Current Meta Has Destroyed Mid To Long Range Mech Design

84 replies to this topic

#1 Rifleman89

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:23 AM

If you try to play a mid range medium mech, or heaven forbid, a mid range support heavy mech, you're wasting your time. Your hardpoints cannot compete with the lights. They will find you and kill you quickly. WTFG PGI. Even if you stay in the back of your firing line, the ECM light will come tear you apart and be able to run away without repercussion. Don't even dream of getting on a flank, now you die without any chance of survival........ WTFG PGI!! All you'll have soon is Assault LRM boats and lights, unless you fix this mess.....
Rant mode: OFF.

#2 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, the light queue is totally known for being the most popolous... right...

Anyway, as one of those dastardly ECM light pilots I can tell you one thing: the only chance I have actually bringing down a heavy Mech without support is if said heavy Mech commits a series of mistakes. Not just a single mistake, but a series of mistakes like going alone (usually too far behind the own firing line), bad positioning, and not knowing basic anti-light tactics.

#3 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:45 AM

what? Inner Sphere laser vomit is mid to long range and its powerful. Clan laser vomit (while not as powerful as IS imo) can still do something. Gause rifles still do work. PPCs still do work. Sounds like to me you are isolating yourself and getting rushed by lights while using weapons not suited to dealing with lights.

Most of my builds are mid to long while I do have some mid to short builds as well and I do well with both. Not seeing the problem here.

#4 Ruar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 09:48 AM

Part of the problem is your definition of medium to long range might not be the same as others. Especially if you are using ERLL and think of long range as 1k and medium as 800m.

I would say mixed range builds are needed. One or two weapons for long range and a couple for closer in. That way you can compete if you get jumped.

#5 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,840 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:03 AM

I know I have a book about how not to deal with this stuff...

Meanwhile while I look for this book dealing with lights especially ECM ones, they punish you for your constant mistakes mostly if you ignore them within the small spam of 2 to 5 seconds as they can core out you back and dance on what remains of your broken down machine. Also mid range is not viable lol it's at it strongest after they pour cement over the casket of Guass PPC combo.

I suggest you start keeping watch on your rear, or if you too lazy equip a BAP/(Light)CAP to help detect ecm lights or get seismic since it's not effective by ecm and all you need to do is to be stationary for a small bit of time to know where the pest is coming from.

#6 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:08 AM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 03 September 2017 - 10:03 AM, said:

I know I have a book about how not to deal with this stuff...

Meanwhile while I look for this book dealing with lights especially ECM ones, they punish you for your constant mistakes mostly if you ignore them within the small spam of 2 to 5 seconds as they can core out you back and dance on what remains of your broken down machine. Also mid range is not viable lol it's at it strongest after they pour cement over the casket of Guass PPC combo.

I suggest you start keeping watch on your rear, or if you too lazy equip a BAP/(Light)CAP to help detect ecm lights or get seismic since it's not effective by ecm and all you need to do is to be stationary for a small bit of time to know where the pest is coming from.

Or just pay attention to the minimap, which goes haywire if an enemy mech has ECM in disrupt mode nearby.

#7 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,840 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:12 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 03 September 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

Or just pay attention to the minimap, which goes haywire if an enemy mech has ECM in disrupt mode nearby.

Forgot that, thanks for adding on to the list.

Edited by Battlemaster56, 03 September 2017 - 10:12 AM.

#8 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:25 AM

At the present moment in quick drops, Streaks are good for dealing with pest control. Perhaps I wouldn't recommend this if you're playing an Assault or Heavy mech, but it's been more than a safe bet if you're in a Medium. Farm those machine gunning twerps.

#9 ApolloKaras

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:32 AM

View PostFLG 01, on 03 September 2017 - 09:40 AM, said:

Yeah, the light queue is totally known for being the most popolous... right...

Anyway, as one of those dastardly ECM light pilots I can tell you one thing: the only chance I have actually bringing down a heavy Mech without support is if said heavy Mech commits a series of mistakes. Not just a single mistake, but a series of mistakes like going alone (usually too far behind the own firing line), bad positioning, and not knowing basic anti-light tactics.

This x1000.

I got out of a drop earlier today in a locust. I found an Annihilator completely by himself with no support. His first mistake that he thought it would be okay to put something like a Standard 265 in his mech. There would have been no way for him to keep up....

