Weapons Balance

43 replies to this topic

#1 Nema Nabojiv

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:38 AM

A history lesson.
A long time ago people boated two or more PPCs and a gauss rifle and did 35 pinpoint damage from any range. Preferrably while jumping, but it worked well in brawling too,
The projectile speeds for the two were almost identical and it helped a lot.
This meta was called poptarting and it was really cancerous back then.

To make the game less cancerous and more brawley PGI came up with several things
- the ghost heat for three and more PPCs
- charge-up mechanic for gauss
- PPC projectile speed was lowered to split the two even more
- Jump jet cockpit shake was introduced so you couldn't reliably aim while ascending
- JJ thrust was nerfed for heavy and assault mechs and they could not jump really high anymore

This all worked fine, and in my opinion the game got better. The gauss+2PPC poptarting still worked though but to a way lesser extent.

And now, the final blow was made when gauss was linked to the same ghost heat group as PPC and you shutdown after a single gauss+2PPC alpha now.

Effectively both the combo and poptarting is no more. The double gauss alpha is only 30 and you can easilly get it with two HPPC.

Thus all the reasons we have gauss charge-up in the first place are already adressed and its time to get rid of the damn thing.

A poll is here
https://mwomercs.com...e-gauss-charge/

Edited by Nema Nabojiv, 25 August 2017 - 01:41 AM.

#2 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:41 AM

Poptarting should have never been allowed in the first place. If you want your 360 degree no scope headshots, you should be playing something like COD, not a BT game.

All they had to do was make weapons very inaccurate while in mid air. As it is, i have no issues with holding the reticle on target while using JJs. There are literally no downsides to firing in mid air.

#3 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:48 AM

I personally hate the Gauss PPC pop tart meta. It favored clans 100% terrible for balance. Sniping meta's also make this game soooooo boring. You are in a GIANT ROBOT why stand far away pot shotting about, that's not fun to me. This is all my own opinion of course with very little worth to everyone else.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:16 AM

Removal of Gauss charge means it will become arguably better than IS AC20, even at close to mid range. So I vote no. Ideally JJ shake should stay even after it has been cut off mid air (perhaps reduced by 50%), cause poptarting is and was poisonous, even during MW4.

Edited by El Bandito, 25 August 2017 - 02:17 AM.

#5 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:23 AM

Give it up op. These forums are overrun by IS, and the devs will continue to do one thing nerf clans. Do you know I described the balance patch coming up? I described it as another round of clan nerfs, its what they do, and it is what they will continue to do. As for the ghost heat with gauss ppc, yea it sucks. What else is new? I will give the devs credit on one end, they have become experts at sending waves of nerfs to demoralize the clan player base.

#6 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:24 AM

This history lesson sucks, here is a more correct version.

Ghost Heat was introduced when the meta was the 6 PPC Stalker, or for those worried about heat, 4 PPCs and a Gauss Rifle.

Ghost Heat was limited to 2 PPCs, so everyone started using 2 PPC's and a Gauss Rifle since that was the new easiest one click wonder.

Then Gauss Charge up was added, so everyone used 2 PPCs and 2 AC5's instead because pressing two buttons instead of one was difficult.

Then Hover Jets became a thing.

Then Clans happened and mechs could suddenly pack enough ammo and heatsinks that 2 ERPPCs and 2 Gauss Riffles could be found on mechs that moved faster than 50.

Then the Kodiak came along and PGI got sick of seeing its attempts at e-sports being reduced to two teams made up of nothing but PPC's and Gauss Rifles, so they were linked with Ghost Heat,

#7 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:03 AM

My favourite mech has two ERL and two gauss. I won't lie, it would have a pair of PPCs instead if the other energy hardpoint would not be in the head limited to one slot.

I've not never understood the try-hard mentality.

#8 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:43 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 25 August 2017 - 02:16 AM, said:

Removal of Gauss charge means it will become arguably better than IS AC20, even at close to mid range.

It probably will. But not better than UAC20 and who uses ac20 if you can have ultra and do double damage.

#9 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:50 AM

But anyway, right now you rarely see gauss used as primary weapon bacause of its unwieldiness and the habit te explode from slightest bit of damage.
Removing the charge will adress that and wont make it OP in brawls, because again you can do 20 dmg burst with uac10 and 40 dmg with uac20 and they both have better cooldown.

Oh, and HPPC with same 15 damage at a cost of 90m min range which is nothing compared to the ability to fire instantly

Edited by Nema Nabojiv, 25 August 2017 - 03:52 AM.

#10 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:54 AM

View PostLances107, on 25 August 2017 - 02:23 AM, said:

Give it up op. These forums are overrun by IS, and the devs will continue to do one thing nerf clans. Do you know I described the balance patch coming up? I described it as another round of clan nerfs, its what they do, and it is what they will continue to do. As for the ghost heat with gauss ppc, yea it sucks. What else is new? I will give the devs credit on one end, they have become experts at sending waves of nerfs to demoralize the clan player base.

PGI continually nerfed clan tech because it was hilariously overpowered when introduced 3 years ago. There were brief moments of parity when PGI would god-quirk a handful of IS mechs to relevance but clan whining always prevailed and those quirks got knocked back down in balance patches. PGI has finally started addressing the baseline tech imbalance instead of using quirks as a band-aid, which naturally means some buffs and needs to weapons and equipment.

