Double Xp Weekend!

106 replies to this topic

#81 suffocater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 570 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:15 PM

I like double XP weekends. I mastered three mechs now over the course of the event.

Edited by suffocater, 05 September 2017 - 12:33 PM.

#82 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:28 PM

Well, I'm only arriving back here just a short hour or two before the Event ends, and I've had no physical access to a computer during the Event until now. In case anyone was wondering, my situation has been beyond my control, and there was no way I could gain access to a computer to even get near MWO. Seeing as PGI didn't listen to me prior to the Event, and think about making this longer-running like several of their better Events have been, I'm rendered unable to start the Event anyway, without regard to how I might be feeling. (And to answer that extra question, yeah, I've always had bad luck when I try to start Events, no matter how hard I try to break past it, so I really needed extra time anyway. I'm NOT some damn wizard.) Frankly, this burns me out for a bit, having been pushed past my limits in terms of stress combined with lack of access. Maybe those 3 Days of Active Premium Time which I still have not activated yet will be useful later for catching up, I don't know. -_-

Personal Event Review Rating, for those who are curious? 0/10 -- Event design does NOT matter if you're rendered unable to start between the combination of a company's heartlessness in terms of duration and being physically without access for the whole Event due to unavoidable problems that go well beyond your control. :angry:

Now with that out of the way, it's time for some question answering... B)

View PostZortPointNarf, on 03 September 2017 - 10:43 PM, said:

Is it just me or did they increase the event duration?

No, they failed to increase the Event Duration, even though I put out a post to alert PGI's Staff before the Event began. It's still the same duration as before the Event started, and I get horribly [bleep]ed because of it. Heck, I would have needed to play at least 90 to 120 matches at the minimum to have any chance with this Event, because I'm a 'Below-Average, Low-End Tier 2' pilot. I'll probably be getting my rear blasted back down into being an 'Awful, Worse-Than-Below-Average, Piece-Of-Junk, Low-End Tier 3' again now. :(

View PostWiNNiep00h, on 05 September 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

View PostAramuside, on 05 September 2017 - 01:46 AM, said:

<<<snip>>>

Yup been saving them ever since they started talking about changes. Posted Image

oh first time that i hear about that. is there any infomation what they want to change? it will be better or worse?^^ i planned to open my 111 caches but maybe i should also wait?

I see you didn't hear -- or should I say, read -- the News about that. Have a look at the RoadMap Post @ https://mwomercs.com/news/2017/08/1874-roadmap-for-september-october-beyond, and scroll down to the bottom, where the "New Supply Cache System" header is. Please, enjoy reading and learning. :)

~Mr. D. V. "I'm sure anyone who skilled up is going to be making me a clubbed seal for a bit..." Devnull

[One minor Edit by Post Author for a few digits that didn't render big enough...]

Edited by D V Devnull, 05 September 2017 - 03:29 PM.

#83 Xaat Xuun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 954 posts
  • LocationA hypervelocity planet

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:36 PM

for me, the Double XP was great, the cache keys and cache okay . .
. . . but for my Alt, even with free keys for a chance of something, still wasn't enough to cover the C-Bill cost of adding SP, from the Double XP event.
Still cool, just the alt has to wait till he earns more C-bills before adding the SP

#84 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 04:41 PM

As a new player I enjoyed the event. Managed to get 15/15 QP and 12/15 FP (enough matches just not enuff points). FWIW for QP you need a win, for FP, you just need 100 pts. I got a crate/key for losses, even a tie, when I got >100 pts.

#85 Mad Skull

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

I hope they do more challenges like this. I love the supply cash one. My wife played more this weekend then she ever has.

#86 Mad Skull

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

View Postarcana75, on 05 September 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

As a new player I enjoyed the event. Managed to get 15/15 QP and 12/15 FP (enough matches just not enuff points). FWIW for QP you need a win, for FP, you just need 100 pts. I got a crate/key for losses, even a tie, when I got >100 pts.

Welcome to MechWarrior Online.
What do you think so far?

#87 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:38 PM

View PostMad Skull, on 05 September 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

Welcome to MechWarrior Online.
What do you think so far?

