22 replies to this topic

#1 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 December 2020 - 01:14 AM

I've been dropping in testing grounds to get a feel for the game after almost 7 years off.

I'm in my Catapult, but the torso twist feels sluggish. After I move my mouse, it takes the torso about a second for the torso to catch up.

If I remember correctly, it wasn't like that when I quit. Everything seemed pretty tight.

There are lots of things on my end I can still check, such as I'm not even using my Logitech G305 mouse, and game setting mouse options.

Are heavy mech's torso twists just slow now? It's not only just slow, it feel like it's sort of mushy too. Like when I move the mouse to torso twist the torso seems to rubber band a bit, or overshoot the mouse location.

I just remember things being more crisp. Now it feels loose. I don't like it.

And, thanks.

#2 The pessimistic optimist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 01:16 AM

Hunchback make old IS Hunchback better

#3 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,570 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 30 December 2020 - 02:02 AM

You can level up your Torso Twist via the Mobility Skill Tree to see if that helps.
That was part of the Skill Tree revamp.

See if you can get similar torso twist speed back when you do that!

#4 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 30 December 2020 - 04:15 AM

Yeah the game is completely different on a mechanics point of view since launch. To get your performance back you have to use the skill tree to make a build that suits your tastes. Have to say other than poor marketing management on keeping the game alive the devs did a pretty good job of balance in the end. Not perfect but good enough.

#5 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 December 2020 - 05:41 AM

The default mechs became less agile and to return some of that agility you need to fill out the agility skill tree. There are nodes specifically for torso speed and mech turning speed. A big issue is that a lot of mechs have terrible breaks now which might make you overshoot your spot when peeking or something. Same for acceleration, it might take forever to get to max speed. Hard Break and Kinetic Burst nodes can improve these stats by up to 24.5%.

Most people generally will prefer survival (more armor), but sometimes it's just too annoying to deal with mechslugs just for an extra +5 to +8 armor on each component. On my Scorch I've completely dumped the survival tree and filled out the agility instead just so I don't feel like I'm playing a submarine stuck in quicksand.

It still won't be as snappy as before, but filling out the tree can give you a 25% to 30% improvement on it.

#6 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 06:25 AM

View PostElizander, on 30 December 2020 - 05:41 AM, said:

The default mechs became less agile and to return some of that agility you need to fill out the agility skill tree. There are nodes specifically for torso speed and mech turning speed. A big issue is that a lot of mechs have terrible breaks now which might make you overshoot your spot when peeking or something. Same for acceleration, it might take forever to get to max speed. Hard Break and Kinetic Burst nodes can improve these stats by up to 24.5%.

Most people generally will prefer survival (more armor), but sometimes it's just too annoying to deal with mechslugs just for an extra +5 to +8 armor on each component. On my Scorch I've completely dumped the survival tree and filled out the agility instead just so I don't feel like I'm playing a submarine stuck in quicksand.

It still won't be as snappy as before, but filling out the tree can give you a 25% to 30% improvement on it.

Using the Full stop key can help you brake faster than the S aka reverse key

#7 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:17 AM

View PostElizander, on 30 December 2020 - 05:41 AM, said:

My Catapult accelerates really fast and tops out at almost 80kph. It stops on a dime and otherwise feels like it use to back in the day. It's just the damn torso twist feels like $hit.

Where or how do I level up the skills tree? There is a lot more depth to this game now. I feel totally lost.

I think I have a lot of points that I got back for some reason that I can put into skills? Sooooo lost and sooooo want to play!

Edited by NoxMorbis, 30 December 2020 - 10:18 AM.

#8 Vlad Ward

• The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 11:31 AM

Back when you used to play, Mech Mobility (twist rate, turn rate, accel/decel) used to be tied to Engine size. That is no longer the case. Your Catapult now has a fixed level of Mobility that can only be buffed by Skills.

You can find the Skill Tree by going to Mechlab >>> Skills

The tree itself has 239 nodes divided into 7 categories. Only 91 of these nodes can be active at a time, and must be unlocked with SP. If you had historical EXP on your Catapult, you will be able to convert that historical EXP into SP (91 points if you had Mastered the chassis before).

Feel free to play around with the nodes. SP won't be spent until you hit the "Apply Changes" button on the top right.

Edited by Vlad Ward, 30 December 2020 - 11:32 AM.

#9 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 30 December 2020 - 12:04 PM

View PostNoxMorbis, on 30 December 2020 - 10:17 AM, said:

My Catapult accelerates really fast and tops out at almost 80kph. It stops on a dime and otherwise feels like it use to back in the day. It's just the damn torso twist feels like $hit.

