162 replies to this topic

#141 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

It seems like many people weren't around at the time, or don't remember that MWO had 8v8 for quite a while before 12v12 was added so we could field a full company. When the game was 8v8 there was less lag, better frame rates (for low-end pcs) and people moved around more.

#142 Der BierVampiR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 432 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 20 August 2017 - 12:09 PM, said:

It seems like many people weren't around at the time, or don't remember that MWO had 8v8 for quite a while before 12v12 was added so we could field a full company. When the game was 8v8 there was less lag, better frame rates (for low-end pcs) and people moved around more.

I wouldn't recommend to design the game to much for low-end pcs. All in all MWO has lost already enough features. Like the down ramming of mechs (hope you know what i mean) and the ik.

#143 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:50 PM

View PostDer BierVampiR, on 20 August 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

I wouldn't recommend to design the game to much for low-end pcs. All in all MWO has lost already enough features. Like the down ramming of mechs (hope you know what i mean) and the ik.

Yes, I want real collisions and knockdowns back too, but I personally feel that the game was better when it was 8v8.

#144 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 06:43 PM

I'd personally prefer 8v8.

#145 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:33 PM

But then the PPFLD was lower then than today's game, which will also mean fewer meatshields between you and your opponents. It is a dang if we do, dang if we dont.

On the other hand, how will the mech diversity change, if any? There has not been any serious discussion on how the pug dynamics might change. How much worse will it be when being dropped with 2 LRM assault boats the the amount of meatshields have been reduced by 33%? There is lot of rosy glasses but then a few here dropped as a group when the queue had both solo pugs and max groups of 4 dropping into the same queue.

I still believe PGI should code it to allow them to change it with the push of a button to enhance Quickplay events by changing group side from 8vs8 to 10vs10 to 12vs12. Essentially, PGI needs to stop hardcoding some things and instead add some flexibility to the game.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 20 August 2017 - 07:35 PM.

#146 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:28 PM

Best podcast yet. By far. The best.

I showed up right at the end just in time to hear it was over. :( Luckily there is youtube. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 20 August 2017 - 08:29 PM.

#147 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:14 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 20 August 2017 - 07:33 PM, said:

But then the PPFLD was lower then than today's game, which will also mean fewer meatshields between you and your opponents. It is a dang if we do, dang if we dont.

On the other hand, how will the mech diversity change, if any? There has not been any serious discussion on how the pug dynamics might change. How much worse will it be when being dropped with 2 LRM assault boats the the amount of meatshields have been reduced by 33%? There is lot of rosy glasses but then a few here dropped as a group when the queue had both solo pugs and max groups of 4 dropping into the same queue.

I still believe PGI should code it to allow them to change it with the push of a button to enhance Quickplay events by changing group side from 8vs8 to 10vs10 to 12vs12. Essentially, PGI needs to stop hardcoding some things and instead add some flexibility to the game.

If they do go through with the 8v8, they will really need to tighten up the matchmaker, because the amount of Assaults on a team will make a bigger difference than it does now. Even with the insanely overpowered MG lights going around right now, the team with the most tonnage on the field usually wins.

Edited by Ed Steele, 20 August 2017 - 09:14 PM.

#148 Frost Lord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 419 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:21 PM

also they could bring back some of the old maps that were actually made for 8v8 like forest colony. also i think it should make match maker better because it should be easier to match players. it will also give a lot back to the light and medium mechs because they will be able to move around more confidently.

Edited by Frost Lord, 20 August 2017 - 10:26 PM.

#149 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:49 PM

the irony is - when the game started in cb i had the same "lousy" then mid-end pc.... and it worked and it was beautiful - then it became ugly but i didn't feel any improvement in game performance, and today with some maps the frame rate is abmysal reminds me on some games during CB - and the FPS is defenitly not a question of PC power but coding (remember the Cicada anyone - those that don't you only need to look in the direction of a Cicada and your FPS dropped to a solid 4!

