12 replies to this topic

#1 AphexTwin11

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 398 posts
  • LocationLooking right through you, with somniferous almond eyes

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:26 AM

There is so much debate over whether or not LRMs need to be buffed or nerfed with the recent changes implemented. I personally don't feel one way or the other about them, but they do seem to be more "useful" now that more people are foregoing the ST radar dep. nodes vs. pre ST where the module was a one size fit all option (as for the LRMs OP AMS UP crowd, just stfu and find a rock Posted Image ) .

But ignoring that can-o-worms for a moment, being able to actively shoot down LRMs with weapons other than AMS would be pretty sweet.

I could be totally off-base, but I think the ability to shoot down LRMs with your equipped (non-ams) weapons, albeit less effective than a dedicated AMS, would be a welcome addition especially in the QP. Meaning, you could use your long(er) duration (sup clans Posted Image ) laser weapons to mitigate the damage done by a hurl of LRMs by taking some of them out with your ML's or LL's.

I haven't seen a topic about this posted before, so if this is already a part of the game you'll have to forgive me for being ignorant. I think I've actually tried this a couple times and it doesn't seem to do anything currently, so I felt the need to bring it up here.

EDIT: if this in-fact part of the game now, can someone post a video of it happening?

Edited by AphexTwin11, 13 July 2017 - 09:29 AM.

#2 8Ball-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 292 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:00 AM

Sounds good. They're slow enough that maybe a group of arm mounted machine guns or lbx's could take out a few. Think everything else would be too pin point to get more than a couple.

#3 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

Nine counters to lrms aren't enough huh? lams will be the ninth one once civil war tech drops. I'm sure you can go through all the previous lrm threads and make a full list of each counter. I did once and posted it. Got tired of all the lrm op/nerf threads and deleted the text file I had of all the counters.

#4 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

Because what we really need is that 6xLMG Jagermech doing anti-missile duty by shooting down missiles with it's gun pods like the Gundam it longs to be.

If you want to be cruel, just allow AMS on ballistic mounts, and the 7-AMS JM6-DD will literally cleanse the area around it of any missile usefulness whatsoever.

#5 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

View PostAphexTwin11, on 13 July 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

There is so much debate over whether or not LRMs need to be buffed or nerfed with the recent changes implemented. I personally don't feel one way or the other about them, but they do seem to be more "useful" now that more people are foregoing the ST radar dep. nodes vs. pre ST where the module was a one size fit all option (as for the LRMs OP AMS UP crowd, just stfu and find a rock Posted Image ) .

But ignoring that can-o-worms for a moment, being able to actively shoot down LRMs with weapons other than AMS would be pretty sweet.

I could be totally off-base, but I think the ability to shoot down LRMs with your equipped (non-ams) weapons, albeit less effective than a dedicated AMS, would be a welcome addition especially in the QP. Meaning, you could use your long(er) duration (sup clans Posted Image ) laser weapons to mitigate the damage done by a hurl of LRMs by taking some of them out with your ML's or LL's.

I haven't seen a topic about this posted before, so if this is already a part of the game you'll have to forgive me for being ignorant. I think I've actually tried this a couple times and it doesn't seem to do anything currently, so I felt the need to bring it up here.

EDIT: if this in-fact part of the game now, can someone post a video of it happening?

This was discussed before, years ago. My understanding is that this would be very taxing on netcode and hit detection, and is not feasible with the way missiles are currently implemented.

#6 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:45 AM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 13 July 2017 - 11:08 AM, said:

Because what we really need is that 6xLMG Jagermech doing anti-missile duty by shooting down missiles with it's gun pods like the Gundam it longs to be.

If you want to be cruel, just allow AMS on ballistic mounts, and the 7-AMS JM6-DD will literally cleanse the area around it of any missile usefulness whatsoever.

ooooh.... the 8 AMS Cheetah!!!

#7 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:18 PM

Geez not enough counter for you?
"Get gud."
Seriously doing that is like firing a machine gun at a swarm of bee's
Just dumb.
Besides the gud lurm pilots are not firing at the ams laden mechs anyway.
And for that kitfox pilot who I burned thru all his ams ammo and still got him.
Still not sorry.
Posted Image

Edited by Novakaine, 13 July 2017 - 01:20 PM.

#8 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:31 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 13 July 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

Geez not enough counter for you?
"Get gud."
Seriously doing that is like firing a machine gun at a swarm of bee's
Just dumb.
Besides the gud lurm pilots are not firing at the ams laden mechs anyway.
And for that kitfox pilot who I burned thru all his ams ammo and still got him.
Still not sorry.
Posted Image

Sounds like Nova got a little triggered by this post.

You prolly shouldnt be telling people to 'Get Gud' considering your stats, I will admit your average match score is ok but in general average match score has gone up considerably since the introduction of skill tree and multiple airstrikes/arty.

Posted Image

Not sorry either ;p

#9 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:36 PM

People of rather dull intelligence always tend resort personal insults.
Stats mean nothing to me only the fun I have playing this game.
However you may find a little self introspection to be of benefit.
Have a great dayPosted Image

#10 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:26 AM

LRMs have enough counters as it is.. no need for more..

#11 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:34 AM

I love playing support mech such as my 3 AMS nova with 11k rounds and just to nerf 1-2 mechs with this thing is awesome. Now with laser AMS I will sub one AMS module with a Laser AMS module just so I can still support the team vs Lrms with out running out of ammo. Also just so I dont overheat and die only one.

LRMS dont need more nerfs just players need to know the ways to counter them and players that play LRM's to learn how to play them effectively...

#12 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:14 AM

Posted Image

#13 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:27 AM

You can actually shoot them down now with other weapons its just very difficult to manually aim correctly to put your laser/ppc/autocannon shot in the spot to connect with a missile. Missiles have ONE hit point. Now obviously at 160 meters per second for LRMs... you're not going to get much contact from most beam lasers long enough to actually detonate a missile unless you being the target...perfectly fired upwards along the same path the missiles are arcing down at you along. A PPC or cannon hit will just be dumb luck but will kill the missile. But really... why even bother trying when an AMS is coded to do the hitting automatically and more effectively. MGs don't do enough damage per shot to do the job, and pulse lasers aren't much better than beam lasers. The previous version of flamers which did much more significant damage over time than the current version does.... well.... ok its a spray the missile has to fly thru so the hitting is easy... but again....damage over time... the missiles will pass thru the flamethrower flame in half a second.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users