- - - - -

Questions About The Game

85 replies to this topic

#1 Canned Beans

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

Hey I am playing the game but it's a very complicated one ya know?

Here are some things I am confused about:

1) Faction play, in general. Most likely stick to quickplay but I want the three days premium from this event which a friend was described to me. I am not sure which faction to pick or how to get this bonus.

2) Is this community super toxic? First match I play I get someone calling me disabled because I was the last one alive? I could barely understand what he was getting at through the screaming.

3) Why are Innersphere mechs so much cheaper than clan mechs? Why would anyone play clan as a result? Is it their better weapons (I think they're better, more on that later)?

4) What is a unit?

5) Good starter mech?

6) Why are there so many more guns in Clan? For example all Innersphere gets is ER laser and normal lasers which all do less damage than clan lasers..?

7) Is this game imbalanced, clan weapons seemingly are just better yet Intersphere is cheaper??

Sorry for so many questions, I tried googling some of these but I have failed.

Edited by Canned Beans, 26 August 2017 - 08:04 PM.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:37 PM

1.) I suggest making a one man unit and going Mercenary, then take which ever contract pays best, and then switch from IS to Clan till you've a favourite, or you accidentally meet up with awesome teammates and join a group or something. Just a warning, but scouting tends to be brawly, so choose an appropriate mech, but feel free to chat with your team as you drop.

2.) No, but people are people, and troll's grow anywhere.

3.) Inner Sphere mechs are older, generally more rugged tech, with shorter burn times for lasers and larger bore Autocannons which means faster damage, and are all Battlemechs with more optimization, but that oft comes with older 'subpar' parts. They can be upgraded, and those upgrades'll get costly. Clan mechs are newer tech, with oft more range and damage, for less wieght. They tend to run hotter, fire more shells per Autocannon, and stream their missiles rather'n group firin' em, which makes 'em more suseptible to Anti missile systems.

4.) A unit is an orginazation of one to somethin' like 128 mechwarriors. I forget the current limit. They tend to drop together, an will oft trade tips, techniques and mechbuilds whilst playing.

5.) Hunchback, the IS version.

6.) See three, also, IS gets Rotary Autocannons and Medium Range Missiles, Clans get more Laser variety and Advance Tactical Missiles.

7.) Is Starcraft imbalanced? Tech is different, and differences may make one tech more appealing to you. Clans tend to be easier to pick up as the Omnimech, a bulk of their machines, have set engines and hence tend to run in common speeds, keeping with the team, an tend to have a range advantage, which is easier to start with until you've a grasp on positioning and tactics within the game. That said, you can make 'em dance inna brawl if you've the mind.

No problem, that's why we've the forum.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 26 August 2017 - 09:41 PM.

#3 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:49 PM

Welcome to MW:O! Always nice to see new people! In regards to your questions...

1) I would recommend staying away from Faction Warfare for awhile as a new player, since it is built around you having a full dropdecks off at least 4 fully kitted and skilled up mechs of your own.

2) Generally the community is quite friendly. If someone starts acting out of line, please report and then mute them.

3) IS mechs are cheaper up front, but equal out to around the same price as Clan mechs when fully outfitted. PGI tried to keep both techs about equal in strength.

4) Units are player groups made for Faction Warfare. Sort of like guilds from most MMO's.

5) I will have to pass this question onto someone else, since I drive crazy stuff I can't recommend to anyone in good faith.

6) The tech options in the game are based off of tech from the Battletech table top series, and are balanced from there. That means the IS and Clans have some weapons the other faction doesn't have. The IS lasers generally have much better durations so that their lower damage is more accurate than the Clan lasers

7) There is a lot of contention about the balance in this game, but on the whole the balance between IS and Clan tech is very close. A lot of the Clan tech has limiting factors that aren't obvious at first glance. For instance, their ultra autocannons fire in large bursts, making it harder to make all the damage go in one spot, or their LRMs fire in streams, and are thus easier for AMS systems to shoot down. Things like that help keep things fair to both parties.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. And remember, have fun out there!

