#1 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:42 AM

As there is no MW5 forum.

how do you think the mech lab in MW5 should work?

1. as MWO
2. as MW4
3. As MW2+3
4. other

Just want to know peoples thought.

Also who knows if there is a strong consensus it might be early enough to be implemented.

and as a final thought. I think it likely we will see MWO be replaced with an online MW5, could be a migration a new MWO2 or anywhere in between. So would need to balance PvP not just PvE.

#2 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:45 AM

It will probably the one we allready have.

I'd like to see the original MWO-'Mechlab, though I would also be ok if MW5 would feature no 'Mechlab at all.

#3 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:48 AM

IIRC, Russ said there would be no mech customization in MW5, just different variants.

#4 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:50 AM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 13 July 2017 - 02:48 AM, said:

IIRC, Russ said there would be no mech customization in MW5, just different variants.

Disappointing. Also, I predict them trying to sell unique hero mechs, if we don't have freedom to customize our own.

#5 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:55 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 13 July 2017 - 02:50 AM, said:

Disappointing. Also, I predict them trying to sell unique hero mechs, if we don't have freedom to customize our own.

I can't find the original statement by Russ, but here's a quote from PC Gamer:

"Bullock explains that, while no final decision has been made, MechWarrior 5 is looking to focus more on a "variant-based free market system" that guides how mechs are outfitted. What this means is that, instead of open-ended customization, mechs will have a handful of variants for each chassis that they will conform to."

#6 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:01 AM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 13 July 2017 - 02:55 AM, said:

"Bullock explains that, while no final decision has been made, MechWarrior 5 is looking to focus more on a "variant-based free market system" that guides how mechs are outfitted. What this means is that, instead of open-ended customization, mechs will have a handful of variants for each chassis that they will conform to."

I am not sure what that means to be honest. Suggests a more restrictive mechlab not that there will be none at all. see next paragraph:

"While Bullock wasn't able to go too deep into detail, he did suggest that along with mech customization, players could expect to also have a degree of control over the mercenaries they hire, what they pilot, and how their lances are formed."

mech customization has always meant changing weapons and loadout.

Edited by Greyhart, 13 July 2017 - 03:02 AM.

#7 Nema Nabojiv

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:23 AM

It would be so much better the other way around - no customization in mwo.

#8 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:45 AM

View PostNema Nabojiv, on 13 July 2017 - 03:23 AM, said:

It would be so much better the other way around - no customization in mwo.

given the rest of the interview I don't think you can put that interpretation on it.

Clearly there is going to be Mech customisation (would it be a Mechwarrior game without it?).

I take it from the interview that the customisation will be more like MW4 with sized heard points.

Also yes MWO would've been easier to balance without the mechlab and stock builds only.

#9 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:53 AM

View PostGreyhart, on 13 July 2017 - 03:01 AM, said:

I actually hope for some more in-depth repair and rearm, to implement this feel of technological regress that was in place until the clan invasion, I really liked this concept. The teaser hinted we may have breaking and damaging of actuators, for example. You could, i.e. try repair the parts on your own, use scavanged parts for replacements, buy cheap used replacements, buy renovated old parts, buy unused parts etc... Would be cool to have actuators or myomers malfunctioning for no reason because you didn't have money for proper replacements and used cheap second-grade goods instead Posted Image Also, the price difference between bad cheapest gear and best brand new faultless quality gear could be astronomous, to tackle another usual problem sandbox games universally have - capable players accumulating tons of money they have no way of using up. With proper tweaking of price and wear and tear it could be even made impossible to actually field a lance of top notch assaults with perfect gear.

Also, different manufacturers of weapons and ammunition.

Also, accessibility of better parts and mechs barred until you have proper connection with faction X or Y.

Also, time to refit.

Also, skills of your engineer crew and their equipment.

We could have all those cool things in MW5 that can never work in MWO because pvp, npe, balance and the like.

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 13 July 2017 - 04:00 AM.

#10 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:15 AM

Wait, SERIOUSLY?!

WOW that's gonna S.U.C.K..

No mech customisation in a game where you run your own unit? That's like uber stupid.. I hope they change that, cose' it's like that NFS game, it think it was "Rivals" or something like that, that also didn't have car customization.. and it tanked big time..

Customisation is super-important! EVERY MW game ever had it.. PGI.. don't shoot yourself in the foot by not having mech customisation in MW5..

#11 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:04 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 13 July 2017 - 04:15 AM, said:

Wait, SERIOUSLY?!

WOW that's gonna S.U.C.K..

No mech customisation in a game where you run your own unit? That's like uber stupid.. I hope they change that, cose' it's like that NFS game, it think it was "Rivals" or something like that, that also didn't have car customization.. and it tanked big time..

