325 replies to this topic

#301 CL_Kodiak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts
  • LocationChicago IL

Posted 31 July 2019 - 09:45 AM

I was very excited to just hear about MW5 and rushed here to log back in after who knows when... only to find this post...

Let me just say that the gaming community back in the MW3 days was huge, we all loved... nay TREASURED MW3. We eagerly awaited MW4 hoping it was MW3 with better graphics and some new features. Boy were all of us in my Clan let down. We couldn't believe they took our SIM and turned it into an Arcade-like action game. It was so disappointing, our mech lab was laughable.

We continued to play of course, because it was ALL WE HAD. It faded eventually and we all moved on to other games. Then MWO came around and we reunited many of our old clan mates and thought "This is IT FOLKS, they are doing it right!!! we will have our game back!"

That lasted maybe a month and we all literally faded away again as MWO was just not MW to us. Too much shooter, not enough sim and the customization was a joke just as it was in MW4 but worse!

So here I am in 2019 still longing for a Mechwarrior sim that even comes close to what we used to play back in the day and guess what? Shut down again, so I guess MW as we grew up loving and playing is just a thing of the past and Piranha is no different than the other companies that have owned the franchise. They just don't get it... or they do and refuse to give players what they want. They took the art out of mech design and solving problems and being creative.

I get it - "cannon" "lore" and all the other terms they sling around to justify gutting a great game. It just doesn't work for me :(
If I wanted a shooter I would go play CS because they specialize in the genre. If I wanted a Moba I would go play Dota or LOL because they do it best. Action Shooters? Destiny / Warframe / etc etc

Mechwarrior should be a simulator and we should build our own mechs ANY way we see fit.

Not to mention this is an Epic game exclusive now. Smart move there guys - The game isn't going to do well as it is and you are choosing to expose it to a tiny chunk of the gaming community. I refuse to purchase from Epic just because of the BS i have to put up with using multiple gaming platforms.

If your issue is with the 30% steam takes why don't you give the people the game they want and you''ll sell more copies and retain your audience. Developers need to stop making the game "they want" and look at what the players are expecting.

It's like a chef that spits in your food if you ask for a well done steak... "Excuse me? Well done?! This SOB... I'll give him well done!"

Disclaimer - Im a mid rare steak eater so I am safe lol.

He is so wrapped up in what is a "correctly" prepared steak in his opinion that he is missing out on the fact that the people he is feeding are not happy.

Hate to say it - but I think I am done waiting for another MW game these days. I was pretty excited for about a half hour today though! heh. Sucks...It was my favorite game of all time and I put ALOT of time into the earlier versions of the game. MUCH MUCH more than Mw4 and MWO combined.

#302 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 10:37 AM

I wouldn't worry about customization. From what I've heard on the Discord. Mods for adding customization back in should be possible. It won't be right away. But barring PGI interference or some other unforeseen technical limitation. We should be getting mechlab mods.

Personally I'm curious to try it without customization. To get the feel of progressing through the years as new mechs and variants become available. Though it does make salvage more boring. Somehow replacing an AC5 with another AC5 sounds reallllly boring.

#303 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 11:52 AM

For me i am excited that customzation is limited - it will make you hunt and appreciate the good Chassis, the good Configs and will let you do different Risk vs Reward decisions that will make whole different games from the same situation for having and facing different Mechs.

And yeah, i totally expect mods to undo any restrictions on customizing...so if it is a must for you there you go.

#304 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 03:16 AM

There's at least 3 dozen mod projects out there with their own ideas of how to do customization, from the "I wanna match MWO", to the "lets do it like MW4" crowd, "MW3" crowd, "MW2: Mercs" crowd, to lore-based with improvements on the weapon variety, to what I assume are some original ideas [seen something about weapon cards for one modder, though that could just be basing it on Solaris or Mechwarrior Tactics].. So by the time it releases on Steam, expect about as many customization mods as there are companion beauty mods for followers in the Elder Scrolls games.

That said..
Simulators tend to be based on some sort of concept of reality. Real ones anyway, Goat Simulator doesn't count.
So, you can't take a Rhinemetal 120mm cannon from an Abrams M1A2 and mount it on a generic IFV and expect it to work out.

To use Arma 2 and the DayZ mod as an example, without cheating the process of maintaining a vehicle is a lot of work. Assuming you have the vehicle, there's repairing it, refueling it, etc. In one of the few times we got a helicopter we had 4 people to refuel our chopper with. Two to keep an eye on the perimeter, check the gauges, etc. while 2 more are bringing jerry cans out to get fuel, bringing it back to the helicopter to fill up, etc. Resupplying the ammunition requires getting it. Now, there wasn't really anything about changing weapons on the helicopter, but if there was I doubt we'd be able to just slap pistols onto turrets and have those pistols fire 30mm grenades then we can say "its been refit."

