Light Acs, Yay Or Nay?

10 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:06 AM

RACs are an interesting addition, so is the LGR and HGR for the IS roster. Likewise HMG and LMG are also quite a useful addition.

But while I do love the concept of the RACs, despite it's poor implementation, before the announcement of the Civil War Technology I honestly sought the Light ACs as the most useful ballistic addition mainly because they are the light cousins of the normal ACs which helps with the heavier nature of the IS equipment versus Clan, and was sure to be added to the roster -- clearly I was mistaken.

Though the Civil War Tech addition have passed, I still would like to present the Light Auto Cannons.

Light AC/2

Tons: 4
Slots: 1
Optimal Range: 620m
Max Range: 1240m
Damage: 2
Recycle Time: 0.72
DPS: 2.78
Heat/Shot: 0.80
Heat/Sec: 1.11
Projectile Speed: 1150
Ammo/Ton: 75

Light AC/5

Tons: 5
Slots: 2
Optimal Range: 450m
Max Range: 900m
Damage: 5
Recycle Time: 1.66
DPS: 3.01
Heat/Shot: 1.5
Heat/Sec: 1.90
Projectile Speed: 950
Ammo/Ton: 30

Light AC/10 (Non-Canon)

Tons: 8
Slots: 5
Optimal Range: 270m
Max Range: 540m
Damage: 10
Recycle Time: 2.50
DPS: 4.00
Heat/Shot: 4.0
Heat/Sec: 1.60
Projectile Speed: 650
Ammo/Ton: 20

The basic trend is that the light ACs would have the same damage profile but a lighter weapon, at a worse range profile and ballistic behavior, which is that of the heavier weapon on the series and heat/shot of their Ultra counterparts to not completely overshadow normal ACs or the UACs.

Say the LAC2 still do AC2 damage and DPS, but it has AC5 projectile speed and range profile, and runs like an Ultra AC2 in terms of heat. Simmilarly the LAC5 will still do AC5 damage and DPS, but it handles like an AC10, doing Ultra AC5 grade heat.

The Light AC/10 is a non-canon addition, but it's just there for thought. It deals AC10 damage/shot and damage/second, but it handles like an AC20 instead, and has Ultra AC10 heat values.

Those would have been something infinitely more useful than RACs, LGRs or HGRs, as they provide a better option for tonnage-starved mechs. It would be interesting to mount 2x LAC5 on an urbanmech. I would say it's next to the worth of the ERMLs and Light Fusion Engines in terms of usefulness.

If you're interested, here's a custom Urbanmech variant.

UM-R90Y

Cost: 4,328,108

Spoiler

Quirks:

RATE OF HEAT LOSS: 18.00 %
BALLISTIC VELOCITY: 20.00 %
ENERGY RANGE: -20.00 %
BASE ARMOR (CT): 20.00
BASE ARMOR (LT): 14.00
BASE ARMOR (RT): 14.00
BASE ARMOR (LA): 10.00
BASE ARMOR (RA): 14.00
BASE ARMOR (LL): 14.00
BASE ARMOR (RL): 14.00

LORE:

The brain-child of the ex-ComStar Chief Engineer Yuna Cassel, it was a radical idea of actually investing a good amount of money to improve an Urbanmech, it was developed along with the K9 Police variant in cooperation of various manufacturers.

Eschewing the standard AC10 is two Light Autocannon 5s -- AC5s with shorter barrels, producing the same damage per volley at a similar range profile, yet better DPS, lighter tonnage and smaller, at the down-side of being hotter. With two tons of ammunition, the R60Y can make use of it's autocannon at an extended period of time. The Small Laser on the left-arm has been replaced with two Extended Medium Laser, complementing the LAC/5, and it allows the Urbanmech to participate at a combat long after the ammunition has been exhausted. And a Level 1 Targeting Computer at the head allows faster calculation of firing-solutions.

To make room for such equipment made use of an Endosteel frame, Light 100 Engine allowing it to move at 54 KPH. And compensating for the hotter equipment is a total of ten Double Heat-Sinks.

Designated as R90Y -- "Y" as it was dedicated to honor Yuna with her contribution. It was introduced a year before the Word of Blake Jihad. Widely regarded as the most successful Urbanmech variant, but costing more than as twice as much as a standard Urbanmech at the paradigm that they are generally expendable, it sought less use.

