"gg" Is Not A Review

325 replies to this topic

#1 ShoX

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:07 AM

So this comes up every once in while, so I wanted to take a minute to express how I feel about it.

When someone says "GG" after a match, their motives might not be the same as yours.

For some people, like myself, it's an expression of mutual respect. It is not a review of the relative quality of the match.
For some people it is a validation that they found the game good, interesting or in other ways generally worthwhile in retrospect.

If you swing one way and not the other, please have the common courtesy to not spew vitriol into chat because the way in which one player uses it differs from yours.

I say goodbye to customer support by saying "thanks, you've been great" even when they've just been acceptable at best. It costs me nothing and it leaves us all intact as a person at the end of a conversation. This is for the most part a game with a relatively high average age and sometimes it wouldn't hurt to conduct ourselves accordingly.

I have no ownership over you not having enjoyed a match and you have no ownership over when I say gg.

The same obviously goes for similar expressions of courtesy. Don't be an ***.

#2 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:12 AM

It's the handshake after the match.

Be humble in defeat and magnanimous in victory.

#3 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:22 AM

GG is a 2 letter cop out.. people punch 2 letters and GTFO as fast as they can... is there any sincerity in that, nope... Its become a token gesture that people cnat even be bothered to spell out.. Worse yet its been adopted by troll culture as Git Gud for bragging and trolling shenanigans...

So really anymore its just 2 letters that someone mashed before mashing ESC.. Its lost any respectful meaning.

If somone types "Good Game" out or other general congratulatory or respectful comments then thats a nice thing.. But gg is lame now and just 1 letter of 26 that anyone can mash.. look i can mash letters too a;lkd;salkdf;lakdjf;alkdsj;ljfasldhgklhj

#4 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:22 AM

I view "gg" after a 12-2 roll as an insult, if issued from the winning team.

12-2 isn't a good game.

Once upon a time, a long time ago, I was a punkass kid that played a lot of StarCraft. I had a nasty habit of saying "gl hf" at the beginning of every game, which seemed innocuous enough. But I never meant good luck to them, what I really meant was "good luck... you'll need it, have fun while I teabag your ***!"

When I ended up winning, I would say "gg" and sometimes even say it well before my opponent lost--I meant it in a disparaging way.

12-2 isn't a good game, it is a bad game, that likely wasn't fun for the other team, either because they sucked(quite likely were full of bad players), or the matchmaker hosed the game. Usually it is a combination of the two because bad players shouldn't be stacked together, as they end up cowering behind rocks and wait to die.

So if you 12-2 another team, the best thing to say is nothing at all. And if you really feel the urge to say something, trash talk the matchmaker, or show empathy by saying "tough break." You get the idea.

p.s. An alternative for "gl hf" might be ESAD. It is an acronym. And it means something. But at least it's honest...

Edited by Mister Blastman, 19 July 2017 - 07:46 AM.

#5 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:28 AM

You know, I came to the forums today with my safety goggles and my flame retardant gear on, what with all the new toys to moan about, and the first thread I find is an appeal to just be a little nicer to each other. Thanks for that and may your games ever be jovial.

It is an observation of mine, that good-natured teams win more and deal with defeat better than bags of spilt salt. It gets bitter sometimes, and here's a pro-tip on how to handle the aftermath of a particularly vexing match: Exit and be done with it.

gl&hf

#6 AssaultPig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 907 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:34 AM

it's basically just low level trolling; if there ever was a time that 'gg' was taken as an expression of actual respect it's at least twenty years past (I remember the SC1 days too)

surely if you want to show your regard for red team you can be fussed to type more than two letters?

#7 Malcolm Vordermark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:40 AM

If it means anything other than a small gesture of sportsmanship to you, then you are thinking too hard about it.

#8 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:42 AM

View PostGasboy, on 19 July 2017 - 07:12 AM, said:

It's the handshake after the match.

This.

A couple of responses in this thread are too emotionally invested lol

#9 Archer Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 218 posts
  • LocationFoCo

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:43 AM

Interesting thread, if I am on the winning team I only say "gg" only if someone on the other side does. If I am on the losing team and I am there at the end I will throw out a gg if it was a fun match. I certainly wouldn't ever take offense to either side saying it. *edit, but usally after I am killed I leave the match

I do take offense to anyone bad mouthing thier team. Again, especially the "victims" that don't talk all round then get pissed that the group lost.

Also I don't always "o7" at the start of the game, but if someone on the red team throws one out there I don't leave them hanging.

Edited by Archer Magnus, 19 July 2017 - 07:44 AM.

#10 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:44 AM

View PostRouken, on 19 July 2017 - 07:40 AM, said:

If it means anything other than a small gesture of sportsmanship to you, then you are thinking too hard about it.

Exactly.

#11 Paigan

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:44 AM

View PostShoX, on 19 July 2017 - 07:07 AM, said:

So this comes up every once in while, so I wanted to take a minute to express how I feel about it.

When someone says "GG" after a match, their motives might not be the same as yours.

For some people, like myself, it's an expression of mutual respect. It is not a review of the relative quality of the match.
For some people it is a validation that they found the game good, interesting or in other ways generally worthwhile in retrospect.

[...]