We had found cheater stashes and I know a few guns from that stash I would have loved to mount in place of the spent miniguns we had. Though I imagine some would just mount tank cannons to the sides of the helicopter if they could. But as a simulator that allows you to take off your shirt and rip it to make bandages, it doesn't allow me to turn my car into a missile launcher. It tries to have realistic limits.

That's what Mw5 was going for, realistic limits within the campaign rules. It just goes too far into that direction as campaign rules will still allow you to change stuff but sometimes it could take a few months and major changes often came with setbacks.

Spoiler

MW5's limitation of an AC/5 for an AC/5 is taking the easy way out of having to model lots of weapons and "making them look good." I'm still curious as to how much variety they can do, if the initial AC/5 you get with your Shadowhawk is already 1 shot = 5 damage.

#305 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 04:08 AM

IIRC weapons will be different by manufacturer.
One AC5 may have a better range, the other have better damage etc. There are lots of values you can tweak with that to create slightly different versions of the same weapon. Maybe even find and old StarLeague one?

Overall I like the idea of limiting the costumization. MWO turned into a "all mechs are the same just with a different skin" game because of the less existing limits to costumization. Ironicly Clan mechs where the closest thing to what mechs originaly should have been like.
I would have liked it if you would see an Atlas and would know roughly what he is capable of. Haveing mechs with clear definied roles and so on.
Else its allways just min/max ing the **** out of them what, as said, just turns them into "more of the same" what made me stop buying mechs because I allready had all my variants that I could possibly want but by far not all mechs the game offers.

#306 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:08 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 02 August 2019 - 04:08 AM, said:

IIRC weapons will be different by manufacturer.
One AC5 may have a better range, the other have better damage etc. There are lots of values you can tweak with that to create slightly different versions of the same weapon. Maybe even find and old StarLeague one?

This is exactly the plan. Although the differences between manufacturers are arbitrary and made up, and similar to vanilla HBS Battletech, an AC/5+++ is not an AC/5, it's an AC/10 that's 8 tons and one third the heat.

That is what I fear from PGI's approach. It makes the "AC/5 only with AC/5" work out, but... if it is no longer an AC/5, what was the point?

Which is why I'm doing my own. Two examples and comparison with HBS BT's brand names in spoiler.
Spoiler

Overall I like the idea of limiting the costumization. MWO turned into a "all mechs are the same just with a different skin" game because of the less existing limits to costumization. Ironicly Clan mechs where the closest thing to what mechs originaly should have ben like.
I would have liked it if you would see an Atlas and would know roughly what he is capable of. Haveing mechs with clear definied roles and so on.
Else its allways just min/max ing the **** out of them what, as said, just turns them into "more of the same" what made me stop buying mechs because I allready had all my variants that I could possibly want but by far not all mechs the game offers.

Fully agree. The last line is exactly what PGI was hoping to undo, the min/max of generic sameness.

#307 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:43 AM

I would turn the system upside down. We are in an age of decaying technologie where everything just gets worse, so finding the one component that is still working to its original specs is what you want.

This would be backed up by the lore. What we see in the rulebooks for 3025 are the allready worsend variants on the original StarLeague versions with some tech even beeing lost.
So when you salvage a weapon that is allready 50 years old and has gone through some battles I don't aspect it to be at its original stats but it has some quirk that you can't / hardly fix anymore.

It would be kinda like this:
StarLeague -> The losttech like ER-Lasers, UACs and stuff. The things you will hardly ever find.

3025 Rulebook values -> Fresh from the assembly line of the big companys. Very expansive but without quirks.

Second Hand market -> Lowered values but still close to 3025 rulebook

Salvaged weapons -> They have lowered values from the 3025 rulebook and a quirk or two. Like haveing a bigger recoil then usual or allways aims a bit to the left.

When looking at how decayed a weapon is make sure that its never falling below another weapon so an AC5 dosn't become an heavy AC2. Normaly that could happen very well but most likely you would just sell it for its material value then trying to keep that...but its a game so lets keep it in the boundaries between the AC2 and AC5.

Company quirks and values could be a general theme beside that. Still you should make sure that a given weapon never becomes better or worse then another one.

Players would start with salvage grade weapons and mechs and work their way up.