#150 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:09 AM

Realy not a matter of PC performance.
Those features have been taken away because the way they where implemented interfered with some of the patchwork style bandaides that where implemented to fix various issues with hitreg, mech animation and SERVER/NETCODE performance.

The momentary setback with inverse kinematics or mech incline is due to an interaction of collision scan and HSR that either would tax the servers too much/ increases traffic in a hillarious way.
You can feel the low scanratio when fast mechs run into larger ones trieing to get through a too smal gap between enemy and environment--> causes warping and may cause you to experience beeing hit or feeling the hit long after you passed through the gap.
And since other "realistic" behavior types of mech versus mech (topling, hand to hand combat) would cause the same issues its absolutely unlikely that anything along this lines will ever be implemented again.
It is also the reason why Quad-Mechs or Tripods will never come.

#151 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:04 AM

woah this barrel length, looks supersexy.

#152 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:12 AM

I did not watch this as explained in the first item below. Based on what others say is in the video:

1 Not taking questions from viewers - Duh, they did this during the Town Hall I watched on Twitch just like some RL politicians do. I doubt they will ever take in and answer enough questions to satisfy a number of people, one of the reasons I do not watch anymore.

2 Event System - If client side, what prevents people from altering it? You already have harmless stuff like sound effects client side, people created their own sound packs to replace game sounds. That's not a big deal. What is a deal is if rewards are client side, do players now have the ability to just hack the files getting rewards for no effort?

3 Maps - People complained despite issues on existing maps needing fixes. From the name Crater, it sounds like you are getting Grim Plexus with less stuff to hide around and another big open bowl in the center. Clearly an eSports map. Proud of this? Tourmaline type terrain, sure Tourmaline is not that different from Plexus. HPG feel? doubt it unless somehow they apply multiple levels in a Crater.
"Grey Box City Map" should have players screaming for Test Server to be used to check it. Full blown city means a lot of objects to impact FPS.
1v1 and Solaris maps, expected given eSports direction and focus.

4 8v8 - I do hope PGI is prepared for all the work needed to make this happen, it will take a while it is NOT an easy switch flip, not as easy as some think.

5 Solaris - I say shelve it to a back burner given the load of issues they have in both QP queues, FP and now Comp scene that NEED attention. Given they do not do this, expect Solaris to come out, pull players out of FP then I figure it will slowly die out only leaving Comp players using it.

6 Voice Work - Yeah, good to get someone for it but how about a new Betty to fix issues?

7 Custom Geometry - May have a use for Melee (haha) in the future but now, another way to profit.

8 Loot Crate - means stop opening and selling crates, save them up since there is no limit on how many you can have then under the new system, you get a ton of stuff.

9 Mech Nicknames - I thought we already saw this and variant in the display?

10 Mech Hanger - Why? Allowing putting cockpit items in various sopts (on desk, walls, etc.), yeah but what else is there to do?

11 Public Issues Tracker - Never looked at it.

12 MW5 - Expect it to be compared to MWO.

#153 Grayson Sortek

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 371 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:28 AM

View PostSereglach, on 18 August 2017 - 06:48 PM, said:

Just taking some loose notes as it goes here. I'm trying to keep this as plain an unbiased as possible:

i) - Not intent on taking questions from audience, unless time conveniently permits (not likely with such a "full episode"). Russ said they'll be doing some "Town Hall type meetings" in the future, but for a lot of these things he just wants to update the community on what PGI has been working on. Claims to have a huge pile of stuff to talk about.

ii) - While they didn't talk about it much, it's been stated that large quantities of balance stuff will be coming next month now that the new technology has settled in. (Personally disappointed they didn't talk about it any or address the Flamer questions I posed.)

iii) - First downer: IK -Inverse Kinematics- is dead until further notice. Implementing it in MWO will currently cause massive hitreg issues in the legs and until they have time to address those issues it's not going to happen.

