325 replies to this topic

#81 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

View PostGasboy, on 19 July 2017 - 08:20 AM, said:

You seem to assume that the people on the end of a onesided loss had a bad game, though. I'd rather assume the opposite.

I mean sure there are ppl who are happy about everything.

I know quite a few ppl to whom i can say "your mother is a filthy ***** and whole country got her" and they wouldnt feel insulted, but im not talking about singular examples...

9 times out of 10 onesided ends with complaints about the team which clearly show that they didnt have good time.

Edited by davoodoo, 19 July 2017 - 08:35 AM.

#82 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:34 AM

View PostYellonet, on 19 July 2017 - 08:30 AM, said:

I feel it just comes down to empathy.

And yet by insisting that your interpretation is the only correct one, you actually are doing the opposite. Part of empathy is to not go around assuming the worst all the time. Amazing how that works.

The root of true empathy is to not assuming the worst in people to begin with.

#83 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

View PostThoseWhoFearTomorrow, on 19 July 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

You sound like a real joy.

kick the tires and light the fires.

#84 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

View PostArnold The Governator, on 19 July 2017 - 08:17 AM, said:

If I had fun after a match I simply type "gg" no matter what game it is.
Yes, that is indeed simple.

#85 The Mysterious Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 381 posts
  • LocationUsing your bathroom

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

gg

#86 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

View PostSuko, on 19 July 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

I wonder (seriously) if it's acceptable to walk around a hospital saying "Good Day!" to all the people you meet. Most people in a hospital probably aren't having a good day. However, you mean well by it and feel it should improve people's moods. Some probably will feel better because of it. But for those who are REALLY having a bad day (loss of loved one, or notice of a serious health problem), you're just pouring salt into the wound.

While not as extreme, I see MWO matches in the same vein.
No no no, clearly it's the receiver's mistake and problem if they interpret good day in any way other than the intended one.

#87 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:38 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

Or having the clarity to understand the implications of what you say, and care not just about yourself, but others.

Two traits of a sociopath:

• Callous unconcern for the feelings of others.
  • Gross and persistent attitude of irresponsibility and disregard for social norms, and obligations.

#88 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

I wonder (seriously) if it's acceptable to walk around a hospital saying "Good Day!" to all the people you meet. Most people in a hospital probably aren't having a good day. However, you mean well by it and feel it should improve people's moods. Some probably will feel better because of it. But for those who are REALLY having a bad day (loss of loved one, or notice of a serious health problem), you're just pouring salt into the wound.

While not as extreme, I see MWO matches in the same vein.

And yet in Australia, that is probably common in a hospital...since "g'day" is a common greeting... and people take it as such, instead of assuming it's some mocking comment meant to mock their condition.

Crazy truth about most polite phrases, introductions, good byes, etc? They are all actually careless phrases tossed off without any real deep thought to the meaning. Most thank yous and you're welcomes, excuse mes, etc... are thrown out as a reflex, not some deeply vetted, considered and expressive statement of commitment.

Handshakes never started life as some meaning of sincerity... but as a way of simply assuring your opposite was not holding a knife (salutes too, actually).

lol.

#89 Kasumi Sumika

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,118 posts
  • LocationFeeding the Fires of Rubicon

saying gg in end of the match is fine.
but saying gg ez is very unsportmanship and insulting even on very close game.

#90 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:39 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 19 July 2017 - 08:38 AM, said:

Or having the clarity to understand the implications of what you say, and care not just about yourself, but others.

Two traits of a sociopath:
[/size][/font]

the irony of how that post can be applied to you and all those claiming a state of constant offense, is pretty rich, also. Amazing how context on almost anything can be twisted.

Perhaps the root of the issue is how much over emphasis some people put on the wrong aspects of their lives... like taking a game way too seriously.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 19 July 2017 - 08:42 AM.

