79 replies to this topic

#21 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

View Postshadowcat67, on 06 August 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

Season are for the Leaderboard, you can see off your profile on the MWO webpage.
Also you can look at the page number in the web address and change that to get to the end faster than hitting next

So its just an epeen kill sheet that doesnt actually amount to anything of use? i can see why i've not heard of it then. The word "Season" normally would imply some form of reward/ranking system of substance but it just looks like some hollow stats thrown down for no apparant reason?

#22 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:35 PM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 06 August 2017 - 03:08 AM, said:

Many people, including me, will never 'upgrade' to steam as long as there is any other way to run the game.

Being anti-Steam is not rational in the year 2017. It played a large part in the resurgence of PC gaming after the dark ages of the early 2000s.

Unified ecosystem, friend list, decent sales etc. I am not demanding people adopt the platform but I do ask that they explain their mental calculus when making that choice.

#23 A Really Old Clan Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 302 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:41 PM

View PostHit the Deck, on 06 August 2017 - 01:28 AM, said:

According to that chart, if you double the Steam players number (I don't play from Steam) then you'll get about 2000 players.

I guess that means that a ton of non players read the forum because those threads that I posted were created not too long ago. I wonder why?

Well I bought a Mad cat MK II set. On one of the Mechs when I had ran just 2 runs of about 400 damage each during the event, my leaderboard puts me put me at a rank of 985. So that's at least 985 people that have purchased the base mech package and I dont think half the playing population bought that one mech.
This is my deathstrike which I just started, rank 299. so at least several hundred bought the hero mad cat alone. 299 Posted Image DrVoodooAUS 1,061

Overall I think the population is far more than 2000 players. Either that or a very high percentage purchase regularly.

Ill try the madcat 1 tonight for 1 mission and see what rank i get.

#24 Thorqemada

• 6,368 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

I like to have full ownership of my games thus i mostly buy at GoG.com (~80 games) and as little as possible on Steam (~15 games), when they have no GoG Option.
Though i found i am pretty disapointed with my latest games like Civ VI and FM17 i may simply stop buying them.

MWO is a nice stand alone product that does not need to be linked with Steam so i dont - time will tell how MW5 goes and Battletech comes as GoG-game to me.

#25 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:00 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 August 2017 - 09:39 PM, said:

It's ugh... stable. https://steamdb.info.../342200/graphs/

Slight increase from a couple of months ago.

Thats the thing with all games which started outside of steam.

Why do i want to use steam if i can just download from main page??

also 26k isnt that bad, it doesnt blow the mind but ive seen games scrape by with lower player count.

Edited by davoodoo, 06 August 2017 - 04:02 PM.

#26 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:56 PM

View PostMystere, on 06 August 2017 - 07:10 AM, said:

Now compare that to War Thunder, where 30,000 people concurrently playing is considered a slow day.

Last semester we were studying League of Legends as a model for micro-sales schemes and Blue Ocean Strategies and they routinely have 1.2 million players on line at any one time during the day..... Their entire workforce are active players.

1.2 million.....

I'll wager that we have less than 1200 players that are actively playing this game round the clock.. It is not unusal to have 3 to 5 EU and OC players on the NA servers.

Other games, besides LoL have tens of thousands on-line fulltime.

Maybe, PGI should think about its niche a little more seriously.

???

#27 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

View PostAsym, on 06 August 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

Last semester we were studying League of Legends as a model for micro-sales schemes and Blue Ocean Strategies and they routinely have 1.2 million players on line at any one time during the day..... Their entire workforce are active players.

1.2 million.....

I'll wager that we have less than 1200 players that are actively playing this game round the clock.. It is not unusal to have 3 to 5 EU and OC players on the NA servers.

???

You're going to have to show me a reference for that 1.2 million number ... because that is absolutely astounding!

Edited by Mystere, 06 August 2017 - 06:06 PM.

#28 Chagatay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 964 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:59 PM

View PostMystere, on 06 August 2017 - 06:06 PM, said:

You're going to have to show me a reference for that 1.2 million number ... because that is absolutely astounding!

I thought that number looked a little low it is probably closer to 12 million. The 7.5 million figure is from the WSJ is probably very accurate and they report more monthly user numbers now. As to Riot's internal metrics, well you'd need to take it up with them. LoL is a behemoth.

Wiki:
As of January 2014, over 67 million people played League of Legends per month, 27 million per day, and over 7.5 million concurrently during peak hours.[4] League has among the largest footprints of any game in streaming media communities on platforms such as YouTube and Twitch.tv; it routinely ranks first in the most-watched hours.[5][6] In September 2016 the company estimated that there are over 100 million active players each month.[7][8] The game's popularity has led it to expand into merchandise, with toys, accessories, apparel, as well as tie-ins to other media through music videos, web series, documentaries, and books.

Edited by Chagatay, 06 August 2017 - 07:02 PM.

#29 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:50 AM

I wonder how much active players (not accounts but players) should MWO have for the MM to work properly? To match T1s with T1s and T5s with T5s?

Right now, it feels like the Civil War patch brought a small amount of players back, but it's still not enough.. we still get horribly mismatched.. and not to mention the group que and FP are a seal-clubbing area..

#30 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:44 AM

View PostAsym, on 06 August 2017 - 04:56 PM, said:

1.2 million.....

???

People deride PGI for churning out mechs and not maps, but 90% of League of Legends matches are played on ONE map. :P

#31 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:55 AM

Well last time i remember riot told us that they have 60 mil active players...

so i would love to see some independent numbers on all claims for lol.

Edited by davoodoo, 07 August 2017 - 01:56 AM.