Posted Image

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:27 PM

1) faction play has 2 main modes,
scouting is 4v4, no respawns, light and Medium Mechs only, Clans cannot bring 55 ton Mechs, if you win you acumalate points which help your side in the main invasion mode
invasion is 12v12 with each persion bringing 4 MEchs which must total inside a tonage range, it uses the quick play maps and modes as well as a seige mode, played on specificaly designed maps.

2) no, just the odd id10t, if that happens again just hold down tab, click on the players name and report, I advise you to do the same if you see/hear someone picking on another player to help limit that sort of thing, if somoene receives enough reports in a period of time they get a short term ban.

3) usualy IS Mechs have much lower tech equipment, while Clan Mechs are fully upgraded, a Clan Mech tends to be more or less ready to go where as an IS Mech may want upto 3 times the Mech cost in upgrades to get to its full potential.
Most Clan Mechs are expensive to buy but cheep to outfit, most Inner Sphere Mechs are cheep to buy but expensive to outfit, they usualy end up costing about the same (except Lights, Most clan Light Mechs work out A LOT cheeper than comparable IS Lights)
an IS Mech will usualy want an eXtra Light or Light Fusion Engine (4-6 million) Double heatsinks (1.5 million) and possibly Endo Steel internals and Fero Fibrus armor (weight saving in exchange for 14 slots, Endo is better) on top of the weapons you are likely to want for a Clan Mech

4) a player run group, what in other games would be called a clan, but using that term in MWO would be a bit confusing what with half the factions being Clans, so we call them a Unit to avoid confusion

5) there are lots of good starter Mechs, most common sugestion is the IS Hunchback but pretty much any Medium or Heavy Mech can be good for a starter, I recomend avoiding Light or Assualt classes for first Mech because they usualy require a lot more skill to do well in than a medium or heavy, and as a new player you are not likely to have that yet

6) this game is loosely based upon a table top game called Battletech, in that game Clans were massivly over powered, to the point that a Clan Mech was about twice as good as an IS Mech, in the board game this was balenced by the IS being alowed to bring about twice as many Mechs as Clans could, but that would not work for a single player game, in this game it is balenced by making IS equipment have faster discharge, rate of fire and less heat, the Clan gear tends to be lighter, do more damage per shot and have longer range, but it is a lot hotter and takes longer to discharge (making it harder to focus the damage).

7) it is almost impossible to get a game like this perfectly balenced, but you get as many people complaining that IS is OP as complaining that Clans are OP, so balence cannot be too far out.
the biggest balence issues are with the outliers, the "best" Mechs in a weight class tend to be maybe 20-30% better than the worst, both sides have some overperforming Mechs, but there are balence changes changes made most months and those changes tend to make the overperforming Mechs less potent while making some other Mechs into overperformers because the "meta tryhard" (no offence intended to those people) players figure out something the devs missed.
also as mentioned they tend to try to bring all Mechs into balence, so if you find the flavor of the month Mech and buy it precisely because it is the best Mech do not be suprised if in a week, or a month it suddenly stops being overpowered, you have been warned.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 26 August 2017 - 10:34 PM.

#5 Canned Beans

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:11 PM

These are some good answers, thank you everyone. Another question comes to mind, why is this game so expensive? If I plan on putting money into it that seems like a waste. To buy a single color costs 1,000 MC? Is this a joke? There must be something I am not getting about this.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:09 AM

View PostCanned Beans, on 26 August 2017 - 11:11 PM, said:

These are some good answers, thank you everyone. Another question comes to mind, why is this game so expensive? If I plan on putting money into it that seems like a waste. To buy a single color costs 1,000 MC? Is this a joke? There must be something I am not getting about this.

first there are the 6 (If I remember correctly) "basic" colours that you can get for 2 million cbills each, you can get colours with Mech packs, for example the current "Thanatos" preorder comes with 3 colours if you purchase by the 31 August cutoff date, and most of the old multimech packs come with colours

colours and decals are a perminant unlocks when purchased, patterns if you buy one shot (a single application to a single Mech) are pretty cheep at something like 75mc, where as the unlock costs 10 times as much and is only valid for a single chassis, e.g. if you unlock Snowflake for the Atlas you would have to purchase again to put it on a Spider, and again for a Dire Wolf.

