I Will Ask A Question That Should Answer Your Question About How Many Potatoes There Are.

46 replies to this topic

#21 Mechwarrior4670152

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:45 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 August 2017 - 10:51 AM, said:

The Plasma Pistol is actually really good, especially in Halo CE where it's strong against even unshielded enemies. You can mow down Flood with that thing.

Bad example.

On the other hand...
The potato is one of the most amazing foods in existence, so using it as a term for a "bad" machine is itself a...

Bad example Posted Image

View PostDAYLEET, on 25 August 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

Potato is just the new term i cant wait to get rid of because potatoes are delicious in all sorts of loadout. Mashed, Fried, Baked, and so on.

Amen

#22 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:58 PM

I simply don't understand how average playerbase skill can decline so markedly overtime. This seems to be the exact opposite of most other FPS games. In those cases those still playing before the lights go out generally have the benefit of all the major skill and equipment unlocks and complete map knowledge.

What explains the differences here? The F2P model? What other F2P games can MWO be compared to? Planetside, WoT, other?

Edited by Spheroid, 25 August 2017 - 06:59 PM.

#23 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:02 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 25 August 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

I simply don't understand how average playerbase skill can decline so markedly overtime.

Easy.
I have known tons of awesome pilots (and friends)... now they are all gone away.

#24 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:08 PM

@Stefka: But why were goods replaced with bads instead of the current population being simply a smaller pool of goods and okays? We have already determined MWO doesn't advertise so how are they coming to discover MWO in 2017?

#25 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 637 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

What do you have against potatoes?..........

#26 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:21 PM

I simply don't understand how average playerbase skill can decline so markedly overtime. This seems to be the exact opposite of most other FPS games. In those cases those still playing before the lights go out generally have the benefit of all the major skill and equipment unlocks and complete map knowledge.

What explains the differences here? The F2P model? What other F2P games can MWO be compared to? Planetside, WoT, other?

A big part of it might be MWO's specific player base that tends to attract old people that don't play many video games.

#27 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:40 PM

The Plasma Pistol when paired with the shotgun was a beast in PVP.

On a pedestal of its own alongside the 3 shot kill Magnum.

If anything is going to be potato about Halo, it's those guys that drive the Warthog solely only to run people over... because for the most part they suck at everything else. You'll often find these people with SPNKrs (rocket launcher) or Assault Rifles and run in straight lines.

#28 mike29tw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:47 PM

View PostFupDup, on 25 August 2017 - 07:21 PM, said:

A big part of it might be MWO's specific player base that tends to attract old people that don't play many video games.

That's the impression I get as well.

Especially in some discussions where people wrote "MWO did this thing wrong because A, B, and C. See game X, Y, and Z as examples" and the whole community just goes "Nope you're wrong MWO is great."

Edited by mike29tw, 25 August 2017 - 07:48 PM.

#29 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

People can be special snowflakes, the mistake is PGI handing out tier 1 to everyone as some kind of feel good spend more $$$ achievement.

#30 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

View PostPapaspud, on 25 August 2017 - 07:17 PM, said:

What do you have against potatoes?..........

They don't generate enough voltage, and if I get emotionally stirred, like right now, THEY TEND T-BZZZRT.

#31 qS Sachiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 373 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:32 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 25 August 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

Spoiler

Literally lost my ****.
laughed so hard i pooped a little.
This is glorious, pure gold.

It's basically this, and people fighting / stopping sharp in chokepoints and facehugging enemy targets that are 99% of my gripe with the playerbase lol.
Oh, and the obligatory LRM<180, ATM<120 heros.

View PostSpheroid, on 25 August 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

@Stefka: But why were goods replaced with bads instead of the current population being simply a smaller pool of goods and okays? We have already determined MWO doesn't advertise so how are they coming to discover MWO in 2017?

What?
Is this question legitimate? It's because the good players see no reason to stick around, and they leave while the majority of players are average. Take out the good, in relative terms the bad become 'better' but in absolute terms, the playerbase becomes 'poor'.

This may be because the 'good' players are/were MW enthusiasts / veterans, and due to this are generally older, fiercer, and have a better understanding of how to load and run a mech than the newer players.

Not trying to come off as an elitist, just answer your q.

google absolute vs relative enrichment.

Edited by qS Sachiel, 25 August 2017 - 08:37 PM.

#32 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 25 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

Do you go FP for events? Because every event i go there i see all the names i used to see in QP that started disappearing since 2 years ago. Long standing players, who made me want to get better and learn the game. Now they joined a unit and farm pugs instead. Maybe the "teamplay is op" got to their heads. Quiters! Some times ago(2 months ago maybe) there was a bug where pf didnt work for a night. They went back into qp, it was great, it was intense, everyone moving together, i could hardly follow because im not used to that anymore. I even posted about it. It lasted a night and fp was fixed. i hate fp, i hate the maps, i hate the time it takes to drop to win or lose, i hate that it took players from qp, i hate everything about fp.