1) - New "EVENT SYSTEM": Pretty much everything from the events that is currently online is going to shift into the client. Supposedly there'll be "no limits" to what they can do for requirements or rewards and supposedly Faction Warfare will benefit the most. It will purportedly eventually support any type of IS vs IS, Clan vs Clan, or smaller and specific IS vs Clan conflicts, as well as any of the current stuff done. This includes everything from "daily events/objectives" like other games have, weekend events, recreating the big month-long events we've recently had, etc.. Many things that they couldn't be done before can now be done and be automated (thusly achieved faster).

Everything will be tracked within the in-game UI and "instantly update" (doubly confirmed by Russ via question as the website needs to pull from the database while the client constantly talks to the database). Currently slated for the first "smaller subset of functionality" to be released in September with "ever expanding support and infinite growth" for what is stated to be a "strong system". According to Russ it'll take several months to get up to speed and build in complexity, capabilities, and what they can do. Russ stated that everything they've talked about in this "Production Update" should be available with the update in September.

2) - NEW MAPS: First new map slated to release in November. Stated that a new map for November needs to be 100% perfect by mid October. First map for release is currently called "Crater" with a Tourmaline type feel in aesthetics, but not much else talked about. It's layout is a mix of Tourmaline desert and HPG type feel. It's a "mid-sized map" that's smaller than Polar Highlands but bigger than Canyon Network. They're trying to take the maps that people vote for the most and take the aspects people enjoy the most for creating new maps.

Second map is in advanced "Grey Box" phase is a . . . get this . . . FULL BLOWN CITY MAP!!! It is slated as a dense urban map with only a few small "parks" to break it up. It's considered a technical challenge, but Russ gave the direction that he demanded a "full blown city, period" with high-rises, skyscrapers, etc.. It will be seen at Mech Con, but might be playable . . . big MAYBE.

Quick anecdote that was mentioned was that there's more work on 1v1 and Solaris style maps. More to be talked about later . . .

3) - 8v8 Quick Play: They've been assessing the feelings of the community, and they're looking at changing QUICK PLAY ONLY back to 8v8 (like it was back in the day for people who've been around a few years). Matches up well with comp play, will have positive impacts on matchmaker and queues. Oceanic and other regions/playtimes will benefit greatly, as well. Creates a solid gameplay dynamic of 4v4 scouting, 8v8 quick play/competitive, and 12v12 faction play in PGI's mind. Should also push larger groups to play in Faction Play as well, and focus the quick play group queue on smaller groups. However, this change is not absolute, and they're encouraging debate and discussion on the forums. They release this is a potentially polarizing and controversial change and want to see the discussions and debates over the potential change. However, making the change is quick and reasonably easy, so whether they flip the switch or not the work isn't going to be done until the decision is made.

4) - Solaris: PGI is going to be bringing Solaris to MWO. It will be a "legitimate full featured game mode in MWO that will be equal to if not bigger than Faction Play". Russ emphasizes that it should feel bigger than Faction Play as a fleshed out feature. It is designed to be 1v1 and 2v2 match sizes. It will have all of its own unique small maps created specifically for the small match sizes.

It will play out in seasons. Players come in and take on a "Patron" with whom they'll fight under. They'll move through tiers of divisions as they play out matches. Requirements for mechs should match comp play, but you can play ANY available mech you want in a match (not weight limited or matched).

Mechs will also be categorized into 7 divisions based on the variants themselves. As an example a "Division 1" mech variant will be the top tier variants of mechs for sheer min-max performance. The mech you play will control what division you play in; and the mechs within that division won't necessarily be based purely on tonnage. As a note that was talked about later, the divisions that mechs are put into might eventually be used for standard quick play matchmaking instead of just looking at tonnage . . . therefore matches won't just be "5 assaults vs. 5 assaults", but "5 Division 1 mechs vs. 5 Division 1 mechs". Once the divisions are worked out then they'll start looking into making it happen. Doing such an overhaul, and even creating the divisions, will be a herculean task that will need a large committee (potentially including a variety of player reps) to create the divisions over much debate.

Players, as they increase in fame, will gain patron reputation and fame, which in turn improves their contractual rewards. In addition, they'll need to gain sponsors. All of these things will work in conjunction to control your rewards. Higher performance = higher rewards.

