325 replies to this topic

#61 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,679 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:17 AM

If I had fun after a match I simply type "gg" no matter what game it is. If snowflakes need their safe zone and choose to get offended after they have a terrible match, then perhaps they shouldn't be playing online video games with chat support in the first place. It's almost like the same thing with under aged kids play mature video games and start spewing cuss words because their parents failed to read that there is an ESRB rating there in the first place.

#62 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:18 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2017 - 08:15 AM, said:

Indeed, if you want to live your life butthhurt and perpetually triggered, and giving all the illusory boogeymen on teh intrawebz control over your mood and happiness, it is your life, and nobody can stop you.

Curious how that works, yes?

thats a strawman though...

gg on onesided match is equivalent of going to a homeless person and saying "nice house you got there"...

View PostGasboy, on 19 July 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

The fact that you say "enemy" over "opposing team" shows just how srs bsns you consider the game.

Perhaps, and this may just blow your mind but probably not, the other team just might consider that you did put up a good effort, that you tried, but that in that match, they were the better team? And thus, to give you consideration and respect, state good game or well played?

Also, could I get your definition of what a good game is? Is 12-0 any worse than 12-6? Is a 12-11 heartbreaker better or worse than a 12-6 game where it was easy to know when the game was inevitably lost?

Is it okay to say GG to a 12-6 game, but not a 12-5 one?

Where's the line?

The answer to that question, I will bet a good lunch on, is different for everyone.

it just shows how seriously i treat typing on forums that i use 5 letters instead of 12...

So wait, "you tried but were just better than you" isnt an insult in your book?? i wouldnt be surprised if you got suckerpunched for such smugness where i live.

good game is a close game, where teams are actually balanced not a onesided beating akin to south park stanley cup...

Edited by davoodoo, 19 July 2017 - 08:26 AM.

#63 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:19 AM

View PostJadePanther, on 19 July 2017 - 08:10 AM, said:

nice match has 8 more letters if u include the space.. gg takes half a second and zero thought... its the type of thing that a paralyzed housefly can be trained to do in a lab somewhere.. I serious doubt anyone has time to exert a single thought of what they are doing when they mash GG and leave..

on the other hand actually typing something out instead of 2 letters and leave takes a little more thought and shows some form of sincerity.

As I've said already, not everyone can type fast enough to get out a "good game", as at the end of the match, people leave. They look at the scorecard and then click the exit button. There's a reason why people use acronyms.

I can type up to 150 words per minute, and I guarantee you I put no more effort or thought into typing "Good game." than I do into GG. It's more efficient.

#64 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:19 AM

View PostAssaultPig, on 19 July 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

see this is a perfect example of what people in the thread are talking about

here we have a forum post that appears to be completely benign; it's well composed, not aggressive, not a wall of text, etc.

but we know, because of contextual information we all have as speakers of language, that it's actually pretty troll-y. We can tell that we're meant to be insulted by the last paragraph. Of course, BS is likely to come back and say that no, I'm unfairly impugning his motives and that we all ought to take words at face value! Because of course we're not angry-at-the-world miscreants, are we? Anybody who's spent any time on forums in the history of the internet has done this stupid dance with trolls at once time or another and ought to be able to recognize it for what it is.

gg, indeed

Act like a triggered miscreant, be treated like one?

I don't see any double meaning in the last line. It says what it means. That if you take offense to everything, perhaps the problem is you? Because guess what? It is.

#65 illudium Q 36

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 73 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:20 AM

I used to be active on political forums. My signature sign off was "Best Regards". Some found it condescending. So I knocked it off.

You're in a game that runs exactly three minutes. You're on the losing side in a 12-0 match. The four members of a unit that eliminated you and ten of your team mates all type "GG" in quick succession.

You can have whatever reaction you want to this. But their meaning is crystal clear and it's one that's at your expense.

Edited by illudium Q 36, 19 July 2017 - 08:27 AM.

#66 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

View Postdavoodoo, on 19 July 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

what gg on onesided is equivalent of going to a homeless person and saying "nice house you got there"...

You seem to assume that the people on the end of a onesided loss had a bad game, though. I'd rather assume the opposite.