MWO is totaly free to play, but you do have to play for cosmetic items, early access to chassis or timesaving (heroes and bon us earnings varients)

like pretty much everything colours go on sale for 30-50% off a few times a year, and can be won in events. just keep an eye on the sales and events on the announcement page of the forums and the advert screen when you load into MWO

if you want lots of colours look at the older packs in the store, Clan Invasion 2 and 3, origions, and Resistance packs all come with "faction content picks" each faction content contains at least 3 colours (6 for Resistance 2 and Origions IIC) a faction cammo unlock for all chasis purchased in the pack, and some cockpit items
the first Clans pack also came with come colours but not as faction content.

spend $20 on the Jenner IIC or Wolfhound packs and you get 6 colours, $80 on the full Resistance 2 and you can choose 6 faction content picks with (assuming you do not choose any duplicates) 36 colours (which would cost about $150 to buy for MC at full price, just for the colours).

that is how people like me who have been playing since 2012 and purchased several packs can have well over 100 colours without outright buying many

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 27 August 2017 - 03:13 AM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:13 AM

View PostCanned Beans, on 26 August 2017 - 11:11 PM, said:

Free to play games usually fall into one of two categories: Pay to look cool/save time, or pay to win (exclusive weapons, etc.) MWO does its best to stay in the first category and has done so better than most.

Colors and patterns go on sale rather frequently, so that would be the time to go get them. 1,000 MC is the price of a "premium" color; the bright ones that might as well be glowing bullseyes. Part of the idea is to keep them kind of rare, since in the lore only royalty sports blindly bright colors.

The average color price is actually 750 MC, with the paints usually being 500 MC and only the bright ones being 1,000.
Since sales are frequent and 50% off we have the JC Penny effect (video explanation found here), so the actual prices are 250 and 500.

Regardless, 500 MC seems like a lot. This really depends. Sure a minimum purchase doesn't get much MC and so 500 MC at the smallest amount to buy comes out to $2.78. Hot diggity damn right?
Most people buy 30 dollars of MC at a time, that same 500 MC is then actually just $2.30. The more MC you buy at once, the less each MC actually costs you.

Colors being one time purchases, you get them for life. Pattern unlocks or even one shot patterns are pretty much the same (the one shots will only be on that mech and should not be changed; I change my patterns frequently so unlocks are far more economical for me.)

The cbill colors are some of the dullest ones around, but that plus a single paid color is more than enough to give a decent amount of variety. Colors also come with pre-orders and honestly that's a far cheaper route to collect colors with.

Sales on this and patterns vary between 35 and 50% off, and are frequent enough to just wait it out if you aren't in a hurry to get some.

Just don't buy mechs with MC, and even hero mechs.. wait for hero mechs to go on sale. The before-sale price isn't worth it. (Don't buy cbills with MC either; that's never worth while.)

Edited by Koniving, 27 August 2017 - 06:16 AM.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 06:20 AM

Far as the prices, I try to look at it this way. They got to keep the lights on, this is the only revenue they have (there are no other games by this developer that is getting them any money) and in the background, they are developing a single player Mechwarrior game titled Mechwarrior 5 Mercenaries, which also does not have a publisher so they are funding that out of pocket too.

This is the CEO playing a demo level of it at the last Mech Con.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

View PostCanned Beans, on 26 August 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

Hey I am playing the game but it's a very complicated one ya know?

