Painfully Average, Semi Casual, Looking For A Frr Unit.

4 replies to this topic

#1 The Clappalacian

• PipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 38 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania, USA

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:18 AM

I recently decided to leave my merc group (Allegheny Irregulars) in the hands of an extremely capable senior officer in favor of returning to my first love in the Inner Sphere, the good old FRR.
I'm loving the loyalist life, it feels good. But Faction Play, especially as an IS loyalist, is brutal going it alone. So I'm on the hunt for a unit here in the Republic that is looking for recruits. I've long had roadblocks in the way of becoming a useful unit member, hence my originally creating my own. But I'm realizing units are like pants, there's one out there for everyone, and not wearing any can make you look foolish (or amazing if you're equipped for it - which I'm not).

If anyone can deal with my limitations, I'd love to be a part of something again.

But let me be up front and point out those limitations:

1) I've got a toddler, and a wife, and they require much attention. So while I'm online almost daily, the times I'm on and the amount of time are extremely sporadic. This is probably the biggest hurdle to unit membership, I totally understand those that want to be able to rely on people to be available certain times for certain activities, I'm just not able to be that guy.

2) I hate meta. I will drop in some crazy builds, and while sometimes they look like it, I'm not trying to troll. I like variety in my life, and to be honest, an optimal build is anything but if you play it poorly. I won't drop in FP in a build I can't contribute in, but I will get laughed at in a lot of the builds I CAN contribute in.

3) Role Playing is not my thing. I'm all about learning the lore behind the game, I dabbled in the BattleTech card game, and the backstory of the universe is amazing. But I'm not creative enough to act like a canon MechWarrior. If that's your thing, that's awesome, but I'm going to disappoint.

4) I'm often quiet on comms due to above wife and son, and the fact that my gaming area is also my living room. But I'm paying attention, unless I explicitly state that I'm afk for unforeseen circumstances (poopy diapers and such, not common occurrences but it happens for me)

5) I want to remain loyal to the FRR. I don't play clans anymore at all, they never meshed with me, and newtech made the quality gap between mechs much smaller. And from what I do know about lore, I'm not really interested in fighting for the ideologies of any of the other houses.

In game stuff: I'm low T3, slowly improving. Spent a year at T5 rock bottom, tiered up twice in the past few months, finally learned how to play effectively.
I thrive on profanity and sarcasm, but can tread that fine line where I'll still be respectful to other players. The community in this game overall is what keeps me here, and I'm not going to be one of the toxic players that, while fewer in number, seem to be the loudest.
I may not always be playing sober.

If someone reads this, and says: "This guy sounds like my kinda teammate" get in touch. My in game name, forum name, and Steam name are all identical, feel free to contact me anywhere mentioned, or reply to the post. I will be in touch for sure.

Happy hunting, and give those clams hell for me until I'm out there melting faces alongside you!

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:50 AM

Go into the FRR/Kurita TS hub or Discord room and just drop in to various rooms and play a few with various groups. If your thing is really being a casual, non-meta playing loyalist who presumably wants regular CW matches, alas, you are not going to have a lot of choices. I think Sons of Odin is still around and is still casual friendly and still plays CW, but honestly that's about all I can think of who might fit your criteria. 1stH would, but as of late they don't seem to play a lot of CW despite being loyalists.
Yeah, go into the TS or Discord and float around. That's gonna be your best bet to find a group that fits you.

#3 The Clappalacian

• PipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 11:55 AM

Appreciate the info. I'll have to check the FRR hub info again, last time around the discord server invite was invalid/expired.

But I'm definitely more than open to just latching on to groups as a lone wolf, and I'll have to keep my eyes open for some Sons of Odin, I like what they're about, and have heard they're a solid unit for folks of my skill/commitment level.

#4 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

RSOR is a pretty good place to start.

I've fixed the discord invite, and if you're looking to just rub elbows Friday and Sunday night the Hub does CW drops, so those are good times to stop by.

#5 The Clappalacian

• PipPip
  • The Roughneck
  • The Roughneck
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:39 PM

Appreciate it. I made my way to the TS and Discord shortly after that post, and I'm off this Friday night, as well as working morning shift on Sunday. I'll do what I can to be around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users