Customisation is super-important! EVERY MW game ever had it.. PGI.. don't shoot yourself in the foot by not having mech customisation in MW5..

see my previous response

View PostGreyhart, on 13 July 2017 - 03:01 AM, said:

I am not sure what that means to be honest. Suggests a more restrictive mechlab not that there will be none at all. see next paragraph:

"While Bullock wasn't able to go too deep into detail, he did suggest that along with mech customization, players could expect to also have a degree of control over the mercenaries they hire, what they pilot, and how their lances are formed."

In context he clearly means that there is less customisation but not no customisation.

Perhaps again people say what they would want from the Mechlab customisation.

#12 stoogah

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:12 AM

Better no customization at all than customization leading to boating and extreme power creep (like now in mwo) imo.

#13 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:18 AM

View Poststoogah, on 13 July 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

Better no customization at all than customization leading to boating and extreme power creep (like now in mwo) imo.

what about sized hard points like in MW4? That makes boating difficult.

#14 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:29 AM

As there is no MW5 forum.

how do you think the mech lab in MW5 should work?

1. as MWO
2. as MW4
3. As MW2+3
4. other

Just want to know peoples thought.

Also who knows if there is a strong consensus it might be early enough to be implemented.

and as a final thought. I think it likely we will see MWO be replaced with an online MW5, could be a migration a new MWO2 or anywhere in between. So would need to balance PvP not just PvE.

I loved MW2 and how they did armor weapons and the UI
I hated MW4 and how they did things

the way they did things in MW2 is a huge part of the success of MW2
it will be hard to get things right

its another reason simulation games have a hard time you need to get everything right

jmtcw

Edited by Davegt27, 13 July 2017 - 05:29 AM.

#15 Luminis

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1,434 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:09 AM

Customisation? Bah. Think big!

I want to be able to build my 'Mech based on the TT's construction rules. Screw hardpoints and all that humbug! And if I really had it my way, you'd also be able to slap different components from different 'Mechs together (maybe dialed back to be more generic and compatible) to even create your own custom appearance!

#16 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:21 AM

View Poststoogah, on 13 July 2017 - 05:12 AM, said:

That would be great and all, but what about mechs of that time that are boats by design, look at Bj-1DB from 3022, it has 2LL and 4Ml or the good o'l Hunchback 4P them 8 medium lasers... a boat one would say.

Facts are that in lore there are a number of range specific optimized mech varients , probably at least one in every weight class, and in that game a metagame depending on several factors like A.I. weapon mechanics and so on will decide on a optimal configuration and some kind of boating will be it, and at least one lore mech will have that, or a close enough to it, that it will be the most used mech... witch means say goodby to variety if you plan to play optimally.

The only thing that can limit boating, lore wise, is a low heat cap and real heat penalties under shutdown heats, though even then you might still want to boat weapons if the heat dissipation time is shorter then weapon cooldowns by delay firing 2 or more groups of weapons.

If there are difficulty levels I'll crank mine up to max and min-max my way through hoping that it is necessary to do so to win, and if the customization is very limited I think you will see only several variations of a "winning" lance late game.

#17 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:39 AM

Pretty much every mechwarrior game has some sort of mechlab customization of weapons and armor. Name one that does not have it.

Lack of customization would wreck the game.

They have no dedicated development team or website it seems so mw5 appears to be on the backburner.

Honestly after they announced mechwarrior online with mw5 footage.. than mothballed mw5 i am not getting my hopes up.

#18 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:47 AM

View PostNatred, on 13 July 2017 - 06:39 AM, said:

Pretty much every mechwarrior game has some sort of mechlab customization of weapons and armor. Name one that does not have it.

Posted Image

:)

Ok, it most likely doesn't have a MechLab because it was tweaked for more of an arcade experience (see sub-title), however it is still technically a MechWarrior game without customization. I also think MechWarrior for the SNES didn't have a MechLab also. If we really want to look at proper MechWarrior PC releases, I think they all had Mechlabs.

I hope MW5:Mercs does have a Mechlab of some sort (even if it is more limited in what a person could do). I don't mind limiting wild customization changes, but some small changes would be nice (Example: like changing out like sized items like a LRM5 with a SRM4).

#19 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:03 AM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 13 July 2017 - 02:55 AM, said:

Makes sense given the era of game play for MW5, custom mechs were few and far between during that era... well in all eras really.

#20 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:05 AM

View PostNatred, on 13 July 2017 - 06:39 AM, said:

Lack of customization would wreck the game.

They have no dedicated development team or website it seems so mw5 appears to be on the backburner.

Honestly after they announced mechwarrior online with mw5 footage.. than mothballed mw5 i am not getting my hopes up.

I agree without customisation I wouldn't consider it a mechwarrior game.

I don't think we should read much into a lack of material being released on MW5. There is no doubt a lot of boring work being done and nothing exciting to say and so better to say nothing. there are no backers to keep happy so better to release things when they are reasonable confident they have them nailed down.

As we know PGI might have grand hopes and aspirations for feature that look nothing like what we end up with. People then become annoyed that they didn't get what they thought was promised.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users