Here are some things I am confused about:
6) Why are there so many more guns in Clan? For example all Innersphere gets is ER laser and normal lasers which all do less damage than clan lasers..?

7) Is this game imbalanced, clan weapons seemingly are just better yet Intersphere is cheaper??

Sorry for so many questions, I tried googling some of these but I have failed.

I would like to address these two.

6) It depends. The IS has some weapons that the Clans don't and vice versa.
  • For example the IS has Rotary Autocannons, which the RAC/5 can hit double the DPS as an Ultra/20. It has its drawbacks naturally.
  • The IS also has Light and Heavy versions of the Gauss Rifle, while the Clans do not.
  • The IS has one-use Rocket Launchers which are super light but heavily damaging weapons.
  • They also have "MRMs" which are basically 'streaming' SRMs with more than twice the range, go up to 40 missiles for a single launcher but have no tracking capabilities (fly in straight lines, too). They can be swept, though, so you can swing while firing to get them to spray a large area if you wanted.
  • IS also has 5 varieties of PPC (Light, Heavy, Standard, ER and Snub; which the Snub is supposed to be like a shotgun but there's no shotgun like effect here; it's just really short range with no minimum), while the Clans simply have the ER PPC.
  • The IS also has more armor options, including but not limited to a Stealth armor.
Meanwhile the Clan as you've noted,
  • have Heavy Lasers and Micro lasers in both ER and Pulse versions, both of which the IS does not.
  • Clans also have Advanced Tactical Missiles -- which rather than having three ammo types is using 3 different layers of damage depending on range.
7)Yes, the game mechanically has an imbalance but not an outright superior side.

It is by no means a perfect imbalance, but it tries.
Clan tech in lore is meant to be used alongside significantly reduced numbers of forces; in fact the Clan mentality is to outbid each other in who can get the job done with less.

That doesn't really work in a video game.

So PGI has tried some other methods.
For the most part, Clan weapons (except missiles; unless you count ATMs) have superior range. The lasers especially deliver per shot more damage in every case. This is countered by the fact that all of their weapons require more time on target. Even their autocannons fire in smaller damage bursts (pow pow pow), while the IS ACs deliver all the damage in a single blow (BOOM!!!).

Unfortunately this does lead to some logical fallacies, like why ACs have short range in the first place -- in lore they go out to 2,000 meters but to accurately hit anything with all the bullets [and for the AC/20's 7 shots, you actually got 6 magazines in lore, each having up to 100 shots -- but took that 100 shots to get 20 damage], the "accurate" range was pretty crappy. Another thing is mechs in lore aren't nearly as big as PGI has made them...even after shrinking most of them. Heh. But back on topic...

This balancing mechanic goes a bit farther than "more damage + longer range" countered by the IS's "faster delivery of damage (i.e. hitting harder, sooner," the IS can also churn through shots faster, so by the time a Clan ER Large Laser can churn in 2 shots, the IS ER Large has delivered at least 3. Sometimes 4 depending on quirks (this goes beyond the stats, explained a bit later on). Sure, the IS ER Large Laser only goes about as far as the Clan's ER Medium Laser, but that firing rate...

Clans are also better suited for soloists, as the Clans have a combat mentality that they call Zellbriggen (for a culture that idealizes proper English to the point that they ban contractions, it is surprising they use a non-English word to describe their combat mentality). The short definition is "One V One me, *****!" Many Clan mechs can stand against a single IS mech and sometimes 2 with ease, provided they aren't too close. Once "too close" comes into play, it's suicide to be a Clanner.

The IS is better suited for a teamwork mentality, if one thinks Xcom, Gears of War, or any cover based game, the goal is to wear down enemies, get close and annihilate them. Keep in mind, too, that despite faster firing rates, the IS ultimately runs colder than the Clans, allowing them significantly more thermal endurance which in turn actually makes brawling more favorable as an IS player as a single IS mech, provided being close enough, can churn through 2 or sometimes even 4 enemy Clan mechs of similar to smaller weight before overheating if well-played.