Thanks. What do I think of what so far? MWO in general? The events?

First thing's first. I. Hate. PvP.

I came from HBS's BT beta and am a long time fan of BT since the 80s (tabletop & PC). MWO as a real-time PvP game, it plays alot like tank games eg World of Tanks, War Thunder. Heck, mechs are pretty much tanks with legs anyway. I played War Thunder tank mode a fair bit (it's F2P but I spent US$90 on it) and in many ways the combat ends up the same with War Thunder in MWO: a messy firing line of snipers, ganging up on foolish players caught stranded, map mastery of good spots to hide and plink away. Pretty much everyone's lobbing shots at each other from range. I saw this in War Thunder, and I see this in MWO, be it FP or QP. TBH QP is more fun, because the whole IS vs Clan thing, gives Clans the advantage based on this playstyle cuz Clan weapons are better at range, and very few players play to the IS advantage of sheer brute force. In my humble and newb view.

Due to the firing line playstyle, my own personal favourite playstyle is boom and zoom, so my first mech was the Arctic Cheetah with SRMs and pulse lasers. It fit my playstyle quite well, running the flanks and causing panic. I decided on this thanks to the Jenner IIC trial mech. I read up on builds and went with the Arctic Cheetah cuz the Jenner IIC with SRMs seemed abit big for a light mech and abit one-dimensional with SRMs, whereas with the Arctic Cheetah, I could switch around if I fancied it in the future. Maybe I made a mistake I dunno, I see forums talking about Jenners running SRMs doing wonderful work.

For FP, cuz my unit was on an IS contract, I had to run trials until I plucked up the courage to buy a Blackjack-3 and a Warhammer-6D. Not much playtime with them but it's probably my lack of skill cuz I don't do extremely well on them. I believe any build can be viable some more than others, as long as the pilot can deal with it, so I won't comment too much on builds and whatnot, but I can say the WH-6D was an error cuz I meant to buy the 6R for the ballistics cuz I wanted to try guns. An expensive error I cannot undo cuz I have only 1m C-Bills left.

As events go, as a newb I loved it, it allowed me to level up my skill tree fast, I was limited only by my c-bills, ie not enuff to buy mechs so I "wasted" alot of XP playing trial mechs and in many ways gimping my team with an invasion deck of trials. The event opened me up to Faction Play and the invasion/scout deck and modes, and that Inner Sphere map, which imo is good, opens up more of the game to players. This event also prompted me to get the Tournament Support Pack. This event and hopefully many more to come, is a great way to get new and intermediate players to hammer in alot of hours quickly over a short period of time to take advantage of the boost and clear the hurdle of fielding an unskilled mech into the battlefield. Hopefully the devs are considering a weekly or bi-weekly event, and hopefully centered around 3 things: XP, C-Bills, Faction Points.

The one beautiful thing that MWO has? Incentivising gameplay over kills. You can do everything else except kill and still have progress. This one aspect is a thing of beauty.

If I may comment on the state of affairs of the forum... those stickies really need to be updated, many of them have outdated info for new players. For example there's still a sticky for mech mastery and buying 3 variants, buying modules, unlocking basic skills etc, which confused me cuz it's all gone. As a new player looking for info, the stickies do a bad job. I rely solely on Google and asking my unit mates on Discord. I also see some "bad" advice from players, in forums, in threads where new players ask for mech advice. I see players genuinely give new player advice, and I see some players give IMHO poor advice based on the "I did it the hard way so should you" school of thought. Every other post I see "buy X mech to learn Y". I understand the motivation behind such advice ("it's for your own good!") but IMHO new players want to have fun first, then if the game appeals to them dive deeper and start learning the lessons, not start learning from day 1 then hope it sticks, cuz it won't.

Oops went on too long lol...

#88 VXJaeger

• The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 September 2017 - 08:44 PM

View PostWarmasterRaptor, on 05 September 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

Sell them
And enjoy the free cbills

Not even worth selling. Seems that the whole cache-roulette is fixed not to give you any valuable stuff like mechs.
It just goes around same 7 or 8 item cycle giving you same items over and over again. I now have 70 MC-UAVs...hoorah.