#91 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

And yet by insisting that your interpretation is the only correct one, you actually are doing the opposite. Part of empathy is to not go around assuming the worst all the time. Amazing how that works.

Didn't I just say that both positive and negative interpretation is both expected and correct? Yes I did. I will interpret GG based on context, not on a fixed meaning that I've decided on myself.

#92 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

I dunno. I agree with your definition of empathy, but reading your posts doesn't show that you feel it towards anyone. You keep saying things like akin to "It's not my fault they get upset". That is completely disregarding the empathy and position another individual might be in.

#93 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:40 AM

View PostKasumi Sumika, on 19 July 2017 - 08:38 AM, said:

saying gg in end of the match is fine.
but saying gg ez is very unsportmanship and insulting even on very close game.

how about "GG EzPz"?

See I feel that took more than 3 times as long to type out (4 because I had to correct it once, being a bad typist) so it had to be more sincere, right?

#94 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:41 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

the irony of how that post can be applied to you and all those claiming a state of constant offense, is pretty rich, also. Amazing how context on almost anything can be twisted.

Here's another:

• Markedly prone to blame others or to offer plausible rationalization for the behavior that has brought the person into conflict with society.

Have a nice day!

p.s. I hate this snowflake crap as much as you do. I'm just suggesting we consider the context of what we're saying in order to not exacerbate an already hot-headed community even more.

Edited by Mister Blastman, 19 July 2017 - 08:44 AM.

#95 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:42 AM

The correct answer is to just disable enemy chat.

If the situation demands it, disable team chat as well (usually leave VOIP on and just mute the offender). There is nothing worse than having to sit through all that vitriol people spew after they have died stupidly. Suddenly, it is like the Red Sea is parted and they are gods of gaming of whatever....critiquing every damn move you make. It is really, REALLY ******* annoying

Edited by Chagatay, 19 July 2017 - 08:42 AM.

#96 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:44 AM

But how is it pouring salt into the wound?

Logically, someone saying "Good day!" to you in a cheerful voice is obviously greeting you. There can be no other explanation to that. It's like saying "Hello!", or as the Aussie's would say, "G'day!" That person greeting you likely does not know about the ****** day you've been having. It is logical to assume, if the person is not an ********, that they would say something different if they knew you, and knew of the troubles you were having. People who are staying in a hospital are generally sick, or dying. But in my experience, a friendly face and a kind voice makes things a little bit easier. A conversation and a laugh goes a long way to improving one's outlook on their situation. Someone saying "Good day!" is a conversation starter.

Emotionally, however, yeah, it can rub you the wrong way. You're not in a good state, and it should be forgiven if you lose your temper and say things you might regret later. It's understandable.

But consider it a few weeks later, when the emotions have worn off. That guy who said "Good day!" might be a bit contrite and understand how what he said might have sounded to you. But you're also going to feel like an *** knowing that he was just being friendly and you covered him with verbal diarrhea.

However, your example is rather silly. We're in a game, and we've just lost. Is that comparable to losing your granny? Not even close. And while people may have voice chat set up, most communication I see in game is still text. GG, or "good game" even, is simply text. There are no voice or facial cues to provide nuance.

In the absence of those cues, I prefer to assume the best rather than the worst.

#97 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:45 AM

View PostChagatay, on 19 July 2017 - 08:42 AM, said:

The correct answer is to just disable enemy chat.

I disagree on that.

Instead of just shutting yourself off you should actually develop some sharp tongue of your own.

So if you won 12-0 and feel pretty good about the game and try to tell it was good game.
Then my response will be "go **** yourself along with matchmaking".

View PostGasboy, on 19 July 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

But how is it pouring salt into the wound?

