79 replies to this topic

#1 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:37 PM

If these 10-20k view counts are of any indication:

Posted Image

Of course, some of the viewers are not players but who knows how many of them are.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:39 PM

It's ugh... stable. https://steamdb.info.../342200/graphs/

Slight increase from a couple of months ago.

Edited by El Bandito, 06 August 2017 - 12:08 AM.

#3 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:28 AM

According to that chart, if you double the Steam players number (I don't play from Steam) then you'll get about 2000 players.

I guess that means that a ton of non players read the forum because those threads that I posted were created not too long ago. I wonder why?

#4 Ruslan Savelyev

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:41 AM

You can just look at the bottom end of the leaderboard to see how many are playing. Game has been stable at around 30,000 active accounts per month for the last 4+ months. I just sort by average match score and search for a couple of pilots who I have found stay reliably below 70. From there just click your way down to the stragglers who sit at roughly 55 average match score, and that ends up being as low as is possible.

#5 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:51 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 06 August 2017 - 01:28 AM, said:

According to that chart, if you double the Steam players number (I don't play from Steam) then you'll get about 2000 players.

I guess that means that a ton of non players read the forum because those threads that I posted were created not too long ago. I wonder why?

Because the forums, like with many online games, are a divisive abomination (though better than others...) and the players that do brave their murky, fetid depths (like myself) often like to read when they aren't logged into the game to catch up on the doin's a-transpirin'.

I have a reasonably healthy circle of friends playing the game, and very, very few of them frequent the forums. The average casual player probably doesn't feel comfortable weighing in on your typical forum topic, when making observations on the game is often akin to slathering yourself in rendered duck fat and going for a nudie run across your average African Savannah. Unless you know enough to defend yourself, you're meat.

There's no room for the meek in no man's land.

#6 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:29 AM

View PostRuslan Savelyev, on 06 August 2017 - 01:41 AM, said:

You can just look at the bottom end of the leaderboard to see how many are playing. Game has been stable at around 30,000 active accounts per month for the last 4+ months. I just sort by average match score and search for a couple of pilots who I have found stay reliably below 70. From there just click your way down to the stragglers who sit at roughly 55 average match score, and that ends up being as low as is possible.

Then it means that Steam players coccupy a small percentage of the player base.

#7 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:46 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 06 August 2017 - 02:29 AM, said:

Then it means that Steam players coccupy a small percentage of the player base.

Most of my peeps still run the old launcher - probably with the same install since beta, heh.

Took me ages to upgrade to steam - and I only did after I ruined my install trying to get a test build to work once.

I guess only PG know the real counts, and they've been loath to share that info since the old player count was removed from the game.

#8 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:02 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 05 August 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

If these 10-20k view counts are of any indication:

Posted Image

Also those forum views can be a smaller number viewing multiple times.
If I participate in a topic and click it over 5 days, that's 5 views though only by 1 person.
Views on topics means nothing.

#9 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:08 AM

View PostKiiyor, on 06 August 2017 - 02:46 AM, said:

Took me ages to upgrade to steam - and I only did after I ruined my install trying to get a test build to work once.

Many people, including me, will never 'upgrade' to steam as long as there is any other way to run the game.

#10 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:12 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 06 August 2017 - 03:02 AM, said:

Also those forum views can be a smaller number viewing multiple times.
If I participate in a topic and click it over 5 days, that's 5 views though only by 1 person.
Views on topics means nothing.

Are you really sure that's how it works?

It did occur to me before creating this thread so I tried to increase another thread's view count multiple times and it didn't work. Maybe the forum updates periodically so I didn't notice it.

#11 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:10 AM

View PostRuslan Savelyev, on 06 August 2017 - 01:41 AM, said:

Now compare that to War Thunder, where 30,000 people concurrently playing is considered a slow day.

#12 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:51 AM

I wouldn't go by Steam, or forum view counts for numbers. The Leaderboard numbers give a better window in how well things are going.

