#61 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:29 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 26 July 2017 - 12:45 AM, said:

Stuff like this has been daily basis at times when IS puggles had all the tech advantage one could ask for. Stalkers with 20/20/20/20 quirks to range/cooldown/heat/burntime. And they still managed to get rekt and cry about OP clantech time and time again. It was exhausting.

That's because PUGs bring a QP mentality to CW. Peek a boo and retreat to edge of map when fired upon.

So long as we skip over that fact and they continue to blame Clans, tech, maps, teamwork, queues, MM or lack of one, and the fabled premade, nothing will get done, nothing will change, and the seal will continue to be clubbed over and over.

#62 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:32 AM

Making builds for Clan is way easier for people. They pretty much build themselves
No instant XL deaths and don't have to mess with engines, heat sinks, and JJs as much or at all.

IS you build from the ground up, with more potential for bad, terrible, builds....which seems to happen a lot for some reason.

#63 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:44 AM

View PostGristle Missile, on 26 July 2017 - 06:32 AM, said:

Making builds for Clan is way easier for people. They pretty much build themselves
No instant XL deaths and don't have to mess with engines, heat sinks, and JJs as much or at all.

IS you build from the ground up, with more potential for bad, terrible, builds....which seems to happen a lot for some reason.

So Clan players have exclusive access to MetaMechs and MechSpecs, and are the only ones who are allowed to ask for build advice on the forums? ;) But wait, doing so would make you a "tryhard", and being a tryhard is bad, it's no fun. Interestingly, I regularly see the world "tryhard" being used in a derogatory meaning on these here forums, and it usually comes from IS folk. Apparently, trying hard to become better at something is frowned upon in the Inner Sphere...

#64 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:40 AM

Nah, just buy in cost for Clan tech. More nubs and lore scrubs go IS. Even the Clan lore hounds in stock Clan mechs are in a better mech than IS stock mechs.

Plus more good teams go Clan because Clan is still better. Not by as much as it used to be, but better is better.

#65 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:14 AM

View PostRoadbuster, on 24 July 2017 - 05:06 AM, said:

Posted Image

Thats great.Posted Image

#66 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:47 PM

Note also that you don't have to touch a single scrap of Civil War tech, or even run a particularly meta 'mech to do well. You don't even really have to do much of anything, sometimes.

Posted Image

That came from this. It's a moderately meta build on the wrong 'mech for it (STK-M, ERLLas vomit), and all I did was plop down near O-GEN 2 and play turret mode for 17 minutes, bodyblocking the gen and continually calling for people to just stay and PTFO instead of poking or chasing kills. Granted, if you're on offense on siege you're not going to get a good score (since you pretty much are forced to lead objective rushes if you call them), but you can win just as trivially in pug vs. pug.

The impact of Civil War tech is that IS pugs are now slightly closer in mechanical effectiveness to clam pugs. Combined with the increased prevalence of pug vs. pug combat (partially because of the event, because there's less incentive for a bunch of units to stack clam side, and because the lower number of potential contested planets makes for healthier MM) and it becomes almost trivial to win/do well, as long as someone convinces your team to PTFO.

If there's any weight to the "clan pugs do better because they have more experienced players since the initial cost turns off newbies", it's down to them having more people willing to dropcall pug matches. In my experience, if someone with a mic will dropcall sensibly (that is, constantly and calmly repeat variations of basic organizational orders that amount to "PTFO, don't peek-a-boo with clanners"), you'll usually have at least 3-4 other people who'll agree in comms/chat, and that's usually enough to sway people who would otherwise wander around doing their own thing.

Folks are predisposed to follow the herd in MWO, it's why nascaring is so common even without communication. The key to pugging in FP is to tilt that herd movement in a productive direction (i.e. PTFOing). Ain't hard, as long as you're not scared of talking to 11 other dudes all trying to accomplish the same goal as you. I picked that match out as an example for another reason as well: 11/12 players on the IS side got their 150+ MS goal for the event from that. 7/12 of the clanners did. Don't just be selfish, be sensibly selfish and realize that the most effective way to consistently boost your personal outcome is to work with the team to win, even if it's on a mindnumbingly simple plan, or even a bad one.

Not kidding, I ad-hoc dropcalled four siege attack matches for this event so far. Every one, I didn't say anything early on. We got badly stomped in the first push. I talked people into just doing pure gen rushes, at least 5-6 listened, and we won in the next push or two. Only one other one in that mold ended in a loss (IIRC). That's literally all it takes. If you don't like losing pug matches and nobody else is dropcalling, try it yourself. Even if you **** up it's still better than everyone doing their own thing.

Edited by Alexander of Macedon, 27 July 2017 - 03:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users