#67 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

View PostJman5, on 19 July 2017 - 08:10 AM, said:

Nice false equivalency you got there.
GG can mean many things, just as FU, there's no definite meaning of these acronyms.
The point is that you don't know what others mean when all you see is two letters, no facial expression, no tone of voice.
When the only context is having lost with a big margin, only seeing a GG can and will be interpreted in a negative way.

#68 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:22 AM

View PostYellonet, on 19 July 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

I see quite a few people here arguing that they are not responsible for how others interpret what they say.
That's either a child like view or probably on the psychopath checklist.

When you say something is often as important as what you say.

Truth.

If you go through life blaming other people for not understanding what you say or meant by your speech, then you must think you're a better speaker than MLK.

Edited by Suko, 19 July 2017 - 08:23 AM.

#69 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:23 AM

View PostYellonet, on 19 July 2017 - 08:20 AM, said:

GG can mean many things, just as FU, there's no definite meaning of these acronyms.
The point is that you don't know what others mean when all you see is two letters, no facial expression, no tone of voice.
When the only context is having lost with a big margin, only seeing a GG can and will be interpreted in a negative way.

But in the end, that's only an assumption. You assume that they intended you to take offence to it. You don't really know.

Why assume the worst?

#70 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:23 AM

View PostGasboy, on 19 July 2017 - 08:20 AM, said:

You seem to assume that the people on the end of a onesided loss had a bad game, though. I'd rather assume the opposite.

So 12-2 is fun?

Losing five of your teammates in the first 120 seconds because they starfish when they see the enemy is fun?

Watching two ******* shout, "We're flanking!" And then they die shortly thereafter is fun?

Or worse... some tool wanders towards the enemy alone and you repeatedly warn them to turn back, but they say nothing, walk to their death (in the first 90 seconds), and still say nothing afterwards? That's fun?

#71 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:24 AM

View PostGasboy, on 19 July 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

As I've said already, not everyone can type fast enough to get out a "good game", as at the end of the match, people leave. They look at the scorecard and then click the exit button. There's a reason why people use acronyms.

I can type up to 150 words per minute, and I guarantee you I put no more effort or thought into typing "Good game." than I do into GG. It's more efficient.

theres time for the interested.. TBH end game chat shouldnt end so fast.. even though i've managed to have some interesting exchanges afterwords.. theres more than enough time for 2 words if i have get 4 sentances in with someone.. but hey if you wanna blame me for eveyones "get in the car and floor it mom" attitude then sure..

#72 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:25 AM

View Postdavoodoo, on 19 July 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

what gg on onesided is equivalent of going to a homeless person and saying "nice house you got there"...

except that what you just said is obviously insulting, al the time, because of the context. GG isn't. But at this point, I actually am just enjoying watching all the mental gymnastics you guys are going through trying to justify how the whole world is really just a bunch of rude Dbags trying to hide their motives in thinly veiled insults....

Me? If I want to insult someone, I prefer to just come out and say it. In life, on the internet. We used to call it having balls. (but that would probably trigger the SJWs as sexist today) And it seems like by the amount of special cupcake ease of triggering going on these days, sadly, our participation prize society has indeed produced a generation that needs to grow a a pair?

At the very least seems like a whole lot of people on the internet needs to go get some perspective in their lives.

But hey, *enjoy* being triggered, I reckon?

#73 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:26 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

Act like a triggered miscreant, be treated like one?

I don't see any double meaning in the last line. It says what it means. That if you take offense to everything, perhaps the problem is you? Because guess what? It is.

if I have to choose, I'ma choose to be the dude who cares about how other people interpret what I say, rather than the one who takes the position that if anyone's offended by something I say it's actually them who has a problem.

but again, live your life however you want I guess

#74 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:30 AM

View PostJadePanther, on 19 July 2017 - 08:24 AM, said:

theres time for the interested.. TBH end game chat shouldnt end so fast.. even though i've managed to have some interesting exchanges afterwords.. theres more than enough time for 2 words if i have get 4 sentances in with someone.. but hey if you wanna blame me for eveyones "get in the car and floor it mom" attitude then sure..

Where did I blame you for anything?

