Least Represented Mech Weights

BattleMechs

47 replies to this topic

#41 Josh Seles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:56 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 26 August 2017 - 08:51 PM, said:

The Longbow is an Unseen but not a Macross unseen I think. I do like the idea of a X6 ballistic 85 tonner.

Hi Arisen, haven't seen you in-game for a while. I was on hiatus for a bit, but I've been back for a while.

Back on topic:
The Longbow actually is a Macross Unseen, it's ...based on? ...copied from? the Destroid Phalanx. The Longbow is also a missile boat, mostly LRM's.

Unless its the LGB-13NAIS or the LGB-8V. The -13NAIS has 6 Light AC-5's and the -8V has 2 Arrow IV's.

Edit: Personally, I like the idea of a 95-ton energy boat, in the Sagittaire. Would do energy better than the Nightstar, and better than most Banshees.
Plus, it just looks cool, and reminds me of the Raptor 2, a Jihad-era Blakist medium. I doubt PGI will do Jihad-era though.

Edited by Josh Seles, 27 August 2017 - 10:11 AM.

#42 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:14 PM

View PostJosh Seles, on 27 August 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

Hi Arisen, haven't seen you in-game for a while. I was on hiatus for a bit, but I've been back for a while.

Back on topic:
The Longbow actually is a Macross Unseen, it's ...based on? ...copied from? the Destroid Phalanx. The Longbow is also a missile boat, mostly LRM's.

Unless its the LGB-13NAIS or the LGB-8V. The -13NAIS has 6 Light AC-5's and the -8V has 2 Arrow IV's.

Edit: Personally, I like the idea of a 95-ton energy boat, in the Sagittaire. Would do energy better than the Nightstar, and better than most Banshees.
Plus, it just looks cool, and reminds me of the Raptor 2, a Jihad-era Blakist medium. I doubt PGI will do Jihad-era though.

I've been working out of town spending most of my time in a hotel which makes it hard to play.

The Sagitt would be most valuble for it's ballistic variant. It will never outdo the Banshee for laser vomit due to it's 345 engine cap, speed & internal dhs. Otherwise i'd say it's comprable to the Nightstar as the big issue there was convergence and the NSR's arms don't look to be so far apart as was feared.

#43 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:11 PM

Just a thought: the Uziel was added even though we had a lot 50t Mechs already, same goes for the Bushwacker. I am not sure PGI really cares for over-representation. (Though, in all fairness, there is a lot of dead weight in the 50 and 55 ton range; think Trebuchet or Wolverine).

The next IS Mech is going to be a medium and I am not sure what PGI wants to do. Sure there are some mediums that would help giving the IS a greater selection of Mechs in the less represented weights and perhaps push the meta-envelope a bit, like the Sha Yu. But to be honest I cannot think of a 40 or 45 ton Mech I desperately want to have. Sure, there are some nice-to-haves like the Vulcan, the Hermes II, or the Stealth but none really exite me.

When it comes to lights or assaults we have some good choices in the less well represented weights. In case of the mediums however, I hope they go for 55 tons and give us a proper Mech: Lynx, Lightray, Lineholder, or even the Men Shen. (But, yeah, I know that is unlikely. I would be surprised if we did not get the Chimera or Hellspawn).

#44 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:23 PM

The Sha Yu doesn't push the meta envelope for IS, it's just a differently shaped Cicada. If we want to push the IS meta for Mediums, we need the Lynx and it needs some moderate hardpoint inflation. Lightray and Men Shen would be pretty good, too.

#45 Justin Kase

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationMerryland

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:27 PM

20 ton - Stinger / Wasp combo pack - I'd pay for this in a heartbeat :D

25 ton - Mongoose (or Super Wasp - though that wasn't really widely produced)

40 ton - Clint or Vulcan

85 ton - Shogun

#46 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 27 August 2017 - 04:11 PM, said:

Just a thought: the Uziel was added even though we had a lot 50t Mechs already, same goes for the Bushwacker. I am not sure PGI really cares for over-representation. (Though, in all fairness, there is a lot of dead weight in the 50 and 55 ton range; think Trebuchet or Wolverine).

The next IS Mech is going to be a medium and I am not sure what PGI wants to do. Sure there are some mediums that would help giving the IS a greater selection of Mechs in the less represented weights and perhaps push the meta-envelope a bit, like the Sha Yu. But to be honest I cannot think of a 40 or 45 ton Mech I desperately want to have. Sure, there are some nice-to-haves like the Vulcan, the Hermes II, or the Stealth but none really exite me.

When it comes to lights or assaults we have some good choices in the less well represented weights. In case of the mediums however, I hope they go for 55 tons and give us a proper Mech: Lynx, Lightray, Lineholder, or even the Men Shen. (But, yeah, I know that is unlikely. I would be surprised if we did not get the Chimera or Hellspawn).

Yeah I think PGI cares more about how well a mech will sell and being on the upper end of a weight class is generally ideal. I agree with Yeonne that the Sha Yu would just be a sidegrade to the Cicada. The Hellspawn would be ok but the Chimera would be pure junk.

I like the Lynx a lot but I kinda want the Men Shen more because it's much more interesting and I'd say they would have near identical combat power but would be versatile in different ways. Without inflation the Men Shen is easily better than the Lynx even though the Lynx would still be a better Sparky without inflation. I don't want to derail my own thread but what do you guys think about the Cronus? http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cronus Ugliest mech ever but has a lot of potential.

#47 Josh Seles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

I could go for the Lynx too, I kind of like it for some reason. I'm all for more SLDF mechs. It seems like it'd be fun, and a decent addition to our line-up of mechs.

#48 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:14 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 27 August 2017 - 08:43 PM, said:

Yeah I think PGI cares more about how well a mech will sell and being on the upper end of a weight class is generally ideal. I agree with Yeonne that the Sha Yu would just be a sidegrade to the Cicada. The Hellspawn would be ok but the Chimera would be pure junk.

Well, I said "perhaps" push the envelope. Posted Image
The Sha Yu has the advantage of having a high number of hardpoints (5x energy + 1x missile) combined with ECM. Not a huge advantage these days, granted, but I would take the Sha Yu over the Cicada.
...and I would surely take it over the Chimera (junk indeed) and Hellspawn (mediocre; hero is very nice though).

I like the Lynx a lot but I kinda want the Men Shen more because it's much more interesting and I'd say they would have near identical combat power but would be versatile in different ways. Without inflation the Men Shen is easily better than the Lynx even though the Lynx would still be a better Sparky without inflation.

If Omnis are on the table, the Men Shen definitely wins. As long as we have to stick to BattleMechs though, the Lynx is the best option imo. A 55t energy boat with JJ, plus some missiles (-9C), would be perfect. Hardpoint inflation would be nice but six energy HP are enough for me. It's just a damn good Mech.

I don't want to derail my own thread but what do you guys think about the Cronus? http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Cronus Ugliest mech ever but has a lot of potential.

Looks good to me; fast, jumpy, good hardpoints overall (location, number, and type). I'd still prefer the Lynx, but I can see it working.

25 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users