#89 ZortPointNarf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts
  • LocationIsle of Man

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:45 PM

View Postarcana75, on 05 September 2017 - 07:38 PM, said:

Thanks. What do I think of what so far? MWO in general? The events?

First thing's first. I. Hate. PvP.

...Shortened Posted Image

Oops went on too long lol...

I myself hate PvP, yet here I am 1300 Hours later still loving it in giant stompy robots of death and salt.

Your choice of an Arctic Cheater as your first mech was inspired, mine was an Adder Prime, the one is like piloting a jet fighter the other a blimp.

Fully agree with your observations regarding play styles for game modes, if you can remain patient then in due time you will make all of them work (hence why I play Merc).

Boom and Zoom is a fun play style, but can end in tears just as quickly. I have the blackjacks too, they are hard mechs to play, and require you to stick with the assaults and use them as meat shields, though there are guys out there that just wreck faces with it.

I detest the time locking aspect as a merc in FW, instead of preventing me from switching, it would be better if they just reduced your earning as part of your fine during the cooldown period. Would make switching especially for new players discovering FW a lot easier.

Can see you've already learned from your mistakes, so kudos, whats nice now is you no longer need 3 mechs to master so you can focus on the ones you like and possibly sell the ones you don't (heresy).

I would highly recommend you acquire premium time in order to increase your rate of return for cbills, these packs: https://mwomercs.com/light-mastery-bundle are the best bang for buck, you get a hero mech, 2 other mechs, their bays as well as 30 days premium time. It really cuts down the grind a lot.

Welcome to MWO, stomp you later Posted Image

Edited by ZortPointNarf, 05 September 2017 - 09:47 PM.

#90 PeterPansen

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:14 PM

Just opened 18 caches. Two of them were the ones with "WLF-1B" and "Classy Mech" as ultra rare items. Both got me an uncommon "GOAT" decal. Last week I had the exact same cache and it got me the friggin "GOAT" decal aswell. What are the odds for this rubbish? Or did they forget to activate the random generator on these caches? Quite fishy an seriously anoying..

#91 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:42 AM

View PostZortPointNarf, on 05 September 2017 - 09:45 PM, said:

I would highly recommend you acquire premium time in order to increase your rate of return for cbills, these packs: https://mwomercs.com/light-mastery-bundle are the best bang for buck, you get a hero mech, 2 other mechs, their bays as well as 30 days premium time. It really cuts down the grind a lot.

Welcome to MWO, stomp you later Posted Image

Thanks! So when premium time says banked it means what? The item stays in my inventory until I decide to consume it for the 30 days of premium? I don't have time to play it now but December yes. It also sounds like buying mech bundles but actually for the premium time. How do the steam bundles compare? I have been told they suck.

View PostPeterPansen, on 05 September 2017 - 11:14 PM, said:

Just opened 18 caches. Two of them were the ones with &quot;WLF-1B&quot; and &quot;Classy Mech&quot; as ultra rare items. Both got me an uncommon &quot;GOAT&quot; decal. Last week I had the exact same cache and it got me the friggin &quot;GOAT&quot; decal aswell. What are the odds for this rubbish? Or did they forget to activate the random generator on these caches? Quite fishy an seriously anoying..

Going by the Dev notes shouldn't we wait till the changes to supply crates before opening them? Having everything in the crate but not being able to peek in, is vastly superior to getting just one item out of eight. Although 2018 is kinda far away maybe we'll stop playing by then.

#92 MrKvola

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 329 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 01:48 AM

View Postarcana75, on 06 September 2017 - 12:42 AM, said:

Thanks! So when premium time says banked it means what? The item stays in my inventory until I decide to consume it for the 30 days of premium? I don't have time to play it now but December yes. It also sounds like buying mech bundles but actually for the premium time. How do the steam bundles compare? I have been told they suck.

You can activate banked premium time 30 days at a time whenever you choose to from your profile page right here (next to the LOGOUT button, top right).

