Heavy Gauss Paradox

59 replies to this topic

#21 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

H-Gauss, the Gauss that needs a charge up so it can't be used as well as a brawling weapon with an optimal range that is well into brawling territory but also needs a screen shake so it isn't so brawly.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

#22 Tyroki

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:45 PM

See, it's the light gauss I don't understand.
It has the weight of a AC10 and yet deals half the damage of a standard gauss?
I get that the cooldown is lower, but not low enough to make up for the downsides.

Edited by Tyroki, 19 July 2017 - 08:54 PM.

#23 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:56 PM

Heavy Gauss is easy to fix

change it to 10 crits, but cant be placed in an arm, only side torsos

make it 22 damage, 570m optimum range, 1140m max range, 6s cooldown, 1s chargeup

ghost heat limit it at 1 so firing 2 at the same time generates a significant heat penalty.

now its actually a gauss rifle not some horrible fail brawling weapon that cant even compete with an AC10. and you cant abuse its PPFLD it by taking two of them, you have to fire them half a second apart, or suffer the heat penalty.

I get that the cooldown is lower, but not low enough to make up for the downsides.

Make Light Gauss do 10 damage. Increase the cooldown to 4.5+0.5

I fixed that one too.

Edited by Khobai, 19 July 2017 - 09:09 PM.

#24 Rusharn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 10:50 PM

The real problem is not one mech taking 2 x Hvy Gauss, it is when you end up facing four, five, or six mechs using 2 x Heavy Gauss. If they focus fire a target it doesn't matter how much you have spec'd in the survival tree, or how much you have balanced your armor forward, you are destroyed if they are halfway decent gunners. At that point that leaves your only defense is faster mechs, but unless you are pushing 130kph+ then you are not fast enough for that to be a defense. They really are a force multiplier weapon.

That unfortunately means that there are some adjustments that need to me made such as the ones Khobai has suggested.

#25 lazorbeamz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:10 PM

What are you even talking about. The HGR is the most lethal weapon in the game right now pretty much. And on 90-100 tonners it has completely overtaken the role of an ac20.

View PostTyroki, on 19 July 2017 - 08:45 PM, said:

Light gauss has velocity and range. Ac10 is pretty much limited to 300m range because it has no velocity to speak of. The idea to buff light gauss well.. It will make ac10 obsolete very quickly.

Edited by lazorbeamz, 18 July 2018 - 11:15 PM.

#26 Kanil

• 1,068 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:51 PM

View Postlazorbeamz, on 18 July 2018 - 11:10 PM, said:

What are you even talking about. The HGR is the most lethal weapon in the game right now pretty much. And on 90-100 tonners it has completely overtaken the role of an ac20.

This thread is a year old, it unsurprisingly contains year old opinions.

#27 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:54 PM

View PostOP8, on 19 July 2017 - 03:16 AM, said:

Considering the weight and slot requirements of the weapon, the charge mechanic and facetime, the range and damage of this weapon are obscenely incompetent. Unlike the AC performance slopes, the Light/reg/heavy curves should be inverse. The light version should have decreased range and damage, the heavy should be increased range and damage. The heavy gauss weapon should have a nominal range of 1000M, a max range of 1800M, and at only 5 shots per ton plus the difficulty of achieving a hit, should do about 45-50 damage. As it stands initially, putting this weapon on any mech will drag down all your kill and damage stat averages. You're significantly better off equipping an AC20 until they fix this obese short range bullet magnet.
Use an AC20. The range is better, it has no suicidal charge mechanic, the damage is guaranteed and it's easier to hit targets without feeling like you taped a "kick me" sign to your own back.

Dude, you cray cray?

If Heavy Gauss had that insane range, it would break the game soooo bad.. Dual Heavy Gauss spam meta is bad enough as it is..

Jeez..

It's like "I want the most OP weapon in the game to be even more OP!"

Come on.. get realistic..

Edited by Vellron2005, 18 July 2018 - 11:55 PM.

#28 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:57 PM

Considering the weight and slot requirements of the weapon, the charge mechanic and facetime, the range and damage of this weapon are obscenely incompetent. Unlike the AC performance slopes, the Light/reg/heavy curves should be inverse. The light version should have decreased range and damage, the heavy should be increased range and damage. The heavy gauss weapon should have a nominal range of 1000M, a max range of 1800M, and at only 5 shots per ton plus the difficulty of achieving a hit, should do about 45-50 damage. As it stands initially, putting this weapon on any mech will drag down all your kill and damage stat averages. You're significantly better off equipping an AC20 until they fix this obese short range bullet magnet.
Use an AC20. The range is better, it has no suicidal charge mechanic, the damage is guaranteed and it's easier to hit targets without feeling like you taped a "kick me" sign to your own back.