Where or how do I level up the skills tree? There is a lot more depth to this game now. I feel totally lost.

I think I have a lot of points that I got back for some reason that I can put into skills? Sooooo lost and sooooo want to play!

The skill tree is in Loadouts/Skills when you select your mech. You allocate it by using XP, General XP or SP/GSP (skill points). The whole menu is rather confusing and it's better to sit down and slowly read what you have before diving in. That said, there are sites to simulate it so you don't waste your points

This is the skill calculator I use: https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/

You can allocate points and see your total bonuses before touching anything in-game. Check if your mech(s) has Historic XP or SP, use those first. These are the things you acquired before the change and there's no point letting it sit there.

When you 'buy' skill points, you can get the XP from various sources (history, current) or transfer GSP/HSP. Skill points are used to unlock the nodes so you might actually need more than 91 if you want to swap between several configurations on your mech.

Just a note. Most of the time, mechs feel 'fine' after 40-60 skill points so you might not have to worry about maxing everything out right away.

Edited by Elizander, 30 December 2020 - 12:07 PM.

#10 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 30 December 2020 - 01:49 PM

View PostNoxMorbis, on 30 December 2020 - 10:17 AM, said:

Check out this section in the wiki. https://wiki.mwomerc...itle=Skill_Tree
I'm reading it now and there is one change that wasn't updated--there is no cost to re-equip nodes you purchased but deselected before. It used to be 400 XP.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 30 December 2020 - 01:53 PM.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 02:52 PM

there was also engine desync. you no longer get more mobility out of a bigger engine.

wrt skill tree, depending on how much you leveled your stuff last time you played and number of modules you owned, you might have gotten a lot of historic skill points and general skill points, historic xp and gxp, which you can allocate to unlock nodes. you can only unlock 91 at a time so don't allocate more than that.

Edited by LordNothing, 30 December 2020 - 03:01 PM.

#12 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:00 PM

I think the first thing I need to do, besides going to the hospital because my eyes are bleeding trying to read the small text in the login/setup screens, is to get my xp read to go. I have no idea how all of the variable XPs fit together in order to convert or use them.
  • In my profile, it says I have Posted Image 15,663,155
  • General XP: 79,807
  • in the refund ledger it says: Refund from Pilot Nodes Posted Image 15,000, Refund from Modules (GSP) Posted Image 267
  • Other than those entries, I have no other points.
  • When I quit, I owned 15 mechs.It says they are all equipped with 91 points--what ever that means.
I think that's it. How do I use this stuff? Do I need to convert anything/ Etc., etc. So where do I go from here?

#13 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 January 2021 - 12:16 AM

View PostNoxMorbis, on 03 January 2021 - 09:00 PM, said:

I think the first thing I need to do, besides going to the hospital because my eyes are bleeding trying to read the small text in the login/setup screens, is to get my xp read to go. I have no idea how all of the variable XPs fit together in order to convert or use them.
  • in the refund ledger it says: Refund from Pilot Nodes Posted Image 15,000, Refund from Modules (GSP) Posted Image 267
  • When I quit, I owned 15 mechs.It says they are all equipped with 91 points--what ever that means.
I think that's it. How do I use this stuff? Do I need to convert anything/ Etc., etc. So where do I go from here?

• GXP - This is XP that can be used for all mechs.
  • GSP - These are skill points that can be used for all mechs.
  • XP - XP that can be used on your current mech. Each mech has its own XP total.
  • Histpiral XP - This is old XP your mech had and can be used. It's XP you earned with the mech in the past and can only be used for that mech.
You can allocate a total of 91 skill points per mech, but each node requires a one-time unlock where you spend XP/GXP/HSP + C-bills or GSP. If you unlock 91 nodes on a mech skill tree, but want to change it up, you will still have to pay for nodes that are still locked. Once you have most of the nodes you want unlocked, it will cost nothing to change your skill tree setup.

Here is an example of what a 91 point skill tree might look like for a UAC mech.

Posted Image

Link to Skill Tree Calculator - https://kitlaan.gitl...00000#s=Weapons

Edited by Elizander, 04 January 2021 - 12:20 AM.

#14 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 January 2021 - 12:38 AM

1) Select your mech and click on Skills to access the skill tree

Posted Image

2) Allocate the skill points you want (up to 91) among the various skill trees available for your mech. Click on a node and it should light up if you activate it. If there is a padlock, it means the node is unlocked and it will cost GSP or XP + Cbills to unlock. If it is not locked, you can activate it later at any time at no additional cost.

