If Pgi Started A Kickstarter To Fund An Engine Change...

70 replies to this topic

#61 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

But PGI changed this.
...and scouting was no longer necessary.

(Other fun things. Notice the LRMs from the Dragon. Fired directly at me. However the missiles didn't track me. Notice that insane arc, too. What if missiles didn't track without TAG.... much like LRMs in Battletech that follow tag are called "Semi-Guided LRMs." Muuuuuch faster, higher arcs, but cannot track. That'd create a need for skilled, competent scouts and specifically a new role "Spotters." And when spotting, they would get the same damage reward as the launcher with a little more incentive to be that spotter as opposed to being the launcher.)

If accuracy was a thing, then spotters would also be able to provide that service at longer ranges.

Scouts though, their main thing is to find enemies. What if they could mark two targets at once? Or place a buoy marker briefly marking multiple enemies as a way of saying "They're here!" Not quite a UAV much more brief and with no locking advantages and not shootable, just a thing that works like spamming the R button and an incentive to do it.

#62 Kylere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 690 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:08 PM

From the actual article...

Reference Page 16 PC Gamer Issue 297 dated Nov 2017

"That’s why Piranha Games is starting with Mercenaries first rather than a straight numbered sequel. “Traditionally, you’d make MechWarrior and then you’d make the Mercenaries offshoot,” he explains. “The first one is a linear, story-heavy campaign and then Mercenaries is more like a sandbox. But players want to live out the BattleTech lore, and the best way to do that is to own your own mercenary unit, so we’re going with Mercenaries first.”

Instead of a series of linear missions, MechWarrior 5 puts you in command of a mercenary unit and gives you the freedom to either rise to mythic status or crash and burn along the way. Around 300 planets of the Inner Sphere will be open for business, letting you travel between the Great Houses while taking increasingly demanding contracts and building reputation with each faction as you also manage your lances of warriors and supporting technicians. "

#63 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 September 2017 - 12:18 PM

View PostKoniving, on 17 September 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Keep in mind, it literally turns off your HUD completely.
So you'll be playing like this.

That actually looks more immersive than with the hud.
Would be nice if there was a minimal hud with just crosshairs and blue/red player markers/blibs.

Total Annihilation soundtrack fits that vid nicely btw. Posted Image

Edited by Exilyth, 17 September 2017 - 12:18 PM.

#64 Ted Wayz

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 17 September 2017 - 01:48 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 14 September 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

Except the whales still buying mechpacks.

Have you seen the leaderboards from packs lately? There aren't that many.

Can't see funding anything directly associated with PGI. Indirectly maybe.

#65 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostExilyth, on 17 September 2017 - 12:18 PM, said:

That actually looks more immersive than with the hud.
Would be nice if there was a minimal hud with just crosshairs and blue/red player markers/blibs.

Total Annihilation soundtrack fits that vid nicely btw. Posted Image

Some others.

Got another I'll try to upload by tomorrow, stock Mad Dog versus stock Dragon.
The surprise attack was pretty sweet.

And thank you btw.

#66 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:41 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 14 September 2017 - 10:25 PM, said:

150%.

There is absolutely no chance, after PGIs track history with MWO, would I be funding any further than I have already.

There is is zero accountability for the total non-deliverance of promises made.

#67 Mechwarrior1441491

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 08:38 AM

They can foot the bill themselves. This ever contagious thought that a game company shouldn't do a thing without truck loads of cash coming through the window isn't benefiting anyone.

#68 Gwahlur

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 462 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:32 AM

View PostBurninFinger, on 14 September 2017 - 09:24 PM, said:

I'd throw 3.50 at it.

three fiddy?

#69 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:35 AM

Kickstarter requires goodwill. PGI doesn't have much of that going for them. They're better off selling more mech packs. Or hopefully MW5 sales when it launches. Then using MW5's code as a building block toward MWO2.0.

#70 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:17 PM

View PostSunstruck, on 15 September 2017 - 02:07 AM, said:

Dude PGI already has p l e n t y of money, they gave away over 100K at last years mech con, and many people including myself have spent more money on this game than any other game.

The idea that they need a kickstarter is absurd.

I think you'd be surprised where that $100,000 came from. I reasonably certain that it didn't come out of PGIs cashflow, but came from "other" companies and was designated for the tournament.

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 17 September 2017 - 07:03 AM, said:

Jun, what promises?
At top tier founders you got:
Your name in the credits.
4 mechs with unique paint/geometry.
MC
Forum badges
ingame badges

that is what you paid for, that is what you got.

I'm a gold founder, I know EXACTLY what i paid for, and PGI delivered on that.

Some people sure get their knickers in a knot whenever a Founder or long term player mentions unfulfilled "promises" that PGI made.

It's generally accepted these days that PGI sold everyone a bill of goods in the early days and never came close to what they said they were going to do.

#71 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:17 PM

pgi can buy it themselves. I'll just laugh at the ones throwing away the money. They can pay for transfail,for cw being total bs and not fun, for all the years of not working on mwo with their 90 days and soon nonsense as well as take a good we-told-you-since-2012-as founders in closed beta.

For blocking the player who could have mad a colorblind support 'mod' for free for everyone. We told them years ago they would need to upgrade to a more up-to-date/better engine. If pgi were to hire a smart person and put them in management with the ability to actual make and commit to improving mwo they would use their mw5 experience to make mwo ver 2 in ue4 and possible port as many assets as possible to save development costs etc. If they were smart.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users