Logically, someone saying "Good day!" to you in a cheerful voice is obviously greeting you. There can be no other explanation to that. It's like saying "Hello!", or as the Aussie's would say, "G'day!" That person greeting you likely does not know about the ****** day you've been having. It is logical to assume, if the person is not an ********, that they would say something different if they knew you, and knew of the troubles you were having. People who are staying in a hospital are generally sick, or dying. But in my experience, a friendly face and a kind voice makes things a little bit easier. A conversation and a laugh goes a long way to improving one's outlook on their situation. Someone saying "Good day!" is a conversation starter.

its not even about tone.

Its about situation you are in.
Your coworker saying good day at 8am when you go to work is just greeting.
Ofc you cant interpret it any other way with that amount of information present.

But the same who says good day when he got promotion instead of you is taunt.

Edited by davoodoo, 19 July 2017 - 08:48 AM.

#98 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2017 - 08:38 AM, said:

And yet in Australia, that is probably common in a hospital...since "g'day" is a common greeting... and people take it as such, instead of assuming it's some mocking comment meant to mock their condition.

Crazy truth about most polite phrases, introductions, good byes, etc? They are all actually careless phrases tossed off without any real deep thought to the meaning. Most thank yous and you're welcomes, excuse mes, etc... are thrown out as a reflex, not some deeply vetted, considered and expressive statement of commitment.

Handshakes never started life as some meaning of sincerity... but as a way of simply assuring your opposite was not holding a knife (salutes too, actually).

lol.

Yes, most salutations have completely lost all their original context and empathy in modern society. It's a phrase/greeting said out of rote societal norms and not out of true care or concern for how someone's life is going.

And by association, I would say calling out "GG" in a match is the same disassociation. It has no earnest meaning anymore. It's just something people type without any true context or empathy. I respect you Bishop, but I think you kind of stepped in it with the above post. You acknowledge greetings as having lost all context, then you go and defend using "GG" as a caring gesture. But it also has lost all meaning in today's gaming environment.

Edited by Suko, 19 July 2017 - 08:48 AM.

#99 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

well it would be funny if devs made thier game treat gg as a blacklist word replacing it with some kind of nonsense phrase.. they already do it in the forums here to some degree.. i triggered it the other day somehow..

#100 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:50 AM

View PostSuko, on 19 July 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

I dunno. I agree with your definition of empathy, but reading your posts doesn't show that you feel it towards anyone. You keep saying things like akin to "It's not my fault they get upset". That is completely disregarding the empathy and position another individual might be in.

Is it, or is it because after long associations with most of the people in question, I know that they will remain offended regardless?

Or maybe it's your own perception bias to what I am saying which is this......

Most of the time we project our own bias and perspective on the actions of others. Most of the time, we are wrong. Sometimes others will unintentionally wrong us. Instead of spending all our time and energy looking to be offended, and then trumping the need to police our every stray thought lest one thing said accidentally give offense.... maybe we need to practice that old saying in our lives more and learn to "turn the other cheek"?

Because by digging our heels in the sand, insisting that the other person is trying to offend... is certain to achieve one thing.... cause a fight or a disagreement. So by insisting on your "rights", you have just done the very thing you accuse the other person of.

A polite society begins by focusing on who you are, not who the other person may or may not be.

View PostSuko, on 19 July 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:

Yes, most salutations have completely lost all their original context and empathy in modern society. It's a phrase/greeting said out of rote societal norms and not out of true care or concern for how someone's life is going.

And by association, I would say calling out "GG" in a match is the same disassociation. It has no earnest meaning anymore. It's just something people type without any true context or empathy. I respect you Bishop, but I think you kind of stepped in it with the above post. You acknowledge greetings as having lost all context, then you go and defend using "GG" as a caring gesture. But it also has lost all meaning in today's gaming environment.

And so if it has no earnest meaning anymore...how can it be meant to be intentionally insulting then, either? You just said it...it has essentially no meaning...like almost all polite phrases.

So unless meaning is put into it...whether it's the "GGclose" or what meaning YOU put into it..... why are you letting something "meaningless" take on so much meaning in your life?

Stop giving up your agency to others...or worse, what you assume others mean.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users