Posted Image

3) The number of skill points you will need to buy will be marked in red. In the right side menu, you can "Add SP" or "Buy SP to buy these skill points with your XP or GSP.

Posted Image

4) Select what resource to use to buy the SP you need. You can combine GSP/GXP/SP/HSP to get the total points you need. Just click on the +/- on each resource. GXP/XP/HSP will cost 45,000 c-bills per SP. Click on the left area for GSP and the right area if you want to use XP/GXP/HSP.

Posted Image

5) Buy the appropriate number of SP for the resources you want to spend and click ok.

Posted Image

#15 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 January 2021 - 10:34 AM

View PostElizander, on 04 January 2021 - 12:38 AM, said:

2) Allocate the skill points you want (up to 91) among the various skill trees available for your mech. Click on a node and it should light up if you activate it. If there is a padlock, it means the node is unlocked and it will cost GSP or XP + Cbills to unlock. If it is not locked, you can activate it later at any time at no additional cost.

3) The number of skill points you will need to buy will be marked in red. In the right side menu, you can "Add SP" or "Buy SP to buy these skill points with your XP or GSP.

4) Select what resource to use to buy the SP you need. You can combine GSP/GXP/SP/HSP to get the total points you need. Just click on the +/- on each resource. GXP/XP/HSP will cost 45,000 c-bills per SP. Click on the left area for GSP and the right area if you want to use XP/GXP/HSP.

5) Buy the appropriate number of SP for the resources you want to spend and click ok.

Thanks for all of that information. Am I right to assume that in order to get the skills you want, you have to buy ones you don't want in order to get 'down the tree?"

Also, I've never seen the points dialogue boxes you posted. When do they become available?

So, I should use XP or Hist XP first, that the mech has on it, right? I think all my mechs say 72, 000. Will that get me very far?

Last, how come your images are so big? Is that how it looks on your monitor? If so, how do I increase mine. for F***s sake, I'm going blind trying to read it!

Edited by NoxMorbis, 04 January 2021 - 10:36 AM.

#16 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 January 2021 - 11:51 AM

View PostNoxMorbis, on 04 January 2021 - 10:34 AM, said:

Thanks for all of that information. Am I right to assume that in order to get the skills you want, you have to buy ones you don't want in order to get 'down the tree?"

Also, I've never seen the points dialogue boxes you posted. When do they become available?

So, I should use XP or Hist XP first, that the mech has on it, right? I think all my mechs say 72, 000. Will that get me very far?

Last, how come your images are so big? Is that how it looks on your monitor? If so, how do I increase mine. for F***s sake, I'm going blind trying to read it!

You have to follow the connected nodes. You can't skip a node even if you don't want it.

All the dialogue boxes I posted are in the skill section of your mech.

HSP > XP > GXP is what I'd recommend. 800XP + 45,000 C-bills = 1 SP. 72,000 HSP/XP will get you 90.

If your UI is too hard to read then lower your game resolution to like 1080p to set your skills then return to whatever higher resolution you use to play. PGI in all their wisdom though that they didn't need to scale the UI to higher resolutions. Nevermind that people who game at 4K probably have more disposable income than people who game at 1080p.

Edited by Elizander, 04 January 2021 - 11:52 AM.

#17 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 12:00 PM

View PostNoxMorbis, on 04 January 2021 - 10:34 AM, said:

sometimes its cheaper to go through a node you done need than to get to the node you want in a roundabout way. but it happens with surprising rarity.

#18 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,068 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 01:29 PM

View PostElizander, on 04 January 2021 - 12:38 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

glossed over the hxp a bit. thats the thing i tend to use if i dont have any hsp on the mech, before i start dipping into gxp and gsp. in this example there is enough there to master the mech.

#19 Adette

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Silver Champ
  • WC 2018 Silver Champ
  • 76 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 08:57 PM

View PostNoxMorbis, on 03 January 2021 - 09:00 PM, said:

If it says your mechs all have 91 pts, then you can just allocate those 91 pts without having to use any historical XP, or pay any cbills.

#20 NoxMorbis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:45 PM

Hey guys, just thanks for all of this.

As far as scaling goes and the eye torturous scaling, I was using a 1080 24" monitor, and it was the same thing--eyes bleeding. I know it wold be bigger on my 32" at 1080, but do you all just increase the restore to where you need it to actually see, and then move it back to native when you play?

If anything needs fixing in this game, man, it is this scaling issue. It seriously pushes me away from the game knowing each time I have to deal with it. I'm pretty certain I'm not the only one who feels this way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users