Matchmaking will be done via "leaderboard" ELO. You also won't need to register teams or anything like that. Group with who you want and drop. The Matchmaker will then sort you by ELO and the division of your mech. ELO adjustments for win/loss will be based on the highest ELO player in the match.

There will be a public spectator mode for the Solaris matches. 30-40 spectators "should" be able to spectate each match. It will, however, have limitations, which remained unspecified. There will NOT be any sort of instant replay feature, as well.

5) - Maps take 2 . . . Solaris maps: There will be the Boreal Reach map, the Jungle map, and the Steiner Coliseum minimum at release. The maps will be faction based, and they want to get around to making all of the official 5 Solaris faction coliseums. However, a minimum of 3 should make launch (the 3 previously mentioned). They may get around to making even more maps, but that's not for discussion right now and needs to wait for the future.

6) - Solaris Release:Solaris will be seen for the first time at Mech Con, and release will be happening some time thereafter. It should be the first half of 2018 . . . preferably March/April timeframe . . . aiming for March, but no guarantees.

7) - George Ledoux Question: Russ is entirely open to having George Ledoux aka Duncan Fischer do voice work for the Solaris Game Mode. It's been brought up in design meetings and they'd like to get it to work out, but there's nothing set in stone.

8) - Custom Geometry System: Not just for Solaris, but Russ said they're aiming to have a new system of "bolt-on" custom geometry. For Example: the Centurion could get some kind of cosmetic geometry that would alter the shape or add-on to its shield. These changes would be purely aesthetic, and wouldn't affect the hit boxes, but they're looking at all sorts of things like horns, spikes, crests, and other "badass" add-ons to attach to the mechs. This system would build upon the technology of the decal system for implementation. Again, it's not just for Solaris, but would allow people to customize their mechs for any game mode. Some will be bought for MC, but some will only be available to be acquired via playing in Solaris.

The previous custom geometry of special mechs like the (I)Invasion variants is fixed to those mechs, and won't change. However, they might (obscenely big MAYBE) allow things like, "you own the (I) variant of this mech, so you can now apply that look to your other variants".

9) - Loot Crate Revamp: It's going to be completely revamped. Too much like a "Counterstrike" and completely randomized system. It's going to go to more of an "Overwatch" style system where when you get a crate, you get everything in the crate. The contents of the crates will be completely overhauled to take this into account; and Solaris will have some of its own specific crates. You may also be able to just buy crates outright, like the "Overwatch" system.

10) - Mech Nicknames: Instead of just the mech variant name showing up on the UI, Solaris might bring about the ability to see your assigned nickname in the match when people target you. However, these would also be subject to word filters and obscenity checks . . . so you might want to change your nicknames before Solaris comes out, if needed.

11) - Mech Hangar Changes: The mech hangar is going to get some overhauls. At the very least, there's going to be the ability to drop down as a walking person and look at your mech from ground level; and the hangar needs to be changed to accommodate this. There should hopefully be more functionality that comes in the future (like potentially decorating the hangar), but the only thing Russ is committing to at the start is being able to walk around the hangar and look at your mechs. Other theoretical options could include seeing cockpit items hanging on shelves, connecting to friend's hangars and looking at their stuff (not in multiplayer setting, but just looking at their mechs and stuff).

12) - Future Releases: A lot of resources will be going into the upcoming features, but PGI has been paying close attention to things like the community created "Public Issues Tracker". This will be bringing about a large quantity of polish and bug fixes for future releases. Russ has a Roadmap that's going to be released to the forums after this discussion is over with. Might be the same night, but certainly the next day.

13) - 5 min of Q&A:
13-A) Q1 - Betting in Solaris: not likely to happen, as much as Russ would love it. C-bills can be bought with cash, so even just betting with c-bills turns into a . . . quoting Russ . . . "legal sh*tstorm".

