#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:03 PM

​Hard Cap on cost, because well... I'm PaF.

That said thanks to the community I am able to buy a replacement Laptop, and while not specifically for gaming (though I do need some power for photo editing, Photoshop, Lightroom, etc, all which can seriously bog a machine down) I do hope to be able to do SOME decent gaming on it. But it's primary function will be a reliable computer for work, specifically for editing and creating drawings and photography. And probably for Streaming also, as I anticipate having to do internet English Tutoring and such still for the foreseeable future.

Desires:
16 GB Ram (expandable is even better)
15-17 inch screen (since it's sadly replacing my Desktop also, I need as big a screen as is reasonable... and the bigger the keyboard the better for my huge, clumsy hands)
Nvdia Video Card
1TB Memory

Beyond that I'm pretty open. I also noted that a lot of the models on the market are packing Nvidia 1050+ video cards with 4GD memory, but only 8 GB RAM. Does having the 4 GB in the GPU compensate enough for the lower base RAM?

Any help would be much appreciated. I'm replacing my burnt out 6 yr old HP dv6, which is just overheating like crazy. I'll possibly have a diagnostic done on it to see if it's worth repairing as back up. Too many choices, and tbh not sure which magazines to trust... too many want to push overpriced stuff like Alienware.

I'd love something like this Sager https://www.sagernot...ok-NP8370.html​ , but just can't swing the price.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 12 September 2017 - 03:03 PM.

#2 Odnir

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 04:52 PM

I can't recommend any specific notebook or brand because I'm not from the USA and am not familiar with what is available there. I'm assuming you are American based on the link you submitted being a USA based company.

However as to your concern about the GPU memory as it relates to ram - no, the GPU memory will not be addressed by the computer as if it were general RAM available for other tasks. This is not to say your computer can't access that memory at all for specific tasks. It can. But unless the program you are running was written with that explicit capability, it won't.

#3 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:31 AM

I recently got a laptop from bestbuy that was the display model. saved $400 on a pretty good machine. i7 7500u, 16GB RAM and a geforce 940MX. Not bad for $629. If you have a bestbuy around, check it out and see if they have any open box laptops for sales. The only change I made to it was I installed an SSD that I already had laying around. SSD's are so amazing.

#4 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:34 AM

Yes, SSDs are totally worth it, especially as many laptops still ship with 5400rpm spin disks.

I run the game fine (low gpx specs) on a Dell MX4800 that's FIVE YEARS OLD. You don't need to look at the latest/greatest to run this game if you are not looking to run it at high/ultra high graphics.

4th gen I5 or higher
decent mobile gpx card
8 gigs ram
SSD hard drive
Windows 7 if you can get it

That's not expensive by today's standards. You might even check the refurbs via sites like NewEgg and such.

#5 Jibfu

Rookie

• CS 2020 Participant
  • CS 2020 Participant
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:29 PM

This one is 50 bucks over your budget but meets needs nicely:

#6 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

View PostJibfu, on 13 September 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

That's the same laptop I got in store, open box for $629! The 1TB drive it comes with is mega slow. Runs good with an SSD though.

#7 Moira

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:28 PM

View PostJibfu, on 13 September 2017 - 01:29 PM, said:

I dont want to bash the person, but ill bash that laptop and hard ... sorry.

1) In that super skinny/flat design thats going be heating alot when doing heavier stuff.
2) Dells customer care/varranties are notoriously BAD.
3) 360° flip-and-fold design it is nice for sometime, but it wears down and comes flimsy.... pretty fast 2 years or so on standard heavy use.

* Im not 100% how that "touch screen" handless and lasts, for fact HP ones were decent.. but man I hate that clean that screen due its touch screen =)
** I havent tried to stream with this specific laptop configuration, but what I could find via fast googling on similar platforms Streaming might not option even if using 720p broadcast.

Edited by Moira, 13 September 2017 - 02:35 PM.

#8 Moira

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:51 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 13 September 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

Yes, SSDs are totally worth it, especially as many laptops still ship with 5400rpm spin disks.

I run the game fine (low gpx specs) on a Dell MX4800 that's FIVE YEARS OLD. You don't need to look at the latest/greatest to run this game if you are not looking to run it at high/ultra high graphics.

4th gen I5 or higher
decent mobile gpx card
8 gigs ram
SSD hard drive
Windows 7 if you can get it

That's not expensive by today's standards. You might even check the refurbs via sites like NewEgg and such.

I agree totally to Win7. Win10 is still too "infant" for lack of better word to replace Win7. Only thing that one much check that GPU doesnt share memory with CPU.... that would be like last nail in the coffin.

I havent checked yet and dont know the US market for AMD's Ryzens on laptops, but those are indeed damned good ones and cheap as well. Since OP mentioned for graphical stuff too AMD is kicking Intels arse around on the mid to lower range stuff.

#9 Bivitar

• PipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:22 PM

Here's what Newegg has for those specs:

https://www.newegg.c...ceRange=0%20850

The $825 ASUS refurb looks nice. The Lenovo is a 15" and not a refurb

#10 Jibfu

Rookie

• CS 2020 Participant
  • CS 2020 Participant
  • 8 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 13 September 2017 - 05:23 PM

You can bash it, you're entitled to your opinion, and I see the reasons behind it, but Ninjitsu is currently running it and didn't report any heat issues. I personally always prefer to build a desktop over a laptop for many reasons, but I spent about 20 minutes searching various sites for something that was close to the desired specs and price.

