• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:57 PM

View PostKhobai, on 19 July 2017 - 08:56 PM, said:

Heavy Gauss is easy to fix

change it to 10 crits, but cant be placed in an arm, only side torsos

make it 22 damage, 570m optimum range, 1140m max range, 6s cooldown, 1s chargeup

ghost heat limit it at 1 so firing 2 at the same time generates a significant heat penalty.

now its actually a gauss rifle not some horrible fail brawling weapon that cant even compete with an AC10. and you cant abuse its PPFLD it by taking two of them, you have to fire them half a second apart, or suffer the heat penalty.

You're looking for the Improved Gauss Rifle. Pretty much exactly what you said above except i think still 11slot clogging.

20Tons, 22damage, 11slots, just slightly under standard gauss range, no damage falloff till 570meters +/- 15

Edited by Alex Morgaine, 19 July 2018 - 01:00 PM.

#42 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 01:19 PM

View PostEisenhorne, on 19 July 2018 - 06:43 AM, said:

Lol. It is pretty funny seeing the HGR called a garbage weapon back before people realized it's power I guess.

It WAS a garbage weapon before PGI buffed it. Nobody used it last year before its range buff.

A few hundred meters makes all the difference. Just ask anyone why small lasers suck despite having great heat and cooldown stats.

P.S. I don't know who is dumber, people who raise necro threads, or people who read through them and start posting angry year late counter posts while never noticing the date.

#43 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 19 July 2018 - 04:43 PM

View Post5th Fedcom Rat, on 19 July 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

It WAS a garbage weapon before PGI buffed it. Nobody used it last year before its range buff.

A few hundred meters makes all the difference. Just ask anyone why small lasers suck despite having great heat and cooldown stats.

P.S. I don't know who is dumber, people who raise necro threads, or people who read through them and start posting angry year late counter posts while never noticing the date.

Ummm the buff to optimal was 40 meters but sure...

#44 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:01 PM

View Post5th Fedcom Rat, on 19 July 2018 - 01:19 PM, said:

This is not true, not even close. A lot (a lot) of good players were rocking dual HGR right after release. 50 PPFLD sings its own siren song.

#45 Christof Romulus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 898 posts
  • LocationAS7-D(F), GRF-1N(P)

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:11 PM

DIE NECRO THREAD FROM A YEAR AGO!

DIE! YOUR INFORMATION IS OUT DATED!

#46 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:15 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 19 July 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

Ummm the buff to optimal was 40 meters but sure...

Considering the enhanced max range it has, and how skill tree Range nodes are scalar, that's a larger buff than you are giving it credit for.

Also, IIRC, the cooldown was reduced at some point in there.

#47 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:33 PM

The HGR optimal range buff let it reach out with max damage to the same distances as other brawl weapons, and the max range let it deal 20+ out to ~400m which made it outright superior to AC20s, AC10s, or Gauss on the lower side of midrange if you could afford the tonnage. They took a too-heavy, too-bulky meme-cannon that shared a range bracket (which I tend to call "slappyfight range") with small lasers and MGs, and brought it into the ML/MPL/SRM/AC20 game, with the potential to deal big hits out to midrange. Just the range buff on its own made the weapon viable. It was hot garbage before that happened.

#48 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:39 PM

Buff to hgr? Works for me, but stronger is always better :3

#49 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:12 AM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 19 July 2018 - 02:36 AM, said:

The last post before today was almost a year old.

How do people dig up these ancient threads?

I blame PGI being unable to implement a working forum search that sorts by date by default. So players are using google search instead and end up with such old threads more likely...

#50 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:30 AM

View PostJadePanther, on 19 July 2017 - 03:27 AM, said:

Did you also forget the bull in a china shop syndrome it suffers from. Where the slightest nudge and the thing explodes.. Even though its not carrying a charge to be able to explode with.. Best i can compare that to is an empty tube with dynamite written on the side destroying a skyscraper when a fly lands on it..

When they either remove gauss chargeup or gauss explosion chance i'll call the whole line of weapons in a better place.. Till then they seem to exist in a fantasy paradox of something inert causing an explosion...

While I find the explode mechanic hillarious too (it should have a 1/6th chance of exploding like any ammo bin) the fact a charged super conductor capacitor can explosively discharge its stored energy when forcefully damaged should be painfully obvious.
Sadly the true advantage of the HGR has been lost in translation while going from TT to PC game.
Killer pinpoint dmg (and dps since the dmg in Battletech TT is scaled to 10sec rounds) to very little heat ratio that conserves multiple heat sinks compared to other weapon combos that would do the same for less weight and space.
So in TT the advantage is grossly with Gauss rifles of any kind since you always can justify their size and space requirements with not using Heatsinks that would require lots of space and weight.