Oh another point I might add....time. Specificly the time you need for refits. Omnimechs where such a big thing because the low amount of time it takes to refit them. Something that was completly missing from MWO.
Worse yet Omnimechs, the most easly to modify mechs ever where punished with lots of fixed slots.

Back in the days when I was still playing the boardgame our group quickly realised that the min/max-ing that the rulebook for constructions allowed destroyed much of the gameplay and campaigns.
Introducing a much strikter houserule made things much better. Sure you couldn't go out with the ultimate mech anymore but overall the experiance was better. Sadly MWO never realised that in some way. MW4 or was it 3, idea of haveing specific slots so a ballistic could only be exchanged for a ballistic was good allready.

What I would like to see, expanding that system a bit, would be something like an energy system.
Instead of only beeing able to switch around ballistics vs ballistic you would have ports that could support weapons that use a max level of energy. So you can slot in any weapon that dosn't use more energy then this specific amount or in case of ammunition based weapons, there has to be either room to place ammo in the same location or there has to be a supply way to that location from where you want to store your ammo.

Edited by Nesutizale, 04 August 2019 - 09:51 AM.

#308 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 12:56 PM

Sorry for a new edit; but added a bunch of stuff.

View PostNesutizale, on 04 August 2019 - 09:43 AM, said:

I would turn the system upside down. We are in an age of decaying technologie where everything just gets worse, so finding the one component that is still working to its original specs is what you want.

This would be backed up by the lore. What we see in the rulebooks for 3025 are the allready worsend variants on the original StarLeague versions with some tech even beeing lost.
So when you salvage a weapon that is allready 50 years old and has gone through some battles I don't aspect it to be at its original stats but it has some quirk that you can't / hardly fix anymore.

While I completely agree, there's two things standing in the way of that.
"OMG why did you nerf this?"
And
"Factories are still producing weapons."
So while some are old or no longer in production, others are. As such more of a degrading system might work better and the limitations of your repair crew/supplies can factor into how much it recovers. Unfortunately that runs into a third problem... even more programming knowledge required than I actually have to introduce a system that likely isn't in the game.

As such I'm just reflecting these in "versions" of a weapon. Older, used versions are likely in a poorer state than fresh-off-the-factory items, but economically much more affordable / free. As such weapons stolen from bandits, pirates, etc. are probably going to be **** (unless they happened upon a good stash) while something from a high end unit is going to be factory fresh and/or exceptionally maintained.

Generally, lower grade versions of a weapon will have one or several flaws such as being fragile, longer delay between activation and actual firing, tendency to jam or overheat easier, etc.

Edit: Forgot to mention, since weapons are broken down to rated stats per unit of time [5 seconds max to achieve damage, 5 additional seconds for cooldown, with ACs following the rapid fire rule of being able to get a second rating without the 5 second cooldown at the risk of overheating {the weapon itself} which could lead to jamming or exploding]. So the AC and laser weapons already are doing decimal points of damage per individual shot.

Edit 2: One could also tie performance modifiers to the weapon's health, but as simply repairing the health of the weapon or equipment back to full would bring the performance back up to the high end... it sort of defeats the concept of "this weapon's over 300 years old and though it has done well enough and it's been through thousands of repairs, it just isn't quite up to the job anymore. Time to shell out for a brand new one."

It would be kinda like this:
StarLeague -> The losttech like ER-Lasers, UACs and stuff. The things you will hardly ever find.

3025 Rulebook values -> Fresh from the assembly line of the big companys. Very expansive but without quirks.

Second Hand market -> Lowered values but still close to 3025 rulebook

Salvaged weapons -> They have lowered values from the 3025 rulebook and a quirk or two. Like haveing a bigger recoil then usual or allways aims a bit to the left.

Makes sense, but keep in mind Star League salvage is ancient.

(Edit: I already have a few extinct nearly extinct weapons on my list. Rassal Blue Beam is one such laser, it literally becomes completely extinct in 3049 according to the Master Unit List [because it is exclusive to one mech that becomes completely extinct as well]... which means it becomes extinct at the end of MW5's primary story...which in turn means that as the player you might wield one of the last ones in existence. Also have the devious plan of giving it to an ACE since PGI has already stated we could encounter a hero [he wasn't specific but I suspect it would be the Bounty Hunter as the way he said it means he thinks the encounter will be really cool, any other encounter is 'herp-derp there's a hero', but the bounty hunter means it doesn't matter where you run, what you do, "the bounty hunter" will find you and he will try to kill you]. If an Ace (hero) has it, then there's a higher end AI behind the target and more importantly, if said Ace is moving around you'd have to find him to get the weapon. That is similar to Battlezone VR/PC's adversaries, where the adversary can move around the map like you. Any "snuck in" old Star League tech is gonna be done the same way, maybe one or two instances in the universe and hopefully moving around like yourself.)

