- - - - -

Heatsink Questions

6 replies to this topic

#1 Its my first day

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:36 PM

I've read a few places that the heatsinks in the engine cool twice as much as the ones outside it. Is this true? If so, in some situations you can remove two double heatsinks, go up an engine size, put a double HS in the engine, and you've got equal cooling? And the cooling rate you're given in the mechlab is wrong for ignoring this?

Also, is one double heatsink as irrelevant as the numbers in the mechlab make it out to be-- something like .2 cooling per HS?

Edited by Its my first day, 07 August 2017 - 08:06 PM.

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

Single heatsinks are useless except in very specific circumstances. They cool at .1 per sec.

The heatsinks in your engine are true doubles. They cool at .2 per sec You can get a max of ten. The smallest engine with 10 is the 250 size.

The heatisnks you equip in the mechlab cool at .14 per sec.

Edited by Roughneck45, 07 August 2017 - 08:16 PM.

#3 Its my first day

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

Sorry, I meant double in all the cases, when I said "single" I meant a single double heatsink, I'll edit to clarify that.

So you do get extra cooling from engine heatsinks, but its 2x, where as a normal double heatsink is 1.4x?

#4 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:16 PM

View PostIts my first day, on 07 August 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

So you do get extra cooling from engine heatsinks, but its 2x, where as a normal double heatsink is 1.4x?

Yes.

Always take at least a 250 rated engine for the ten true dubs if you can.

#5 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:19 PM

All invisible heatsinks in your engine are true doubles.
After 250 grade engines you get no more of those invisible heatsinks.

A 250+ engine (no heatsinks manually added) cools at 2.0 per second (250 / 25 = 10 invisible heatsinks)

Any engine of 275 or larger has extra space to hide heatsinks in - but they do not count as those invisible heatsinks.

IE
400 engine - no extra heatsinks = 2.0 /sec cooling
400 engine + 6 heatsinks = 2.84 /second cooling

200 engine (needs 2 external heatsinks) = 1.88 /sec cooling

Edit:
In other words - if you have to manually add the heatsink it is not a true double.
Regardless of the size of your engine

Edited by Wence the Wanderer, 07 August 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#6 Its my first day

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:46 PM

Ok, I see. You can stick them in the big engines, but all they do is save space. Thanks guys.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:04 AM

View PostIts my first day, on 07 August 2017 - 07:36 PM, said:

I've read a few places that the heatsinks in the engine cool twice as much as the ones outside it. Is this true? If so, in some situations you can remove two double heatsinks, go up an engine size, put a double HS in the engine, and you've got equal cooling? And the cooling rate you're given in the mechlab is wrong for ignoring this?

Also, is one double heatsink as irrelevant as the numbers in the mechlab make it out to be-- something like .2 cooling per HS?

To note the difference...

Outside of the "invisible" heatsinks...
the "Double" heatsink is 40% more effective than standard... with no skill tree involved.

If you go into the skill tree...
Under "Operations"
"Coolrun" can add a percentage better cooling.
"Heat containment" can add a percentage higher maximum heat.

The old maximums were 15% better cooling and 20% higher maximum heat.

The end result in just cooling alone made all double heatsinks -- up to 15, "Superior" to "double" heatsinks. (They came out per heatsink as above doubles). Up to 17 you'd have exactly doubles, and slightly higher each individually would be slightly lower than double.
(The power of percentage bonuses).

Under the new skill tree it largely depends on your mech weight, as some can go higher than 15% max, and some cannot quite reach 15% on the cool run ability. In some cases, it actually depends on your mech. It also depends on how much you're willing to invest in the Operations tree.

Edited by Koniving, 08 August 2017 - 08:05 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users