Gargoyle And Executioner Similar?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Dimzi

• Pip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

I've been enjoying my Gargoyle a lot. Non-Chickenwalker, fast, agile, and lasers.

If I like the Gargoyle, will I also like the Executioner?

#2 Brethren

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 04:54 AM

Well... maybe.

Unlike the GAR the EXE isn't on the fast track anymore. It is fast and agile when compared to 95 or 100 tonners, but 80 and 85 tonners are simply a lot more mobile.
The MASC can give you a short burst of speed, but that will only take you so far.

Very much like the GAR the EXE is very limited in its armament. Fixed Ferro, Jump Jets and MASC take up not only a lot of weight, but also a lot of critical slots.
If you take light weapons (lasers) you lack the slots to take many heat sinks. If you take heavy weapons you won't get much more than 2x UAC5s.

An EXE Laser Vomit (2LPL and 4-6 ER Medium) works pretty well. But that kind of build works on almost everything, starting with heavy mechs. The only advantage you have then is armor and structure.
Oh, and that MASC is really handy when using peek-a-boo attacks. You'd be amazed how fast a 95 tonner can get back into cover.

I run an EXE with 2LPL, 5 ER Medium and 7 ER Micro. This is the only mech where I found good use for ER Micro Lasers. The 7 energy hardpoints in the right arm are simply made for them, they weight next to nothing and when firing 0.5 sec late their duration ends right with the ER Mediums. Plus if you're running hot 17 damage for 12 heat is nothing to sneeze at.

I've got 3 EXEs standing around (from the older days where you'd need 3 mechs to master it)
The mentioned EXE Laser Vomit and a kind-of-dakka EXE. I have no idea what to do with #3, tough.

Edited by Brethren, 24 August 2017 - 05:10 AM.

#3 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

View PostDimzi, on 22 August 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

I've been enjoying my Gargoyle a lot. Non-Chickenwalker, fast, agile, and lasers.

If I like the Gargoyle, will I also like the Executioner?

Unfortunately there's no good way to know until you try the Executioner. They are both agile for their weights, have a great assortment of available omnipods to really customize your builds, but low available tonnage for weapons. If you are ok with a generally lower speed and can tolerate high agility only being used in short bursts, you will likely be ok with the Executioner.

A major issue to be aware of with the Executioner is its height. It is among the tallest mechs int he game, making it very hard to hide from missile fire and easy to pick at when enemies have higher ground. If you are able to work with those things, take advantage of a variety of cover, and are willing to work with mechs with similar speed, you can really make this thing effective. On its own, it requires a lot of battlefield awareness, but can be very effective when you play to its strengths (MASC is a big part of this).

#4 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:33 AM

Be careful, I like the Gargoyle, but really dislike my EXE's. The JJ's are worthless, PGI is terrified of assault class JJ's so even though you have 4, they are just 8 wasted tons (they do NOT perform like 4 medium class JJ's) and 4 wasted slots. I've tried them with maximum JJ tree, so that doesn't help. Unlike IS mechs, you can't remove them - so they become lost weight/space. The MASC is handy and does add to the flavor of the mech.

But it's huge engine, useless JJ's, lack of endo (vice ferro) and plethora of low mounts just turned these mechs into another set of hanger queens for me.....

#5 CraneArmy

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • WC 2017 Participant
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 01:14 AM

The Executioner, is mobile, it is quirky, it has a very high skillcap, it can be a good mech.

but it isnt a great mech.
It's situational.

#6 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

Too situational imo, since its biggest issues are low podpspace and also low crit slots. You are looking at an assault that is slower then all clan heavys, cant twist damage quite as easily, and carries very similar maximum firepower to them (its pretty comparable to a ebon or timby in what it can bring). Its only advantage is high armor, but without heavy armor quirks, its mostly irrelevant when you get whacked by 2 60 point alfas and end up with an open CT.

Its not DOA or anything, but the Exe, like the gargoyle, are both extremely niche mechs that dont really conform to any sort of meta regardless of what loadouts they got. Back when the cSPL was a thing, they could outbrawl most enemies, now, they cant brawl anywhere near what they used to, and like many mechs that relied on the (yeah we all know it was OP back when but it didnt deserve this bad a nerf) cSPL, dropped off teh radar almost entirely when said weapon dissapeared...

#7 SuperFunkTron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 910 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:53 AM

View Postpanzer1b, on 30 September 2017 - 06:24 PM, said:

...both extremely niche mechs that dont really conform to any sort of meta regardless of what loadouts they got.

That's a gross underestimation of both mechs. Neither is an easy mech to learn how to pilot and use effectively because they both require a unique play style compared to other mechs, but I've been able to pump out 700-900 damage with a large chunk of the variants of both mechs including many stock, or near stock Gargoyle builds.

If you're interested in either mech, just know that they have a steep learning curve in order to be used effectively and that you will have to make sure you are torso twisting a lot to mitigate torso damage to the arms if you want to survive the match. They are also excellent pack animals using them knowing that you will have 1 or 2 mechs with you will really help you maximize your damage potential.

You'll see a lot of people telling you that they are garbage, but when I was able to get the Gargoyles A and D (stock builds) to regularly pull 700 damage in quick play and the Gargoyle e to pull 800-900 damage in each of my first 5 games in it, I can wholeheartedly tell you that learning to use this mech well will definitely give you a huge element of surprise, especially when you don't rely on the short range brawling builds.

#8 Voivode

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:06 AM

I have both and I enjoy them both for the same reasons: mobility. I'm big on mobility in my builds and play style, so for me they both work. The Gargoyle is much quicker than the Executioner, though, so don't expect Gargoyle style "big, ugly, gangly ballerina" from your EXE's.

As others have mentioned, hard space is limited, so when you build you'll have to figure out where your power comes from. The Gargoyle can boat 6xCMPL and do just fine, but you won't get away with that on an Executioner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users