When looking at how decayed a weapon is make sure that its never falling below another weapon so an AC5 dosn't become an heavy AC2. Normaly that could happen very well but most likely you would just sell it for its material value then trying to keep that...but its a game so lets keep it in the boundaries between the AC2 and AC5.

Makes sense, but if anything falls below the rating its related to a flaw or issue for its version, and not for the weapon simply being incapable of achieving it. (Example, a medium laser that's got a flawed cooling jacket is going to be prone to overheating before achieving the full 5 damage if the weapon is rushed into doing it, requiring the pilot to ease off the trigger a little longer than normal to get that full rated damage).

For those that are design related, it would have some sort of compensation. For example (and lack of an actual name at the moment) a weapon modified to be compatible with a recycling bin would be sacrificing potential ammo volume in order to have space to start collecting spent shells. The return, of course, is significantly reduced rearm prices for that weapon.

Posted Image
Edited in screenshot.
"X" company turns its weakness of a supply shortage into an advantage and decides to make an economic-and-ecosystem-friendly autocannon that stores its spent shells rather than ejects them; allowing shells to be refilled and reused at a fraction of the cost. (The shells are proprietary; ensuring that they will frequently get returning business.)

Or for a combat-only compensation example (although this isn't related to falling short of its rating "because it can't do it" but because of a lot of recoil making it incredibly difficult), the Crusher Super Heavy Cannon (AC/20) is a 150mm autocannon that delivers a burst of 10 hyper-velocity shells (at 2 damage each) per trigger pull. Its one of the few outright stated details in BT. Between being on the higher ends of ACs (the typical high for AC/5 and AC/10 is 120mm) and outright stated to jam its shells out in an insanely fast amount of time, there's a lot of recoil and spread beyond the 270 meter range. This is despite the fact that the Hetzer which carries this AC/20 is described as an "Artillery" unit.. and its AC/20 described as an burst-firing 150mm artillery cannon. As such, while the spread would be absolutely abysmal.. the Crusher Super Heavy would be capable of indirect fire.
(Shorthand: Wild spread beyond 270 meters would leave significant accuracy issues and thus reduce your damage output to a specific target, but a good max range [as long as you don't care about accuracy] and an ability to extend that range even more or fire over walls due to the fact that it's really an artillery cannon! Ideal for dealing damage to a wide area of ground or air forces?)

Company quirks and values could be a general theme beside that. Still you should make sure that a given weapon never becomes better or worse then another one.

Naturally. However, if everything is completely on par, the only reason for preference is simply preference. As such I have some that might seem superior to other variations and could be within exceptional hands. For example the Chemjet Gun (AC/20) given its unique nature is, in its most basic concept, something of a grenade launcher in which how far it goes can be determined by how long you charge it, and how accurate is based on how well you calculate an arc that you cannot see. As such the gun despite how few projectiles are necessary to net damage has an exceptional damage potential to compensate for an immense skill ceiling. (Think Heavy Gauss compared to regular Gauss, but it fires like a dumbfired LRM-5, now imagine how hard it would be to hit anyone).

But to go into company examples:

One I have is the Maxwell DT from Maxwell Manufacturing Inc. The actual laser has little details about it, but I've found that companies producing laser pistols and laser rifles that do have lore and info behind them are often similar, creating a theme, I'm basing on the Maxwell Laser Rifle.. Now when comparing Laser Rifle brands to medium lasers via a ratio calculator using the base Laser Rifle stats and Medium Laser stats as a 1 to 1 ratio, most make that ratio with tiny tradeoffs. Magna's lasers hit a wider area and can hit potentially hit several targets at once at an increase in accuracy without a sacrifice in damage but suffers a steep sacrifice of range. Intek's lasers fire weaker beams but get an accuracy bonus without loss of range due to higher firing frequency. Then there's the Maxwell P-10 Laser Rifle which sacrifices a tiny bit of range (and it doesn't state this but it suffers accuracy), but in turn has "superior armor penetration." When ratio-calculated into a medium laser Maxwell's laser would pump out 8.35 damage. Bit excessive, so I tuned that down a bit. I've taken the reduced accuracy to be less of a "fires off in a random direction" to more of a "harder to deliver damage because the beam lasts longer." After all, lasers either use high intensity to evaporate something (but if the beam lasts longer than a few miliseconds most of the energy will be wasted) or low-intensity to cut into something (which needs to remain on target for a few seconds at least).
So the tradeoff conceptualized is a 1-second beam (comparatively most lasers are using 0.1 to 0.3 second beams with multiple shots required), in which a place must be hit for 0.5 seconds (to achieve 2 damage) and missed for no longer than 0.2 seconds at a time (or else the timer resets) in order to prime the laser's second phase which can deliver 1 damage per 0.1 seconds. (So you must keep on target in the same spot for half a minimum of 0.8 seconds to get 5 damage, or 1 full second to get 7 damage. Be mindful that the plan is to subdivide hitboxes into subsections, so lower-right torso, mid-right torso, upper right torso, etc to make it even more difficult.)