I can answer that. Take me for example. I dont even bother learning the new mechs, which sides got what, what loadout go with which engine. I just fell into a deep apathy about the game because its not been worth trying for a LONG time. This is how i feel about the game with the current population right now. Like i said above, there was a small incident that put me back in the days when i wanted/needed to be better, it didnt last.

Edited by DAYLEET, 25 August 2017 - 08:48 PM.

#33 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:45 PM

Nor will it stop. People ran trash builds in 8v8 before, they will again- because that's the playerbase.

Just play groups if you cant bear the randomness of pick up groups.
In groupplay you know your allys and their loadouts,
and we have less tryhard metawhores that try to tell us how we have to play a game.
Win/Win

Most players are old, have money and just want stompy robots stomping around and seeing stompy robots explode. Lots of them are also too old for elitist or tryhard attitudes and get their challenges from their jobs and have enough self-image to ignore metawhores and cod-kiddies.
Its an "old" mans game powered by memorys. Posted Image

Edited by Kroete, 25 August 2017 - 11:56 PM.

#34 Bill Lumbar

• Death Star
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:51 AM

Like people don't want to already.

Posted Image

Nor will it stop. People ran trash builds in 8v8 before, they will again- because that's the playerbase.

Whats better than having Lrms and 1 tag.....??? Having Lrms and 3 tag, of course! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#35 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:02 AM

well, I guess when good ones left, bads remain. So playerbase quality goes down not because of noobs.

#36 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:08 AM

View PostFupDup, on 25 August 2017 - 07:21 PM, said:

Pretty sure you just called me old!

WTH is Halo?

#37 Asym

• Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:27 AM

View PostKroete, on 25 August 2017 - 11:45 PM, said:

Most players are old, have money and just want stompy robots stomping around and seeing stompy robots explode. Lots of them are also too old for elitist or tryhard attitudes and get their challenges from their jobs and have enough self-image to ignore metawhores and cod-kiddies.
Its an "old" mans game powered by memorys. Posted Image

Ow........... I resemble, errrrr, resent the implication you......., you young whipper-snapper........

Old man's game? Ouch. "I'm being abused.......I'm being abused!"

I don't think so........many of us "old, rich guys: are veterans.... Many of us were playing in SIMNET battalion level battles decades before the average age players in MWO were born.... The NTC, Fulda Gap, the Deserts were with "real steel" and real bullets...... Are many of us "serious?" Yes, but we realize this is just a silly game and we want to have fun first and foremost. My friends all left MWO because the game itself "just wasn't ever going to get any better....." They saw "other games" to invest their "retired, old man time and money into".... MWO lost them. I am their "scout" and will remain till I see where MWO is going.....

That was my "real job" in life and my real job in MWO. Observe, analyze and report......

#38 lEAKYcUBe

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 18 posts
  • LocationRotherham

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:31 AM

View PostDimento Graven, on 25 August 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

Sooo... You're saying there's a potato behind every keyboard?

One behind the keyboard, and two in the pot!

LOL thanks for the laughs

#39 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:52 AM

View PostKaeb Odellas, on 25 August 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

I don't mind seeing potato builds on quick play. Just keep that stuff out of FP, where the stakes are higher. I don't want to be stuck in a match for 30 minutes with someone intentionally gimping his team.

What stakes? What stakes are higher beside your wait queue and match time?

There is no persistant, varrying economy. Your wins don't matter, your losses don't matter, save for moving a colored bar around a little and changing the color of the map.

Now I mean, if there were Ammo Costs, repair costs, logistics lines, travel times, ect ect ect, like there SHOULD be in FP, then yes, I'd be 100% in your court... but I think you need to come to realise, the FP we have, is a far cry from what it SHOULD be, and your little gamemode, doesn't mean anything in the long run, the only additional value you're putting on it, is what you, are putting on it.

#40 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:56 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 25 August 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

I will ask a question that should answer your question about how many potatoes there are:

Q. Have you ever tried to beat Halo with just plasma pistols?

See, video games are not always about beating the game as best possible, but rather to play the game in fun ways. I run potato builds all the time because I do not view MWO as a venue for me to Win ad hard as I can. It's a place to play stompy robots, just like how Halo was a great venue to play Laser Space Marine.

Wait, so you can beat Halo in MP?

Because unlike a single player game, MWO is a team v team multiplayer game. So when someone derp around here, they're just trolling a bunch of other people.

That's not a crime - nobody is calling for folks to be banned for being bad.

However it's not unreasonable to criticise people for trolling or screwing other players for their own giggles. That's a perfectly reasonable thing to call someone out for.

You want to derp around, play a single player game. Doing it in a PvP team game is going to get people calling you out for being a jackass - because you're being a jackass.

I don't get how this is a mystery to some people.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users