5 replies to this topic

#1 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

So is there no DoF effect in MWO or is there something wrong with my client?

I recently got a new rig and can finally play the game on good settings in high resolution, I noticed that compared to other games I've tested on this rig I'm really missing the sweet Depth of Field effects in MWO. Is there a way to turn it on/increase it?

#2 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:37 PM

depth of field surely would end up like crippling yourself, your "not in focus" vision would basically be blurred making it harder to see mechs in the distance, why would you even want to do that.

anything in MWO is the aged cryengine 3, heres a bit of spiel on what u want.

In CRYENGINE there are three values that allow you to adjust the depth of field: FocusDist(ance), FocusRange and BlurAmount. While the latter one should be self-explanatory, the other two (and especially the second one) are often misunderstood.
  • FocusDist describes how far away your Focus should be from the Camera; positive values are infront of the camera, negatives are behind (yes that is perfectly valid!).
  • FocusRange describes the size of the shape until the maximum blurriness (as defined by BlurAmount) is reached; it accelerates in a linear fashion in both directions: TO the camera and AWAY from it.
The effective distance in both directions is FocusRange / 2, which means half of the FocusRange is spread away from the FocusDistance.

i would imagine you would need to change the CVARS required to alter these settings and even then a LOT are disallowed by PGI and do nothing.

Hmm, cvars seem to be

r_DepthOfField
Enables depth of field.
Usage: r_DepthOfField [0/1/2]
Default is 0 (disabled). 1 enables, 2 hdr time of day dof enabled

dunno about the rest

Edited by Methanoid, 24 August 2017 - 05:47 PM.

#3 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:49 PM

View PostMethanoid, on 24 August 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

depth of field surely would end up like crippling yourself, your "not in focus" vision would basically be blurred making it harder to see mechs in the distance, why would you even want to do that.

Because it looks/feels nice

#4 Smites

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 24 August 2017 - 05:49 PM, said:

Because it looks/feels nice

While it might in some games I don't think DoF would work very well when applied to MW:O. It might, but I personally doubt it. Still, if you want to and can get it working? GL. Let me know what it looks like!

#5 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:17 PM

Maybe you should have a look at 3D Vision? I like to see depth in games...

#6 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:46 PM

View PostSmites, on 24 August 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

While it might in some games I don't think DoF would work very well when applied to MW:O. It might, but I personally doubt it. Still, if you want to and can get it working? GL. Let me know what it looks like!

Seems like PGI has prevented DoF settings through user.cfg, it returns a "restricted" in omicronlog. I guess this is a leftover from when DoF was on in the game and they wanted to prevent people from turning it off to gain a visibility advantage.

Would be really nice if they allowed it to be turned on for those who like it.

View PostRhialto, on 24 August 2017 - 06:17 PM, said:

Maybe you should have a look at 3D Vision? I like to see depth in games...

My monitor doesn't support it.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users