Makes it powerful, but difficult to harness that power as an enemy that's actively spreading your damage would render the Maxwell DT one of the worst medium lasers in the game instead of one of the best.

(Edit: Second concept is to give it a long pre-firing delay [0.5 seconds] and allow it to do up to 1 damage per 0.1 seconds and overheat-cutoff at 0.5 seconds of sustained laser, but you could do a couple of shorter duration shots spread out a bit to get that superior damage as another skill-based idea).

(Edit: Included the source, as well as examples of numerous other company laser concepts derived from the laser rifles.)

Players would start with salvage grade weapons and mechs and work their way up.

Of course (within reason). Depends entirely on how the game starts you out. As I recall, you are left with a legacy. The question is what that comes with. If they outright say you have new or well-maintained stuff (that might degrade quickly because you're initially broke) then it'd be hard to flip around and show you an inventory of trash at the very start.

Since economics are a thing, it is also possible to be so run-down in space money or so far removed from factories producing good equipment that accepting lower grade equipment can be a survival tactic. Battletech is all about attrition (the depletion of resources). For high end equipment, traveling to areas where they are produced is pretty much a necessity, that or taking on a well equipped faction force associated with the equipment you want. High end equipment is a comodity. Some factories will flat out refuse to sell it to just anyone, requiring a license from the faction associated with it. Others will be more than happy to let you buy them, but refuse to deliver (you gotta get your sorry *** over to them). And some things you'll only get by taking. Where these places are among the most guarded, the most dangerous places against things quite well equipped.

So, as is an ongoing theme for my modding, risk versus reward. Want the good ****? The risk is strong but so is the reward good. Want the really, really good ****? Risk and odds are against you, but the reward's gonna tip the scales if you're skilled enough to wield them. Or one can accept a temporary life of mediocrity and safety in order to survive in the face of poverty. Not everything has to be about going up, life has ups and downs. Some of the most interesting points in games is when you lose it all and have to face stronger adversaries with your hands tied behind your back. Since MW5 is meant to do this dynamically with your finances and choices, I enjoy the thought of "it could happen to me" or "better save these for a rainy day."

Oh another point I might add....time. Specificly the time you need for refits. Omnimechs where such a big thing because the low amount of time it takes to refit them. Something that was completly missing from MWO.
Worse yet Omnimechs, the most easly to modify mechs ever where punished with lots of fixed slots.

Back in the days when I was still playing the boardgame our group quickly realised that the min/max-ing that the rulebook for constructions allowed destroyed much of the gameplay and campaigns.
Introducing a much strikter houserule made things much better. Sure you couldn't go out with the ultimate mech anymore but overall the experiance was better. Sadly MWO never realised that in some way. MW4 or was it 3, idea of haveing specific slots so a ballistic could only be exchanged for a ballistic was good allready.

MW5 pretty much has an "AC/5 can only be one of a dozen AC/5". I myself was actually going to open it up to a sized-slot soft-point. Similar to what's already established in battletech if you peer at Sarna.net and its entries for MRM and Mech Mortar, it'll tell you that they are designed to be easily swapped with SRM-# and LRM-#, that's a remnant of a BT softpoint system that was officially developed but didn't catch on outside of BattleTechnology issue which has an incomplete list for a proposed "campaign customization" ruleset in which similar sized items are rewarded with less time and risk to complete while vastly different sized setups requiring "duct tape and backwards ingenuity" would be punished with higher risk of failure (resulting in more time necessary to complete the task) or flaws due to mistakes or issues that come up with, say, trying to duct-tape a PPC on top of a Locust without realizing something like the engine can't handle pumping out the necessary energy fast enough. Another flaw idea is not being able to funnel a way for ammunition to get to a place not meant for it, requiring the weapon to have an exposed external ammo feed.

