Why Is Playing A Light Mech Hard?

58 replies to this topic

#1 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:53 AM

Leveling my ACH and it is far easier than playing a heavy or assault.

-Lag shield basically makes you immune to anything that isnt on the level of OP IS pulse lasers, streaks or LRM boats. I frequently see mechs shoot me on my screen before i start reversing behind cover, and i take almost no damage whatsoever. And they started shooting when i was stationery. The amount of fire that i can take from most weapons and receive almost no damage is amazing...it is much better survivability than a heavy/assault.

The biggest problem survivabiliy wise is that I can lose an arm instantly from one LRM volley or somethig like dual gauss/HPPC, but usually people are too busy shooting heavier mechs.

-Nobody wants to shoot a light mech when an assault is beairng down on them.

-The ability to re-position at 130 kph actually lets you avoid incoming pushes at will and conduct flank attacks with impunity. Trying to retreat in a 81 kph generally results in a bunch of heavies/assualts rounding the corner and dumping LPLs into your rear if you happen to be on the frontline.

-Getting XP itself is ridiculously easy when you can drop a UAV and watch 10+ scouting and UAV related rewards stream in.

#2 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:05 AM

It's not lagshield. It's a combination of two things:

1. aiming in this game is fundamentally hard. You can't just move your crosshair around freely like it's Counterstrike, you're bound by the agility stats of your mech and you're constantly fighting against it. Not to mention that if you're arms free then you have two crosshairs that constantly tug on each other.

2. most of the targets in this game are so slow and large that aiming in this game as a result seems generally very very easy. People start taking it for granted. So when a small nimble target shows up rarely... they can't hit it [Redacted].

Now take your Cheetah against players who actually can aim at a Cheetah and hit it... and it's a different story. Suddenly you'd rather be in a Linebacker, not a Cheetah.

Edited by draiocht, 24 August 2017 - 01:35 PM.
inappropriate language

#3 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:26 AM

View PostTarogato, on 24 August 2017 - 06:05 AM, said:

It's not lagshield. It's a combination of two things:

1. aiming in this game is fundamentally hard. You can't just move your crosshair around freely like it's Counterstrike, you're bound by the agility stats of your mech and you're constantly fighting against it. Not to mention that if you're arms free then you have two crosshairs that constantly tug on each other.

2. most of the targets in this game are so slow and large that aiming in this game as a result seems generally very very easy. People start taking it for granted. So when a small nimble target shows up rarely... they can't hit it [Redacted].

Now take your Cheetah against players who actually can aim at a Cheetah and hit it... and it's a different story. Suddenly you'd rather be in a Linebacker, not a Cheetah.

Acutally, aiming in this game is fundamentally easy. Even lights are still outstandingly easy to hit compared to what other games (especially games with a high skill ceiling) demand.

The key issue is that huge parts of this playerbase are fundamentally bad at playing videogames.

Edited by draiocht, 24 August 2017 - 01:36 PM.
Quote Clean-Up

#4 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:28 AM

As far as light mechs go the Arctic Cheetah is one of the easier mechs to use.

It's a slim humanoid (notoriously difficult to hit like the Spider)

Omni mech with generous and effective hardpoints (6 E + ECM is pretty much ideal for a harasser)

Has access to ECM allowing for easier approaches and escapes.

Can participate in the MG fest currently going on with those sweet 6 B hardpoint pair of arms.

If you want "hard" pilot an I.S. Jenner or Raven and see how that goes for you.It won't be nearly as "easy" as the Cheetah.

#5 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:31 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 24 August 2017 - 06:26 AM, said:

Acutally, aiming in this game is fundamentally easy. Even lights are still outstandingly easy to hit compared to what other games (especially games with a high skill ceiling) demand.

The key issue is that huge parts of this playerbase are fundamentally bad at playing videogames.

Not completely true. Hitting Lights is harder due to MWO's convergence mechanic. You have to lead your shots if it is not lasers, and when leading you shots, those AC/PPC/SRM rounds do not converge on the exact same spot where the opponent will be. Other FPS games such as Overwatch have no such issue, because the characters do not have to shoot multiple weapons from several different ports.

Edited by El Bandito, 24 August 2017 - 06:32 AM.

#6 Maker L106

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:32 AM

Yeah, i get swarmed by lights pretty regularly and we've had good days and bad based strictly on how well my mouse discipline (or connection) is working that day. We've got a crow pilot who that's more or less his cup of tea. Streaks, Probe, ML and he sweeps legs.

Though something that would help some people (and i've seen it first hand way to many times) is the paperdoll not be ambiguous at first sight. I know that sounds dumb as hell but it REALLY needs a small 3d rendering not a small 2d note.

Or at least an option. Some are better with shapes than numbers / letters denoting things.

Also **** being left handed. (semi related issue)

#7 Spr1ggan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:40 AM

Join a comp team as a light pilot, play some comp queue or some MRBC and get back to us on how easy it is.

#8 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:42 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 24 August 2017 - 06:31 AM, said:

Not completely true. Hitting Lights is harder due to MWO's convergence mechanic. You have to lead your shots if it is not lasers, and when leading you shots, those AC/PPC/SRM rounds do not converge on the exact same spot where the opponent will be. Other FPS games such as Overwatch have no such issue, because the characters do not have to shoot multiple weapons from several different ports.