#51 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 20 July 2018 - 08:36 AM

View PostOP8, on 19 July 2017 - 03:16 AM, said:

Considering the weight and slot requirements of the weapon, the charge mechanic and facetime, the range and damage of this weapon are obscenely incompetent. Unlike the AC performance slopes, the Light/reg/heavy curves should be inverse. The light version should have decreased range and damage, the heavy should be increased range and damage. The heavy gauss weapon should have a nominal range of 1000M, a max range of 1800M, and at only 5 shots per ton plus the difficulty of achieving a hit, should do about 45-50 damage. As it stands initially, putting this weapon on any mech will drag down all your kill and damage stat averages. You're significantly better off equipping an AC20 until they fix this obese short range bullet magnet.
Use an AC20. The range is better, it has no suicidal charge mechanic, the damage is guaranteed and it's easier to hit targets without feeling like you taped a "kick me" sign to your own back.

A, the weapon is based on BT figures, where light projectiles go farther. Deal with it.

B, how on earth do you figure an AC20 round has better range?

#52 MetalGhost

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:56 PM

View PostBush Hopper, on 18 July 2018 - 11:57 PM, said:

Dual Heavy Gauss is obscenely OP. It can one shot lights and some meds or cripple them. The charge mechanic does nothing to balance this combo.

As for AC20s...don't forget that crap velocity. It is much easier to make placed shots with a HG despite the charge mechanic

I think the charge mechanic makes them even easier to shoot with lasers and get alpha shots.

Edited by MetalGhost, 21 July 2018 - 08:02 PM.

#53 Mechwarrior1441491

• 1,157 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:03 PM

There is a trade off with HG in mwo. Being stuck with standard engines is one of them. Lack of slots for anything useful and ferro/endo possible being out of the question. So a slower machine that isn't all that responsive and guns that spontaneously explode if an MG looks at you.

HG is fine.

Edited by Mechwarrior1441491, 21 July 2018 - 09:04 PM.

#54 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 10:17 PM

I never played with a heavy gauss rifle in my life . This short range thing is not a rifle . XD

#55 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 21 July 2018 - 11:32 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 20 July 2018 - 07:30 AM, said:

While I find the explode mechanic hillarious too (it should have a 1/6th chance of exploding like any ammo bin) the fact a charged super conductor capacitor can explosively discharge its stored energy when forcefully damaged should be painfully obvious.
Sadly the true advantage of the HGR has been lost in translation while going from TT to PC game.
Killer pinpoint dmg (and dps since the dmg in Battletech TT is scaled to 10sec rounds) to very little heat ratio that conserves multiple heat sinks compared to other weapon combos that would do the same for less weight and space.
So in TT the advantage is grossly with Gauss rifles of any kind since you always can justify their size and space requirements with not using Heatsinks that would require lots of space and weight.

I'm not aruging that an arcflash event shouldnt occur when a CHARGED super conducting capacitor insulation becomes compromised allowing STORED ENERGY to escape with exposive consequence..

I'm just arguing that since the gauss is being carried around uncharged 99% of the time then the explosion mechanic shouldnt really exist should it? Yet every time someone sneezes at the thing it explodes despite it being uncharged and existing in an nonvolatile state..

i'd just like to see the other side of the see-saw swing the proper way and balance out.. If we are stuck with charge time then remove crit explosion or reduce the chance sooo drastically to match the fact that a state of volatile charge exists for only fractions of a second..

or give us the option to choose between a gauss rifle that charges and does not explode, or a gauss that stays charged and is therefore subject to volatile explosion hazards..

#56 MTier Slayed Up

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 717 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 02:52 AM

View PostOriginal Post, on 19 July 2017 - 03:16 AM, said:

I never read the lore.

#57 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 22 July 2018 - 08:49 AM

View PostOP8, on 19 July 2017 - 03:52 AM, said:

The rail guns we have in the real world as of last year can hit a target 40 miles away, and weigh less than 18 tons. Food for thought.

But we need a literal powerplant to charge just one of the things. It takes the energy to power ~20,000 homes for an hour for just one shot.

#58 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:26 AM

View PostAthom83, on 22 July 2018 - 08:49 AM, said:

But we need a literal powerplant to charge just one of the things. It takes the energy to power ~20,000 homes for an hour for just one shot.

Are you trying to say that 'Mechs do not have powerplants?

#59 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 July 2018 - 09:27 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 22 July 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

Fusion reactor says wot

#60 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 23 July 2018 - 06:55 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 22 July 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

They do, but not that powerful when considering it also needing to power the mech itself and other weapons (lasers, PPCs, etc). Also considering that it would need a large bank of capacitors to hold that power for a shot, then wait for it to recharge for the next. Just saying, the gauss in BT lore is likely an improved version that sacrifices a lot of the range for vastly improved power requirements.

Edit; and the likely reason for the tons of difference between the BT gauss and the IRL railgun is that the Gauss in BT has capacitor banks built into the weapon while they are separate on the railgun IRL.

Edited by Athom83, 23 July 2018 - 06:57 AM.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users