28 replies to this topic

#21 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:42 PM

I would like more weapons and equipment.

#22 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 08:15 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 03 August 2018 - 06:42 PM, said:

I would like more weapons and equipment.

Well I don't disagree. In fact, I have been campaigning (unsucessfully) for the Blazer.
https://mwomercs.com...n-2016-edition/

The problem with experimental weapons is that their inclusion creates a slippery slope-argument: if IS can have X, why can't Clan have Y? In the end, it is basically a full blown weapon's update again and we are fighting with Jihad-weaponry. Again, I would not mind, but it would have to be such an update officially. And that's big.

The list in the OP does not include equipment. There is indeed some that could be added:

IS:
Small Cockpit (3067)
Heavy Duty Gyro (3067)
XL-Gyro (3067)
Large LFE (3065; curious: the other large engines date much later...)

Clan:
Laser Heat Sinks (3051)

The problem here is not so much the greater number of IS equipment but moreso the balance. I know there are some suggestions how to make them work and not be op but I am not sure it is worth it.

PS: the Blazer is a bit of a special case, since it was fully mature - just not in full production. It was a rare piece of equipment, but regularly available. The experimental status only serves to exclude it from 3025 tournament legal games (contrary to what the fluff suggests the Blazer is quite potent in such an environment).

#23 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:18 PM

View PostAbaddun, on 03 August 2018 - 05:23 PM, said:

Thunderbolt missiles seem like a very obvious counterpart to Clan ATMs.

Actually, Multi-Missile Launchers are the IS equivalent of Clan ATMs. But the problem with putting MMLs in the game is that MMLs absolutely REQUIRE some form of ammo switching to work because they use standard LRM and SRM ammo unlike ATMs which have their own ammo type.

Thunderbolts basically give missile mechs a PPFLD option, since they just fire a single missile per launcher. And for bonus yuks, I believe they can be used for indirect fire like LRMs (albeit at slightly shorter range). They'd be absolutely murdered by AMS though even if Thunderbolt missiles were given lots of hp.

#24 Josh Seles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:57 AM

When does IS Endo-Composite structure appear in canon?
Because I'd like to see that in MWO. Half-size Endo steel but with half the weight savings? I'd still take it.

Besides that, plasma weapons and HAGs would be fun, but probably hard to balance. Not to mention out of our current in-game era.

#25 Tetatae Squawkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,028 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Kaetetôã

Posted 04 August 2018 - 04:21 AM

View PostJosh Seles, on 04 August 2018 - 03:57 AM, said:

Prototype 3067
Production 3085

#26 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 04:30 AM

Light Autocannons are the most important thing IS needed and didnt get.

On the clan side, Chemical Lasers is probably what they couldve benefitted from most. Lower heat lasers that use ammo would definitely have a place in the game, given how hot most clan mechs run.

Edited by Khobai, 04 August 2018 - 04:32 AM.

#27 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 06:32 AM

View PostJosh Seles, on 04 August 2018 - 03:57 AM, said:

Because I'd like to see that in MWO. Half-size Endo steel but with half the weight savings? I'd still take it.

While you're at it, throw in Composite structure as well. Same weight savings as regular Endo-Steel, NO critical slots taken up... and your internal structure takes double damage from all sources.

#28 IronEleven

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 84 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 06:45 AM

IS LTAGs were vehicle-only, right?

#29 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:28 AM

View PostIronEleven, on 07 August 2018 - 06:45 AM, said:

IS LTAGs were vehicle-only, right?

I have read no such thing, but then there is little information about the IS Light TAG other than that it exists. Also, it should not be confused with the IS BA LTAG, which is listed seperatedly on p.53 in the IO and given another TM reference.

IS Light TAG and Active Probe are still a bit of mystery since the IO is virtually the only reference to them (excluding the BA LTAG). People have asked the writers about it, but got no answer. With the current rules and references given one has to assume they work just like the Clan variants.
If you have more info, I'd be glad to read about it.

And since the BAP is a horrible piece of equipment in MWO, I would greatly appreciate the IS LAP...

Edited by FLG 01, 07 August 2018 - 07:29 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users