#10 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:35 AM

This just in:

OP cannot shoot 30 damage to disarm Light mechs

OP needs to go to the store, and get himself some gud

#11 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,917 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 10:52 AM

a medium pilot needs to be proficient in dispatching lights. thats kind of one of your jobs. to shoot squirrels off of your assault mechs and generally keep them out of your ranks.

also mid to long range destroyed? lol. i dropped 6 times yesterday and all 6 of those games were long range camp n lerm fests on big maps. only time i got to brawl was when i gave up and dropped in fp, got sulfurous rift defence and pretty much got to farm a potato team.

Edited by LordNothing, 03 September 2017 - 10:53 AM.

#12 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:21 AM

View PostFireStoat, on 03 September 2017 - 10:25 AM, said:

At the present moment in quick drops, Streaks are good for dealing with pest control. Perhaps I wouldn't recommend this if you're playing an Assault or Heavy mech, but it's been more than a safe bet if you're in a Medium. Farm those machine gunning twerps.

Don't forget ATMs. A light running away hits optimal range just after target lock...

#13 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 11:49 AM

Mid range is dead? What?

#14 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:30 PM

to be honest, the best weapon i use for taking care of lights is the AC20, or UAC20. Pulse lasers are ok, but nothing stops a light in their tracks like a big ol AC slug

#15 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:32 PM

View PostJC Daxion, on 03 September 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

to be honest, the best weapon i use for taking care of lights is the AC20, or UAC20. Pulse lasers are ok, but nothing stops a light in their tracks like a big ol AC slug

LB-20X.

RIP crit-Lynx.

#16 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:38 PM

Alternatively, you can take your medium~heavy "mid-range support" mech and it's ~50 damage alpha, hit the light mech in its ~42 total HP (armor and internals combined) leg, leg it in one shot, and then core it on the next shot.

Assuming, of course, that you're not doing something incredibly silly like boating LRMs with few/no backup weapons, sitting as far back (and away from your team's support) as you can, and then whining that a light mech is doing the one thing light mechs are good for (punishing bads for making multiple large mistakes).

#17 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:29 PM

View PostRifleman89, on 03 September 2017 - 09:23 AM, said:

If you try to play a mid range medium mech, or heaven forbid, a mid range support heavy mech, you're wasting your time. Your hardpoints cannot compete with the lights. They will find you and kill you quickly. WTFG PGI. Even if you stay in the back of your firing line, the ECM light will come tear you apart and be able to run away without repercussion. Don't even dream of getting on a flank, now you die without any chance of survival........ WTFG PGI!! All you'll have soon is Assault LRM boats and lights, unless you fix this mess.....

Wut? Stay in your group, make sure you're pumping firepower in to help your light elements deal with theirs, then win.

The problem lies in many pilots not considering lights an immediate threat, nor their lights being valuable resources in keeping them from gnawing you to death. I love it when I see enemy lights being engaged by my own scouts, there's gonna be "INCOMING MISSILES" happening ASAP, if an unintercepted light is incoming it's getting fed ATMs and laser fire posthaste until it's either neutered or bugs out. Don't chase the squirrel, but don't be afraid to pop it one when it thinks it's a good idea to make an attack pass. Do take lights attacking someone in LOS as an excuse to burn them a new piehole, too.

Lights get more dangerous as match time increases. Kill them early and you're swinging the game in your favor in a hurry, assuming your own lights are smart enough to be patient on the big targets and helping cover you against the smaller ones.

t. The guy in that big ol' missile boat who respects anything smaller and faster than he is as dangerous.

#18 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:33 PM

Both of those scenarios sound like you are YOLOing and getting caught alone versus the lights.

The best defense against a light is another teammate.

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 03 September 2017 - 02:33 PM.

#19 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:49 PM

Clan laservomit is incredibly string right now. 9 MPLs, 2HLLs and some MPLs/CERMLs is a 64-80 by burn.

Gauss + laservomit is the same. Often an 80 pt burn.

Mid range play is the strongest it's been in a while - for Clans anyway.

The key to lights is sticking together. Best way to get rid of a light is a teammate.

If you're off alone you deserve to die with no damage done and your team lost nothing of value. Never be that guy.

#20 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 02:54 PM

Uh, what? The most common mech in FP on non-hot maps is laser vomit built for mid-long range.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users