'Mech (or Mastery, as they used to be called) bundles give you 3 of the same chassis - for example a Raven Mastery bundle gives you the hero (Huginn) and 2 other Raven chassis - the 3L and 4X. Now since the rule of three is gone you don't actually need to have to get 3 of the same chassis to maximize their potential. In my opinion however all of these 'mechs play a little different (and for the hero the difference is quite significant) and if you like the chassis it is quite worth it to try out more options. My favourite Raven is the 2X for example...

Also, I just noticed that the Premium Time associated with 'mech bundles is now active, not banked anymore (I think it was banked before, but don't quote me on that :) ).

The Steam bundles give you 2 'mechs, each one a different chassis - one Clan and one IS. Both of these have a 30% c-bill earnings bonus. I would probably recommend you to steer away from the current light and assault bundles, I believe that they require a certain amount of experience to enjoy properly (in other words, I think that the 'mechs are OK, you just need to know stuff to be able to make them shine). I think that the previous bundle choices were better. Premium time awarded with these is also active, not banked.

In addition to all that there are 'mech packs. The older ones still have banked premium time, but again you get 3 or more 'mechs of the chassis you order, depending on the type of pack you order. The latest 'mech packs only contain active Premium Time.

#93 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:11 AM

Thanks MrKvola, I guess I can wait till something else comes along maybe something special when MechCon or Black Friday comes around.

#94 ZortPointNarf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts
  • LocationIsle of Man

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:12 AM

View PostMrKvola, on 06 September 2017 - 01:48 AM, said:

RE

Agreed, I would not recommend the steam ones till you've gained a better understanding of your personal play style to be able to determine if you would like the two mechs in it, and then only buy it when it goes on sale. The 30% CB boost goes a long way to keeping funded, so using pure mc to get a hero mech may be worth it.
The December grind is great, they usually have a great event(s) during that time of year, and october is mechtober which will screw over your life completely :)

#95 WiNNiep00h

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 05 September 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

I see you didn't hear -- or should I say, read -- the News about that. Have a look at the RoadMap Post @ https://mwomercs.com/news/2017/08/1874-roadmap-for-september-october-beyond, and scroll down to the bottom, where the "New Supply Cache System" header is. Please, enjoy reading and learning. Posted Image

oh thx ... sounds interesting. i wonder what happens to my 110 keys if the new caches doesnt need keys. Would be nice to get 25MC for each :D

#96 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:02 PM

View PostWiNNiep00h, on 06 September 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

oh thx ... sounds interesting. i wonder what happens to my 110 keys if the new caches doesnt need keys. Would be nice to get 25MC for each Posted Image

As a new player I read that over the past years there's been a few "refund" events as systems change. When those things (eg Player Modules) changed, what was the refund proposition? Also MCs? I'd like some MCs please :)

#97 Tahawus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:22 PM

Opened 43 supply caches. (42 from the event). Zero of the yellow border, three orange, the rest the most common categories. Seems about par for the course, though still disappointing.

#98 MrKvola

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 04:52 AM

View Postarcana75, on 06 September 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

As a new player I read that over the past years there's been a few "refund" events as systems change. When those things (eg Player Modules) changed, what was the refund proposition? Also MCs? I'd like some MCs please Posted Image

MC consumables were refunded as MC when the Skill Tree was implemented, for example. I got 2700 MC or so from these...

#99 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:02 AM

View PostMrKvola, on 07 September 2017 - 04:52 AM, said:

MC consumables were refunded as MC when the Skill Tree was implemented, for example. I got 2700 MC or so from these...

Have non-MC things ever been refunded for MC?

#100 MrKvola

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 329 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:04 AM

View Postarcana75, on 07 September 2017 - 05:02 AM, said:

Have non-MC things ever been refunded for MC?

I don't think so. And I also do not think that there would be any reason to do so.

Cache keys are MC only though, so refunding them in MC makes sense. And I do not see any real way to differentiate keys bought by MC from keys won in events - so in case they go away it would not be fair to take MC from the people that invested it into keys and perhaps replace the keys with something else as the replacement may not be desirable for the user. The best way to proceed is to simply refund MC and that is what I expect will happen in case the keys are removed.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users