Dual Heavy Gauss is obscenely OP. It can one shot lights and some meds or cripple them. The charge mechanic does nothing to balance this combo.

As for AC20s...don't forget that crap velocity. It is much easier to make placed shots with a HG despite the charge mechanic

#29 IIXxXII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:56 AM

Considering the weight and slot requirements of the weapon, the charge mechanic and facetime, the range and damage of this weapon are obscenely incompetent. Unlike the AC performance slopes, the Light/reg/heavy curves should be inverse. The light version should have decreased range and damage, the heavy should be increased range and damage.

Imagine a gauss rifle that could fire different ammunition were powered by a 12 kilowatt battery.

A small caliber round would have a longer range than a heavier round with a larger caliber.

And that's the reason why things are the way they are?

Posted Image

#30 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 19 July 2018 - 02:36 AM

The last post before today was almost a year old.

How do people dig up these ancient threads?

#31 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:26 AM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 19 July 2018 - 02:36 AM, said:

The last post before today was almost a year old.

How do people dig up these ancient threads?

I actually quite enjoyed poring over this quick. It’s nice to get perspective on how naive and hypocritical some that visit the forum are.

#32 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:33 AM

back to your grave, foul undead creature!
@threadomancy

#33 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 19 July 2018 - 06:43 AM

Lol. It is pretty funny seeing the HGR called a garbage weapon back before people realized it's power I guess.

#34 Viking Yelling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:45 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 19 July 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

Give the tabletop gamers "strategic zoom" a la Supreme Commander with augmented reality glasses and we'll have tabletop gaming of the 21st century.

With augmented reality on local multiplayer, you could turn any room into a RTS or table top game board. amazing stuff.

MWO's gauss ranges and damage are actually in the realm of battletech. Even AC/20s do not have a specified size of the bore and damage is calculated more as a "damage = constant" with range variations.

for example, Light Gauss does not necessarily mean it is a smaller gauss rifle. It more equativly means, "lesser damage means lighter/smaller weapon materials" + "lesser damage means projectile can travel farther while retaining effective damage velocity"

#35 Viking Yelling

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:55 AM

View PostRusharn, on 18 July 2018 - 10:50 PM, said:

The real problem is not one mech taking 2 x Hvy Gauss, it is when you end up facing four, five, or six mechs using 2 x Heavy Gauss. If they focus fire a target it doesn't matter how much you have spec'd in the survival tree, or how much you have balanced your armor forward, you are destroyed if they are halfway decent gunners. At that point that leaves your only defense is faster mechs, but unless you are pushing 130kph+ then you are not fast enough for that to be a defense. They really are a force multiplier weapon.

That unfortunately means that there are some adjustments that need to me made such as the ones Khobai has suggested.

this.
games get kinda stupid when one team has 2-4 assaults teamed with Dual H-Gauss(likely Fafnir/anihilator, but basically any IS assault with the hardpoints can carry Dual H-Gauss)

#36 Tetatae Squawkins

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Kaetetôã

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:26 AM

If 4-6 mechs focus a target it probably should die quickly.

#37 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:31 AM

What Heavy Gauss actually needs is higher velocity.

#38 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:38 AM

View PostRandall Flagg, on 19 July 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

What Heavy Gauss actually needs is higher velocity.

I dunno maybe it's just cause I'm used to running AC20 builds but the HGR rounds feel really fast already.

#39 Randall Flagg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 590 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

View PostN a p e s, on 19 July 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

I dunno maybe it's just cause I'm used to running AC20 builds but the HGR rounds feel really fast already.

Heavy Gauss is 1500 while regular Gauss is 2000.

Edited by Randall Flagg, 19 July 2018 - 09:45 AM.

#40 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:03 AM

View PostRandall Flagg, on 19 July 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

Heavy Gauss is 1500 while regular Gauss is 2000.

1500 is still faster than the majority of weapons in the game, and the HGR is supposed to be a brawling weapon (look at your optimal range number) instead of a sniping weapon like the regular GR.

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users