing his directory due to German Swiss, at least that is the way he put it.

Okay, on the standalone launchpad, run RepairTool, in the box it should show your MWO directory.

c:\Games\Piranha Games\Mechwarrior Online

Once that is finished, close it down and run MWO Portal, right click on MWO, run MWO repair tool. In the dialog box, is it showing the correct pathing to MWO? Run MWO Portal repair tool now.

c:\Games\Piranha Games\Mechwarrior Online

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 02 July 2017 - 10:55 AM.

#9 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:33 PM

The Portal is still seriously bugged when it comes to patching and validating patch.. It either freezes for me completely, or its patching at a snail's pace, while the launcher does the job in minutes, flawlessly..

PGI please fix the patcher before you remove the launcher..

#10 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 03:29 AM

View PostMichael Abt, on 01 July 2017 - 05:25 PM, said:

It does, but the result is still the same, it tries to download the entire 16GB.

Yes, but, does it read patch? Or does read install? There should be no 16 GB patch. If it reads install, it means it doesn't see the MWO being installed.

And for that, this will hopefully help.
https://mwomercs.com...installed-game/

#11 Michael Abt

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 470 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:34 AM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 03 July 2017 - 03:29 AM, said:

Yes, but, does it read patch? Or does read install? There should be no 16 GB patch. If it reads install, it means it doesn't see the MWO being installed.

And for that, this will hopefully help.
https://mwomercs.com...installed-game/

Thanks a lot, the other thread helped finding the error. Posted Image

When i checked the registry i went only through the MWO Portal keys and did not check the MWO ones. Apparently the MWO registry entry was pointing to the HD root, not to the installed dir, hence Portal tried to 'patch' the entire game since all files were 'missing'.

Edit: What The Portal dosen't fix is that the MWO 64bit version still refuses to load half of the time while the 32bit version has no issues. That bug was introduced several patches ago and was never fixed.

Edited by Michael Abt, 03 July 2017 - 09:37 AM.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users