Vote Here: https://mwomercs.com...ay-or-nay-poll/

Edited by The6thMessenger, 27 August 2017 - 05:06 AM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:09 AM

I'd love to have LAC2 and LAC5 in game--as it opens up some more options for the tonnage starved IS mechs. LAC10 is as you say, fictional, so no bueno.

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:11 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 27 August 2017 - 03:09 AM, said:

LAC10 is as you say, fictional, so no bueno.

I can dream can I? :P

But still, if there's just LAC2 and LAC5, i would be so happy.

#4 Savage Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:14 AM

LAC2 and LAC5 would be a fantastic for light and medium mechs with few balistic hardpoints so MGs are not an option. And AC2s have more range than you need anyway.

LAC10 would step into the territory where we already have options and where the loss of range actually hurts the weapon. But a nice suggestion. I don't mind adding non-lore weapons if they make sense for the game play.

#5 Jay Leon Hart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:18 AM

Yes, so long as we also add the ProtoMech ACs 2/4/8 at the same time.

Shame LACs and PMACs are out of the FCCW timeline (3068 & 3073, respectively).

#6 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:20 AM

View PostJay Leon Hart, on 27 August 2017 - 03:18 AM, said:

Yes, so long as we also add the ProtoMech ACs 2/4/8 at the same time.

Shame LACs and PMACs are out of the FCCW timeline (3068 & 3073, respectively).

Well, maybe.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 27 August 2017 - 03:21 AM.

#7 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:46 AM

Interestingly, 3068 opens up a whole host of new weapons & tech, including (but not limited to);
IS
Light AC - 2/5
Multi-Missile Launcher - 3/5/7/9
MG Array
Plasma Rifle
Heavy Flamer
Compact Gyro
Compact Fusion Engine (and by extension, the Wight)

Clan
Hyper-Assault Gauss rifles - 20/30/40
MG Array (technically 3069, but the other MGs were already fudged)
Heavy Flamer (3067, should already be available)

Another hop, skip and jump to 3069 brings us;
IS
Improved Jump Jet

Clan
Anti-Personnel Gauss Rifle
Plasma Cannon
Improved Heavy Laser
Improved Jump Jet

Well into Jihad territory now Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 27 August 2017 - 03:52 AM

I think it should have been in first. But. Where do we stop? We needed more but is there going to be too many? (3069)

#9 Savage Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:01 AM

Don't let the timeline decide what tech we have. Let the game play decide. The timeline is arbitrary in an online shooter.

#10 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 04:20 AM

I already have a custom urbanmech in mind.

UM-R90Y

Cost: 4,328,108

Spoiler

Quirks:

RATE OF HEAT LOSS: 18.00 %
BALLISTIC VELOCITY: 20.00 %
ENERGY RANGE: -20.00 %
BASE ARMOR (CT): 20.00
BASE ARMOR (LT): 14.00
BASE ARMOR (RT): 14.00
BASE ARMOR (LA): 10.00
BASE ARMOR (RA): 14.00
BASE ARMOR (LL): 14.00
BASE ARMOR (RL): 14.00

LORE:

The brain-child of the ex-ComStar Chief Engineer Yuna Cassel, it was a radical idea of actually investing a good amount of money to improve an Urbanmech, it was developed along with the K9 Police variant in cooperation of various manufacturers.

Eschewing the standard AC10 is two Light Autocannon 5s -- AC5s with shorter barrels, producing the same damage per volley at a similar range profile, yet better DPS, lighter tonnage and smaller, at the down-side of being hotter. With two tons of ammunition, the R60Y can make use of it's autocannon at an extended period of time. The Small Laser on the left-arm has been replaced with two Extended Medium Laser, complementing the LAC/5, and it allows the Urbanmech to participate at a combat long after the ammunition has been exhausted. And a Level 1 Targeting Computer at the head allows faster calculation of firing-solutions.

To make room for such equipment made use of an Endosteel frame, Light 100 Engine allowing it to move at 54 KPH. And compensating for the hotter equipment is a total of ten Double Heat-Sinks.

Designated as R90Y -- "Y" as it was dedicated to honor Yuna with her contribution. It was introduced a year before the Word of Blake Jihad. Widely regarded as the most successful Urbanmech variant, but costing more than as twice as much as a standard Urbanmech at the paradigm that they are generally expendable, it sought less use.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 27 August 2017 - 05:06 AM.

#11 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 August 2017 - 05:17 AM

I totally support the LAC 2/5.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users