It actually once was a review of the quality of the match. ("back when I was young ..." *cough*)
Then some people diluted it to some hollow formula of "it's over" (meaning both respect for the victor and domination over the loser)

Today, I'm way past being upset of that dilution.
Today, it means all kinds of things.
Good quality, respect, taunting the loser, sarcasm about a stomp, whatever.

So I would second your point: it means different things for different people. That's what dilution of a term causes.
Originally, it was to express a good quality of the match.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:46 AM

View PostJadePanther, on 19 July 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

GG is a 2 letter cop out.. people punch 2 letters and GTFO as fast as they can... is there any sincerity in that, nope... Its become a token gesture that people cnat even be bothered to spell out.. Worse yet its been adopted by troll culture as Git Gud for bragging and trolling shenanigans...

So really anymore its just 2 letters that someone mashed before mashing ESC.. Its lost any respectful meaning.

If somone types "Good Game" out or other general congratulatory or respectful comments then thats a nice thing.. But gg is lame now and just 1 letter of 26 that anyone can mash.. look i can mash letters too a;lkd;salkdf;lakdjf;alkdsj;ljfasldhgklhj

wow if 2 letters gets you triggered........

And obviously it hasn't lost any respectful meaning if as the OP just stated it still does for many people. Get off your high horse and quest to be offended.

#13 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:46 AM

View PostThoseWhoFearTomorrow, on 19 July 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

This.

A couple of responses in this thread are too emotionally invested lol

I do think the second line I posted was more poignant: Be humble in defeat and magnanimous in victory.

People seem to forget that it is a game, after all. That on the other end of the internet somewhere are human beings. We're all here to have fun, and winning is generally fun. If you win the match, you don't have to be a **** about it. But likewise, if you lose the match, you don't have to be a **** about it.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:47 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 19 July 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

I view "gg" after a 12-2 roll as an insult, if issued from the winning team.

12-2 isn't a good game.

Once upon a time, a long time ago, I was a punkass kid that played a lot of StarCraft. I had a nasty habit of saying "gl hf" at the beginning of every game, which seemed innocuous enough. But I never meant good luck to them, what I really meant was "good luck... you'll need it, have fun while I teabag your ***!"

When I ended up winning, I would say "gg" and sometimes even say it well before my opponent lost--I meant it in a disparaging way.

12-2 isn't a good game, it is a bad game, that likely wasn't fun for the other team, either because they sucked(quite likely were full of bad players), or the matchmaker hosed the game. Usually it is a combination of the two because bad players shouldn't be stacked together, as they end up cowering behind rocks and wait to die.

So if you 12-2 another team, the best thing to say is nothing at all. And if you really feel the urge to say something, trash talk the matchmaker, or show empathy by saying "tough break." You get the idea.

p.s. An alternative for "gl hf" might be ESAD. It is an acronym. And it means something. But at least it's honest...

if you choose to get triggered that's on you. And yes there are some people who are well known for being dbags about things...like GGClose.

But blame those dbags for your being triggered instead of assuming motives on others.

#15 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:48 AM

GG stands for "git gud"

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:48 AM

View PostTheB33p, on 19 July 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

You know, I came to the forums today with my safety goggles and my flame retardant gear on, what with all the new toys to moan about, and the first thread I find is an appeal to just be a little nicer to each other. Thanks for that and may your games ever be jovial.

It is an observation of mine, that good-natured teams win more and deal with defeat better than bags of spilt salt. It gets bitter sometimes, and here's a pro-tip on how to handle the aftermath of a particularly vexing match: Exit and be done with it.

gl&hf

GG that! ;)

(or as some of my Irish friends say...fair play!

#17 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:49 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 July 2017 - 07:47 AM, said:

if you choose to get triggered that's on you. And yes there are some people who are well known for being dbags about things...like GGClose.

But blame those dbags for your being triggered instead of assuming motives on others.

-1000 points of respect for using the word "triggered."

That word should be flushed down a toilet.

12-2 rolls are more like, "Bleep you, PGI matchmaker, bleep you."

Four minutes of gametime plus 3 - 5 minutes of search are permanently lost to a poor quality waste of time.

Edited by Mister Blastman, 19 July 2017 - 07:50 AM.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:49 AM

View PostQuantumButler, on 19 July 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

GG stands for "git gud"

Not everyone speaks Tryhard, sorry.

#19 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:51 AM

View PostAssaultPig, on 19 July 2017 - 07:34 AM, said:

it's basically just low level trolling; if there ever was a time that 'gg' was taken as an expression of actual respect it's at least twenty years past (I remember the SC1 days too)

surely if you want to show your regard for red team you can be fussed to type more than two letters?

The trouble with your supposition is the expectation that someone sticks around long enough after the match is over to actually see "Good game." GG is faster to type.

View PostQuantumButler, on 19 July 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

GG stands for "git gud"

Only for small-minded people.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:53 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 19 July 2017 - 07:49 AM, said:

-1000 points of respect for using the word "triggered."

That word should be flushed down a toilet.

12-2 rolls are more like, "Bleep you, PGI matchmaker, bleep you."

so should people getting butthurt and QQing over GG.

I've also seen people get triggered over "o7" "<o" or a simple "cheers".

Which tells me there are too many high strung wound people playing games, who because they are by nature, ultra competitive and probably rude, condescending and disrespectful, automatically project that on the world around them, too.

Maybe if people would grow the hell up and realize they are playing a game, it would be the first step in avoiding being perpetually butthurt?

Just a thought.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users