Yes, hitting lights is harder than hitting other targets in MWO. But that doesn't mean it's actually hard to do so. Even when taking convergence issues into consideration, MWO is simply still an easy game (from a pure mechanical point of view).

#9 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:43 AM

View PostLykaon, on 24 August 2017 - 06:28 AM, said:

As far as light mechs go the Arctic Cheetah is one of the easier mechs to use.

It's a slim humanoid (notoriously difficult to hit like the Spider)

Omni mech with generous and effective hardpoints (6 E + ECM is pretty much ideal for a harasser)

Has access to ECM allowing for easier approaches and escapes.

Can participate in the MG fest currently going on with those sweet 6 B hardpoint pair of arms.

If you want "hard" pilot an I.S. Jenner or Raven and see how that goes for you.It won't be nearly as "easy" as the Cheetah.

use the SHARD variant and you can bag 8x MG's just like the M.Lynx, only the cheetah can also sport an ECM and moves faster.

#10 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,881 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:43 AM

Lights aren't harder per se but in my opinion just require you to be on your toes more and be more aware of your surroundings to do well in them and they are definitely much faster paced. You have to be able to move fluidly, not get hung up on terrain, always know your escape routes and never stand still. Alot of people can't or won't learn to do this so they label them as being harder to play.

#11 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:08 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 24 August 2017 - 06:43 AM, said:

Lights aren't harder per se but in my opinion just require you to be on your toes more and be more aware of your surroundings to do well in them and they are definitely much faster paced. You have to be able to move fluidly, not get hung up on terrain, always know your escape routes and never stand still. Alot of people can't or won't learn to do this so they label them as being harder to play.

I see lights as "harder" to play but that's because I'm not a light pilot but when I do pilot them, I tend to be ignored more often which results in me getting damage and kills. However, lights are really not hard to play as long as you know what you're doing.

#12 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:09 AM

View PostViktor Drake, on 24 August 2017 - 06:43 AM, said:

AKA, more difficult...

#13 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:16 AM

I think the skill requirements and ceiling is higher for light mechs than for mediums/heavies. Really good light pilots are -very- impressive, and they're few and far between. But for the average player they're hard to get into and not mistake-friendly.

I do believe they are harder to hit - while I can pretty reliably tag mechs at 1200-1500 meters with ERPPCs or something that are slower mediums/heavies/assaults, trying to land shots on a jagging light at that range is very hard. And up close, they can still be moving fast enough to outpace your torso twist to avoid at least some of the shots. And personally, when I roll around in my Adder, I do believe that being a smaller target when you're poking is of a considerable benefit. Aside from some Oceanic Locusts, I don't really see a ton of lagshielding anymore.

#14 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:21 AM

I find lights are a lot harder to carry a team for me, outside of a couple of builds. for instance i've felt like playing my commando DK as of late.. It's an ERML build, made for poking and capping, or spead flank. But if your team is playing hide the whole time, it is very had to use.

Basically i team up with an assault, and stay right behind him, as they poke out, i poke out and add damage, or i fun out and try to distract and get him to twist on me while the assault hammers them. But if that assault doesn't move, i'm basically screwed. (No i do not stand right behind him so he can't back up either) the longer burn on the weapons make it a mech that you really need to team up with. On the other hand, my SRM commando, or MPL Javelin i can play other styles. the long burn ERML's, don't work well if your against a faster mech that either is out ranging your, or is a MG or pulse boat. Then the option is to leg um and hope you can use the agility in your favor.

My point is, it really depends on the light, and the build. I don't play meta/top mechs all the time.. but at times it is really hard to play others. For some reason the match maker thinks if i don't carry i should loose Posted Image Which honestly i don't get, cause many folks are just better than me lol

#15 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

now go play a light that doesn't have ECM and see how you do.

Go try playing a Firestarter now...see how well you do.

#16 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

I always wonder if those that complain that playing lights are hard have ever played MW4:Mercs?

Please, go try Mercs and see that lights have it easy in MWO.

#17 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:47 AM

View PostCoolant, on 24 August 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

I always wonder if those that complain that playing lights are hard have ever played MW4:Mercs?

Completely irrelevant , as usual.

#18 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:49 AM

View PostCoolant, on 24 August 2017 - 07:28 AM, said:

yes go play a completely different game and compare it to this one....

#19 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:51 AM

View PostBigbacon, on 24 August 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

now go play a light that doesn't have ECM and see how you do.

Go try playing a Firestarter now...see how well you do.

Firestarters are better IMO since the LFE and new tech. I've had plenty of good matches in them. Personally i rarely run a light with ECM. I run ECM very rarely on anything cause i swear it never helps me anyway. Not sure why not lol

#20 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,096 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:54 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 24 August 2017 - 07:51 AM, said:

Firestarters are better IMO since the LFE and new tech. I've had plenty of good matches in them. Personally i rarely run a light with ECM. I run ECM very rarely on anything cause i swear it never helps me anyway. Not sure why not lol

i haven't tried them much but they seem to be pretty bad for me anymore. they were a go to light for so long. ST kind killed them for me. They are definitely MUCH more difficult to use well than they were. I assume this is something other feel as well because they used to be everywhere now you rarely see them.

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users