The size aspect is simple enough, breaking each mech's slots up into internal and external spots of various sizes. If internal, it is completely protected by the armor. If partially external, any slots outside of the allotted internal space will be exposed and susceptible to damage if the region it is in is damaged. It will also visually and mechanically (hit detection) expand that section. Debating on allowing completely external equipment or locking them out as just supplements to internal equipment that's too big to fit. Either way the idea is to reflect the size of the machine and its internal space.

What I would like to see, expanding that system a bit, would be something like an energy system.
Instead of only beeing able to switch around ballistics vs ballistic you would have ports that could support weapons that use a max level of energy. So you can slot in any weapon that dosn't use more energy then this specific amount or in case of ammunition based weapons, there has to be either room to place ammo in the same location or there has to be a supply way to that location from where you want to store your ammo.

Front Mission has a system where the body determines the power supply and the legs determine the weight, and you have to balance the two. In this case what you're describing is potentially the engine or the mech itself sets the power limit.

I've thought of an energy-consumption concept. Its more closely tied to Mechwarrior-style "alpha strikes" (group fire) than as a limitation for customization. This is why my energy weapons have listed per-rating power consumption. I've noticed a trend about engines in some cases, for example Magna engines are really common in mechs with multiple PPCs or a Gauss Rifle accompanied by lasers. Since I plan for lots of variation including engine brand variation.. its a thought.

As I've mentioned above the last quote, though, I already conjured up my own expansion of customization based on a mixture of Mechwarrior RPG, that pair of pages from BattleTechnology introducing the concept, and general campaign customization rules (as demonstrated in Megamek HQ).

Edited by Koniving, 15 August 2019 - 11:51 AM.

#309 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 08:11 PM

View PostKodiak Steiner, on 31 July 2019 - 09:45 AM, said:

I was very excited to just hear about MW5 and rushed here to log back in after who knows when... only to find this post...

Let me just say that the gaming community back in the MW3 days was huge, we all loved... nay TREASURED MW3. We eagerly awaited MW4 hoping it was MW3 with better graphics and some new features. Boy were all of us in my Clan let down. We couldn't believe they took our SIM and turned it into an Arcade-like action game. It was so disappointing, our mech lab was laughable.

We continued to play of course, because it was ALL WE HAD. It faded eventually and we all moved on to other games. Then MWO came around and we reunited many of our old clan mates and thought "This is IT FOLKS, they are doing it right!!! we will have our game back!"

That lasted maybe a month and we all literally faded away again as MWO was just not MW to us. Too much shooter, not enough sim and the customization was a joke just as it was in MW4 but worse!

So here I am in 2019 still longing for a Mechwarrior sim that even comes close to what we used to play back in the day and guess what? Shut down again, so I guess MW as we grew up loving and playing is just a thing of the past and Piranha is no different than the other companies that have owned the franchise. They just don't get it... or they do and refuse to give players what they want. They took the art out of mech design and solving problems and being creative.

I get it - "cannon" "lore" and all the other terms they sling around to justify gutting a great game. It just doesn't work for me Posted Image
If I wanted a shooter I would go play CS because they specialize in the genre. If I wanted a Moba I would go play Dota or LOL because they do it best. Action Shooters? Destiny / Warframe / etc etc

Mechwarrior should be a simulator and we should build our own mechs ANY way we see fit.

Not to mention this is an Epic game exclusive now. Smart move there guys - The game isn't going to do well as it is and you are choosing to expose it to a tiny chunk of the gaming community. I refuse to purchase from Epic just because of the BS i have to put up with using multiple gaming platforms.

If your issue is with the 30% steam takes why don't you give the people the game they want and you''ll sell more copies and retain your audience. Developers need to stop making the game "they want" and look at what the players are expecting.

It's like a chef that spits in your food if you ask for a well done steak... "Excuse me? Well done?! This SOB... I'll give him well done!"

Disclaimer - Im a mid rare steak eater so I am safe lol.

He is so wrapped up in what is a "correctly" prepared steak in his opinion that he is missing out on the fact that the people he is feeding are not happy.

Hate to say it - but I think I am done waiting for another MW game these days. I was pretty excited for about a half hour today though! heh. Sucks...It was my favorite game of all time and I put ALOT of time into the earlier versions of the game. MUCH MUCH more than Mw4 and MWO combined.

Just out of curiosity. What parts of MW3 made it more 'simulation' than newer MW games?

#310 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 12:18 AM

I haven't played MW3 for a long time so my memory is a bit fuzzy but I remember that MW3 feelt more simulation like to me too but I can't remember why. Its just a feeling that is still there.

Maybe because the campaign was more seriouse? I remember that the briefings where more "military" in tone.
Artstyle was also quite "realistic", as much as it was possible back then. Guns had recoil that mattered.