Kudos to VirtualRiot and Jman5 for getting the player numbers in this thread together:
https://mwomercs.com...280-of-players/

Based on that:
10 games or more
S13 - 34,043 - July
S12 - 31,552 - June
S11 - 33,727 - May
S10 - 33,105 - April
S9 - 33,672 - March
S8 - 34,663 - Feb
S7 - 38,102 - Jan
S6 - 41,048 - Dec
S5 - 35,390 - Nov
S4 - 37,041 - Oct
S3 - 35,798 - Sept
S2 - 38,077 - August
S1 - 42,961 - June&July

You can confirm the last two seasons numbers, and the first season, if you don't believe what you see,
Season 1 - 42,961 - bottom player with 10 games - [Redacted]
Season 12 - 31552 - bottom player - [Redacted]
Season 13 - 34042 - bottom player - [Redacted]

NOTE: I'm providing names not as name-and-shame, but because they don't have a 'GoTo End' or 'GoToBeginning' buttons. Requiring you to hit 'Next' many times to get to the end. Didn't feel like clicking forever to confirm Jman's findings for the other seasons.

Seeing a trend in active players? That is, if you consider 10 games in a month as and "Active" player.

Edited by McValium, 07 August 2017 - 02:15 AM.
The individual names are not important to the discussion

#13 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:03 AM

Those numbers in tens of thousands at events look pretty good.

But I don't know how much PGI's operating cost per month is.

#14 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:51 AM

View PostKodiakGW, on 06 August 2017 - 07:51 AM, said:

NOTE: I'm providing names not as name-and-shame, but because they don't have a 'GoTo End' or 'GoToBeginning' buttons. Requiring you to hit 'Next' many times to get to the end. Didn't feel like clicking forever to confirm Jman's findings for the other seasons.

You could provide the page number in the query string...

#15 SuomiWarder

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,661 posts
  • LocationSacramento area, California

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:45 AM

I read the forums almost everyday, but only play for a few hours a month. I check the forums to follow any changes that might make we want to play more often or spend money on the game.

#16 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

I've played for a while and i dont even know what seasons are, do, represent or signify.....

#17 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

View PostAlcom Isst, on 06 August 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

You could provide the page number in the query string...

Wow. So that is what you get out of this thread.

Just, wow. You are the type of person that is the reason why I made that disclaimer. SJW

#18 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

View PostKodiakGW, on 06 August 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

Wow. So that is what you get out of this thread.

No?

You okay dude? You like exploded all over my post.

#19 shadowcat67

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

Season are for the Leaderboard, you can see off your profile on the MWO webpage.
Also you can look at the page number in the web address and change that to get to the end faster than hitting next

#20 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:35 PM

View PostKodiakGW, on 06 August 2017 - 07:51 AM, said:

I wouldn't go by Steam, or forum view counts for numbers. The Leaderboard numbers give a better window in how well things are going.

Kudos to VirtualRiot and Jman5 for getting the player numbers in this thread together:
https://mwomercs.com...280-of-players/

Based on that:
10 games or more
S13 - 34,043 - July
S12 - 31,552 - June
S11 - 33,727 - May
S10 - 33,105 - April
S9 - 33,672 - March
S8 - 34,663 - Feb
S7 - 38,102 - Jan
S6 - 41,048 - Dec
S5 - 35,390 - Nov
S4 - 37,041 - Oct
S3 - 35,798 - Sept
S2 - 38,077 - August
S1 - 42,961 - June&July

You can confirm the last two seasons numbers, and the first season, if you don't believe what you see,
Season 1 - 42,961 - bottom player with 10 games - [Redacted]
Season 12 - 31552 - bottom player - [Redacted]
Season 13 - 34042 - bottom player - [Redacted]

Seeing a trend in active players? That is, if you consider 10 games in a month as and "Active" player.

These seem about right and are higher by about 5-10 k on my own estimates using the leader boards.

I wish we could see how many people play say 50 games a month and see the drop off, between completely casual player and those that are investing a fair bit of time, but it's not to important, because it's the amount of people spending money that ultimately matters.

What it does do is completely shoot down steam as a credible source, so people need to stop using it

Edited by McValium, 07 August 2017 - 02:18 AM.
Quote cleanup

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users