The IS has some counters for extremely long range engagements (including access to the two longest ranged weapons in the game, even if they are pretty weak) , even so in general they are disadvantaged in a long range fight, even with pop-and-shoot tactics.

(To note, IS generally has better acceleration and braking which makes them better suited for pop-and-shoot tactics, despite the fact that they are outmatched at extreme ranges).

The Clans are simply better at these ranges despite Clan's long beam times, thermal disadvantages with the ER PPC, and issues with extremely fragile Gauss Rifles (much more so than IS Gauss Rifles) which do kind of hamper their actual effectiveness at long range despite their superiority there.

So both are kind of give and take and very situational. But if fighting at long range + out in the open, the Clans would win every time. Exception if the IS mech is fast and moving diagonally, then it's anyone's guess (due to the necessity to hold targets for the Clans which is difficult to say the least in that case).

Clans excel at what I call medium-long range, up to medium range almost unchallenged.
There are some caveats and yes the new weapons provide the IS with a number of options here that sort of level the field but not entirely. General speed advantages by the Clans also tend to help them out, as do the shape of most of their mechs which encourage heavy forward armor placement, something that is far too risky for many IS mechs to actually do. Provided both the IS and Clan mechs are otherwise evenly matched, both cold, etc... the Clanner will almost always win at this range in a situation with no cover and no elevation changes -- and even in elevation changes, the Clanner would handle it better. Exception if the IS player has a pair of RAC/5s or AC/Ultra ACs in the class 5 to 10 in pairs (three for AC/5s) or greater; then the IS player would more than even that fight or possibly take a slight advantage.

ACs can be very powerful with good aim and their fast firing rate is quite useful. (This is only meant to show how quickly you can dispatch enemies using them).

Then you have medium-short to close range, and this is where the IS really hammers in on superiority and rightfully so. The IS in lore also had serious advantages up close; mainly in the form of literal street brawling. The IS was brutal in close combat with a savagery that the Clans couldn't understand (not that the Clans were foreign to the concept of hand to hand combat, but it was a foreign concept in mechanized combat due to how it brutalized and damaged both sides needlessly in a culture with vastly limited resources. (Then again, civilians "rioting" after being told that their planet was under Clan control was also a pretty foreign concept that led to such desperation that Clan Smoke Jaguar literally did an orbital bombardment against civilians armed with sticks, rocks, and molotov cocktails because they thought everyone had gone insane.)

No matter the situation, at medium-to-short range, otherwise close to evenly matched mechs with evenly skilled players, even if you lean some advantages in the Clan's favor, the IS mech will almost always win.

In MWO there's no melee combat (and most Clan mechs lack the hands to engage in it properly), but IS weapons fire significantly faster than IS weapons, more than even the stats say since the "Cooldown" (recharge, reload) doesn't start until the weapon finishes firing. IS missiles, most IS Autocannons, and IS Lasers all finish firing much quicker than their Clan counterparts. (Exception being IS MRMs and IS RACs). So not only is the damage instant to quicker in the case of lasers, but they are reloading/recharging sooner, firing again sooner, and running colder for every shot compared to the Clans which leads to an absolutely brutal encounter when fighting up close.

On weapon prices, more advanced weapons tend to cost a bit more. So ultras cost more than standard ACs for example. The Clans do not have any standard ACs; those lost favor and just went extinct. (the Clan ACs in MWO are actually Clan LBX's alt fire/alternate ammo type.. which PGI hasn't figured out how to do. There's a number of interesting minor differences between Clan ACs and Clan UACs that kind of lean one way or the other. Clan ACs definitely sound better.)

So even the IS has some super expensive weapons. Some of the cost is related to better materials (which would be a factor in Repair and Rearm, but that got removed years ago since players saw it as an unnecessary tax that hurt bad players).