Again, can't say for sure. Would have to play it again.

#311 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:02 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 12 August 2019 - 08:11 PM, said:

Just out of curiosity. What parts of MW3 made it more 'simulation' than newer MW games?

IMHO a lot of it had to do with the weighty feeling of the mechs. Everything had real mass to it, and it was reflected in combat. The fighting was slower, it allowed for great tactical improvisation. It had a very good mech lab (despite not handling internal heat sinks correctly) that allowed for real customization even though it made everything essentially an omnimech. Combined with truly dynamic salvage it made no two playthroughs exactly the same. By comparison MechWarrior 4 felt like a FPS.

#312 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:10 AM

MW3 did seem to be the most "simulation' like when it came to movement and how "weighty" a mech felt. The game did have it's share of issues, however the mech piloting was one of the strong points of the title IMO

#313 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 02:33 PM

Weighty or slow? I tried it out a few days ago. It felt like the acceleration and deceleration were much lower on a Bushwhacker in MW3. Perhaps it's the overall pace of combat that is different. A faster pace comes off more like a standard FPS. While a slower pace is often seen as more tactical gameplay.

Personally I think the faster game play makes more sense. If mechs are moving that slow and unresponsive, you might as well use a tank. And technically MWO's mechlab is also the most accurate to the TT construction rules. And somewhat less cheesy than an armless mech with all it's weapons in it's legs. Or so I've heard from someone who played against other players in MW3.

#314 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:05 PM

MW3 not seen through rose tinted glasses was one of the worst translations of TT into FPS.
In no other MechGame the TTK was that short- use some pulse lasers and snap of the leg of the enemy mech.

The problem is if your game is close to TT its obvious that it will suck as FPS. Something the MW4 devs realized TTK was imho quite long and similar to MWO.

So when I was to choose from all different games and pick rasines...
MW3 - heat system
MW4 - mech lab
MWO - mech models minus weapon visuals
MWLL -electronic warfare, weapon balance, hitpoint system

I would chosse more from MW4 if not for MWLL, MWO for all its graphics it little more than a minimal tweaked MW2.
As well as MW5 might be similar a new costume for MW2:Mercs

Edited by Karl Streiger, 13 August 2019 - 10:06 PM.

#315 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 14 August 2019 - 02:25 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 13 August 2019 - 02:33 PM, said:

Weighty or slow? I tried it out a few days ago. It felt like the acceleration and deceleration were much lower on a Bushwhacker in MW3. Perhaps it's the overall pace of combat that is different. A faster pace comes off more like a standard FPS. While a slower pace is often seen as more tactical gameplay.

Personally I think the faster game play makes more sense. If mechs are moving that slow and unresponsive, you might as well use a tank. And technically MWO's mechlab is also the most accurate to the TT construction rules. And somewhat less cheesy than an armless mech with all it's weapons in it's legs. Or so I've heard from someone who played against other players in MW3.

I think it is a slower paced game in general, although MechWarrior 3 had pacing issues in general anyway. I mean, I liked the idea of the MFBs in concept, but in practice it really slowed down the pacing of a mission. Having to direct them to different locations and then constantly going back to their location for repairs was tedious and slowed everything down. Repairing at enemy mech repair bays made less sense to me, but they did at least help maintain the flow of combat better

As for the cheesy loadouts, I never liked abusing the system too much. I play single player though, so there did feel like less of a pressure to purely optimize weapon locations though.

View PostKarl Streiger, on 13 August 2019 - 10:05 PM, said:

MW3 not seen through rose tinted glasses was one of the worst translations of TT into FPS.
In no other MechGame the TTK was that short- use some pulse lasers and snap of the leg of the enemy mech.

The problem is if your game is close to TT its obvious that it will suck as FPS. Something the MW4 devs realized TTK was imho quite long and similar to MWO.

So when I was to choose from all different games and pick rasines...
MW3 - heat system
MW4 - mech lab
MWO - mech models minus weapon visuals
MWLL -electronic warfare, weapon balance, hitpoint system

I would chosse more from MW4 if not for MWLL, MWO for all its graphics it little more than a minimal tweaked MW2.
As well as MW5 might be similar a new costume for MW2:Mercs

MechWarrior 2 also had a bit of a low TTK and limbs seemed vulnerable as well. I think MW4 did make mechs feel less susceptible to that, and that is one thing I like in MW4 over some of the older version.