13-B) Q2 - Faction Specific mechs: Events could be done revolving around specific faction based mechs. While they wouldn't deny playing any mechs, they could make it so that you get extra rewards by playing a faction favored mech during the event. They would like to provide incentives to for using faction appropriate mechs in faction based events.

13-C) Q3 - Denying MC only Mechs in Solaris: They may or may not need to be denied in Solaris divisions, since all mechs will be assigned to divisions based on min-max potential performance. Currently PGI is erring on the side of caution by not allowing them, but solid argument has been made to allow any mech in Solaris. Besides, it would remove mechs like the Yen Lo Wang from Solaris, and that seems "stupid" to quote Russ.

13-D) Q4 - Solaris FFA Mode: Not slated to happen any time soon, if ever. It's a technical hurdle that PGI would need to overcome to make happen. Ultimately they brought up a 4vFFA mode, and the engineers said it could be possible but it's a HUGE undertaking. Everything within the game has been programmed for 2 teams, and the game just doesn't comprehend the concept of no teams. HOWEVER, post Solaris release, it could theoretically could be done. Of course, if it happens in Solaris, then an FFA mode theoretically also could make its way into Quick Play modes.

13-E) Q5 - Pilot Customization: It's certainly possible, but at this time Russ has zero intentions of dedicating the resources to make it happen. He's aiming for more "game changing" content to commit resources towards right now. However, that's not saying it couldn't happen in the future. Russ would love to see pilot customizations, hangar customizations, etc. but it'd take time and resources.

13-F) Q6 - Melee: Would love to, but it's an obscene undertaking. Hit reg issues, animation issues, aesthetics, and other factors cause problems. "Never say never" but it's not on the plate anytime soon.

13-G) Q7 - Knockdowns: Still a big issue, but with improvements that have been made recently to collisions it could be made possible. It'd take more resources, but Russ -again- wants those resources dedicated to more game changing content right now.

14) - Mech Con: Wrap-up talking about Mech Con venue. Much bigger and better by having a whole hotel basically dedicated to the event. It should feel more like a full fledged convention. They'll be showing off Solaris stuff, MW5 stuff, other announcements, the tournament, and other items. Catalyst is going to have a much bigger area this time around, and HBS is also going to have an area and hopefully a near-release grade playable product (of course that's Russ talking and not HBS).

15) - MW5: Will be able to be played at Mech Con for the first time. However, PGI is fully committed to both MW5 and MWO. Russ is thrilled over the freedom of control and movement that's already coming together for the gameplay of MW5. He calls it his "dream MechWarrior Mercenaries experience". There will be a lot to talk about with it and show off at Mech Con.

16) - Loyalty Rewards: To be announced in September, as they are every year. Keep your eyes open for that to be posted.

First, thank you so much for taking these notes and posting them for the community, Thank you sir. I took the liberty of numbering your notes so that people can respond to specific points.

i) Fair enough, hopefully PGI will support communication through the forums and increase that communication from their end.

1) I can't believe they listened to the community, this is wonderful news and I hope it turns out to be a great system. PGI, you have a very dedicated player base and we understand that features develop and grow, please feel free to ask for suggestions for these events. Please feel free to test it out and add/remove them based on player feedback, we are very happy to see this system put into place and want to support it as best as we can.

2) This is great news, too bad Death From Above doesn't work =P

3) I don't know how I feel about this, but I can see the mixed reaction from the forums... Thought for PGI. What if you made 8v8 and 12v12 available in the beginning for QP and see which one players go with the most?
I get the idea behind trying to get the big 12 man elite players to go somewhere else other than peeling potatoes like myself, but don't punish said potatoes if they don't want to be stuck in 8v8 unless they find a good unit to get into 12v12. Maybe I'll end up liking 8v8, who knows, but I'd like the option to pick. Use the metrics to figure out what works best, maybe most of your PuGs will go to 8v8 naturally.

7) Solaris is awesome, and I really hope they get George!

9) Interesting direction to go, I look forward to seeing how well it is handled.

