Mwo Crashing And How To Fix It.

18 replies to this topic

#1 old account 43

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 09:57 PM

As you all know, Many of you have been suffering from MWO crashes. This included me until I finally figured out whats casing it.

Its you Internet Security Software. In my case it was Norton, McAfee and also now Avast Prime detecting the game as a hostile intruder.

The game isn't coming up as a Virus, but as a hack attack when it has a slow or delayed load time. I don't know why but i would have to do a reboot some times to fix it. If you are noticing that part of MWO was deleted, mostly its the user data. (I use the steam version of the game)

My solution to this was to simply uninstall the security program and just use Avast Free. I am having no issues what so ever after doing this.

I have talked to PGi, and Bobby said I should contact Norton.... Basically its just an issue that might be know and PGi isn't going to dickk with it.

Edited by Cuckold Warrior, 04 September 2017 - 09:58 PM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:30 PM

Before doing that, one should always run the repair tool first. I would also recommend the Steam version, over other alternatives.

#3 kesmai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 04 September 2017 - 11:51 PM

The best thing to stop crashes: Do not alt-tab.
I'm not joking.

#4 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:00 AM

I only used the AVAST free

I would have disco's when I dropped against the Clan team in FP
never against a IS team (when I was IS that is)

sometimes I would disco when I got near a Gen in FP

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:29 AM

a long time ago i started getting crashes. they started to get regular. nothing had changed other than mwo itself. mostly either manifested as a driver crash, or failure to render the game properly (random polygons everywhere) but otherwise keeps on running, but the game is unplayable because you cant see anything. this mostly manifested on forest colony (about 90% of crashes), but also seen in new caustic at certain points in its day-night cycle and near a specific location on new frozen city being the main offenders.

i had switched to dx9 which initially helped reduce crashes. i did one test where i tried reducing graphics settings which actually made crashes worse, as did increasing them. operating on a hunch that these issues really started to get bad when the switch to 2k textures happened i reduced texture size and that seemed to help. eventually i started testing dx 9 vs 11 and determined that 11 tends to crash more gracefully, not requiring a system reboot to reset the video card (polygons persisted beyond game termination on 9) and a lot less frequently. also did a power supply swap to a very old psu that did clean up some issues, but did not completely fix them. needless to say i have found a configuration that is pretty stable if not optimal to hold me over till i can swing some upgrades. should point out that my framerates usually hold a stable 60fps.

going to get a new mobo, new cpu cooler, new video card and a new psu to see if those will clean up isues. im still on a 4790k and there really isnt a superior replacement available in my current budget range. but all parts are approaching the 3 year mark which is where my rigs usually start to go **** up. so this everything but the cpu upgrade (sidegrade?) its really quite the conundrum.

#6 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:41 AM

I use AVG Free, never had issues. Also, use full windowed mode. Not windowed, not full screen; full windowed. That simple change does a LOT to make the game more stable for people that have issues (including alt-tab crashes).

#7 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:10 AM

View Postkesmai, on 04 September 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

I'm not joking.

Use full window mode instead of full screen mode and you can alt-tab all you want. If you don't wanna do that, then always bear in mind that alt tabbing is most likely to cause crashes during QP when the screen transitions from mode selection to loading screen, and then match wait screen.

Edited by El Bandito, 05 September 2017 - 01:17 AM.

#8 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 05 September 2017 - 01:25 AM

when I went to 64bit 99% of my crash problems went away

#9 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:40 AM

View Postthe darkness in all of us, on 05 September 2017 - 01:58 AM, said:

When I uninstalled mwo my mwo problems went away :P

Now if only you would go away.

#10 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 05 September 2017 - 05:27 AM

Changing from pure fullscreen to windowed fullscreen has helped me and many of my friends with crashes too. Simple and easy.

Running the repair tool and having up to date system drivers is also a good bet.

#11 old account 43

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 06:32 AM

I ran in both screen versions and all. Had it happen in both.

I honestly thought it was my hardware having issues at first until I checked the Norton logs. Event was totally random, but happen most of the time around 7pm central time.

Per the repair tool: Steam runs it every time you open the game. Makes life easy.

#12 BARegulator

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 62 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:17 AM

I used to crash quite a bit and get a server disconnected error. Funny thing is after switching to the Steam version, I have not dc'd once. I am not sure that correlation is causation here but it seemed to help me.

#13 Mechfan909

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:46 AM

as an alt-tabber myself, don't alt tab during load times since that is when the game most often crashes.

#14 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:02 PM

View Postkesmai, on 04 September 2017 - 11:51 PM, said:

I'm not joking.

I do it all the time, absolutely no issues. With the extensively long times I have to.

With windows there's lots of tools you can use to find out what's crashing. With crappy windows 10 I had to trace a nvidia driver crash using the "Reliability history" tool from the windows search.
You can use "Event viewer" or type "eventvwr" in the run box. Then check system or applications section at the time of the crash.

There's third party programs that can go more advanced with tracing events up to the point of a crash but I can't remember them. Google always does :)

No one should ever have any instability issues, always test various drivers. Some things get fixed/others broken.