My issue with MW4 is mostly the lower graphical detail and maybe the shift more to an arcade like sense. It had a more restrictive Mechlab which I am at odds with, but at the least it wasn't too overly oppressive. It still allowed for some mechs to shine while others fell by the way side due to ideal min-maxing, but that is just something that has plagued BattleTech games forever just due to it's nature.

I still like MW3 for all it's quirks. I do wish it was easier to get running, but that game engine does not like newer systems. I think there is a way to frame limit it (to stop vehicles from leaping into the air and other physics shenanigans), but I really don't feel like messing with it Posted Image.

Really it just makes me wish for some re-release/remasters designed to work on modern systems (MW2 and up), however I wouldn't count on that happening.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 14 August 2019 - 02:27 AM.

#316 Rorik Thrumsalr

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:18 PM

Yeah, I've got really mixed feelings on MW4. I really hate that the weapon system is 100% hitscan, the gameplay really suffers from it. The AI could peg you at max range, and if you were in a medium speed or slower mech it would nail your CT most the time. It also had really janky hitboxes, making certain mechs worthless as they would get cored in the first engagement (i.e. Timber Wolf). It also really nerfed medium to small weapons, really screwing with the balance. It took something like 5 medium lasers to equal the damage output of a single large. There were some mechs that couldn't carry large weapons, they were pure garbage.

I had fun with it, but by the end of MW4 Mercs I couldn't handle the gameplay.

#317 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:09 PM

View PostRorik Thrumsalr, on 14 August 2019 - 12:18 PM, said:

It took something like 5 medium lasers to equal the damage output of a single large. There were some mechs that couldn't carry large weapons, they were pure garbage.

When you consider it for a moment, that should be the correct handling.
How much damage does a Medium Laser do in TT at the range of 5, or 9?
How much damage deals a large laser? at the same range.

When your answer is 5 and 8 you are wrong and so is your argument.

#318 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 12:12 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 14 August 2019 - 11:09 PM, said:

When you consider it for a moment, that should be the correct handling.
How much damage does a Medium Laser do in TT at the range of 5, or 9?
How much damage deals a large laser? at the same range.

When your answer is 5 and 8 you are wrong and so is your argument.

That I would like you to explain.

#319 Karl Streiger

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 01:13 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 15 August 2019 - 12:12 AM, said:

That I would like you to explain.

Its a two part story.
The first:
You know that you have range brackets in TT?
At short ranges up to 3 fields the medium laser hit as accurate as the large laser (hit is just a synonym - its a game mechanic and the roll is named) - of course its possible that both weapons might hit the target in "real".
At a range of 4 and 5 its more difficult "to hit" with the medium laser while the large laser is not affected.

You can put that into numbers. Lets assume your Mech moved and the enemy Mech moved so ypu have a +3 for movement +4 for base gunnery +2 for medium range - target is 9+ so your medium laser at this range does an average damage of 1.38.
While at the same range the large laser deals 4.66 (because the target is a 7+) this is more than 3 times the damage of a medium laser.
So in CBT the large laser is worth the heat and weight because it get better chances to deal damage.

The second part is the armor. Especially when facing light armored targets like a Commando, the large laser will inflict more damage on hit. Almost every hit with a large laser will go critical on a Commando, but it could take multiple hits of medium lasers without issues.

When you put both together... and compare it with MWO - the invalidated the larger weapon damages by plain multiplying armor with factor 2. In TT extra damage and range comes for the costs of heat and weight (with exception of the Gauss). So small mechs can not have large weapons that can destroy another light unit with a single hit - at least not without a price (UrbanMech, Panther).
The second issue was that they invalidated the first part because the to hit mechanic of the medium laser is the same as the large laser, the large laser is only better at ranges above 270m to add insult to injury they even made the burn duration of the large laser longer. This is bullocks Posted Image.

I hope its understandable. If not try to ask question of what you think is unclear.

#320 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:22 AM

View PostRorik Thrumsalr, on 14 August 2019 - 12:18 PM, said:

Yeah, I've got really mixed feelings on MW4. I really hate that the weapon system is 100% hitscan, the gameplay really suffers from it. The AI could peg you at max range, and if you were in a medium speed or slower mech it would nail your CT most the time. It also had really janky hitboxes, making certain mechs worthless as they would get cored in the first engagement (i.e. Timber Wolf). It also really nerfed medium to small weapons, really screwing with the balance. It took something like 5 medium lasers to equal the damage output of a single large. There were some mechs that couldn't carry large weapons, they were pure garbage.

I had fun with it, but by the end of MW4 Mercs I couldn't handle the gameplay.

I feel that way as well.

Also the Catapult looked ridiculously stupid :D

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users