10) Oh God, I've used the nicknames to help me organize my inventory... engine-weapons. I'm going to have to go through my whole library and change these so that people don't know what I'm running by just looking at me. Plus I'm going to have to figure out some other way of sorting my 'mechs... PGI, could you help us with this?

11) That would be amazing! Do you think we can start exploring the possibility of gifting 'mechs to friends? Maybe you can put a cap on it to where I can only gift 3 'mechs a month or something. I'm the last of my friends to still play this game, and something tells me if I could gift some of my 'mechs to them then they would start playing again because it would be less of a grind. It doesn't subtract from your earnings because those 'mechs had to be acquired somehow. It would also help vets get newbies into the game and expand your player-base... It also gives us the ability to basically advertise for you.

13-A) Russ is absolutely right, it's not worth the headache.

13-B) That would be awesome! Another way to encourage players to get outside of their comfort zones and do more than grind for c-bills.

13-C) I understand the concern of P2W, but the MC variants aren't really that OP compared to C-Bills... Just look at the Spirit Bear vs the 3.

13-D) Unfortunate but understandable PGI, although it would be the first step on the road to the Grand Melee to win Blood-Names without a sponsor ;)

13-E) Maybe one day, but I'm glad they are focusing on the core of the game.

13-F) I don't blame them on this one, but it would be funny to see an Atlas trying to swat a bunch of lights running circles around him.

13-G) I could see this mechanic being super-exploited... I wouldn't go near it if I were them.

15) Awesome, Russ, buddy, do you think you could throw some of us whales a bone with MW5 to say thank you for supporting us?
Maybe if a person has spent over $____ they get an extra little something for MW5? A cockpit item, a custom camo that can be applied to any 'mech in the game, etc. Something to show players that you reward customers that come back and continue to support you. Hell, maybe do what CD Projekt Red did and give us a discount on MW5 because we've spent over a certain limit in MWO? I'm just suggesting something to delight customers, which will not only bring them back but help convert them into advertisers for you for more potential growth.

Thanks for the updates PGI, thanks for listening to the community, and thank you Sereglach for the detailed notes!

#154 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:22 AM

8. vs. 8.

At the moment the player base is splitted in 7 branches (or more, with the 3 server regions ?):
  • Quickplay Solo
  • Quickplay Groups
  • Faction Warfare Solo Scouting
  • Faction Warfare Solo
  • Faction Warfare Solo Scouting
  • Faction Warfare Group Scouting
  • Comp. Play

So the plan is to go for 6 branches ???:
  • Quickplay Solo 8 vs. 8
  • Quickplay Group 8 Players
  • Faction Warfare Solo Scouting 4 vs 4
  • Faction Warfare Group Scouting 4 vs 4
  • Faction Warfare Group / 12 players
  • Comp. Play

Still didn't solve the problem that the matchmaker has to put players in 2 -10 groups into lances of 4 while considering their tier and their tonnage, and that players in those lances can't communicate before the drop.

IMHO the best solution: Kill Quickplay Solo and restrict group size to 4 / 8 / 12 players.
Go only 6 Friends online to play ? Invite 2 Players from the "looking for group lobby" to make a 8 player group... Add voip to the group window, so that players don't have to invite "strangers" to their teamspeak server.

Let the matchmaker create battles from 4 vs. 4 to 8 vs. 8 to 12 vs. 12 depending on the number of aviable lances.
If only 2 lances are looking for a game the matchmaker can creates ASAP a 4 vs 4, if 3 lances are searching he waits to create a 8 vs 8, and with 5 lances he creates a 12 vs 12.
Yes, that means that PGI will force you to drop as group, and no, I don't think that the player base will like that.
But waiting time for a match will be less, and the players of each Lance will have the chance to coordinate their mechs before entering the matchmaking.

If PGI restricts the groups also by tech or faction each game could be counted as faction play...
(restriction by Faction would be easier,...).

Edited by Alreech, 21 August 2017 - 11:35 AM.