The main thing though is due to the lore-based inferior nature of the IS, the IS mechs typically come with a lot of equipment that needs to be changed out, such as single heatsinks vs doubles, standard armor/structure, standard engines, etc. The Clans come stock with these and all mechs that come stock with them (IS and Clan) are somewhat discounted due to PGI's pricing logic (the Atlas K, a 26 million cbill mech, is only 13 million in MWO; same with the Dire Wolf that's supposed to be over 30 million). Buying the parts separate is ultimately more expensive and in the end the price difference between IS to Clan comes out to about 3 million above or below equal, depending on how many changes you do between two comparable mechs. If you didn't have to pay for Omnipod changes in the Clans, the IS would probably ultimately have equal to higher bills across the board without any real savings.

(In an R&R situation though, if faction play economics played a factor [i.e. possession of planets with resources, factories, etc], the IS would have blatant superiority in a battle of attrition as they do in lore; they produce mechs about as fast as they lose them, they have a lot more resources and they are closer. Meanwhile the endo steel for the Timber Wolf, until the Clans overtook the first endo steel facility in IS space that they encountered, would require at least a year of waiting before they could get more endo steel shipped from the homeworlds (way north of the map). Endo steel is also used in numerous other Clan applications, though Ferro is heavily used.

(LBX-10 for both sides uses a bit of endo and standard metals, where 'later' LBXs of both IS and Clan use a lot of ferro, which is why the slot counts are so borked for them, but in repair scenarios it's better to have those other ones since they would not only be cheaper to repair, but the supplies are more readily available, while LB-10s tend to fade in the background despite their overall superiority over, well, all the others; this isn't relevant in any way to MWO but it gives an idea of why LB-10 is better slot-and-tonnage wise to all the others).

Hope that helps.
Oh and btw, welcome to MWO.

Edited by Koniving, 27 August 2017 - 08:03 AM.

#10 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:28 AM

Welcome to MWO Canned Beans,

Are you planning to go full f2p or are you willing to spend some money?

If you are willing to part with some $, I would recommend having a look at the Collector packs. For your forty bucks you'll get four chassis, one that gives a 30% c-bill boost as well as 60 days of premium time, good value for the money. Premium time will really help with your initial grind. Opinions abound regarding mechs, that said, I you do decide to puchase a Collector pack, I would recommend looking at the IS Marauder as all the chassis are viable right off the bat. For mediums, I am very happy with the Bushwacker, the chassis are viable right away although my favourite versions are in the reinforcement pack, so an additional $15.

You only need to purchase one Colletor pack and you'll be well on your way.

Regarding hero mechs, imo the Bounty Hunter is great but requires some c-bill investment to get the most out of it. The High Roller is viable right out of the gate.

I run both IS and Clan mechs, and prefer battlemechs over omnis. Battlemechs are fully tweakable and come in both IS and Clan flavours. For me, one of the most fun aspects of the game is tweaking mechs in the mechlab.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 08:51 AM

(Better to go Standard pack + hero, then for 35 dollars you get the same stuff but 4 different variants instead of two identical variants where one just has a different paint scheme and 30% cbill bonus... since you'd still get a different paint scheme with the hero mech and 30% cbill bonus as opposed but on a unique mech as opposed to the "collector" main just being a duplicate of the main variant with those benefits.)

(You do get shorted on the premium time though, and some other preorder duplicates).

Edited by Koniving, 27 August 2017 - 08:53 AM.

#12 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 09:57 AM

View PostKoniving, on 27 August 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

(Better to go Standard pack + hero, then for 35 dollars you get the same stuff but 4 different variants instead of two identical variants where one just has a different paint scheme and 30% cbill bonus... since you'd still get a different paint scheme with the hero mech and 30% cbill bonus as opposed but on a unique mech as opposed to the "collector" main just being a duplicate of the main variant with those benefits.)

(You do get shorted on the premium time though, and some other preorder duplicates).

Yup, depending on the hero variant, that may be the better option, and certainly a good idea for the Bushwacker.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 27 August 2017 - 10:01 AM.