#11 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:02 AM

View PostPjwned, on 15 July 2017 - 02:57 PM, said:

Gauss + PPC was one of the reasons for adding gauss charge, another being that a lot of people didn't like how it was just an AC15 with way lower heat, way longer range, and higher projectile velocity, so almost nobody bothered using the AC20 or even the AC10 really.

Perhaps at the time that was their only reason for doing gauss charge, which would mean it was ever the sole reason, but I was particularly active both in the game and in the forums when that and other changes were being made, and I don't remember that being their only reason for the gauss charge at any point.

It's obvious that their position has at least (for good reason) evolved (if it ever changed) anyways, since otherwise the gauss charge would have gone away after addressing gauss + PPC, but it didn't. You may also recall that it was tested with no charge on the energy draw PTS and then PGI said they didn't like it and clearly would not have removed the charge even if energy draw had lived.

The gauss charge also addresses the snapshot capability at long range as well though, and on top of that gauss rifles used to have far lower projectile velocity before gauss charge was added and the very high velocity was very clearly justified by gauss charge being added.

I'm just not convinced that gauss charge should go away.

#12 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:03 AM

View PostNema Nabojiv, on 25 August 2017 - 03:43 AM, said:

It probably will. But not better than UAC20 and who uses ac20 if you can have ultra and do double damage.

HAHAHAHAHA! IS UAC20 is not markedly superior to IS AC20, due to its stream fire, long jam duration, and heat. You need to play IS more. All those CW mechs that use AC20, such as IS Orions, and Atlases have not switched to UAC20, cause of its shortcomings.

Edited by El Bandito, 25 August 2017 - 05:10 AM.

#13 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:19 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 25 August 2017 - 05:03 AM, said:

All those CW mechs that use AC20, such as IS Orions, and Atlases have not switched to UAC20, cause of its shortcomings.

I dont do cw when there is no events and I think balancing the game for the unpopular mode is a bad idea in general.

#14 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:25 AM

View PostNema Nabojiv, on 25 August 2017 - 05:19 AM, said:

I dont do cw when there is no events and I think balancing the game for the unpopular mode is a bad idea in general.

Doesn't matter one lick. CW is where players strive for the slightest of advantage, using their own tech. The fact that IS AC20 is far more popular than IS UAC20, even within good CW teams such as [MS], shows that IS UAC20 is not as good as you Clanners think it is.

Which brings us back to the point--no charge removal for Gauss, for that will obsolete AC20s. Unless Gauss CD is nerfed to 8 seconds or more.

Edited by El Bandito, 25 August 2017 - 05:28 AM.

#15 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:32 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 25 August 2017 - 05:25 AM, said:

Doesn't matter one lick. CW is where players strive for the slightest of advantage. The fact that IS AC20 is far more popular than IS UAC20, even within good CW teams such as [MS], shows that IS UAC20 is not as good as you Clanners think it is.

Well okay then, gauss gets better and IS mechs become stronk. Isn't it what they always wanted?

#16 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:36 AM

View PostNema Nabojiv, on 25 August 2017 - 05:32 AM, said:

Well okay then, gauss gets better and IS mechs become stronk. Isn't it what they always wanted?

Far from it. Should Gauss becomes universally better, it will benefit Clans way more than IS. Clan Gauss costs mere 12 tons, which means far more Clan mechs can use it than IS mechs, since IS mechs not only have to deal with 15 ton, 7 slot Gauss, but also 14 slot Endo/Ferro, and strictly inferior IS XL and LFE engines. And if you wish to remove charge on IS Gauss only, I will still say no.

The ONLY Gauss that deserves to have its charge removed, is the IS Light Gauss, cause that weapon is BAD.

Edited by El Bandito, 25 August 2017 - 05:48 AM.

#17 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:51 AM

I’m absolute sure that after removal of Gauss charge the Gauss would be the next target of the Nerf-Hammer. So a definite no thanks to that.

#18 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:54 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 25 August 2017 - 05:36 AM, said:

Should Gauss becomes universally better, it will benefit Clans way more than IS.

So it will be better than IS AC20 but clans will benefit from it more, is that right? I like the logic :)

And thats why we keeping a sorry mess which gauss is now. Because changing it will give some slight advantage in a mode in which minority of the playerbase actually plays.

#19 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:25 AM

View PostNema Nabojiv, on 25 August 2017 - 05:54 AM, said:

So it will be better than IS AC20 but clans will benefit from it more, is that right? I like the logic Posted Image

And thats why we keeping a sorry mess which gauss is now. Because changing it will give some slight advantage in a mode in which minority of the playerbase actually plays.

Sigh... you only see a small part of the whole. Giving Clanners edge will not only affect CW, but also QP, as mech/playstyle variety will decrease due to more and more people preferring Clan Gauss mechs, rather than IS mechs. We already had that stupid monotony in 2013, and I don't want to repeat that now.

#20 Maker L106

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:26 AM

View PostNema Nabojiv, on 25 August 2017 - 03:43 AM, said:

*Raises hand*

20 pinpoint CQC damage is pretty hard to say no to for what the basic AC20 gives you. The ultras nice but it jams and the rounds are burst... if they were lore IS-UAC20's... double dakka basically then yeah... i'd be allover that. but its not. so AC20 or Heavy Gauss work just as well if not better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users