You and I both know that the vast majority of players exit the game almost immediately after it ends. The spammy stream of "Soandso disconnected, soandso disconnected, soandso disconnected". Quite a few people leave right after they die. I would bet you those 'interesting exchanges' have been few and far between, yes? "Good game" being shortened to GG is simply a consequence of that.

#75 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

View PostMister Blastman, on 19 July 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

So 12-2 is fun?

Losing five of your teammates in the first 120 seconds because they starfish when they see the enemy is fun?

Watching two ******* shout, "We're flanking!" And then they die shortly thereafter is fun?

Or worse... some tool wanders towards the enemy alone and you repeatedly warn them to turn back, but they say nothing, walk to their death (in the first 90 seconds), and still say nothing afterwards? That's fun?

I've had fun on the losing end of 12-2 matches, yes.

I have had matches where I've put down a herculean achievement, carried as hard as I could, but because of a mistake on my teams part, a comp premade on the other side, the results were one sided, regardless.

I've also had matches where we got stomped because of asinine play by my team. And no, those aren't the most fun out there. But if can't handle the fact that playing with strangers is going to be a mixed bag of results, perhaps I need to stick to solitaire?

Seems like a lot of gamers with a lot of self esteem issues. Might also explain the need for epeen, and other such laughable validation.

#76 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

No.. What you are claiming is akin to people saying they are OK to be offended if someone says "thank you" or "you're welcome".... because in YOUR mind you've decided they could only be meaning to mock or condescend.

And so yes, that would be entirely on you.
No, I'm talking about saying GG after a match. Thank you and the like are quite more well established than GG.
If "GG" is all that is said after the match the result of that match is the only context in which to interpret the meaning.
Some people will interpret it as "Thank you for the match, even though you got stomped I hope you had some fun, sorry" while others will interpret it as "Hahahahaha good game sucker ahaha". With no definite meaning to GG and no context except for the match, nobody is right or wrong.

As such, in my opinion, I'd rather say nothing at all than upset some people for no reason at all.
Some people will say what they want not caring on how it will be interpreted.
I feel it just comes down to empathy.

#77 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:31 AM

View PostAssaultPig, on 19 July 2017 - 08:26 AM, said:

if I have to choose, I'ma choose to be the dude who cares about how other people interpret what I say, rather than the one who takes the position that if anyone's offended by something I say it's actually them who has a problem.

but again, live your life however you want I guess

GG.

#78 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:31 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2017 - 08:25 AM, said:

except that what you just said is obviously insulting, al the time, because of the context. GG isn't. But at this point, I actually am just enjoying watching all the mental gymnastics you guys are going through trying to justify how the whole world is really just a bunch of rude Dbags trying to hide their motives in thinly veiled insults....

I wonder (seriously) if it's acceptable to walk around a hospital saying "Good Day!" to all the people you meet. Most people in a hospital probably aren't having a good day. However, you mean well by it and feel it should improve people's moods. Some probably will feel better because of it. But for those who are REALLY having a bad day (loss of loved one, or notice of a serious health problem), you're just pouring salt into the wound.

While not as extreme, I see MWO matches in the same vein.

Edited by Suko, 19 July 2017 - 08:32 AM.

#79 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

View PostGasboy, on 19 July 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

Where did I blame you for anything?

You and I both know that the vast majority of players exit the game almost immediately after it ends. The spammy stream of "Soandso disconnected, soandso disconnected, soandso disconnected". Quite a few people leave right after they die. I would bet you those 'interesting exchanges' have been few and far between, yes? "Good game" being shortened to GG is simply a consequence of that.

or golden geese?

#80 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

I've had fun on the losing end of 12-2 matches, yes.

I have had matches where I've put down a herculean achievement, carried as hard as I could, but because of a mistake on my teams part, a comp premade on the other side, the results were one sided, regardless.

I've also had matches where we got stomped because of asinine play by my team. And no, those aren't the most fun out there. But if can't handle the fact that playing with strangers is going to be a mixed bag of results, perhaps I need to stick to solitaire?

Seems like a lot of gamers with a lot of self esteem issues. Might also explain the need for epeen, and other such laughable validation.

So you won't be upset when I say, "Hahaha good game, losers," or, "So pathetic. Keep the change after you wax my mech," or "So bad, so sad," after a game, right?

Because I'll gladly do so, especially if it doesn't earn me reports.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users