#13 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

Further to my last, if you purchase the Rifleman Collector pack, you can build equivalent or perhaps better Legend Killer (more energy hard points) with the -3N(S). You won't get the LK's quirks but at least you have that extra 30 days of premium time for only five bucks.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#14 Canned Beans

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:50 PM

Okay damn that is a lot of information. I will be coming over this a lot more later. Can you folks answer me a few questions more?

As an IS is there a point to normal lasers? aka isn't the ER-Medium laser just a straight upgrade to the regular Medium laser?

Also, if I don't like the Humpback what should I go for? I really love how the bushwacker looks, and I enjoy lasers. I kind of like missiles and lasers the most. I am not sure if my aim is good enough for any of the ACs.

Can you guys judge my match here? I took screenshots of the whole team and me too. I understand I didn't do nearly as well as most of the people on this team but, I am in trail mechs and I guess I'm still learning to aim.

Posted Image

Edited by Canned Beans, 27 August 2017 - 11:03 PM.

#15 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:56 PM

Welllllllll,

It's a rough question to answer well in terms of mechs... because what you like now may not be good for you later, particularly when/if you improve. You can get ideas and a rough feel for different mechs by riding ghost in spectate mode if you die early. That may be the best way to get a feel for different mechs that aren't trial.

As for is lasers... generally yes, but in all Er cases, the heat generated is higher. In some cases, quirks may favor lasers of one type (even std.) over another... or at least to be a less clear cut case. Regular/std. lasers are dependable baselines. Nothing exceptionally bad about them... it's a question of what you want to trade away for something enhanced.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:28 PM

View PostCanned Beans, on 27 August 2017 - 10:50 PM, said:

Okay damn that is a lot of information. I will be coming over this a lot more later. Can you folks answer me a few questions more?

As an IS is there a point to normal lasers? aka isn't the ER-Medium laser just a straight upgrade to the regular Medium laser?

Also, if I don't like the Humpback what should I go for? I really love how the bushwacker looks, and I enjoy lasers. I kind of like missiles and lasers the most. I am not sure if my aim is good enough for any of the ACs.

Point to normal lasers:
Colder, shorter firing duration makes it easier to focus damage on the target better (and since it stops shooting faster, it starts the recharge sooner and thus can shoot again sooner than the ER ML).

There's a lot of options.
You could go Bushwacker. Hunchback is typically recommended due to its extreme tankiness, very small size (making it hard to hit), how incredibly cheap it is to make it viable (the minimum is literally just add double heatsinks; poof done) and finally that it works with literally any playstyle.

Since you like lasers, have you considered a Crab? Has all the advantages of a Hunchback except the jack of all trades. It can achieve higher speeds than the Hunchback can dream of through customization and is almost exclusively an energy-only chassis.

You can really go with any mech you want. Just make sure you want it first. Since you're doing decent in faction play with the trials, I'd say you're already learning the ropes so I don't think you'll need the training wheels on your first mech. If the Bushwacker has a DHS / XL engine variant, get that first as it'll save you a boatload of funds in getting it ready to run how you want.

#17 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:40 PM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 30 August 2017 - 06:18 PM.
unconstructive, replies removed

#18 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:00 AM

View PostCanned Beans, on 27 August 2017 - 10:50 PM, said:

as others have already said, IS regular lasers are cooler, have shorter duration and therefore have a faster rate of fire than ER Lasers.
compaired to Pulse they are slower and slightly lower damage but they have longer range and weigh a lot less