#15 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:03 PM

I don't know the reason of it, but I still experience crashes right after login in 75% cases on my home computer. They started, when I changed my NVidia card to AMD one. It was working fine even on integrated Intel video. All other games work just fine - only MWO crashes. PGI just hate AMD, I guess.

View PostLordNothing, on 05 September 2017 - 12:29 AM, said:

a long time ago i started getting crashes. they started to get regular. nothing had changed other than mwo itself. mostly either manifested as a driver crash, or failure to render the game properly (random polygons everywhere) but otherwise keeps on running, but the game is unplayable because you cant see anything. this mostly manifested on forest colony (about 90% of crashes), but also seen in new caustic at certain points in its day-night cycle and near a specific location on new frozen city being the main offenders.

i had switched to dx9 which initially helped reduce crashes. i did one test where i tried reducing graphics settings which actually made crashes worse, as did increasing them. operating on a hunch that these issues really started to get bad when the switch to 2k textures happened i reduced texture size and that seemed to help. eventually i started testing dx 9 vs 11 and determined that 11 tends to crash more gracefully, not requiring a system reboot to reset the video card (polygons persisted beyond game termination on 9) and a lot less frequently. also did a power supply swap to a very old psu that did clean up some issues, but did not completely fix them. needless to say i have found a configuration that is pretty stable if not optimal to hold me over till i can swing some upgrades. should point out that my framerates usually hold a stable 60fps.

going to get a new mobo, new cpu cooler, new video card and a new psu to see if those will clean up isues. im still on a 4790k and there really isnt a superior replacement available in my current budget range. but all parts are approaching the 3 year mark which is where my rigs usually start to go **** up. so this everything but the cpu upgrade (sidegrade?) its really quite the conundrum.

This sounds like overclocking, overheating or even faulty chip. If problems are becoming worse and worse with time - then it's most likely faulty chip. It will die some day. Try to decrease GPU/VRAM frequency.

View PostEl Bandito, on 05 September 2017 - 01:10 AM, said:

Use full window mode instead of full screen mode and you can alt-tab all you want. If you don't wanna do that, then always bear in mind that alt tabbing is most likely to cause crashes during QP when the screen transitions from mode selection to loading screen, and then match wait screen.

Using windowed mode decreases performance, as game has to share resources with DWM. For me alt tabs have never been causing crashes, except rare cases, when I Alt-Tabbed several times in a row during loading. But that's may be cuz I use DX9, as it's more stable and has better performance. Crash during Alt-Tab usually means faulty game engine code, cuz game should handle Alt-Tabs properly. VRAM may be inaccessible during Alt-Tab for example. Game shouldn't just ignore this fact and crash as the result - it should simply delay any loading till VRAM won't become available again. Other games do it properly. Why MWO can't?

Edited by MrMadguy, 04 October 2017 - 11:13 PM.

#16 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 03:21 AM

sad but true

game cant handle alt tabbing at all

especially during loading screens. if you alt tab during a loadscreen the likelihood of a crash is pretty high.

#17 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 09:16 AM

I use norton and have had no crash issues outside of the random occasional DC. If norton is causing a conflict, my guess it has something else to do with your system and not just norton

#18 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

If you crash, what do you use - AMD or NVidia GPU? Which Windows version? Single or Dual channel RAM?

#19 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,072 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 04 October 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

I don't know the reason of it, but I still experience crashes right after login in 75% cases on my home computer. They started, when I changed my NVidia card to AMD one. It was working fine even on integrated Intel video. All other games work just fine - only MWO crashes. PGI just hate AMD, I guess.

This sounds like overclocking, overheating or even faulty chip. If problems are becoming worse and worse with time - then it's most likely faulty chip. It will die some day. Try to decrease GPU/VRAM frequency.

Using windowed mode decreases performance, as game has to share resources with DWM. For me alt tabs have never been causing crashes, except rare cases, when I Alt-Tabbed several times in a row during loading. But that's may be cuz I use DX9, as it's more stable and has better performance. Crash during Alt-Tab usually means faulty game engine code, cuz game should handle Alt-Tabs properly. VRAM may be inaccessible during Alt-Tab for example. Game shouldn't just ignore this fact and crash as the result - it should simply delay any loading till VRAM won't become available again. Other games do it properly. Why MWO can't?

just running everything on its stock frequency. i dont like to overclock, dont play the binning lottery. i bought this for its stock performance not for what i can squeeze out of it. psu meanwhile is an older psu from some build a decade back that just hasnt died yet. this replaced the original psu that died after 2 years. i think my problems were coming from the video card. being a 750ti, doesnt have a psu connector installed. this caused a power bottleteck that was causing the video drivers to crash.

anyway im gonna swap the card and psu. got me a 600w psu (about 150 superior to the original). moved up to a 1060 6 gig. new ssd because i dont need a reason, and new cables because i dont trust the old ones. opted out of the cpu cooler because of case limitations, keeping the current (stock) clock rates, it is an old chip and i dont want to stress it out. this rigs got to hold me till next year when i can swing the new core components. also have a backup i7 rig thats only one generation older.

Edited by LordNothing, 05 October 2017 - 02:29 PM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users