#32 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:38 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 August 2017 - 01:44 AM, said:

People deride PGI for churning out mechs and not maps, but 90% of League of Legends matches are played on ONE map. Posted Image

But that is a GOOD map Posted Image
And the game in itself offers way more depth than MWO so they get away with it. Both genres are just not comparable.

#33 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:58 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 06 August 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

Being anti-Steam is not rational in the year 2017. It played a large part in the resurgence of PC gaming after the dark ages of the early 2000s.

Unified ecosystem, friend list, decent sales etc. I am not demanding people adopt the platform but I do ask that they explain their mental calculus when making that choice.

Yes it is.
- Steam makes you put more of a load on your computer since you have to run the Steam Client AND the program.
- Steam Forums are not the best in design.
- MWO on Steam does not allow access to PTS as Portal does.
Only reason I got a Steam account is to play one free game that is now no longer supported and because BT Beta is only done there.

#34 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:55 AM

You wrongly assume the default position is going to steam without giving the reason to do so...

#35 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:20 AM

Steam sucks, plain and simple. Every 3rd-party application that is needed to run your games should be avoided. They put you under tutelage piece by piece without you noticing or caring about it. That's excatly why we today have games that only work when you are online, because people just accept it instead of boycotting stuff like that.
A great example why Steam sucks: Some time ago they released a patch for Europa Universalis that was incompatible with all older savegames, meaning that after you installed it, you couldn't load your saves any longer and had to start from scratch. And they provided no option to not install the patch, it was forced on the user. Granted, you can still play older versions of the game, but one has to google that first and find it hidden in some options in the Steam client, and you have to download the old data again to make it work. Steam sucks, because it forces things on you and takes away your choices. I want to decide on my own when and what patches I'll install.

#36 RussianWolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationWV

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:55 AM

View PostKodiakGW, on 06 August 2017 - 07:51 AM, said:

I wouldn't go by Steam, or forum view counts for numbers. The Leaderboard numbers give a better window in how well things are going.

Kudos to VirtualRiot and Jman5 for getting the player numbers in this thread together:
https://mwomercs.com...280-of-players/

Based on that:
10 games or more
S13 - 34,043 - July
S12 - 31,552 - June
S11 - 33,727 - May
S10 - 33,105 - April
S9 - 33,672 - March
S8 - 34,663 - Feb
S7 - 38,102 - Jan
S6 - 41,048 - Dec
S5 - 35,390 - Nov
S4 - 37,041 - Oct
S3 - 35,798 - Sept
S2 - 38,077 - August
S1 - 42,961 - June&July

You can confirm the last two seasons numbers, and the first season, if you don't believe what you see,
Season 1 - 42,961 - bottom player with 10 games - [Redacted]
Season 12 - 31552 - bottom player - [Redacted]
Season 13 - 34042 - bottom player - [Redacted]

NOTE: I'm providing names not as name-and-shame, but because they don't have a 'GoTo End' or 'GoToBeginning' buttons. Requiring you to hit 'Next' many times to get to the end. Didn't feel like clicking forever to confirm Jman's findings for the other seasons.

Seeing a trend in active players? That is, if you consider 10 games in a month as and "Active" player.

yeah that 10 matches minimum was set to get the epeen seekers off the board. people who would play an alt account with 1 metamech 1 match, get 3000 dmg and 10 kills then stop playing the account so that their ranking looked inflated.

I did it assuming 60 matches per season. Here's the numbers I got

Season players with minimum 60 matches
1................23639 (we know this season was longer so may be inflated)
14..............4725 (incomplete season)

Otherwise looks pretty stable at about 18-19k

Edited by RussianWolf, 07 August 2017 - 08:59 AM.

#37 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:09 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 07 August 2017 - 01:44 AM, said:

People deride PGI for churning out mechs and not maps, but 90% of League of Legends matches are played on ONE map. Posted Image

And yet its vastly more popular than MWO and numerous other titles, while we sit here begging for simple things over many years that we dont or will never get... instead we will get mechs, mechs and more mechs because those = ££/$$ rather than fun/playability/popularity, instead just stagnating with an aged and confusing game engine.

#38 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

View PostMethanoid, on 07 August 2017 - 10:09 AM, said:

And yet its vastly more popular than MWO and numerous other titles, while we sit here begging for simple things over many years that we dont or will never get... instead we will get mechs, mechs and more mechs because those = ££/$$ rather than fun/playability/popularity, instead just stagnating with an aged and confusing game engine.

dont wanna be that guy but mechwarrior in 2013 would always have had mass appeal of child murder...

sure it could be fixed but not unless it had half billion budget for marketing.

Edited by davoodoo, 07 August 2017 - 10:38 AM.

#39 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,577 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:26 AM

View PostRedDragon, on 07 August 2017 - 05:20 AM, said:

A great example why Steam sucks: Some time ago they released a patch for Europa Universalis that was incompatible with all older savegames, meaning that after you installed it, you couldn't load your saves any longer and had to start from scratch. And they provided no option to not install the patch, it was forced on the user. Granted, you can still play older versions of the game, but one has to google that first and find it hidden in some options in the Steam client, and you have to download the old data again to make it work. Steam sucks, because it forces things on you and takes away your choices. I want to decide on my own when and what patches I'll install.

That sounds like a Developer not understanding the concept of CD (continuous delivery) or making non-passive changes, not an issue with automatic updates. In short, stop blaming Steam for bad development practices.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 07 August 2017 - 10:27 AM.

#40 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:43 PM

That figure is massively incorrect.

The game had already 27 million players daily in 2014. That was back in 2014.

https://en.wikipedia...ague_of_Legends

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users