#155 testhero

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 86 posts
  • LocationOrloff, Dutchy of Orloff

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

View PostOdanan, on 16 August 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

Posted Image

EDIT: that's leaving money on the table. If there was PvE in the Private Lobby, I would be playing this game everyday with some (very newbie) friends and/or with my own son. Since Private Lobby doesn't give C-Bills, I would be spending some serious real money to buy mechs for my son's account (the kid is six years old, you don't expect him to earn these C-Bills playing against other real players).

I have been dropping with my nephew since he was six and he does just fine in QP against other real players once he turned 8 he started rolling in 1000 damage matches in a locust
As long as you are not averaging out at too high a tier and dropping constantly vs tons of tier one players you two will be at least as good as most of the other random pugs out there
If you want to drop in larger numbers The Seraphim are a family friendly unit lots of parents and children and they do well in Faction Play and are solid in Quick Play ques too.

View PostVancer2, on 19 August 2017 - 05:34 PM, said:

8x8 They shouldnt force the rest of us to feel the pain, because the people in oceanic servers get pain. Either figure out how to reduce lag, buy more servers in Oceanic or something. Leave 12v12 alone.

Anything that says, BIG ISSUE. Translate that to WE DONT KNOW HOW TO DO IT!

Or move the Oceanic Servers from Singapore to Australia or New Zealand where their Oceanic Player Base actually resides

#156 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

out of left field here, but someone should totally do a machinima of this with the Butterbee hero XD

Edited by Arkhangel, 21 August 2017 - 12:50 PM.

#157 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

View PostArkhangel, on 21 August 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

out of left field here, but someone should totally do a machinima of this with the Butterbee hero XD

Butterbee is actually a type of snake

#158 Kell Aset

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:24 PM

Always happy to see new maps introduced, I mean new and not just remakes, but these take way too long to make, we should be getting new maps way more often.

Bolt-on system, glad to hear about that, altho kinda shame that our decorations can get destroyed, I want those spikes tho, tons of spikes.

Melee, eh I don't expect to see it ever here in MWO, but I want it, I want it very much, don't you devs just ignore it because it is more comfortable to do so, I'd love to smack some fools in my big mech with some big hatchet/club, fist, pickable tree or whatever.

Solaris, I don't care about it but I am kinda annoyed that you guys want to introduce it while faction play is still bland, flavourless and meh really, I heard something about faction specyfic mechs during this (not)townhall hoping it will be exactly that, that we will see some mechs avaiable only to players from specific factions, that would add a little bit of flavour to some factions at least, but that was not it. You could always put a number of those faction only mechs in your loot boxes, make them rare and call them salvaged I guess, so that people not only from faction X could get their hands on them at some point, could always make boxes tradable maybe(just an idea, I'm sure there will be ppl quite against completely locking some mech x to faction x etc.).

I would just like factions to be a bit different, differences between clans, differences between houses, there was something said about this during that faction play related roundtable we had a while ago, smth about faction specific skills or traits? I would like to hear more about this.
Anyway, I'm House Kurita loyalist and I completely don't care for my faction, nothing in MWO makes me care about my faction, It doesn't matter to me if my faction is losing or winning, there are no real (grand?) consequences.

Lack of mech IK Posted Image eh, I like to take pretty screenshots while playing, getting a nice shot would be easier with this thing in game.

First person walkable mech hangar, it is a cool thing but waste ot time, make more new maps and faster instead of that.

Edited by Kell Aset, 22 August 2017 - 08:25 PM.

#159 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

View PostWence the Wanderer, on 21 August 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

Butterbee is actually a type of snake

Yeah, but the Mech was named after its pilot who had the nickname "Butterbee", although she could have been snakelike.

Edited by Ed Steele, 21 August 2017 - 08:07 PM.

#160 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 12:22 AM

View PostUrbanTarget, on 18 August 2017 - 06:12 PM, said:

It will also help obfuscate population decline. Every 48 players will fill 3 concurrent matches instead of only 2, decreasing the chance of dropping with the same people over and over again.

That doesn't really make much sense and tbh 8v8 was far better as each player could turn the match more effectively with a good or bad performance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users