if you like missiles and lasers look at the Griffin, the 2N and 3M each have 4 missile hardpoints and 2 energy, the 2N has ECM, the 3M has all 4 missiles on one side so you can go "deadside" meaning pack most of your firepower on one side so you can loose a side torso without loosing much combat effectiveness, and the Griffin's ams are big enough to effectively sheild the side torso when you twist, so what you do is alpha strike, twist 90 degrees, when the weapons are about charged twist back, fire, twist away, if using the 3M you would always twist to present your left side, with the 2N as your heavy hitting SRMs would be on each side alternate which side you twist
[edit]
if damage passes through 1 destroyed componany 60% of that damage is removed, if it passes through 2 destroyed componants you loose another 60% meaning 16% of the total damage would get to the CT if you loose the arm and side torso, and the enemy fire hits both, this can make the Griffin and other Mechs with effective sheild arms like the Atlas and Centurian extremely durable
[/edit]

the 1N has 3 lasers, 3 missiles, lasers on the right arm missiles on the left torso, this is hotter and less damaging up close as SRMs are much more heat efficent for the same damage than lasers

Can you guys judge my match here? I took screenshots of the whole team and me too. I understand I didn't do nearly as well as most of the people on this team but, I am in trail mechs and I guess I'm still learning to aim.

that was a faction play match, and you made more than a million cbills, you certainly did not do badly, 4 players did worse than you, and you were about average for your team, for a new player in trial Mechs that is an amazing performance, as for how well you realy did we can only guess without video footage but from the numbers all I can realy sugest is tri to be a bit more accurate.

edit: spelling and explaining the damage reduction mechanic

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 28 August 2017 - 01:31 AM.

#19 Canned Beans

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:12 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 28 August 2017 - 01:00 AM, said:

as others have already said, IS regular lasers are cooler, have shorter duration and therefore have a faster rate of fire than ER Lasers.
compaired to Pulse they are slower and slightly lower damage but they have longer range and weigh a lot less

if you like missiles and lasers look at the Griffin, the 2N and 3M each have 4 missile hardpoints and 2 energy, the 2N has ECM, the 3M has all 4 missiles on one side so you can go "deadside" meaning pack most of your firepower on one side so you can loose a side torso without loosing much combat effectiveness, and the Griffin's ams are big enough to effectively sheild the side torso when you twist, wo what you do is alpha strike, twise 90 degrees, when the weapons are about charged twist back, fire, twist away, if using the 3M you would always twist to present your left side, with the 2N as your heavy hitting SRMs would be on each side alternate which side you twist

the 1N has 3 lasers, 3 missiles, lasers on the right arm missiles on the left torso, this is hotter and less damaging up close as SRMs are much more heat efficent for the same damage than lasers

that was a faction play match, and you made more than a million cbills, you certainly did not do badly, 4 players did worse than you, and you were about average for your team, for a new player in trial Mechs that is an amazing performance, as for how well you realy did we can only guess without video footage but from the numbers all I can realy sugest is tri to be a bit more accurate.

I dunno if my computer can handle recording this game and playing it at the same time. This game is extremely unoptimized so that might burn it out doing that.

Edited by Canned Beans, 28 August 2017 - 01:12 AM.

#20 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:02 AM

One note - Inner Sphere ER lasers don't have longer duration than the standard ones anymore (July patch). They have longer cooldown and are way hotter.

Canned Beans - while speaking of medium lasers, I actually most often use the STD version. ER is just too hot for what it's worth on most builds, at least in my opinion

A simple (but extreme) example: my hunchback 4p has 9 med lasers (i have to fire them in groups of 6 and 3, because shooting too many weapons at once triggers additional heat). With that hunchback I can shoot all my lasers 4 times very rapidly to overheat just a little bit on a normal temperature map (waiting a second or two would allow me to fire 4th time without overheating). This allows me to do 180 total damage in rapid succession. With 4 er medium lasers, I overheat heavily after the 3rd shot, so I can quickly do only 135 damage, and that would send me to shutdown for quite a while (extremely dangerous) or cook up like half of my internal structure (can result in self-destruction). To not cook myself up at all , I would have to limit myself to 120 damage. To sum up, on this build er lasers mean better range, but at the cost of up to 1/3 damage reduction on short range fights.

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 28 August 2017 - 02:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users