If I were recommending something, I'd say save up, at the 999/1k price point you have more options, or instead of large screen, look at 15 inch and external monitor.

#11 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:08 PM

View PostMoira, on 13 September 2017 - 02:28 PM, said:

1) In that super skinny/flat design thats going be heating alot when doing heavier stuff.
3) 360° flip-and-fold design it is nice for sometime, but it wears down and comes flimsy.... pretty fast 2 years or so on standard heavy use.

* Im not 100% how that "touch screen" handless and lasts, for fact HP ones were decent.. but man I hate that clean that screen due its touch screen =)
** I havent tried to stream with this specific laptop configuration, but what I could find via fast googling on similar platforms Streaming might not option even if using 720p broadcast.

It's all aluminum and dissipates heat pretty well. I haven't had issues with screen folding, works great. Awesome feature for traveling on a plane. I've got a 2013 Lenovo yoga and the hinges are just fine. I'm happy with my purchase.

#12 Martel66

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:45 PM

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y4GZS9C is a great bang for your buck gaming laptop. It was $899 on Prime Day with Amazon. So maybe you can find it on sale near your budget somewhere.

#13 Moira

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 115 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 11:46 PM

View Postninjitsu, on 13 September 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

It's all aluminum and dissipates heat pretty well. I haven't had issues with screen folding, works great. Awesome feature for traveling on a plane. I've got a 2013 Lenovo yoga and the hinges are just fine. I'm happy with my purchase.

Thanks for input. I didnt check/remember that it was aluminum case, my bad and I admit it. Since you have it have you tried to use OBS on it and do twitch check with it. Due I have certain issues with CPU/GPU that how well does it perform ?

#14 ninjitsu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 402 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:08 AM

View PostMoira, on 13 September 2017 - 11:46 PM, said:

Thanks for input. I didnt check/remember that it was aluminum case, my bad and I admit it. Since you have it have you tried to use OBS on it and do twitch check with it. Due I have certain issues with CPU/GPU that how well does it perform ?

When the OP said streaming, he is referring to streaming video from his webcam for work purposes. I don't think this laptop would be good for twitch streaming. The GPU isn't the best out there, I'll try to play some MWO on it and report the performance.

#15 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:35 AM

Quick follow up while I have my computer powered up.

this is actually a 3-4 year old Dell Precision M4800
i7-4900MQ Processor
NVIDIA Quadro K2100M Graphics card
SSD
16 gigs of ram.

I have only upped the SSD in size and doubled the ram, the rest is stock so if you can find one of these, it can run MWO pretty reliably on low settings.

Yes, it is heavy, but it is also STURDY AS F and I've had no problems with it, even running a huge MSSQL server instance on the same platform simultatenously.

So again, if you *have* to stick to a budget look at refurbs with comparable specs or better. and you might get more bang for your buck or at least have more options.

#16 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:10 AM

No matter where you get it, you're probably going to end up with an i7-6700 and GTX 960M at best, and almost definitely with only 8GB of RAM.

1) That honestly isn't nearly as bad as it sounds to some people
2) It isn't going to play at very high settings, more like medium settings, but it isn't going to be a potato either way
3) 8GB of RAM isn't a major issue for most people - if you really want 16GB, just save up some cash and upgrade it yourself later (almost all laptops have the RAM in an accessible place, usually behind a panel with a few screws or something - only jerks put both sticks of RAM in a place where you have to tear the whole thing apart)
4) I have had an okay experience with an i7-4710 and GTX 870M but I really REALLY prefer my desktop
5) It seems like you have a choice between getting a refurb from Newegg at your price point, or a new one from xoticpc (if they'll ship to you). Obviously go with new if you can, and maybe even spring for a cooling upgrade or thermal paste upgrade if it falls within budget.

#17 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:15 AM

Holy crap, I said something and xWiredx corroborated it!

That made my day!

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 04:25 PM

Hey thx for all the info. After much research, cosult on multiple forums, etc...

bought this.
http://www.frys.com/...WBoC7QEQAvD_BwE

ended up getting them to make me quite the deal, and they even ate the tax. Walked out about 100 bucks over budget.... but still under $1000 out of pocket.

Not in love with the lack of optical drive or detachable battery, but those weren't mandatory items for me and the performance level for dollar margin seemed rather good.

Thank you again.

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:05 PM

View PostMoira, on 13 September 2017 - 02:28 PM, said:

I do worry about cooling, and I don't need or desire a touch screen, so I avoided that, TBH.

View PostJibfu, on 13 September 2017 - 05:23 PM, said:

You can bash it, you're entitled to your opinion, and I see the reasons behind it, but Ninjitsu is currently running it and didn't report any heat issues. I personally always prefer to build a desktop over a laptop for many reasons, but I spent about 20 minutes searching various sites for something that was close to the desired specs and price.

If I were recommending something, I'd say save up, at the 999/1k price point you have more options, or instead of large screen, look at 15 inch and external monitor.

and I did exactly that, lol.

15.6 screen, and a little pricier, but so far, i like it!

Mine has an SSD and a 1 TB 7200rpm HD, but tbh, haven't figured out how to pick and choose what goes where.... *sigh* Wish I was a tech natural, but truth be told... I'm not.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 17 September 2017 - 06:07 PM.

#20 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:05 PM

I thought your crowd-funding was to get you a plane ticket home not buy a new laptop, or did I read your crowd-funding wrong?

Nevermind, I read the part about the replacement computer at the bottom, good luck

Edited by Vxheous, 23 September 2017 - 10:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users