Micro Laser As Energy Mg (Poll)

4 replies to this topic

Poll: Make Micro Lasers to energy MG (18 member(s) have cast votes)

"MG" ER Micro Laser

1. Yes (6 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. No (12 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

"MG" Micro Pulse Laser

1. Yes (13 votes [72.22%])

Percentage of vote: 72.22%

2. No (5 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:13 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 05 August 2017 - 04:11 AM, said:

Personally, I never saw any good reason to use the Micro Laser.

For it's tonnage, damage is actually okay. But then we get that it's just 0.25 tons and 0.50 tons, so the praise is kind of moot.

As a light, while i can sneak behind enemies, i can always just poke from a distance. 6x ERML ACH ala War_glaivez and ****. As a heavier mech, i'd go for better weapons instead. If i went Nova, i'd rather go with 12x ERSL.

So here's a strange idea, what if the ER Micro Lasers and Micro Pulse Lasers act like machine-guns? Basically you can just continuously shoot a beam to your heart's desire, and it would also have good crit value.

C-ER Micro Laser

Optimal Range: 150m
Max Range: 300m

Damage: 0.12
Rate of Fire: 8
DPS: 0.96
Heat/Shot: 0.07125
Heat/Sec: 0.57

C-Micro Pulse Laser

Optimal Range: 90m
Max Range: 180m

Damage: 0.162
Rate of Fire: 8
DPS: 1.296
Heat/Shot: 0.10125
Heat/Sec: 0.81

What do you think?

Edited by The6thMessenger, 05 August 2017 - 04:14 AM.

#2 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:08 AM

I like the idea of constant beam, but I think the values probably need to be adjusted somewhat. (don't ask me how, I haven't the inclination to math this particular problem right now)

#3 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,241 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

The micro laser an light active Probe were designed for battle armor and later for Protomechs to save weight and space. the Light active probe was avalible 2900 looong before the invasion the micro lasers were created in 3060 by Smoke Jaguar for their Protomechs, and battle armor as they were running out of resources. THe micro lasers were never really designed for Battlemechs to be honest.

The Ironic lore here is that the smoke jaguar clan did little to any mining of their own instead 'raiding' other clans under trials to get the materials they needed.

Edited by KursedVixen, 05 August 2017 - 11:46 AM.

#4 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:36 AM

It would be strange to have Pulse Lasers behave like ER lasers, so in my opinion only the micro pulse laser could make sense as an energy-mg.

I would love to use that, but some mechs could become OP. You would have an MLX with virtually 12 MGs, a Viper with 11 and an ACH with 10. This is probably too powerful at backstabbing, people already have problems dealing with 8 Mgs...

Currently i already see uses for both lasers, for example they are a viable choice as backup-weapons on ammunition-dependent mechs with lots of energy hardpoints like the Huntsman (you can do 5xMissile + 5xEnergy).

Edited by Daggett, 30 August 2017 - 07:37 AM.

#5 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 07:59 PM

Good concept but having a laser act like a machine gun with infinite ammo and with low heat nearly on par with ballistics is a bit weird especially when there isn't really a jam chance. There needs to be a caveat to not make the weapon overpowered on existing mechs and future mechs.

If your concept was incorporated alongside having a charge effect like the Gauss rifle that would allow a tactical need instead of just a constant meat-head run and gun weapon with barely any drawbacks. So, if you charge up the Micro Pulse laser and it shoots constantly until the charge runs out, I think it would be a good weapon with characteristics to have people take a second look at the weapon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users